main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

I've got some beef with this board. (Rant.)

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by SilverFox0440, Jun 6, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. phantom31415

phantom31415 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 3, 2002
    Gentlemen, please learn your physics if you are going to use it to argue. Some of the "dark matter" arguments I've heard in here are absurd!

Not that it matters in Star Wars. If it looks good, do it! But if you do use science, use it right, or the Phantom will get you! Mwahahahahah!

Btw, dark matter = mathmatical construct used to explain the motion of stars in a galaxy. The stars move in such a way that there must be something there, but nobody knows just what it is yet. We have no idea what dark metter is, but it sure as heck ain't antimatter.

2. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001

It's "license".

(still can't get fiance right...I've tried alt everything)

:p

3. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Fiancé.

:D

M. Scott

4. SilverFox0440

SilverFox0440 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 28, 2001
    Fine, I'll give up if we can drop the subject. Maybe my notes are wrong, I don't know. I probably scribbled down the two subjects with out making a line to divide them, since we had them in the same chapter. I don't care anymore. You win. ;)

Oh, and make sure your num-lock is on so that you can use the numpad to type the numbers 1, 3, and 0 at the same time as alt. the product is : é. :)

5. DaftMaul

DaftMaul Former TFN Fan Films Staff star 5 VIP

Feb 18, 2001
    Hey Ex, If you're really interested in knowing, hold down the alt key and type an e at the same time, and then let go and type e as normal that way you'll get an é (this is on a Mac of course)

ello Madame Moi name iz éxfilms

6. JEDIBYKNIGHT

JEDIBYKNIGHT Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 17, 2001
    set your keyboard to "French" (which will change your usual "qwerty" to "azerty"), type 2, and you get é !

Of course, that is just a really complicated way of doing it. But I'm a complicated person. :)

7. Crook

Crook Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    Well, I know it's not exactly the central point of the thread here, but I hate scientific inaccuracy. A refresher to start with:

"dark matter" which has a complementary composition, or charge, to "light matter," which you learn about in highschool physics, that when concentrated in high enough numbers behaves inversely to the way that light matter does, thus making it's color spectrum inverted.

but darkmatter is a highly controversial subject in itself, as different schools teach it different ways, so, perhaps, Crook, either of us could be right, because I referenced my notes from school on the physics of dark matter, and it fully supports what I said.

If you were taught the above in school, your physics teacher was/is, unfortunately, crap. And you can tell them that from me....

If those are your high school notes, burn them as they are wrong. You wont pass any exams writing that, although whoever marks it may get a good laugh. It's not your fault you were taught this however, so thats one hell of a shame for you.

Different schools teach different science? I bloody well hope not, but I do recognise some parts of the world have really the wrong idea about things.
    For example, I wonder how many people here realise that in some countries (and some states of the US) evolution itself isn't taught? Amazing really when you consider the overwhelming body of evidence. I bet they teach that the world if flat too :) I digress.....
    Each to their own I guess. As long as it's only a few economically unimportant countries and only a few states of the US, thats fine with me, they can BE wrong, it wont affect the facts. It's a real shame though that people go through their lives believing such rubbish. I suppose there has to be a shallow end of the gene pool.

I've got a chemistry degree, am working on my physics degree part time, and I'm a teacher of science up to the ages of 18 (just before your degree starts for those not in UK). I know whereof I speak.

8. ExFilms

ExFilms Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 9, 2001
    Fiancé WOOOOOHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

Thanks Daft...I owe you a big one. I would have been sitting here typing "alt-1-3-0" for weeks if you didn't show up.

JBK - Vous êtes tres compliqué!! (still learning)

Crook - This thread is not about physics. It's about how to get the little accent thingy above the "e".

9. Crook

Crook Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 11, 2002
    I thought it was about how to spell 'license'?

10. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    oh, yeah, sorry. I forgot that some of you use macs. Not that i'm a windows fan, I'm all for linux. I didn't think it would be any different though, because on windows and linux it's the alt 1-3-0 thing. As for teaching differently, I meant only on the conrtoversial subjects, not the whole lot of physics. Because so little is known about dark matter, I guess they have to teach it in a very vague way. As for my school, it's Caddo Magnet High, an all-magnet school, with this thing called "acedemic excellency" which means that all of the students there maintain a certain gpa. It's one of the best high schools in the US. The textbook we use is New Century Senior Physics. So, I'm thinking that I must have taken my notes wrong. That was but a minor side note, however, and shouldn't be the focus of the thread. The point was to make sure that new filmmakers knew that they can do whatever they want to in their film, and I wanted to compile a list of tutorials and such into one massive list for them. I don't know how it got so off-track.

