main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is Germany right to ban a couple naming their child Osama Bin Laden

Discussion in 'Archive: The Senate Floor' started by Pit Droid, Sep 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pit Droid

Pit Droid Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 9, 1999
    From BBC news

German officials have refused to allow a Turkish couple living in Köln to name their baby boy Osama Bin Laden.

Should couples be allowed to name their children without intervention from the government or is Germany right to prevent this? Where do you draw the line ?

IMO, Germany is right to refuse this but only for the sake of the child who would have to grow up with the ridicule (or praise depending upon where they live.) directed at them.

2. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    I agree with the decision. It's so very, very wrong to condemn an innocent child to growing up with this name.

3. KaineDamo

KaineDamo Jedi Youngling star 5

Mar 6, 2002
    The government has absolutely no right to intervene in the naming of any child. The parents can call their child f*£&^ face if they want.

4. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    The government has absolutely no right to intervene in the naming of any child. The parents can call their child f*£&^ face if they want.

Well, I think they do, if it's in the best interests of the child. How would you like to grow up with a name that caused kids to hate you, or make fun of you, or whatever?

5. Pit Droid

Feb 9, 1999
    But where do you draw the line, would you say the same thing if the child was called George W. Bush

6. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    As far as I know, George W. Bush is not a mass murderer, much as I dislike the man, I don't care if anyone names their kid that. But NO child should be forced to put up with the stigma of being named after a man who is resposible for the deaths of thousands of innocent people.

7. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    So you'd have no problem growing up with the name "Stalin" or "hitler"

This law is in place for the protection of the child. Any name that could be demeening to the child and be a hinderance to their mental well being should be banned. Be it an evil person or trying to call your kid @#@#-face. It's not right.

8. Pit Droid

Feb 9, 1999
    So it would seem then that the naming of a child is highly dependant upon where it is born. Naming a child George W. Bush born in Iraq is probably not a good idea ;) and vice versa naming a child Osama Bin Laden who is born in Northern Nigeria is seen as popular.

9. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    This particular child lives in Germany, though, where I imagine most people do not support Bin Laden.

and vice versa naming a child Osama Bin Laden who is born in Northern Nigeria is seen as popular.

But not to that particular mother, who didn't want the name, while her husband did...

10. Admiral_Thrawn60

Admiral_Thrawn60 Jedi Youngling star 6

Jul 8, 2000
    The correct spelling is not Cologne. It's Köln. Anyway, I do not feel that the government has a right to interfere with the naming of a couple's child, but I feel that the parents have a resonsibity to their child to not do such a stupid thing. Imagine the ridicule!

11. Lahne_Pryok

Lahne_Pryok Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 22, 2002
    My first question is why do the parents want to name thier child that? They must be insane. Unless, they are supporters of OBL, then they are beyond help.
    I don't think the goverment should interfere with the naming of a child, but this is an exception. That will have serious affects on the child and the people around him.

On a lighter note, can you imagine someone saying, "That Osama Bin Laden, he's such a good boy." hehe.

12. Darth_Omega

Darth_Omega Force Ghost star 6

May 19, 2002
    but I feel that the parents have a resonsibity to their child to not do such a stupid thing.

That's why such laws are in place. To prevent parents naming their children like Osama Bin Laden, Hitler etc.

13. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    "The government has absolutely no right to intervene in the naming of any child. The parents can call their child f*£&^ face if they want."

"Well, I think they do, if it's in the best interests of the child. How would you like to grow up with a name that caused kids to hate you, or make fun of you, or whatever?"

Kids can pick any number of reasons to "hate" you and make fun of you. Kids will always bully other kids, wether they're name is Osama Bin Laden or if they have a spotty face. The government interfering in this situation is nothing more than facism.

14. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Having lived in Cologne, and being a Turk myself, I can see the quandary. In Turkey, the guy would not be able to name his son Osama Bin Laden as it is not a Turkish name, and it is obviously offensive. The Germans are carrying on the same mind-set. I agree with them as the couple, most probably brainwashed by the Muslim fundementalists who are ten a penny in Cologen, want to make a statement not realising the problems it will create for both themselves and the kid when he grows up.

They should get a life and learn to protest in a more subtle way.

15. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Kids can pick any number of reasons to "hate" you and make fun of you. Kids will always bully other kids, wether they're name is Osama Bin Laden or if they have a spotty face. The government interfering in this situation is nothing more than facism.

How would you like to be this child? How would you like to have this name? I bet you wouldn't. It's not facism. It's protecting this innocent child from severe scorn. Or better yet, think of an evil person who was very much despised in your country when you were growing up. Now imagine you had been given that name. How would you have felt?

16. ImperialFC

ImperialFC Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 29, 2001
    The article mentions that there is a law in Germany that prohibits couples from giving their children names that would be ridiculed and/or are offensive, so it would seem under German law this is the correct decision.

Y'know a law like this in the US would have spared countless kids from bad names :)

17. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    And could you imagine what it would be like if a child in the United States was given this name? The poor child would be despised.

18. KaineDamo

Mar 6, 2002
    It would be th peoples own fault if they despise the child. You would have to be extremely immature and just plain dumb to hate a child for their name.

19. Rebecca191

Nov 2, 1999
    Children are immature! What do you expect from them?

20. Rikalonius

Rikalonius Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 26, 2001
    Osama Bin Laden is a great man. He's a good man for his people, for my culture,"

Says the non-German citizen, living off the taxpayers, un-employed Turkish father of baby Osama.

EDIT: I appologize to all moderators for my emotional outburst. This had NOTHING to do with Turks. It was meant, but badly worded, as means of asking that if Osama was so good, and his culture so good, why does he live in Germany, living off a system that is not in line with his own.

21. AL

AL Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 22, 1998

Oh, because you culture has produced NOTHING in a thousand years.

As a Turk not only do I find that offensive, I also think it is racist, bigoted, ignorant and immature.

The guy is obviously a brain washed fundamentalist fanatic. You do not need to bad mouth one of the US' longest standing allies and the only democratic Muslim state and in fact the only Muslim state in Nato just because he is a weirdo.

This is the reason why so many Americans are piegonholed, wrongfully, as morons.

22. KnightWriter

KnightWriter Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 6, 2001
    How about you head back to Afghanistan Mr. Cengiz, if you think Osama is good for his people. Why are you living in Koln, sucking off the state nipple? Oh, because you culture has produced NOTHING in a thousand years.

Completely inappropriate here. It has already been commented on, so no point in editing it. However, consider yourself warned.

23. tenorjedi

tenorjedi Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 17, 2000
    or to put it another way, "one bonehead comment does not deserve another"

24. FlamingSword

FlamingSword Jedi Knight star 6

Jun 4, 2001
    That is one of the saddest things I've read. Who would name their kid after someone that hated by so many parts of the world even if they themselves respected him.

Even so, I'm not sure a government should have the right to interfere. This is a very extreme case, but a law like this could get out of hand.

Yes, the kid will be bullied, but so are millions of other kids. It's a very valid reason not to name the kid that but it's not a valid reason for the government to step in.

I'm not sure what I think of this government interference yet. It's sad, very sad.

25. Tod

Tod Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 29, 1999
    This kind of government interference maybe violates parents' rights but it certainly protects child's rights for normal life. And that's far more important than letting stupid parents ruin a human life before it really has started.

I think it's necessary that government has some control over what kind of names are allowed so that that nobody's name would be offensive to anybody else. It doesn't violate anybody's freedom.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.