main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

VIDEO I've got a Koopa head poking out!- Quest's Backlog v2.0

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by The2ndQuest , Nov 29, 2009.

1. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    [image=[url]http://www.delawareonline.com/blogs/secondhelpings/uploaded_images/fatbastardscot-739250.jpg][/url] [image=[url]http://www.enter-play.com/images/smg/SMG_036.jpg][/url]

This is where you get to help me go through my backlog of unplayed/unfinished games. Below is my console backlog list. Let me know what your top 3 suggestions are for what game I should play after the ones I'm currently playing. The ones suggested most will be the next up to bat for me.

I'll also be updating this opening post to reflect the current state of this effort.

Currently Playing (console):
    -Mario Kart Wii (Mirror Cup left)
    -ZombiU

Currently Playing (portable):
    -Henry Hatsworth in the Puzzling Adventure (DS)
    -The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
    -The Legend of Zelda: The Phantom Hourglass (DS)
    -Castlevania 2-Pack: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA)
    -Retro Gaming Challenge (DS)

Currently Playing (retro/virtual):
    -Mega Man 9

On Deck:
    Console
    -The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (picking up where I left off)
    Retro/Virtual
    -Mega Man 10
    Portable
    -TBD

Current Backlog:
    Console
    -A Boy and the His Blob (Wii) (unplayed)
    -Battlestar Galactica (PS2) (unplayed)
    -Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64) (unplayed)
    -Deus Ex Machina: Human Revolution- Director's Cut (Wii U) (unplayed)
    -God of War (PS2) (unplayed)
    -Grand Theft Auto III (PS2) (played it some- I vaguely recall the last mission was like the scene in Payback where you hit the chinese by crashing into their vehicle with yours before jacking their loot)
    -Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2) (played it some when i borrowed it froma friend, so i have a save file, thoguh i've never played the actual copy i got as a gift)
    -Halo (XB) (unplayed)
    -Killer 7 (GCN) (unplayed)
    -Kingdom Hearts (PS2) (played it a little- I know the combat is really awkward but I managed to get off the first island and am in that first town with Donald Duck I think)
    -Kirby's Epic Yarn (Wii) (unplayed)
    -The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Adventure (GCN) (a level or two into the game solo)
    -The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask (N64) (I couldn't tell you...I'm not sure I ever even found the first dungeon...though i might have beaten the dungeon already, I can't remember- so long ago)
    -Luigi's Mansion (GCN) played for a few hours, but was so distracted by Rogue Leader during the GCN launch this never got a lot of love though I did enjoy what I played)
    -Mad World (Wii)
    -Marvel Ultimate Alliance (Wii)
    -Mass Effect (360) (unplayed)
    -Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
    -Muramasa: The Demon Blade (Wii) (unplayed)
    -Ninja Gaiden (XB) (unplayed)
    -Paper Mario: The Thousand Year Door (GCN) (unplayed) (though I disliked Super Paper Mario a little- it seemed like the RPG stuff interrupted the momentum the platforming built up, and the RPG elements were so text heavy that it almost seemed like an ROG satire; but I did love Mario RPG and recall enjoying the original Paper Mario- so I'm not sure how it'll compare)
    -The Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time (GCN) (I played a few levels, though recall being stuck in a room with a bed in it or something)
    -Rayman Legends (Wii U) (some played)
    -Rayman Origins (Wii) (unplayed)
    -Red Steel (Wii) (savefile lost, must start over)
    -Resident Evil 4 (GCN) (unplayed)
    -Shadow of the Collosus (PS2) (unplayed)
    -Skies of Arcadia Legends (GCN) (unplayed)
    -Starfox Assault (GCN) (I think I'm close to the end of the game- I think I was defending a space station where the alien race arrived from their galaxy at)
    -Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast (GCN) (a few levels into thus- i forget where I'm at now though, it's after the Imperial base...maybe Nar Shadaa, not sure)
    -Super Luigi U (Wii U)

COMPLETED:
    -Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition (Wii U)
    -Beyond Good & Evil (GCN)
    -Donkey Kong Country Returns (Wii)
    -The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
    -LEGO Star Wars 2: The Original Trilogy (GCN)
    -Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (GCN)
    -New Super Mario Bros U (Wii U)
    -New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii)
    -Super Mario Galaxy (Wii)

2. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    1) Kingdom Hearts - This might be nostalgia talking, but this game is an absolute must and one of my favorite PS2 games. Once the campaign gets going and you find a rhythm, the combat system, along with the game itself, becomes a phenomenal blast. Fantastic story, gameplay, and the graphics hold up well eight years later. Oh, and the fact that it precedes the absolute best game of the 21st century might give you a little motivation. ;)

2) Super Mario Galaxy - Probably the best 3D platformer I've ever played.

3) Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - I don't remember this game specifically, but I love the series (Jedi Academy stands as my favorite of the bunch).

3. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    I've actually contemplated a thread like this myself.

In any case I recommend some shorter games to get you rolling and help you feel like you've achieved something and thus more likely to continue.

1) Beyond Good and Evil: Great game nobody played. Fairly short, very fun, great art design and it's neat going around photographing the rare animals. Quite easy.
    2) Sands of Time: Another not-overly-long game, but outstanding platforming and the combat is fairly simple once you get the cheeseball tricks down. :p Great prep for the movie coming out soon as well. I really loved the design aesthetic.
    3) Shadow of the Colossus: One of my favourite games of all time. This is one you can play for bits at a time (beating one Colossus, for example). I love the variation in the enemies, the whole world design and the 'fill-your-own-story' style. Epic.

4. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    personally i was extremely unimpressed with kingdom hearts, and yes i DID play a ways into it. can't remember how long, but was something like forty or more hours in and just got intolerably bored.

5. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I played through KH until the final boss battle then I never finished it.:p

I have alot of backlog as well. I'm trying to finish FF12 before the next FF comes out.

6. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    PS2 crashed facing the optional Kurt Zisa boss (I had nothing left to do except beat the final boss at that point) and I never went back to it. I also have KH2 still in its shrinkwrap case. :p

7. MariahJSkywalker

MariahJSkywalker Poopoo Head star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 11, 2005
    I played a few hours of KH2. I probably won't go back to it for a long time.

8. Reynar_Tedros

Reynar_Tedros Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 3, 2006
    ITT: Kingdom Hearts haters.

9. MarcusP2

Jul 10, 2004
    I don't hate the game. I do intend on finishing one day. :p

10. Qui-Gon_Reborn

Qui-Gon_Reborn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 11, 2008
    1. Star Wars Jedi Knight II: Jedi Outcast - I'm a huge fan of the JK series, especially Jedi Academy, and this game is definately timeless in my book. Maybe I have a soft spot for it because it was one of the first Star Wars games I ever played, back when I was nine years old (a long time ago :p ), but even now, all these years later, it never gets old. It's an awesome game, and I think you'll enjoy it.

2. God of War - Speaking of awesome, this game is the embodiment of the word.

3. LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy - Fun with a capital F and a capital U and a capital N. Did I say that JK: JO was timeless? Well, this game is beyond timeless. This game is eternal. :p

11. hansen

hansen Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 25, 2003
    The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask - Love this one for creating an atmosphere and a mood that's fairly unique compared to other Zelda games. I've never wanted to save the world more.

Super Mario Galaxy - Despite being a little too easy it's probably my favorite of the 3D Mario games.

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption - I consider this one an improvment over the somewhat dissapoiting Metroid Prime 2. While I think the first one in the trilogy is the best one, I admire how this one wanted to tell more of a story in game rather than hide it all in the scans.

Wow, don't I look like a Nintendo fanboy with those choices...

12. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    Hansen's choices are really consistent with the ones you are currently playing, and was actually what I was going to suggest, but then I thought maybe it would be better with a fresh set of franchises to give you some variety. Also, your current lineup, by my standards, consists of two games with a somber/dark mood, and one bright and cheery. So for your next lineup, for a change of mood, I suggest you do the opposite and go with two lighthearted and one somber. My suggestions:

Conker's Bad Fur Day
    Beyond Good & Evil (A hidden gem. Not a masterpiece, but definitely deserves a playthrough.)
    Shadow of the Colossus (This is the somber one. I suggest you don't let there be too far between each time you play this to keep the momentum of the experience. When you pick up a game after a long pause it just doesn't feel the same, you know? Maybe it loses the feel of urgency, or maybe it's just me... In any case, SOTC is one the best game experiences I've ever had, so you really want to get the most out of it.)

13. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Playing the sequels to the games in my current lineup next isn't a mandatory approach- though I'm not opposed to it, either, a little variety never hurt. ;)

Never thought of selecting things based on balancing the games' "moods" of cheery or somber. That's an interesting approach.

14. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've come to the conclusion that I just don't feel like playing SMS as much in the middle of the winter- it's been my virtual vacation for a few summers in a row so I think I'll preserve that tradition one more year and wiat until the summer or late spring comes around to crack it back open and finish off those blue coins and secret shines.