11. Ptx

Ptx Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 19, 2000
    You bought a book on VHS? What's that then? You press play and watch someone else read it? :D

Pete

12. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    No, it's a textbook.

13. WinterRose

WinterRose Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 6, 2001
    Folks? I wanna ask you something. Bear with me here if I start on a topic that was discussed before. I sort of glazed over in the other two pagefulls of posts when people started arguing back and forth about physics and typos. (bo-ring)

All this argument over why there can or can't be a valid reason for a Blacksaber. I suppose there's valid and stupid points to be made. But ask yourselves this. When, if ever, do the movies or games ever go into how a lightsaber works? When Windu breaks out the purple one, does everybody on screen stop and go 'Hold on a sec! That's a darned pretty lightsaber, how'd you get it to glow purple? The Adegan crystal in mine only does green!" Is it important to any story we're trying to understand for us to know why it would be black, or plaid or whatever?

All that's really important for a saber to convey on screen is that it glows and that it cuts stuff REALLY well. If I wanted to watch a physics documentary, I'd watch Public TV or go investigate anti-grav research. If I'm watching Star Wars, who cares why it's black instead of green?

Geez people, even the overly technical Star Trek people know deep down that the 'science' of their shows is theoretical at best, and meaningless technobabble at worst. The physics of the tech we're seeing really don't enter into it unless they're broken and need fixing onscreen. Otherwise, if it ain't broke, why are you telling me how it works?

I don't care if dark matter could or couldn't be wielded as a blade. i don't care if the Jedi is using a magic Marker instead of some mined Jedi Crystal to make an ink black beam. Does it cut stuff? If it does, I'm good. If not, what's it doing onscreen anyway?

As for inverting the colour of the blade in Photoshop... I really must try that in Photoshop to see what it may look like. Some people say it looks like crap. I hate being told by people what's crap or not. So I'm gonna try it anyway. At least in ONE pic. If colour inversion was good enough for the killing energy effects of the Daleks' guns in Dr. Who, I think I'd like to see what it looks like on everyone's favorite light-weapon...

'Arguing on the internet is like winning the special olympics. You may actually win, but you'll still be retarded.'
    -Found poster...

-WinterRose

14. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    Personally, I quite agree. I try not to think too much about it. I don't do too well but I don't go Trekkie about it.

I mean, if you think too hard, you start to wonder how Obi found his hyperspace ring so quickly in the vast vacuum around Kamino, quickly enough to chase Jango to Geonosis. Or how he found the damned thing AT ALL, let alone quickly.

You don't need too much explanation, it bogs the STORY down.

Black lightsabers look terrible. I'm not in the habit of shutting down effects without experimenting. There've been experiments. I've done it. Others have done it. Ryan W has done it and Lord knows he and I both know our way around a saber effect. NO ONE has made one that looks good. Find something new to innovate with, people. This is just a dead horse.

M. Scott

15. Sauja-Dupen

Sauja-Dupen Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 22, 1999
    SilverFox0440
    No offense but, you're waisting your time.

Althought I disagree with tumblemoster's aggressive approach, I agree with his message: The people who would need the resources you propose the most, are the exact people who would never read them.

(I also think it really unfair to label Newbies are less educated or imaginative than anyone else, that just not true).

As for the Black Sabre, regardless of whether it is innovative or a desparate atttempt to be different, whether is it scientifically justifiable or not, or even if it is cool or not that fact is that on screen, it looks awful.

Has anyone seen footage with black sabre? (note I haven't read through the whole thread yet so forgive me if someone has).
    EDIT: the last post! Way to go DorkmanScott

I've too seen footage with a black core and dark purple feathered glow. Someone on the fanfilmsforum.com did one many moons ago. I just looked fake. (He got a similar response from the crowd back then too. btw).

And the morale of this story is:
    Live and let live. (or Live and let die).

Sauja

PS: Most Anti matter particles are identical to thier matter counterparts except their electic charge is the exact opposite.

