main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Idaho Fans Sign In Here!

Discussion in 'Archive: Idaho Falls, ID' started by Mara_Jade_Fan, Apr 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mara_Jade_Fan

Mara_Jade_Fan Jedi Knight star 6

Feb 1, 2002
    Doug asked me to create this thread. Basically just post your name and a few other things about yourself so we can all get to know each other better. :D

Name: (First is fine)
    SW Related Interests:
    Non-SW Related Interests: {So we know what other activites you might like)
    How did you get started on SW: ("Hello, My Name is Jennifer, & I've been a SW addict since I was 7. . ." - It's fun to share this one).

Let me start off: My name is Linda, I live in San Diego, and I am the Regional Support Administrator (RSA) for the Pacific Region of FanForce. The Pacific Region encompasses California, Oregon, Washington, Idaho, Alaska, and Hawaii. I am 37 and the mother of three children, Leia is 14, Lauren is 11, and Collin is 8. I collect anything and everything with the name Star Wars on it, pictures of my collection can be seen in my Bio. I have also read each and every Star Wars adult novel, and some of the comic books. I also have built/converted a few lightsabers, and currently have both Jedi Robes, a Royal Guard Costume, and two sets of stormtrooper armor. I am also currently working on a Boba Fett costume and X-Wing pilot costume. After that I'll be doing an Imperial Officer, Rebel Trooper, and Mara Jade of course. :D Other than Star Wars I am interested in Nelson DeMille Novels, Computers, traveling, and flying planes. I have been a fan of Star Wars since opening day back in May of 1977 at the age of 11.

Your turn!

2. Oscar_the_Gungan

Oscar_the_Gungan Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 1, 2001
    This is a good idea. There are a few on here I'm not familiar with and it would be good to get to know them.

My name is Erik Nielsen, I'm 29, living in Sugar City, also known as 'The Shug.' I'm a reporter for the Standard Journal and I'm unmaried and without children. I'm serving as chapter rep and president of the Idaho Falls Star Wars Alliance. My interests in Star Wars covers a wide spectrum. I've real alot of the novels and comics, I enjoy collecting, playing Star Wars video games and fan filmmaking. I was very young when I first saw A New Hope in the theater but ever since I knew it was cool. I was also lucky enough to see part of Return of the Jedi being filmed near where I was living in Yuma, Ariz.
    I was a film student so many other interests include a lot of film things. Favorite film makers beside Lucas, include David Lynch, David Cronenberg and Terry Gilliam. I also like the Dune novels and anything written by Phillip K. Dick.

3. Boskone_Kenobi

Boskone_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 15, 2002
    My Name is Barry Finnigan, age 31. Currently of Idaho Falls after a 5 year stay in Boise and 2 years in Los Angeles before that (where I worked at Disneyland). But raised here. Now married with a baby boy and girl. Baby Boy got a SW reference for a name, albiet not immediately obvious: "Ian."

I saw SW first run in '77 as a 6 year old and never had a chance since. Since then my SW interests involve costume making (one jedi, one Plo Koon, pics on my website), and reading. But the early stuff. REALLY early. The stuff from the 30's that inspired Lucas: John Carter of Mars, Lensmen, etc. And any proto-SW script that I can find, the ones where Luke was rescuing his brother named Deak rather than his sister, and the Sides of the Force had names, etc. I also spent an enormous amount of money getting the complete run of Marvel Star Wars Comics from 77-86, and still have my complete Kenner action figure collection.

Other than SW, I went to a Horror make-up school while in LA, and make gorific costumes for Halloween. I also have an affinity for fantasy and magic, and made a Dungeons and Dragons Fanfilm over the summer (on the website).

I play videogames until I pass out, my fav being STARCRAFT, which attempts to weave in homages to almost every sci fi production ever made (one of the characters frequently says "I find your lack of control disturbing.)(And I took 1st in a Boise tournament some years back).

I am currently in Grad School for a Masters in Education, to be done next year.

4. jedi5150

jedi5150 Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 4, 2000
    Thanks for doing this Linda!

