main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph INCEPTION- Christopher (BWONNNNG) Nolan's (BWONNNNG) new (BWONNG) film (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Community' started by Coruscant, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    Can you wait for this movie? I know I can not. It's not exactly got the most stellar RT rating so far (86%), but let's look at what the positive reviews say:

"One of the most intoxicating, challenging and beautiful movies of the 21st century, deserving of multiple Oscar nominations." -Richard Roeper

"At first, Inception left me cold, feeling as if I?d just eavesdropped on somebody?s bad acid trip. Now I find I can?t get the film out of my mind, which is really the whole point of it, isn?t it?"

"A wildly entertaining and dazzling mind-trip not to be missed. Kubrick would have been proud." [face_hypnotized]

Gimme. Gimme now.

2. Asterix_of_Gaul

Asterix_of_Gaul Jedi Master star 5

Sep 13, 2007
  3. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    It was so effing good. I can't wait to watch it again tomorrow so I can take in all the stuff I missed when I ran to the bathroom. Great, great flick. Nolan knows how to make movies.

4. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Saw it on Monday. Brilliant. Loved it. GO SEE IT.

5. jedi_john_33

jedi_john_33 Jedi Master star 7

Sep 26, 2003
    I plan to be there opening night.

Team Leo.

edit: Did it already start? I thought it was the 16th?

6. duende

duende Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 28, 2006
    Were you guys at a test screening?

7. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    I was, yes. I think Rox works at a theater.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I CAN'T WAIT FOR THIS AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHFOUSDHU;FIOFASHD'UFUI'GFADSU'OIFUSIDFHNSD'A

9. Trika_Kenobi

Trika_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 4, 1999
    I bought the score yesterday at Best Buy. I'm so pumped for this movie.

10. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    Grimby is correct I work at a theater so we watch all the movies early.

11. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    Saw it at a special screening this morning, and agree with Rox. Much better film
    than I anticipated. VERY complex storyline/plot.

12. Mortimer_Snerd

Mortimer_Snerd Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 14, 2004
    Stoked, I am.

13. YodaKenobi

YodaKenobi Former TFN Books Staff star 6 VIP

May 27, 2003
    Going at midnight, can't wait to see it :D

14. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    I have to wait one more week on my neck of the woods, but I am dying to see it.

15. JMJacenSolo

JMJacenSolo Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2006
    Since when is 86% not stellar?

16. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    It's not so much the percentile, and more what the reviews say. 120 reviews give it a positive, saying things like...

"A film that only comes around every few decades"

"Oscar worthy."

"Best film of the summer."

"Best film of the year so far"

Those are the kinds of things worth paying attetion to on Rotten Tomatoes. There have been films that have gotten higher ratings and get a positive just because the blurb doesn't TOTALLY bash it. Inceptions reviews have all been praise worthy. It will probably be Nohlans best film to date, even though Dark Knight got a higher rating.

17. Coruscant

Coruscant Chosen One star 7

Feb 15, 2004
    So far, my general impression is this movie is going to be a leap forward in style like THE MATRIX but also a leap forward in substance like a Kubrick film.

18. Darth_Invidious

Darth_Invidious Force Ghost star 6

Jun 21, 1999
    Many of the blurbs I've seen describe it as THE MATRIX meets "fill-in-the-blank". That can be worrysome considering the direction the Matrix sequels took. But I am hoping this movie isn't a total mindf*** either.

19. Spider-Fan

Spider-Fan Jedi Master star 4

Jul 15, 2008
    I doubt there will be a sequel anyways, so I think we are alright. ;)

20. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I thought it was the coolest movie I've ever seen. Maybe not the best movie I've seen but definitely the coolest. I get the Matrix comparisons but I think this movie surpasses it in every way.

21. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    Inception was a lot closer to Matrix Reloaded/Revolutions than the original Matrix. What it has going for it is the big cinematic style that feels entirely real, even when the CGI is cranked up to 11, that Dark Knight look everyone, including me of course, likes so much. The plot made a fair amount of sense, but one central action set piece entirely missed the mark, very bland, lacking any dramatic tension despite the visual grandeur of that epic cinematic hyper realism that Nolan does so well. There's pleasant complexity and a well executed plot, but really the dramatic core of the movie comes off hollow and anticlimactic. I'd call it two thirds of a good movie.

I don't think this is going to be a huge box office hit. Not because People Are Stoopid, but because underneath the epic look and feel, it may actually be kind of silly when you really get at the movie's central conceit.

22. darthcaedus1138

darthcaedus1138 Force Ghost star 5

Oct 13, 2007
    Saw the Midnight showing this morning. Amazing. The end could literally be interpreted in dozens of ways.

You will be thinking during this movie. That's something wholly remarkable just by itself.

23. Grimby

Apr 22, 2000
    Jabba, what aspect are you referring to specifically? (I'm guessing you'll need to post using the highlight-to-read spoiler method.)

24. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    I guess I was just dumbfounded by how badly Nolan misses the mark about what dreams are like and what they're for, and how he rests the whole film on this edifice of schlock pop psychology, startling in its ignorance. Before Cobb can go home, he has to face his guilt over his wife's death. It's. Just. So. Dumb.

I could have forgiven the paper thin characters and botched action pacing and tedious car chases and shootouts if the movie had just been a little bit smarter. It looks good, and it executes the requirements of its multi-layered narrative with finesse, so it has some admirable strengths. I hate to criticize it.

25. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    When the screen went black at the end, the entire audience let out cries of shock. He certainly knows how to end a movie. :p

My thought on the ending He really did surrender to dreaming. We never see him wake up in layers like the others do. There's no indication that Michael Caine should be waiting for him and we transition from the airport to home far too fast (middle of the dream?). No conversation at all with Ellen Paige's character for example.

I quite enjoyed it. But I like movies that are different. It does have a matrixish feel, but better in my opinion. And I loved the cast.