Plus I have scoured every single 3D pixel of Noki Bay, following every guide I can's instructions to the letter and yet somehow I'm still missing 1 blue coin from that level. I have a feeling the coming frustration surrounding that will require a whole summer anyways. ;)

So I'll shelve that one for now and remove the restriction on SMG. Currently tackling MP2- I'm in the Dark Torvus Bog about to face the boost ball boss.

EDIT- Finally took him down after almost an hour and a half- tough sucker, that one. Looks like I'm about a little over halfway through the game. On my way to the Gravity Boost and Alpha Bogg.

15. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    My Scan Logbook is now at 60% and I've got just acquired the Gravity Boost and Grappling Beam. Good pace if I keep it up. Really digging this game- the graphics are incredible, a huge improvement over MP1 (I always disliked the sort of glowy neon look to Samus's armor in the first game, but here she's much more realistic, gritty and grounded). It also has a darker, more horror-like feel to it, which complements the challenge of the (non-Trilogy) game.

16. The Great No One

The Great No One Jedi Grand Master star 8

Jun 4, 2005
    i don't hate it either, i just got bored with it and didn't think it was quite so amazing as everyone was making it out to be is all. my opinion differs, sue me.

17. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    1) LEGO Star Wars II: The Original Trilogy - You can beat the game w/o all the extra stuff in a few hours.

2) Marvel Ultimate Alliance - This one isn't very long either, especially if you can get a friend to help you

3) Beyond Good & Evil - pretty short too

So do those three, you'll feel like you accomplished something and only have 1209384 to go!

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    So for this week I've been mostly wandering around the light and dark worlds (ran out of light gun ammo so i had to take the long way once or twice, took a wrong portal once or twice), but I've picked up a few missile expansions and a map station I had missed as well as a couple Lore bits. Looks like I'm about to take on Chykka/get the Dark Visor. Hoping to take care of that tomorrow or sometime this weekend.

And thanks for the suggestions and input, folks. I think what I'll do, after I finish MP2, is add one of the "short" games to the Currently Playing list, alongside the most suggested game (which may or may not be short in of itself).

EDIT- Alright, I've taken care of Evil Shamu and Mothra, gotten the Dark Visor and restored the power to the Torvus Temple. Onto the Sanctuary!

I can't wait to fight Amanda Tapping!

;)

19. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Didn't have time to get an extended block of gaming in due to some chaos of preparing for the coming holiday, so I broke pattern this week for something that was better suited for smaller stop-and-go sessions and finally opened up my Wii Zapper and played through Link's Crossbow Training. Really fun- better than I had expected. Link with an automatic crossbow mowing down zombies and keese feels surprisingly natural :D.

20. Wyndmage

Wyndmage Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 30, 2009
    I feel ya on the backlog. A great thread you started here! I agree that Link's crossbow game is fun and is worth the price.

21. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    My suggestions, and brief explanations.

1) Definitely The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. That game is beautiful in so many ways. Rather than try to recreate OOT, Nintendo took an entirely different approach, and ended up with an excellent story with so many diverse themes woven into the fabric. The sidequests in particular are interesting, though they can distract you...

2)Jedi Outcast. Just an all-around good game. Good combat, an excellent foray into the NR era, and it's Kyle Katarn.

3) Believe it or not, Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (Wii). I have played both the Wii Version and the PC version (which is a port of the main 360 version), and I would suggest that the Wii version is actually superior. While some parts of the game were frustratingly cut out, it compensated with the Wiimote. The control is better, and the attacks are more varied. The game just feels more worthwhile on the Wii. Plus, the saber colors are better. No goofy black- and instead of the meh-worthy "unstable" blades and "compressed" blades, it has actual different shades of colors, including the Heart of the Guardian and Mantle of the Force from KOTOR (though it doesn't specifically name them as such).

22. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I intend to pick back up with my MP2 efforts within the next week (between holidays and stuff getting moved around and a busy work shcedule, just haven't had the time- and this past week I've been focusing free time on cleaning up some basement space to start condensing my collections down).

I have played a bit of Scribblenauts to keep my gaming nerves active, though- even though I realize DS titles don't qualify for the current focus of this thread project.

23. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    So, basically you are saying you haven't accomplished anything.

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Hush, you.

Resumed MP2 tonight- taking on the sanctuary fortress. Really cool environment that's very different in look than anything prior in this game or the first one. Those quad top things are real pains though. The rezbit attacks that force you to restart your suit's systems is a neat new kind of attack/interaction. That gyroscope reactor is way scary technology. Not many things in the world can actually scare me, but if I were to come across such a device in real life, I'd be in awe and fear of it.

25. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Spiderball acquired, scans are at 77%. Progress looking good.