main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Iron Man Movies

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Jedi_Master_Conor, Mar 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I just watched it on Apple's website.

2. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    Wow, I think this thread died off for a little while. Hopefully I can bring it back to life with this. The 2nd trailer for Iron Man 2 was released last night, and does it look awesome. Here's the link.

When everyone can pick their jaws up off the ground we can discuss!

3. Yodaminch

Yodaminch Chosen One star 6

Mar 6, 2002
    Suitcase Armor! :cool:

Very pleased so far. I may start hunting for an IMAX midnight showing.

4. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    Should be fun.
    A little silly that the toys are on the shelves 3 months early...

5. Kaul

Kaul Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2006
    Seeing War Machine in action was epic. The suitcase armor was incredible, and Whiplash was great. Probably the movie to look forward to this year -- either this or Tron: Legacy.

6. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    Another new movie poster was released. Supposedly this is another international poster. Looks like Black Widow has SHIELD logo on her left shoulder in this poster.

[image=http://nerdsoftheroundtable.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/iron-man-2-international-2.jpg]

7. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I saw the novelization in store today. Flipped through it, spoiled myself intentionally.

8. TIEPilot051999

TIEPilot051999 Jedi Master star 7

Mar 27, 2002
    What's silly about it? Most movie tie-in toylines are released ahead of the actual movie.

9. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    And, it's silly. OK, I could see a week... maybe 2 weeks. But 3 months? Why???

10. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Presumably so sales can cash in on the hype/anticipation of the movie independent of the actual quality/reception/performance of the movie.

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Probablly. Should check in with the fan activities:collecting forum for more on that.

12. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    The intersting thing to me about the new Iron Man toys, and the Wolverine toy line as well for X-Men Origins: Wolverine, is that they haven't really released a whole lot of figures that are actually labeled as being inspired by the movie. There are few versions of the Iron Man but that's it. I haven't seen Whiplash or movie War Machine. I've seen "Comic series" War Machine and Crimson Dynamo and what not. Nothing but Iron Man from the movie though, and the Iron Man armor is pretty well publicized. They did the same with the X-Men Origins: Wolverine line. Alot of "Comic series" figures came out first and a couple Jackman Wolvie figs but it took a while until the Victor Howlett and Deadpool figures came out. I know we saw pics of the Deadpool figure before the movie came out and spoiled ourselves for how they karked that up, but I don't remember seeing it in stores before the movie.

13. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    They had tons of the movie version of War Machine at my Wally World. I haven't personally seen Whiplash yet, but I have seen pictures on the web of the Whiplash and Black Widow figures.

Also, during the Kid's Choice Awards there was a new video spot played for IM 2. There's some footage we haven't seen before too. Biggest takeaway on this one is, shouldn't the Black Widow sound Russian?

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Maybe she's disguising her accent for part of the movie?

And yeah, the figures I've seen have mostly been Iron Man Marks I-VII, classic Iron Man, Iron Monger and War Machine.

15. Jedi_Johnson

Apr 6, 2002
    If anyone is in San Francico and attending WonderCon this weekend there's an exclusive Iron Man 2 poster being given away. If you go get one for me too!

[image=http://nerdsoftheroundtable.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/blackwidowlarge.jpg]

=P~

16. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, caught the midnight for IM2 just now.

And I thought it was quite excellent- the first film's only real weakness was the big fight at the end (Stane was more interesting than Iron Monger, in other words).

Here, though, no such flaw exists- the end battle is quite awesome (and they even managed not to give away the fully armored Whiplash at the end in the previews), the cast is great all around (with only, maybe, Sam Rockwell's character feeling slightly out of place from everyone else, but he plays the role well) and it maintains the fun and humor from the first one, while working in a slightly darker story.

And "Land of Enchantment" was a great little touch. Never knew that was their slogan.

17. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Saw this last week. Annoyed with myself as I had to run out for a leak twice during the film.

Did you stay for the end credit sequence?

And what was Tony Stark doing with Captain America's shield?

18. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    My buddy and I ought to be going to see it in about an hr and half!

We made my father watch the IM Blu Ray last night and he liked it. He said he hated IM in the comics.

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Yeah I did- very cool.

They didn't explain why he had it- but it was inserted into the background of the first film as an easter egg. They had said they weren't sure if it was ever going to be anything more than that- turns out it makes a good wedge ;)

20. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    How do you think IT got there ... it just fell from the sky?

21. -polymath-

-polymath- SFF:F/TV Trivia Host star 4 VIP - Game Host

Jun 7, 2007
    I've not seen the movie yet but I assume the IT is Thor's Hammer, right?

22. Duragizer

Duragizer Jedi Master star 4

Apr 23, 2009
    I found Iron Man to be an okay movie at best, and I have zero interest in seeing the sequel.

Too many of these superhero movies are just style over substance as far as I'm concerned.

23. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I had a discussion with my friends on the way home about that- debating if the hammer was in an impact crater or was merely being excavated- and we all generally felt it was an impact crater (or, at the very least, is much cooler if it's an impact crater).

24. Mustafar_66

Mustafar_66 Force Ghost star 6

May 20, 2005
    Well, yeah, that's generally their purpose. You don't go to a superhero flick expecting Kubrick, you go expecting maybe a step up from Michael Bay. That being said, they're still capable of impressing (Batman Begins for example).

25. JEDI-SOLO

JEDI-SOLO Force Ghost star 6

Feb 12, 2002
    I will have to see it again. I liked it but I just had a very uncomfortable show expirence. My ass hurt so bad in those chairs I kept having to twist and turn and annoy everyone close to me! lol

One of my biggest pet peevs though is when characters get played by differnt actors! I hate that so much....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.