Hi all, my name is Doug, and I'm a Star Wars fanatic...

Seriously:

Name: Doug A
    SW Related Interests:

People who don't understand often ask me "You do know it's just a movie, right?" and that's the point. I love the movie-making aspects of SW. I love them BECAUSE they are movies. Great story telling, but the technology behind the camera is what I am the most intrigued by. Be it bluescreen modelwork of the OT or CGI of now, I eat it up. I collect as much as the $$$ will allow, but I am fairly picky. I really am focused on replica props, specifically lightsabers and blasters. I have replicas of 8 lightsabers (Luke ANH, Luke ESB, Luke ROTJ, Vader ANH, Vader ROTJ, Obi-Wan ANH, Obi-Wan TPM, and Yoda TPM Visual Dictionary), a replica Han ESB blaster (all metal except the scope), and I have built 3 PVC pipe Stormtrooper blasters. You too can build one for about $30.00! I also have a set of fairly decent jedi robes, and I am currently in the planning stages for a Han Solo costume and an X-Wing pilot costume. My ultimate SW goal is a full-size, fully radio-controlled R2-D2 (well, and that job at ILM).

Non-SW Related Interests: Video games (I love the classics), burgers, pizza, all things computer (I teach computer networking), and oh yeah, sleep....

Wow, that's a lot of rambling...

5. nordicgal

nordicgal Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 12, 2002
    Ok! I guess it's my turn!

My name is Laura, and I'm 35. I live in Idaho Falls. I am not married, but I do reside with Alan, my "partner in crime" for the last 13 years! [face_love] We have 2 dogs (a blue heeler/mix and a Dalmatian), a cat, and a 60-gallon fishtank.

I am very interested in Star Wars (more so in the original trilogy), but because of time restraints and lack of money, I am not as involved as I'd like to be. (I am currently finishing up my doctorate at the University of Nebraska.) I love all the movies, and I frequently check the websites and read The Insider. Given more time (and money), I'd like to begin reading all the novels and get more into costume making. I have a few toys that I've snagged over the years, but I don't consider myself a collector.

I am interested in many other things, although currently my main interest is to finish my schooling!! :D I also like watching other movies, listening to music, playing video games (Q*bert is my fav), and reading (although I don't remember what it's like to read for "fun!") I also enjoy cooking, playing with my dogs, camping, and researching my family's history/genealogy.

I saw Star Wars: A New Hope when it came out in 1977 and I was 9 years old. It just blew me away! It was totally awesome to see Princess Leia, a brave heroine who could fight for herself!! That made a big impression on my little brain at the time. My other favorite character in the SW universe is Chewbacca.

6. Marvincade

Marvincade Jedi Youngling

Apr 29, 2003
    My name is Alan, I am 35 and I live in Idaho Falls with Nordicgal. My interest in Star Wars, besides the movies, revolves around the arcade and computer games. Part of this involves restoration and emulation of arcade games. I have the flight yoke for The Empire Strikes Back arcade. The yoke needs a replacement spur gear and some new potentiometers, my ultimate plans for it is to create an analog computer flight yoke to play all the Star Wars flight Sims. Some of my arcade handy work can be seen on my website at

http://pages.prodigy.net/awertsching/marvincade.htm

On the side I work as an Organic Chemist (MS degree), i.e. I get to blow up stuff.

