main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Interesting thing at the Theatre today...

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by DEATHstickJUNKIE, Jun 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. homeless_jedi

homeless_jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 16, 2002
    my sister went to see the movie the other day...and she called me wanting to know something..

"where is luke? [face_plain]

2. Sapno Krei

Sapno Krei Jedi Grand Master star 3

Feb 23, 1999
    My nieces and nephews, who are between 4 and 10 years old, know me as the younger, cooler uncle (I'm 25).

A few weeks ago I paid them all a visit after they'd all watched Episode 2, and the first thing they did was mob me and beg, "Uncle, can you buy us all Life Savers?"

"I want a blue one."

"I want the red one."

I want the green one."

"I want a green one too."

I resisted the urge to play a cruel joke on them and buy them all candy.

I want to hear more stories of fans of the younger and older generations!

3. ObiWanJane

ObiWanJane Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 19, 1999
    I just have to laugh when I hear people ask about characters from the OT. My Mom did that with Episode I, asking why Darth Vader wasn't in the movie! I love my Mom, but I know she's not stupid!

I mean -- have people had their heads in a hole lately? Most people know by now these are PREQUELS! If they can understand that much of Godfather 2 was flashbacks, you'd think they'd understand this simple concept.

:)

4. smallpaul

smallpaul Jedi Master star 3

Aug 15, 2001
    My dad took me too see ANH in 77. For Father's day in 99' I repaid him by taking him to see TPM. He was so confused. I don't care how much explaining I did he could not understand that Anakin was not Luke. And he kept asking where Vader was. In hindsight I think he might of been pulling my leg a bit cause he knew how much I loved these movies.

I took him to see AOTC Sunday and he realy enjoyed this one. The only problem is he went to the bathroom during the seismic chargers scene.

5. episodenone

episodenone Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 13, 2001
    Interesting thing at the Theatre today...:

how about this.

i was one of only 10 people in the theater! [face_plain]

6. Chewies_bandolier

Chewies_bandolier Force Ghost star 4

May 5, 2002
    Hey! That's nine more people in the cinema than during the last time I went to see "gladiator".

Its always cool to see 'younglings' enjoy sw (ahhh brings back memories)...

7. SithSorceress

SithSorceress Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 13, 2002
    I went to a Digital Projection theater, like, two days after AOTC came out, so it was full of major fans like me-I sat next to a fun Oriental guy, who laughed every time I made a comment about the Anakin and Padme scenes. (You cant breathe? shes the one in the corset!)and a guy in front of me had already seen it, and when I asked him if it was good, he laughed!
    On my way out everyone was talking about it and one little kid said to her father "I liked her. " and he said "who? Amidala?"
    she said "yeah, she's pretty"
    On line in front of the theater we watched the line wrap itself around the block and I spoke to a million people I didn't know about my fav topic-SW!SO FUN!
    When JAr JAr came on, the crowd hissed and one guy caled out"Mesa-" well, i won't type the word-I don't want to get banned!

8. Darth_SMITTIUS

Darth_SMITTIUS Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 16, 2002
    This is a really great thread, and its actually the heart of star wars. Back in the day, didn't the critics bash SW for all they were worth but the kids loved it? Now, star wars is big business because all of those little fans turned into a generation of SW loving adults. Now, the younger generation is seeing the prequels and the reaction is exactly the same.

Thats why I predict that in about 10 years, no one will have a bad thing to say about Star Wars because most of the kids will be growing up, and will represent the next generation of SW fans. So, in a sense, Lucas has planned this all out in order to "grow" more fans of the series :). I find this very encouraging, knowing that things are going full cycle. It also means that the PT is NOT a failure because it is pleasing its audience, the same audience that was pleased with the OT, THE KIDS!

Anyway, on to my experience. Seeing AOTC for the second time, I sat beside a family with a lot of young kids. Also, some rednecks behind me who felt compelled to explain everything ("Yep, m'he turned to the dirk si-ide, gave intuh thuh hate. Yepm..").

