main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

is there a way we can ignore certain users

Discussion in 'Communications' started by darth_boy, Jul 4, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    ive seen this on other forums, can we get it?

loads of you would love to do it to me
    but still i have some variety
    some posters just keep spamming copy pasted links all the time without contributing to the thread, gets annoying. we could just put them on ignore

2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Not on these boards. However, I know we've discussed the feature in MS for after the move. I don't think we've decided on this one yet.

3. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    And the most ignored user each day can be banned from the forums forever since we can't do silly things like skip over their posts when we see them or simply not click on threads they start.

Or we can just turn the url of theforce.net into a link to facebook.

4. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    That's your beezel talking.....

5. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    I fully support this feature. Sometimes I just wanna block Ossy when he says bad things about Christian Bales. :mad:

6. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I wouldn't support such a feature. The boards should strive to remain as tight a unit as possible and encourage more people in (even if they don't start off well) - especially so far along the long downward curve after Revenge of the Sith. That means encouraging users to contribute and improve rather than allowing them to be ignored. Such a policy could remove any likelihood of personal improvement if a user is collectively consigned to the dustbin... perhaps too quickly. People do develop into their time on the boards. Although beezel's thread about facebook was something of a mockery (we shouldn't worry about other places becoming go-to destinations above the boards themselves), I do think we should avoid placing features here on the boards that actively encourage the development of cliques and give people the option - especially those who are popular here, those who set the social agenda - to alienate their peers.

I'd much rather tolerate a few bad eggs but be safe in the knowledge everyone who could have something positive to contribute to my time here is heard.

Problem users or those users still learning - well they should just be dealt with by the MS as usual.

7. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I used to be in favor of adding an ignore feature to the new board software but I've completely changed my mind based in reasons very similar to what Everton just posted.

8. Boba_Fett_2001

Boba_Fett_2001 Chosen One star 8

Dec 11, 2000
    This wouldn't have happened if you had Everton on ignore.

9. World_Cup_Wally

World_Cup_Wally Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2010
    I've never understood people whining about this. I ignore plenty of users. You don't need a 'feature' in order to do it.

10. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Who is whining?

If by 'whining' you mean requesting a feature, I agree simple convenience is incomprehensible.

Yes, users can be ignored, I do it quite often. There are few here on TFN I hardly even notice anymore.

Others are not as easy to ignore, especially when they constantly make comments directed at you which are then repeated by other users.

An ignore user button would be simple convenience, removing the need for energy required to ignore someone and completely negating the willpower factor.

11. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Perfect.

12. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Mocking's more entertaining anyway.

13. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    This feature would be a bad idea. Doesn't darth_boy make 1/3 of the threads on the message board these days? There would be nothing to talk about.

14. Dingo

Dingo Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 23, 2001
    This is it in a nutshell for me. And was why I ripped all the coding for it out of vB the last time we started down the path. I don't know what Grimby has done this time around in full but it has been a point of discussion.

15. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    I'm strongly against having an ignore button, pretty much for the reasons mentioned above.

16. darth_boy

darth_boy Jedi Grand Master star 7

Apr 1, 2001
    The thing is

THe JC hardly has any mods except for Dave.
    So it's a way of self modding. Cos the others post like once a month and seem out of touch.

Well maybe not Jello he posts a bit but not that much.

17. ApolloSmileGirl

ApolloSmileGirl Jedi Knight star 8

Jun 18, 2004
    Maybe he should put a call out for new, and more impressive trolls?

18. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes.

But, in terms of ignoring you? No way. I would subscribe to your posts if I could. You keep the arteries from clogging. Seriously.

I also agree with Juli above. We need a better class of troll.

19. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    LOL. That pretty much says it all right there.

20. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I wouldn't. You posted that you loved the first Pirates of the Caribbean film, but hated the two sequels. I couldn't agree more, and wouldn't want to have missed out on discovering there's something we agree on. :p

Practically anybody can come up with a post that practically anybody else can like.

21. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    I already exercise my right to ignore who I want to.

And what Everton said.

22. beezel26

beezel26 Jedi Master star 7

May 11, 2003

Take it from me, the best thing anyone on these boards can do is to ignore what people say about you. And then continue posting the way you are and living your life your way. Remember the best revenge is staying and becoming what you are, apart of this wonderful community of people from all over the world that all love Star Wars.

23. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Someday I hope if I stick around here long enough I will have an existential breakthrough just like you did, Beezel.

24. JoinTheSchwarz

JoinTheSchwarz Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 21, 2002
    I wouldn't bet on it.

25. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Shun the nonbeliever!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.