7. BithLord42

BithLord42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    Hi Everyone,
    My name is Ryan Atwood and I too am a Star Wars-a-holic. I noticed that I'm the first one to post on this thread that is not older than the first film.
    I'm 24 years old, which means the first film came out two years before my birth, therefore, I don't remember not being a Star Wars fan. Many of you know that Doug (Atwood founder and former President of the IFSWA) is my older brother, so by the time I came around, he was already a major fanatic, and so I grew up with a major enthusiasm for the films. I'm told Empire was the first film I ever saw in the theatre, and still 24 years later remains my favorite. My first real clear memory is of going to Jedi in the theatre, in a wheel chair (I'd broken my leg a few months earlier and was too small a little guy to fit crutches) that was pretty cool, I got to sit in the eisle.
    Anyhow I guess I hold an interest in pretty much all aspects of SW, I've haven't read many of the books, but I've read a few, I've collected some figures and other collectibles. I do collect both the Empire and Republic comic book titles monthly. I have a few replica props (mainly birthday and Christmas gifts from my brother.) I've been involved in the production of three fan films: I was screenwriter, assistant director, and actor on a film called The Masked Jedi, I was an actor, and contributing writer (because the film was done improv, all the actors were writers) on Erik and Adam's film Wan-abi, which received an honorable mention for last year's fan film awards, and I'm currently working as an actor on Repo, The Rodian Repo Man. I have one Jedi costume (which I don't fit into anymore) and I hope to do more costuming in the future. I also want to write some text fan-fiction, but have never quite gotten around to it.
    As for non Star Wars stuff. I like to write and draw, I collect comic books (my collection's nearing 1000 books!) I play the saxophone (but I only practice once in a great while) and I sing karaoke. My musical interests are mainly jazz, swing, blues, early rock n' roll, and 80's hair metal. I'd like to lead a swing band someday, but that's about as likely as that dream job at ILM we all have.
    My favorite non-SW books are Big Trouble by Dave Berry, Cruel Shoes by Steve Martin, High Fidelity by Nick Hornby, and of course the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Trilogy (all 5 books of it) by Douglas Adams.
    My favorite non-SW movies include Batman, Spider-Man, Blues Brothers, Back to the Future, the Indy Trilogy, Clerks, Groundhog Day, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, and the early Muppet Movies.
    I also have an interest in classic comedies, and enjoy the works of Chaplin, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, Bob Hope, The Marx Brothers, Abbott and Costello, and Martin and Lewis (yes I actually find Jerry Lewis funny, I'm a sick man.)
    Anyhow, that's about it for me. Sorry this is so long.
    Talk to you all later,
    Ryan A.

P.S. I have a personal website at www.atworld.freeservers.com (the mp3 downloads don't work yet, sorry)

8. MalcolmTolemac

MalcolmTolemac Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 6, 2002
    Is it okay for Boise members to post here too?

My name is Marc, I live in Boise, and I am the Co-City Rep of the Boise Id. FanForce. I've just recently turned 30 and can't decide if I'm old or just begining my second childhood. I don't have any children of my own as of yet, but I am married to my own Mara Jade/Nicole Kidman. Her name is Heidi. I collect almost anything and everything with the name Star Wars on it. I'm trying to complete my novel collection mostly. There are a few things I won't collect, but not many. I have six lightsabers on my belt(three of which are toys, the other three I built myself) not at the same time, however... a fan film under it (ha, ha), and two Jedi robes. I would like to get my own stormtrooper armor someday. Other than Jedi, Vader, and stormtroopers I like to come up with original characters/costumes that could fit into the SW universe. (In other words I don't have much interest in coping every single costume out there. Not now anyway.)
    Other than Star Wars though still somehow a part of it, I love swordfighting and teaching it to others, I facilitate a youth group for my church's 5th and 6th graders which has a SW theme, and I love playing any computer game that puts me in the SW universe, especially Jedi.
    I am interested in things outside of SW. I enjoy reading and writing, model railroading, computers, travel (have been to Fox studios DownUnder), composing and playing music, and just resently become interested in film production (and I'm finding out I'm pretty darn good at it too. The only format I'll check out at the video store anymore is DVD to get all the behind-the-scenes stuff and see if there's anything I can learn).
    I have been a fan of Star Wars since as far back as I can remember. Star Wars in May of 1977, at the age of 5, was the first movie I can remember ever seeing. My dad drove my older brother and I a few hours away from home to where it was playing. There was a short time when I wasn't as big a fan as I am now. Star Wars and my enjoyment of it continues to open up new doors for me. So for now, I'll just sit back and enjoy the ride.
    Jedi Photo

9. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Marc,
    You bet Boise members can post here!

