main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

If your script doesn't have black people in it is it consider racist?

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Jangofat, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buliwif

buliwif Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2000
    here's the best way to handle it... when casting for your film, pick THE BEST ACTOR FOR THE JOB... no matter what race, creed, preference or what ever.... the parts in our script can be played by ANYONE... and i mean that literally... we even left several characters open to be human or alien... lol

and as far as black people being starwars fans? heck, my writing partner (well, he's actually doing all the writing... i just give him ideas) is mixed race... and his father is a BIG fan.... so i'd say that's a big yes there...

so basically just go with what works... find actors that you feel are the best suited for the roles, and all will be fine... remember, this is Star Wars we're talking about... anything goes...

2. DarkATX

DarkATX Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 14, 2000
    ...and then there's my crew and myself. :D
    I'm from up north too but I've written my family in it plus one friend (who's pretty much family in our eyes) and he's white making him the minority. I'd hate to think I'm suffering from reverse-racism.
    It's no biggie at all. [face_mischief]

3. Iyidin_Kyeimo

Iyidin_Kyeimo Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 21, 2000
    LOL! This reminds me of some loon on the radio yesteray accusing the 5-live commentators of being racist because they were critisising Emile Hesky (because he isn't having the best world cup)... forgetting of course that another black player on the England team (Rio Ferdinand) is being talked about as if he is the best player of the world cup, as are plenty of others in the team.

Any ethnic mix wouldn't be racist, all white, all black or whatever. Racism is where you discriminate because of race. Therefore, if you're leaving out the best person for the job because of their race or even putting them in because of their race (which you seem to be doing), that's racist.

4. halibut

halibut Ex-Mod star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 27, 2000
    This is a valid question, due to the many fanatics out there that are willing to jump on the racist bandwagon. I started a thread in GBFF about an awards ceremony I saw on BBC which was exclusively for blacks and asians - something I personally took offence at.

With the way the world is now, people are trying so hard not to be racist, that they end up going the other way. Some British MP today at a teacher recruitment drive said he wanted to see more black and asian teachers in British schools, and this was accepted. If he had said more white teachers, he'd have been fired

But back to your question, write your film however you like

Hal

PS TESBY had a black actress in it

5. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    Ok, sry I am to tired to read the rest of these posts, but I think his answer HAS been answered and that it is pointless to go any further, we all know that we couldn't care less if he didn't have a certain ethnic group in his movie. So I say, end of discussion. Unless you have something really really really important to say, but I doubt there is anything to say.

;)
    Kyle

6. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    I don't know any black people, that's why I don't have any in my fan film.

As for this discussion (it barely is one)...

The question that started this thread is of course unnecessary. I don't have a talking sausage in my fan film either... am I discriminating against talking sausages now?!? It's not what you DON'T have in your fan film... it's what you DO have. If you have racism in your film, it's racism. If you don't have it, and don't have any black people in your film because of a TOTALLY different reason than racism, everything is all right.

If you don't agree, take into account, that you would have to have ALL nationalities in you fan film, otherwise you would be discriminating against ANY race missing from the film... even aliens... remember the CG work you'd have to spare... what a hell...

Discussion closed? I hope so.

Take care... what's left of it.

7. JediDrew

JediDrew Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2002
  8. andakin

andakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 8, 2000
    Agreed, with the general consensus.
    If you're writing a script that hasn't been cast, though, it's good to leave race open, and take the best actor for the job. Don't write the part as "Johnny Force is a white male 5'8" tall, with brown hair and blue eyes." Make sure you take the best guy for the part, somebody you can work with, and is qualified. And don't let anybody give you some "Affirmitive Action" crap. Just make sure open casting isn't done on basis of race. That's all.

9. council_of_trent

council_of_trent Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2002
    You also have to think about what side of Star Wars your story takes place on, just for accuracy. The Empire is more racist than even the Nazis were, and all you'll see there is old british white guys. In the Rebellion, they are completely against the Empire, and the only reason we just saw a bunch of humans there is because it was a low-budget movie. I would think that you would have an incredible variety in a scene with the Rebels, but the Empire is very monotone. Like Lucas said in his interview with Leonard Maltin: "The Rebels all have color, and the Empire is colorless, heh."

10. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Notice how Jango hasn't reared his "racist" head again? ;) :p

Will someone PLEASE lock this thread.

11. obrian93

obrian93 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 24, 2001
    Don't lock it yet! Wait for me to talk and then lock it.

On more thing that no one has mentioned is that very few of us are going through casting agencies. Most of you collect your friends for for a few weekends and bash things out as quickly (and as well) as you can between school, work, and family. You use who you can.

Some of us are luckier than others. I'm in a location with a huge mix of everyone so I can really score with finding the talent I need no matter what they look like. This also means that I have a pool of talent that may be diverse in appearance, but seem to be united in thier ability to snicker at me for being a dork.

As for my opinion regarding the imagined nobility of this subject: Find the best people you can for a part and things will shake out fine. Avoiding people for purposes of stupidity will be obvious and serve only to make you look that much more stupid. Write and cast a show for the sole purpose of having "one of everybody," and you've got the bridge of the Enterprise.

12. Thayne_Correlles

Thayne_Correlles Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 27, 2000
    I hate to agree with Tac ;), but maybe this is the time to lock the thread, and without wanting to sound arrogant or picking any one in particular, but there are too many ill-informed, un-educated, muppets in this here town, infact muppets is too polite, there's too many ill-informed, un-educated Ewoks in this here town. (and they're the worst kind of muppet.)

Thayne

13. scudknight

scudknight Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 2, 2000
    Whats a Nubian? :)

14. Fremen

Fremen Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 10, 2001
    All those things were not very important. :p

I said this thread is done! And everyone agrees. So lock this thing, it doesn't take you guys very to lock MY threads does it? So whats taking you long now? Wait I know its becasue I want it locked? RACISM against Fremens!!!! :p

;)
    Kyle

15. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Here's the thing. If you're writing the script and the story calls for a particular person of color, then put them in.

If you're casting your film and a person of color is the BEST one auditioning for the role, PUT THEM IN.

It really isn't a racist thing. It's where the story goes, who the characters are, and who's best to play those roles.

That's the way I look at it.

16. Semaj Ovured

Semaj Ovured Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2000
    Grape soda is a black thing?

I like grape soda, so I guess that means I'm not racist.

"We are the world, we are the children ..."

Come on now, join in with me!

17. Laserschwert

Laserschwert Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2001
    OR.... as an alternative to joining in with you... CLOSE THIS STUPID THREAD!!!!

Thanks.

18. niennumb1

niennumb1 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 10, 2001
    I thought about this very thing. In my first Toy Wars movie, there was not really much diversity in it. I had a couple asian characters, but no one else of any color (even though I see everyone as one type of human, but just being descriptive as far as appearance detail). We have a black character in my new Toy Wars movie and he's in it for a good 5 minutes of the movie, so I am VERY glad we were able to get some more diversity in this new one than before. I don't ever mean to disclude anyone from other cultures, I just don't know lots of friends of other cultural backgrounds.

There is one issue I do have to figure out (that was very unintentional) is that the rare toy the collectors have to find is the variant "black slave leia." As I said this name to myself in recent past it sounded to me like a black person who is a slave, only it's Leia. The ACTUAL look of the toy is JET BLACK (more of a black vinyl outfit) and not at all like black as in race. I will have a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie to cover for that remark in the beginning to avoid any nasty remarks some might have. I know it's not a huge deal, but I feel bad that we called it that in the first movie, but that is exactly what it is called. Hopefully people will see past that.

We shouldn't have to think about different races though in our movies. Unfortunately these days people will criticize you for just about anything you put in a movie, so it's kind a catch 22. You just can't win either way.

19. DarthVader79

DarthVader79 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2001
    Wouldnt really call it racest.

Episode 4 never featured single black person.

And Mace Windu returns once again as the only black guy in the prequel trilogy.

I wouldnt call it racest. Why is it only offended when black people arent featured?
    What about all the other races? My fan film features a huge asian cast.

20. Douz

Douz Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 15, 2000
    "Whats a Nubian" Scud....that gave me a good laugh.

Actually in our new fan film Star Wars: Conspiracy we do have an African American in one of the roles.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.