main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Controversy

Discussion in 'Lucasfilm Ltd. In-Depth Discussion' started by JohnWesleyDowney, Jun 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    If Willie is a "survivor of the toughest kind", why is she so concerned about breaking a nail? Why does she whine incessantly and leap on Jones' back when she's senselessly scared? Those are not the actions of a "survivor of the toughest kind".

I'm going to go with Spielberg and Capshaw's take on her backstory.

2. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    I think that's the best way to look at it, as well. And like you I also don't have a problem with Willie or Jar Jar, I still find them rather endearing in spite of (or maybe because of) their little character flaws.

3. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008

All of these characters in both sagas have embarrassing flaws.

4. DRush76

DRush76 Jedi Master star 4

Jan 25, 2008
    If Willie is a "survivor of the toughest kind", why is she so concerned about breaking a nail? Why does she whine incessantly and leap on Jones' back when she's senselessly scared? Those are not the actions of a "survivor of the toughest kind".

What exactly is your idea of being a survivor? Acting like a tomboy or a man? This is a woman who was born and raised in poverty on a farm in Missouri. A woman who would more or less do anything to make life better for her or make a life that she wants. She can complain about cracking a nail until the cows come home. In my view, Willie Scott is a survivor.

5. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    How about behaving courageously? How about meeting danger with a brave heart, and conflict with a stiff upper lip? How about telling one's captors, for example, "Don't you touch me!" instead of screeching like a simpering child? This would not be "manly" or "tomboy" behavior, but rather that of a strong, willful woman -- which Marion is, and Willie is not.

6. Thena

Thena Chosen One star 7

May 10, 2001
    You think they're embarrassing? I don't see them that way at all.

7. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Then again, you need to remember that she was essentially plucked from civilization and drug along on the adventure along with Indy. Once the fight broke out in the club, she was pretty much stuck and out of her element.

Marion, on the other hand, was quite familiar with those type of adventures, having been taken all over the world with Abner. And don't forget, she had a history with Indy to begin with. Of course she would have more spunk and attitude towards the people and situations she encountered. This was all new to Willie, and really, her actions fit that.

8. Vortigern99

Nov 12, 2000
    ^ ^ Yeah, I get that, but knowing it doesn't make her character any more enjoyable.

And in the main I was arguing with DRush76, who seems to believe Willie came from a place of struggle and poverty. This contradicts not only Spielberg's and Capshaw's conception of the character, but basic human nature. A person used to conflict, danger and struggle would not be screamy and squeamish at every little bug and bit of danger that comes her way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.