Doug

10. Idaho_Vorkosigan

Idaho_Vorkosigan Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 8, 2003
    Hey all, my name is James, but if you ever see the name "Idaho Vorkosigan" on the net, it's little 'ol me.
    I live in Meridian, and turn 22 on the 22nd of this month. My interest in Star Wars came about when I was 10 years old... I had very few real male influences in my life, but the two that were consistent were my two older cousins, whome I of course Idolized. Their love of Star Wars blazed quite brightly in me for a very long time, but lost most of it's grip come '99. I love and cherish the "holy" trilogy and always will, but the new one holds little awe for me, other than the delightful Natalie Portman, who herself even has seemed to loose a lot of her childhood intensity. The main reason I'm all for the group is to be part of a collection of friends. That above all else is why I loved Star Wars... the friendships that were forged through adversity.

What Else? I'm big into collecting movie prop replicas and costumes... I have a number of Indiana Jones, Lord of the Rings, and Harry Potter items, in additon to all my Star Wars stuff. I have taken martial arts off and on throughout my life, I used to teach sailing, I work in a group home with mentally disabled children, and I watch 24, Alias, and Smallville religiously.

-James-
    "Idaho Vorkosigan"

11. RABIDJAWA

RABIDJAWA Jedi Youngling star 2

May 20, 2002
    My name's Adam Forsgren. I'm 29, and hopelessly hooked on Star Wars. I love the toys, the comics and just about anything that's got a Star Wars Logo on it. Apart form Star Wars, I love movies, both watching them and making them. I really love screenwriting. I've developed a big thing for old Marvel comics recently, especially the Fantastic Four. I like reading books by Chuck Pahlaunik (is that how you spell it?), Phillip K. Dick, and old hard-boiled dectective novels. I love music, especially early metal, like Judas Priest, Motorhead, and Sabbath, and blues, like Albert King, Elmore James, and John Lee Hooker. I'll listen to just about anything except for noodly jazz and country (although Faith Hill and Shania Twain are HOT!). I play guitar, but I don't know how good I am. I also love toys (Star Wars and Marvel Legends mainly). I guess to sum it up I could say I'm just a geeky little kid who refuses to grow up.

12. INDY-RY_KENOBI

INDY-RY_KENOBI Jedi Youngling

Apr 23, 2003
    Okay, here's Mine!

Name: Ryan Lewis
    Hobbies: Though born a year after Empire Strikes Back came out, my brothers had TONS of Star Wars toys growing up, so I, too, enjoyed playing with them, and even collected a small ammount of figures from Return of the Jedi, and those two Droids and Ewoks cartoons that ran for a short time. I STILL have my Baby Ewok plushie, and my brother has his Wicket the Ewok plushie set aside for safe keeping.

Me? I really started to hit it big in 1996, when the original action figures were re-released again. I was about 8th grade at the time, but became a TOTAL Star Wars Geek again! I read the new books released, such as Tales from the Cantina, Tales from the Bounty Hunters, and Tales from Jabba's Palace, since all of Lucas' awesome-looking alien races ALWAYS amazed me! :) So thus, I began collecting all of the older stuff, until the Phantom Menace Came out. Then, it was 2000, but I still collected some of the "main characters", and was glad that I could FINALLY see the Star Wars films on big-screen! :)I went FIRST DAY; all "geeked-out" in my home-made Jedi Robes that I made for the opening day of Episode 2, and I even won a halloween costume contest for dressing in my robes, and wearing a wolf-man mask, with wolf paws! I guess I just thought that I'd make up my own "Wolf-Jedi", and it was a hit! :)

Other than Star Wars cards, books, comics, and action figures, I collect an assortment of other toys:

I am a BIG collector of figures and video games. Star wars: I collect the toys, comics, and cards. I also collect Classic Video Games, and have a Nintendo Entertainment System, as well as Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64, and Game Cube. I enjoy the other game consoles, but I'm more of a "Mario Guy", I guess you could say! ;) I also collect various Action Figures, such as the X-men, Marvel, and DC superhero lines that were released by Toy-Biz in the 90s. I even have some of the original '80s Justice League and Marvel figures, including the FIRST Spider-man toy with his own "Spidey-Mobile"! My brother and I REALLY love Super-Heroes, so we have a box of at least 100 of them. I also collect He-Man: Masters of the Universe, Gi-Joe, Spawn, Marvel Legends, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Stan Winston Creatures, Video Game Figurines, such as Final Fantasy, Super Mario Kart, and Metroid (my latest fascination; why didn't they make Mario figures when I was growing up?? Oh, well; o solo mio, right?! Heh.. a bit of italian humor there), Most of the old line of Star Wars, Gi-Joe, and Transformers belong to my older brothers, and the 1996-current figure lines belong to me. I guess I was always jealous of my brothers' toys when growing up, so I got my own collection going to "expand" theirs, and couldn't stop!
    Current Job: I work part-time at the Idaho Falls Public Library at the Circulation Desk. I am also editor of the Gonk Gazette, the IFSWA's local Newspaper that just recently started. That is a lot of fun, though I'm a bit rusty at it, just now...
    Future Plans: Want to work with large cats at a zoo, or animal training facility. See, animals have always been big on my life, and when I was younger, I loved the dog, because dogs love to get lots of attention. But as I got older, I came to liking the cat a bit better, since cats are more independent, and do their own thing, and not as expensive to care for. Perfect; for a college guy like myself! :) Anyhow that is enough about me. Geez; was it REALLY this long?? Sorry, guys,, I got carried away!!

13. Ariadnae1

Ariadnae1 Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 15, 2003
    Hi all. I thought it was about time I did this, everyone else is doing it.

My name is Erin Skinner. I am 29, and right now my claim to fame is the fact that I volunteered to be Secretary at the last meeting. GO ME!!:D Actually, I kinda feel like a poser right now. I got into this club by working with Doug's wife Michelle. She asked me if I liked Star Wars one day, and I told her yeah, I do. She invited me to the next meeting, and I guess the rest is history. I don't collect anything, but I do want to get all the movies on DVD. All I have are Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones. I do think it would be fun to get into costuming, I can sew, and maybe making props. I love to read, mainly murder/medical mysteries and watch lots of movies. I also like long walks in the beach, and getting caught in the rain. :D just kidding. That is about it for me. I must say though, I am glad Michelle invited me. You guys are all great, and I hope that I will be forming lasting friendships.

Peace to all.

14. MrsStrahd

MrsStrahd Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 4, 2002
    Name: Valerie Finnigan

SW Related Interests: all the movies, fanfilms, movies about fanfilms, acutally playing with the toys (along with my kids)the archetypes and mythologies that influence SW, costuming and makeup

Non-SW Related Interests: being something other than a member of the area's dominant religion and ethnicity. It makes me different, and is,therefore, all the more appealing. ;)My marriage to Barry, which I'm not sure is entirely unrelated to SW, raising my kids, skiing, bicycling, hiking, martial arts, and dancing, especially teaching Irish dance!

How did you get started on SW: Long story, a couple generations long, at least. My dad's a big sci-fi nut, and my mom likes anything that stimulates the imagination. So when something came out that looked like it would surpass T-R-E-K in quality, my whole family took notice. So I guess I could say I got started on SW when it first came out, when I was 3, but long before that, it seems I was hard wired to be an SW fan.

15. cmdrwillard

cmdrwillard Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 6, 2003
    Name: Eric Roper

I am currently serving as secretary/treasurer of the Boise Fanforce, The best Fanforce in the state. I have been a fan of Star Wars since seeing in May of 1977. My favorite film is ESB and I am more inclined to the OT than the PT.

I enjoy the "spirit" of Star Wars and how it brings a great group of fans together.