Anyhoo, they cheered for Binks, laughed at Yoda and Obi-Wan, and SCREAMED THEIR HEADS OFF in the Anakin-Dooku fight. It reminded me of how terrified I would have been seeing this movie at such a young age, lol. The crying began when Dooku decided to amputate Ani's arm. Momma had to hush them down a bit afterwards.

This was a great experience because it really reminded me of how amazing these films are to innocent children. Exciting, funny, and scary all in the same movie. I think this says a lot for the series, because kids don't give a hoot about acting of dialogue, they just care about the whole experience and having fun, something the older generation has obviously forgotten.

9. Razorback

Razorback Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 2, 2001
    I sat next to a fun Oriental guy

Just a piece of advice... "Oriental" is not a race. It is offensive to most people of Asian heritage to be called "Oriental."

In the future consider using "Asian" as opposed to calling someone a style of carpet. :)

RB

10. Dagobah_Dude

Dagobah_Dude Jedi Grand Master star 3

Nov 9, 2001
    When I saw the flick in DLP on Saturday, my buddy and I stayed until the end credits were over. When the music came to an end, an older lady who sat through the credits started clapping again(there was clapping throughout the auditorium at the "Directed by George Lucas" logo). I smiled and thought, " I bet this ain't the first time she's seeing this either".
    It is great to see how multi generational the appeal of SW is. And I've seen plenty of older folks at the seven screenings of AOTC I've been to. And they all seemed to like it.

11. zam_fett

zam_fett Jedi Youngling star 1

May 27, 2002
    My grandmother loves Star Wars. My grandpa hates going to the movies (when he took her to see FotR he wore sunglasses & earplugs and slept through most of it) so when they came to visit a few weeks ago I took her to AOTC. She absolutely loved it and wanted to go see it with me again a week later. :)

In the theater on Sunday, one of the kids sitting near me went "EEEEWWWWWWWWWWW!!!" really loudly when Anakin kisses Padme. [face_laugh]

12. SithSorceress

Jun 13, 2002
    Razorback- My apologies, I didn't mean to sound racist, I strongly oppose racism. I'm just not up on the politically correct terms- no offense meant, I really liked the Asian guy who in no way resembled a rug.:)

13. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

I know a fourteen year old who saw the film and he thinks George Lucas is a genius. He's no nerd either. He's seen it a few times and he's engaged me in some pretty interesting in-depth conversations on everything from the special effects and the cool visuals and gadgets, to the fight scenes, to the love story, the character development and Anakin's downfall. He knows it thoroughly and is excited about all of it.
    He also plays the Lucas Arts video games. Anyone who doesn't think the youth of America isn't into these movies or thinks STAR WARS appeal is weakening doesn't know what they're talking about. (He also thoroughly knew the OT and discussed the wimpy death of Boba at the Pit of Carkoon!
    When he used the term Pit of Carkoon, I was shocked!)

14. Bookedout

Bookedout Jedi Youngling star 3

May 7, 2002
    I went with a co-worker of mine last week to see it at the digital theater at the Irvine Spectrum. He had been a hold out, basically because of the bad reviews, and didn't want to be disappointed in case they were right. After weeks of prompting we finally went and he loved it. He really got into, and caught most of, the imagery, foreshadowing and connections between the OT and the PT. We had a great time.

This, however, was not the best part of our experience. About 5 minutes till showtime, while the trailers were playing, a middle aged couple came in and sat next to us. They had obviously came straight over from work as he was still in a suit and tie and she was in a dress (this was the 5PM show). To sum it up, they were amazing. They pointed excitedly as they saw different characters, locations, and made connections, laughed at all of the jokes, gasped at the Tusken camp and confession scenes, clapped and cheered during the arena battle and almost couldn't stay in their seats when Yoda fought Dooku. They basically became excited little kids again. It was just too much fun and it pumped us up too. Star Wars definately has a unique effect on people of all ages and I feel truly thankful for the experience. It's one that I'm sure will last for a long, long time.