Dark matter is theoretical, and it's composition is unknown.

16. SilverFox0440

Nov 28, 2001
    "I also think it really unfair to label Newbies are less educated or imaginative than anyone else, that just not true." I didn't mean all newbies, it just seems to be a recurring trend.

And maybe I was thinking of antimatter and called it dark matter. I think thats where my mistake was. And, yes, you all are right, the people I want to read my document are the people who wouldn't, but I hope that someone reads them, and I'm going to do this wether you all help or not, so it doesn't matter what you all think. It would be easier if you would help, though, which is why I started the thread. And since mine is not specifically about starwars, it would reach people outside of the forum (how many times must I justify it?!), so it could help more people than the FAQ. Anyhoo, sorry about the darkmatter confusion, and I didn't seek to insult any newbies, I'm just here trying to help.

17. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    "Althought I disagree with tumblemoster's aggressive approach..."

Aggresive? I was just trying to use "Correct logic."

-tm

18. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    ha ha! random Neszis, oops I meen random Whispering Death bump

19. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    No. You did NOT just copy me. I hate you all over again.

:D No, but seriously, get ur own idea!

~Neszis~

20. JediTAC

JediTAC Jedi Knight star 5

Nov 30, 2000
    Of all posts to bump ... he chooses THIS one. :mad:

21. Quin-Dara-Ken

Quin-Dara-Ken Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 22, 2002
    BRAVO Dragon SCythe!!
    I never knew there would be someone out there who would be as interested in the astronomy of our solar system as me! finally some people with some brains!! and about time too!
    Silver fox, are you british or simply retarded?! [face_plain]
    I resent every single one of your allegations towards people who are new in here. Like some people said before, this forum exists to EXCHANGE ideas, knowledge etc. there are people out there who are new to this, people who, just like me, wish to present a story, something they dreamed up of. The fact that this story doesn't have the "Artististic presentation" or "creative Edge" that you expect, doesn't mean that they're dimwitted and have no imagination at all... Yes, you may have not said it, but you specifically implied that we the "Newbies" have no imagination are dimwitted. What makes your allegation even more offensive is that you state that we are "un-educated" guess what buddy, I'm in the honors role at my college, I just made the "presidential Honors List" with a 3.7 out of 4.0, also, by the time I was 15, I made my first computer program which was a small O/S very similar to DOS and I was able to make it work with a user name and password, are you calling me ignorant now!?!
    Here's something else to shock you, I also am conisidered more than just a good writter, I'm good to the point where I'm in the process of writting my own Fantasy book which is not based off any Sci Fi or Star Wars book, it's more based off Tolkien's works, so my spelling and writting is short than "un-educated" and guess what? I also took French classes for two years, still calling me dumb because I'm a "newbie?"
    By the way, like some one else pointed out earlier... WELCOME to the Internet! not everybody is as smart as you. (although by this point, you're looking dumber than you did before)
    Don't pick on new people just because of from what YOU'VE seen, remember, there are other people out there who are new and are remarkably bright. Up to this point, I blame you for inadvertently starting this argument and you should be ashamed of yourself.I'm going to to stop now before I throw a fit.
    Jedi Master Dara-Ken.
    P.S. hmm... funny, I'm new and so far on this post... I have NO Spelling ERRORS!!!

22. tumblemoster

tumblemoster Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 1, 2000
    Great WisperingDeath, Now you've done it....

-tm

23. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    lol, sorry i couldn't help it... I was looking for one of my earliest posts and I came across this. So I says to myself, as I always do what I am faced with a decision, what would Nezius do?

24. Lord_Homer

Lord_Homer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 30, 2002
    What is your obsession with Neszis?!

25. *DMaul*

*DMaul* Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2000
    Actually, this is one of the reasons why our fan film hasnt been completed yet...

Back in the day, the fan film community was small. I had started posting at the FFF in late 1999 when I discovered it. Back then, it was only a few of us, and only a couple tests and stuff on tf.n...Now the fam film community has grown very large (not saying this is bad ;)) due to Episode 2, and some of the smaller films spawning even more and more Jedi vs Sith lightsaber duels in the forests (ok, half of what our movie was going to be was that but the idea was concieved 3 years ago, so give me a break ;))..

But my point is, fan films arent what they used to be, and I think its something we're just going to have to accept even tho we may not want to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.