main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Incubus: Innovative rock or cheesy pop?

Discussion in 'Archive: The Amphitheatre' started by DUSHONI, Jun 18, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Devilanse

Devilanse Jedi Knight star 5

May 11, 2002
    I thought they were all right back when they were a little more hardcore. Now they are just MTV puppets.

2. DARK_SCORE

DARK_SCORE Jedi Master star 4

Oct 26, 2000
    Incubus are more 'idiosyncratic' than anything else really. I think Morning View is a beautiful album - and you can feel the band's mellow approach to making music...
    But I think that sometimes they lose the tunes and write songs that just aren't much cop. They've only become an MTV band because Brandon Boyd is a pin-up - I don't think they've particularly sold out or capitalised on the current metal fads.

They're doing their own thing - and that's good... :)

3. ismaren

ismaren Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 4, 2002
    Incubus has to be my favorite band hands down. I liked their early stuff, but the music they've produced recently is far better. I wouldn't call them pop music, but I do think they're innovative. Incubus experiments with different types of instuments, and their DJ doesn't just sit around sporadically scratching throughout the song. The turntables are used more as another musical instument. Their lyrics have more substance than most the fluff out today. They're not afraid to experiment with their music. It's an intelligent band that produces intelligent songs. Incubus isn't quite perfect ;), but they do get pretty close.

I don't think they've reached their full potential yet. After 10 years on the music scene, they've recently broken through into popularity. Incubus is still trying to find their footing in today's music scene. In a few years I forsee them being a lot like Pink Floyd.

I'm not sure I could pick a favorite CD. there are a lot of things on S.C.I.E.N.C.E. that I really liked and that struck an emotional chord with me, but the same goes for Enjoy Incubus, Fungus Amongus, Make Yourself and Morning View. I loved Aqueous Transmission. That song is definately innovative, if nothing else by them is. I hope in the next album they experiment more with the Oriental sound.

RidingMyCaroselOnYou: I have the opposite opinion of you about Incubus live. I think they have a bad stage presence, but their songs sound great. I do agree though about Mike. He's a good guitarist, but I wouldn't call him "innovative"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.