16. bobafett321

bobafett321 Jedi Youngling

Jul 28, 2003
    Well, My name is Nick Winterfeld, I am 17 years old and live in Idaho Falls. I like to play all sorts of Star Wars games, I really enjoy playing the RPG. I read alot of the books and I also collect the characters and enjoy prop. building. I am currently planning on building some Fett armor (so anybody who could help give me info on building, i would be gratefull.)
    some of my non-Star Wars activites are sports, playing D&D, collect cards and comic books. I got hooked on Star Wars when I was a very little kid. I am the only one who has posted who is a second generation Star Wars fan. My first memory ever was watching the Speeder chase in Episode VI, "Return of the Jedi" and so I am still hooked on the Saga.

17. bobafett321

Jul 28, 2003
  18. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    Name: Frank-Joseph Frelier
    SW Related Interests: Mara Jade is my main obsession. Jade Crusades proves that! ;) I'm also obsessed with art and Star Wars. One of my hobbies is communicating with professional Star Wars artists. I also like doing my own Star Wars art, and it's my goal to one day get something published.
    Non-SW Related Interests: I'm going to USC in Los Angeles in a week. I'll be studying art and film. I'd like to be an art director or a concept artist, and help make really cool movies! :p If that doesn't work out, I think I'd enjoy doing wild life art. I'm also interested in journalism and reporting, and different cultures. Oh yeah, and I do a lot of art in my spare time! And a little acting.
    How did you get started on SW: Actually, it was a dare. In the 6th(?) grade, a friend of mine got very upset because I'd never seen Star Wars. I rented the 3 movies that night, and have been hooked ever since!

-Mazz

19. StarWarsGrammy2

StarWarsGrammy2 Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2003
    Hi,
    My name is Judy, I am past 40. My boys grew up watching Star Wars and I just sort of listened and bought! I was a busy mom!
    My son's have grown up and are still SW Fans. One of them sort of "Tripped," over Star Trek for a while, but now he is back on course!
    I am also the Proud Grandma, of two little Padawans!
    I watched Episode 1, and "Fell in Love," with Amidala, and started collecting, everything with her name on it!
    I went to the parade in Preston and it was so much fun and we were treated so wonderful by the group there, that my husband and I decided to join this group. We watched the first 3 movies, last week and now we are working on making costumes.
    I also like Shmi-I can identify with her a little more. Shmi, started that family, I started this one! With some help from "The Force!"
    Thanks for inviting us to join you!

20. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    HI mom!

Glad you found your way here ok!

21. BithLord42

BithLord42 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 18, 2003
    I tripped, over Star Trek?
    Ok, I guess that's a good word for it, but hey, that brief stint paid off when we made Wan-Abi.
    I just for the record want it to be known that that dark period of my life is long since over.

anyhow live long an. . . I mean, May the Force be with you. Yeah, that's the ticket

Ryan

22. StarWarsGrammy2

StarWarsGrammy2 Jedi Youngling

Aug 20, 2003
    Hey Ryan,
    I Never said that Star Trek was bad for you.
    I have some great footage of you back then. You were young, 12,? You did great impressions! Things would appear and then disappear, what were those little figures you used? Oh yes! Star War Figures!
    No matter what you ever did, you were great at it! All I have are good memories of all of my kids! I am proud of each one of you!
    Mom

23. amazonqueen16

amazonqueen16 Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2003
    Name: Kiery
    SW Related Interests: Everything
    Non-SW Related Interests: horseback riding, reading, vball, football, cooking, music, piano, gardening, etc.
    How did you get started on SW: One day I just saw the trilogy and was like "Hey I want to see the new ones!!!" Its snowballed ever since.

24. jedi5150

Dec 4, 2000
    Welcome Kiery!

I'm sure you'll find that we're a friendly bunch, even though this isn't the busiest board on tf.n....

Feel free to join us at our meeting this Friday night, October 10, 2003 at 7:00pm. It will be at the Idaho Falls Public Library in one of the meeting rooms (near the doors by the railroad tracks and parking lot).

You're more than welcome to come visit, we just ask that since you're under 18 you bring an adult with you. :)

Again, welcome!

Doug

25. bobafett321

Jul 28, 2003
    Wait, that means that there might be two of us "underage" members then. It is a small world after all.

Nick

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.