main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ iTunes music store allegedly opening here in days?

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SimplyThrilledHoney, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Interesting. Veeeeeeeery interesting.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Yep.

By the end of the week, I think...

3. Umbra

Umbra Jedi Youngling

Nov 29, 2006
    Thats excellent, where are they opening up?:)

4. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    By the end of the week, I think...

5. Kitt327

Kitt327 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 23, 2000
    Cool bananas. I bet they'll be people wandering around Westfield asking at the information booth where this new iTunes store they've heard about is ...

6. RedRaptorOne

RedRaptorOne Jedi Youngling

Jul 25, 2002
    Not to be snarky, but state your source. The editor of NZ NetGuide has stated that he knows nothing about Apple sorting out a NZ iTunes store and that we are most likely the only western country without iTunes access (December issue).

If this IS indeed true, hoozah! Season 3 of BSG here I come! :p

7. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Source. And this. And this. Plus other sources in the NZ music industry whom I know personally have indicated as much.

But you definitely won't be buying any TV programmes before they air here. The Aussie store (with which it's likely NZ's service will be based / synched) doesn't carry TV shows. And when they do, you can bet they won't be available prior to the local TV screenings.

8. RedRaptorOne

Jul 25, 2002
    They haven't even shown season two here yet!? :_|

What is stopping people from getting someone with a North American IP to get them account and then use that account down here? I would hope nothing...

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    That's the way to beat the system, but you may also need a US based credit card.

10. RedRaptorOne

Jul 25, 2002
    Was just discussing that with my flatmate. We reckon they must require a North American credit card too. Damn. Will have to think if it's worth sorthing out a credit card via the relatives in Canada. [face_whistling] I have one myself, but that's obviously an NZ based one. So annoying! Not like I'm trying to STEAL from them, just download stuff that's not available here but is back home! Arg! :_| :mad:

11. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    British iTunes doesn't even sell TV shows. :(

12. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    That is silly, I thought it wouldn't matter because it's all done over the net anyway.

13. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    screw paying for tv shows you can watch for free on tv, just download them off a torrent site or something!

14. RedRaptorOne

Jul 25, 2002
    Isn't Torrent sort of a hazy-illegal sorta site? I would rather offer some financial support than scam it off the net illegally. And they aren't on tv in New Zealand. Man, do I miss North American tv. TV in New Zealand is a joke. Like the Tasman TV Awards for example; if you nominate nearly anything, you'll win as there is no real compitetion between the three main channels. Lame.

15. Star_Rocker

Jan 16, 2006
    Well at least our weather system is better than anywhere else in the world. And compared to the news I've seen in Aussie I'd say our News is better too.
    Plus if you really want lots of channels you could just get Sky Digital. But it's way to expensive IMO.

16. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Weather system? Do you mean the actual weather or the way it's reported? :p

The 3D flyover was adopted by BBC news a couple of years ago. No one believes me that it comes from NZ.

17. Star_Rocker

Jan 16, 2006
    Well we do get 4 Seasons in one day...

But I meant the 3D Fly-over system. Way better than little pictures that represent the weather for the entire day.
    I heard they were complaining over there because it made England look bigger than it is, compared to Scotland and Wales or something?

18. zacparis

Sep 1, 2003
    Initially there was complaint that it mainly focused on England, but they've fixed that (apparently) by having a longer flyover of Scotland, Wales and NI. Other people complained that it was all brown and made the UK look like a desert, and others missed the old symbols. But I'm glad the Beeb stuck with it. To hell with all the old moaners!

19. RedRaptorOne

Jul 25, 2002
    Ah, but I miss the little wee symbols! :( :_|

BUT, the flyover is darn cool.

One last point on TV, I could get everything that Skydigital has for $30/month at home. So much cheaper and it was only CABLE, not satelite TV. Ah well, NZ is slowly catching up. People have finally realized that Telecom and Vodafone are shafting us with their cell networks ([face_shame_on_you]) and that broadband is actually capable of much more than what we get now. 'BAD TELECOM! Now go to your room!' :mad:

20. Star_Rocker

Jan 16, 2006
    Actually Broadband in New Zealand isn't more capable of what the sold us. Most of the lines around the country can't handle anything more than 5 or 6 Megs. And that's only download, not upload for games.
    But Telstra in Christchurch has a cable plan that has really good cable speed internet, and television.
    But that's because they installed new lines for themselves, and thats what telecom needs to do if we are ever to get ADSL 2.

What will we be able to buy off itunes then? Just music? Nothing else?

21. RedRaptorOne

Jul 25, 2002
    Mmhmmm...

I'm on Telestra cable now but am moving to the otherside of town, Burnside, next week that doesn't have cable access yet. The best Telestra can do is give me PDQ, which is the same as Telescam broadband, lameo. Ah well, lay that cable faster boys!![face_praying]

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Music videos. And maybe some local TV production houses will be proactive and sell the likes of Bro'Town etc. I see Bro'Town episodes are (legally) put on YouTube, so seems like those guys are up with the technology.

TV shows will come eventually (probably when it's rolled out in Australia), but they will not be able to be sold until after the TV air date.

23. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    I'm on the Telstra cable in Welly and LOVE it!!!

24. Star_Rocker

Jan 16, 2006
    Grrrrr.

Lucky you.

Well at least we'll be able to download more than we can now. I wonder if game of two halves will feature...but that's very unlikely.

25. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    it amazes me how slow the NZ TV networks are at screening stuff here. I just bought the second season of 'Battlestar Galactica' on DVD from Whitcoulls for $50. It hasn't screened here, despite being halfway through the 3rd season in the US. That'll probably be on DVD before it screens here.

See also the NBC version of "The Office". I have the second season on DVD and the first season has just started screening.

re: TV shows - if it's a show I really like, I'd rather have a DVD box set than an overnight download.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.