main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Is it just me or is the length of the books too short?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Keiran_Halcyon, Sep 22, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Keiran_Halcyon

Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Youngling star 2

May 26, 2001
    I think that the books aren't long enough. I finally got Rebirth and I had it read in about 6 hours. I really wish they could make the words smaller and each book about 600 pages. Then it'd actually take a couple of days to read each book. I would also like to see the authors get more indepth, make the plots more twisted. Now I'm not complaining at all about the books or the authors I just wish they could be longer. I don't know if it's just me or if you feel this way, post your thoughts.

God bless America!

?KH¿

2. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Don't worry, it's a rather common feeling. Just wait for hundreds of pages of Star by Star.

3. Danno-the-Hutt

Danno-the-Hutt Jedi Youngling

Aug 10, 2001
    I don't think the books are too short. I think the stories are just too engrossing. I, too, read most of them in one sitting. My problem is they take too long in issueing the next one.

4. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    I think that once the NJO is complete they should come out with an every book in one set of the NJO. It would probably be like 4000 pages, and be heavier than my biology book, but hey, I bet you wouldn't be able to read that all in one sitting!

5. Balance_Point

Balance_Point Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 10, 2001
    Wow, the entire NJO saga in one massive book... that would be very cool, although incredibly expensive and, obviously, very difficult to carry around places. ;)

Anyways, yeah, the books are too short, but Mastadge is right; Star by Star will fix this problem. :)

39 days left...

6. slimybug

slimybug Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 14, 2001
    KH howd you do that inverted question mark?

7. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    I am glad to know that I am not the only one counting off the days :D

8. JWK

JWK Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 18, 2000
    I hope they come out with a set of the just the hardcovers in one set. And then have the Entire NJO Saga in another set.

9. -Vergere-

-Vergere- Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 31, 2001
    The books are definitely short. And Rebirth was extremely disappointing - both as a story and in terms of characterization. Not "engrossing" in the least. I know what you mean about wanting more "in-depthness."

10. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    Inverted Question mark = ALT+zero+two+two+two

11. suncrusherX

suncrusherX Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 18, 2001
    Way too short. Rebirth was very..."jumpy." it skipped a lot of descriptive text. be thankful it lasted you 6 hours, I finished the thing in 3, after setting aside a whole weekend to read it.

12. Rebecca191

Rebecca191 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 2, 1999
    It didn't take me that long to read, either. I got it at like 7PM and finished it befored I was tired.

13. Rogue_Starbuck

Rogue_Starbuck Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 2000
    I tried real hard to make Rebirth last, kind of savour the story, but alas I chewed thru it in a matter of hours. *sigh* At least I can look forward to SxS, safe in the knowledge it's gonna be the longest NJO book thus far... :)

14. Emiaj

Emiaj Jedi Master star 2

Jun 10, 2001
    I'm sure the authors could put in a couple of thousand pages of fillers dulling the books greatly.

Instead of having Luke walk to the other side of the room we could get an indepth description of him raising each leg and moving them forward a few inches before setting it down on the floor and beginning to raise his other foot.

It could also tell us how each part of his clothes creased as he moved.

Would people stop complaining about the length??? It takes around 2 hours to watch a Star Wars movie and then you have to wait 2-20 years for the nest. Give me a 3 month wait anyday.

15. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    With regard to Conquest and Rebirth:

Keep in mind that Greg Keyes was originally contracted to write only ONE book focusing on Anakin Solo that would be released in Fall 2001, shortly before Troy Denning's opus.

When the Knightfall trilogy was cancelled, Del Rey asked Greg Keyes if he would write another book that would include some of the events slated for . He agreed.

As a result, the publication date for the Anakin Solo novel (Conquest) was moved up by six months and Mr. Keyes wrote a second novel that was released at the end of July, still two months before the original release date for the Anakin novel.

Perhaps Greg Keyes allotted somewhat more time to writing his two Star Wars novels than he would have given to the Anakin novel alone. However, because of the shortened time frame in which Mr. Keyes had to write, both novels are probably shorter than the Anakin novel would have been by itself (though their combined length is probably longer).