15. Jedi Chikara

Jedi Chikara Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 1, 1999
    I remember in my fifth screening my friend and I sat next to a big family with a whole lot of kids. The funny thing was that the kids weren't the ones who were talking about the film, it was the adults. In particular, the mother sitting next to me. She was really into it, commenting about how Jar Jar unwittingly played into Palpy's hands, wiping away a tear when Shmi died. It was great.

16. Lord_Hydronium

Lord_Hydronium Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2002
    I went for my second time today, and a kid and his dad sat behind me. The dad pointed out a lot of the characters to the kid (not too loudly, I was glad about that), saying things like "That's R2-D2", or "There's Jar Jar Binks". Anyway, my favorite comment was when the clonetroopers are getting their helmets and lining up on Kamino, he says, "Look! Those are stormtroopers!" Glad to see he made the connection.

One interesting thing: there weren't many people in the theater, but there were still a fair number. But I noticed, no one got the "you'll be the death of me" line (compare to the showing I went to the day after opening day, where everyone got it).

17. Jedi_Master_Gerk

Jedi_Master_Gerk Jedi Youngling

May 23, 2002

my mom went to the original in '77...and...i know it's sad...she walked out!!! i can't believe it either...she walked out...i asked her why and she said because R2 was talking with the beeps and people could understand him and that chewy with his growling just annoyed her

my parents are in their 50's and they just don't get it...they have no imagination, they were forced to watch it with me when i was younger...i was watching TPM in prep for AOTC and neither could grasp the concept of the prequel...

18. PloKloon1138

PloKloon1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 5, 2001
    This thread brings warm feelings to my heart. :)

19. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Gerk, LOL.

I have a friend like that. She can't stand Star Wars. She never reads fiction because 'it's not real', hated Indiana Jones, refused to see the Lord of the Rings...

I want to cry. It's hard to imagine somebody without an imagination...ach! Poor gal.

20. Darthkarma

Darthkarma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 30, 2000

Booked out, that is the COOLEST story!

21. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    Gotta add this, I was in line at C2 in Indy, after shopping at the C2 store, we were standing next to a 70 something? couple waiting for the opening ceremony. After chatting for awhile they mentioned not feeling up to standing in line to pick up a J. Sakul figure for their son. We had bee-lined straight for the store when we arrived, and each bought 2......I simply had to give the guy one of mine. I have to say, his reaction made the whole day (ok, next to the Yoda commercial) It was amazing to see he and his wife....they were so greatful, and totally excited....awesome....

22. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    Ah. The essence of Star Wars. :)

23. hippie1kenobi

hippie1kenobi Force Ghost star 4

Apr 28, 2002
    I've seen a few good reactions. After walking out with my wife a few weeks ago, a family with two boys and a girl, I'd say ranging from 5 to 10, were walking next to us in the parking lot. The dad asked how they liked it. They all yelled "Super!" in unison and started slicing up imaginary battle droids with pretend lightsabers.

The weekend it came out, I was in target looking for toys, when I saw a dad a couple years older than me with 2 sons, filling the cart with action figures. "Make sure we get one of each. Don't get any doubles. Star Wars only comes out six times in a lifetime.

And my favorite. Weekend before last I went by myself to a digital matinee. The guy in line in front of me was about 60. He got 1 ticket for SW and I could tell by his attitude he was doing the same thing I was: Skipping out of the house for a few hours to see SW. :)

24. SithSorceress

Jun 13, 2002
    off the topic, but Darth Chikara, I love your name- Darth Power? awesome

25. Lembas_Junkie

Lembas_Junkie Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 1, 2002
    Overheard at AOTC this afternoon (two kids and their dad behind me):

Kid (during fireplace scene, Anakin had just said "You are in my very soul."): Dad...what does that MEAN?

Dad: Just keep listening...

Kid (at end of the scene): Did he really MEAN that?

;) Cute
    Lembas Junkie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.