main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC I'm thinking of buying a new iPhone

Discussion in 'Community' started by zOMG, Sep 6, 2013.

1. zOMG

zOMG Jedi Knight

Oct 2, 2005
    Do you have any advice
    My friend says the Samsun galaxy s four is very good but the htc 1 looks even better to me. Or what about Motorola google phone

The problem is money they are expensive but then again the advantage if iPhones are you don't have to buy a map book , a camera or even a torch or vibrational device (for back massage )

2. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Telephones are for calling people. To hear their voice from a long way away. That's it. That's all you should use them for. That's all they should do. Period.

Juliet316 likes this.
  3. zOMG

zOMG Jedi Knight

Oct 2, 2005
    Yeah but what about answering machine you can't just carry one around with u

Also now you don't have to write people letters you can just send them
    A email

So I think iPhones must be used for other things as well otherwise it's waste which is wrongs

4. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    Jabba-wocky

Multi tasking... 'tis a wonderful thing.

Sent from my iPhone 5... take that, Wocky!

5. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    iPhones are a waste and they are wrong. Which is why you shouldn't get one. All you need it a flip phone with voice mail. Then your answering machine will be floating in space radio waves.

Obi-Zahn Kenobi and Juliet316 like this.
  6. zOMG

zOMG Jedi Knight

Oct 2, 2005
    Darth turnip what about blackberry

7. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You've used your phone for internetting before.

8. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    It was time for that relationship to end... went for the new gal who does stuff more efficiently.

Jabba-wocky

I of course do such activities on this phone, but it's amazing how I can also check up on e-mails, keep track of my finances, play Tetris (love that!), and post here without having to use my laptop. Embrace this glorious new age of technological communication!

9. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Android phones are cheaper (than an Apple product?!), it's an open platform, and you can actually add microSD cards to the damned things-- which is useful, for, you know, practically everything you do with a smartphone. And, again, it's a lot cheaper than buying a phone with more internal memory. Buying an iPhone, as with buying any Apple device, is just flushing extra money down the toilet for essentially the same/slightly inferior thing-made-by-underpaid-Chinese-worker-out-of-materials-from-African-warzones.

10. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    I had an upgrade to use when I got this phone, Guy. :p Yes, those features you listed do sound nice & useful for a person who would need all that extra storage space... I do not.

11. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    My telephone doesn't even have the internet.

12. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    Most upgrades still charge you money for the new(er) phones, and you still have to pay California sales tax on the full price.

13. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    The Apple LaTeX app is vastly superior to the Android alternative - for when you absolutely, positively must type your math on the bus!

... Which is more often then you'd think.

14. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    ...i have an old PM from you that talks about perusing the jcc on the phone.

15. Jabba-wocky

May 4, 2003
    Re PM it to me.

I have never had a phone capable of that.

16. DarthTunick

Nov 26, 2000
    Darth Guy

You with your logic & facts, Guy. Still, of course, without said upgrade the cost would have been a bit more expensive. And out of the shiny, new phone toys on the market, the iPhone was the one I was most willing to leave BlackBerry for. :p

17. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    i don't care about whatever phone you get i just wanted to take a minute to talk about myself and say that i finally just got my first smartphone, a galaxy s3. its pretty neat.

18. Darth Guy

Aug 16, 2002
    It is the first phone I've owned that can tell when I'm looking at it. Still freaks me out... and strikes me as largely unnecessary, but whatever.

19. hudzu

hudzu Force Ghost star 6

Jun 1, 2003
    can it do that? i turned off most of those motion sensing features. because they are dumb.

20. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Yeah don't get an iPhone. Because you'll turn into an Apple user. Horrible.

Darth_Invidious and FatBurt like this.
  21. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Yes, but waving an iPhone (especially the white ones) around is a free pass to act like a douche in public and get away with it. You can't do that with an Android phone.

Priorities, man, priorities.

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  22. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    I agree with Wocky on this issue. Hence why I've never felt the need for an IPhone or Android device.

23. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I know people like this. They're called "senior citizens". And "stingy".

There's a good argument to be how smartphones could be considered expensive toys that have irrevocably changed the nature of social interaction to unhealthy degrees. But, as work tools, they're invaluable. Now every time I'm wasting time at a doctor's appointment (or just on the road like my job often requires it), I can catch up on important emails or actually keep getting work done. And when I don't, I can browse the Web or even type all this **** up like I'm doing right now.

So l guess the choice of having or nor having a smartphone is a simple matter of necessity or simple stubbornness at not embracing the 21st century. Take your pick.

24. EmpireForever

EmpireForever Force Ghost star 8

Mar 15, 2004
    I don't have a telephone, I have a handheld computer which happens to be able to make phone calls(probably the least used feature on it).

Dingo likes this.
  25. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My parents are senior citizens and they both have iPhones. Lack of a smart phone now is either lack of finances (which I understand) or stubbornness, as Invidious said.

I use my phone for talking maybe 30 minutes per month, maybe. It's all texting, taking pictures, listening to music when I work out, Net surfing and haunting you fine people with my posts more often.

As far as the type of phone, I had a Samsung Intercept for about a year and it turned me off from Android/Google Play devices forever. As much as I've heard good things about the Samsung Galaxy, I'll keep my iPhone 4S and upgrade to a 5 when my contract runs out.