This isn't pure speculation. Greg Keyes has confirmed the limited time frame in which he had to write in a couple different interviews. And since Greg Keyes is a professional author with other writing committments, such as his excellent Age of Unreason series, I doubt that he could just simply allot an indefinite amount of time to writing these two novels, even if LFL and DR were inclined to grant him that time (which I don't know one way or the other).

In short, the principle reason for the shortness of Mr. Keyes' novels is the cancellation of Knightfall and the unavoidably shorter time frame for Greg Keyes to write his two Star Wars novels.

16. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Why can't the authors just write one book, instead of stretching them out into duologies/trilogies??

That would shorten the amount of time the NJO took to be completed. And increase the lengths of the books.

17. menilma

menilma Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 25, 2001
    the lengths of the books are defenetly to short, they feel like the JA books!! :(

18. 181st Fighter Wing

181st Fighter Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2000
    Although 500+ pages may seem like an improvement over what Del Rey has been giving us, it still isn't that much. Especially not when you consider what they're charging us. Del Rey charges us $25 for their hardcovers, while most only come in at arround 300 pages. Tom Clancy's last hardcover cost $29, but was 1079 pages long. Keep in mind that Clancy gets paid millions for each book. What does Del Rey pay their authors per hardcover? Between 30 and 40 thousand. So where does the money go?

19. stevo

stevo Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 14, 2001
    Hey, menilma I like your sig. It's by C.s Lewis and It really reflects on my life too!

Any ways, if there weren't duologys then we'd get the books like every year. That would suck and we wouldn't have anything to talk about on the lit boards.

20. LoveisSuicideSP

LoveisSuicideSP Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 23, 2001
    About the Clancy thing. Get over it. Tom Clancy doesn't write Star Wars books, and there hasn't been and never will be a Star Wars book over 800 pages (unless they come out with collector's edition series or something).

And another thing. Why are people intitialing Star by Star as SxS? Wouldn't it be SbS?

21. Fluke_Groundwalker

Fluke_Groundwalker Jedi Youngling star 5

Aug 11, 2001
    Stevo, you misunderstood me.

By turning the duologies/trilogies into one book, you therefor compress the amount of time the NJO covers. So, instead of 5 years, or whatever, it'd be about 2-3.

22. 181st Fighter Wing

181st Fighter Wing Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 8, 2000
    I was merely using Clancy as an example (the chance of Tom writing for Star Wars is the same chance that the Steelers have of making the playoffs if the NFL decides to eliminate the wild card round: absolutely zero!). The point I was trying to make was that for nearly the same price Del Rey charges us, Putnam gave us over 3 times as many pages (more paper = more expensive to produce), and paid Tom several orders of magnitude more than Del Rey pays it's authors. So what I'm trying to say is that Del Rey makes a ****load more profit per each Star Wars book sold than Putnam is making per each Clancy book sold. Would it really kill them to loosen their pursestrings and give us a little more for our money?

23. Anakin SkySolo

Anakin SkySolo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 20, 1999
    The profit margin may actually be greater for each Tom Clancy book, simply because his overall sales are so much greater than any Star Wars EU book. Even if the profit is smaller on a per book basis, the overall take is probably much greater because of the heavy sales of Clancy's books.

24. _Tenel_Ka_

_Tenel_Ka_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 11, 2001
    too short is right. especially when you live in Canada and the book prices are like four bucks higher! (stupid economy... grrrr..)
    and what really gets me is the way that, when i look at Zahn's thrawn triology, there's like four hundred pages or more for $6.99, and for some thing like Rebirth, it's $9.99 for a lot shorter!

anyway, my ranting aside, can someone refresh my memory and tell me who is writing Star by Star?
    how many books is NJO going to be anyway?

25. Mecca-Don

Mecca-Don Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 28, 2001
    Star By Star is written by Troy Denning and at last count there are going to be 19 books total in the NJO.

Yes, the length of the books are too short but hopefully Star By Star will be the start of a new trend of longer books in the NJO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.