main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

J.J. Abrams STAR TREK XI

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by ObiWanCon, Jul 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    The wormhole did though.

2. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    :rolleyes:

3. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Sorry... I absolutely loathe that show. It's not remotely true to what Star Trek is about, in my opinion. Also there were far too many alien main characters to be able to relate to anyone. And the human characters that were there were horrid actors. Sisko and the doctor guy were just deplorable as actors. Avery Brooks should never get work again in Hollywood after his performance as Sisko.

4. Panther50

Panther50 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2004
    I quite liked DS9 myself, and the acting was no worse then in any of the other Trek series.

5. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    Funny, I thought DS9 was one of the better acted Treks.

6. The Bigger Fish

The Bigger Fish Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 24, 2000
    I feel the same way, although more indifference rather than loathing. I've watched several episodes, but they have never been able to hold my interest.

7. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    Sorry... I absolutely loathe that show. It's not remotely true to what Star Trek is about, in my opinion.

Perhaps that?s why I liked it so much. Rather than static characters and a guaranteed return to normalcy at the end of every episode, DS9 actually had character development, while the running plot-line centering around Bajor and later the Dominion War worked wonders for actually getting some reoccurring themes, and thus substance to the show. I loved the religious/spiritual awakening arc in relation to the Sisko character enough that I?d say he trails only Picard as the most complete central figure of any of the series.

Yes, DS9 was a departure, but to me that?s what made it so good. Unfortunately, from here Trek had to go the way of the retreads and offer up those two nails in the coffin known as Voyager and Enterprise.

8. Juliet316

Apr 27, 2005
    =D=

9. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    See I guess it's just a personal thing because I loved Voyager. Thought it was a gigantic improvement over DS9.

10. malkieD2

malkieD2 Ex-Manager and RSA star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 7, 2002
    Wow tim - I didn't know you felt so strongly!

I never really watched DS9, but my father loved it more than any other series. I prefered Voyager myself, possibly because the aliens etc were totally new, and Janeway spent most of the show breaking or bending the prime directive.

Kinda jumped the shark towards the end though.

11. NJOfan215

NJOfan215 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 17, 2003
    I think deep space nine was really good. Sure it was very different from the other star trek shows. I kind of think of it as another type of show just set in the same universe.

12. ObiWanCon

ObiWanCon Jedi Master star 4

Apr 15, 2004
    I like seasons 3 & 4 of Voyager but now I can't stand to watch it if it's on I'll turn over but I love DS9 it's not the normal Star Trek formula but that's OK and it has one of my favourite Star Trek characters ever Chief O'Brien and I don't know if I should say this but I like Enterprise I wish it had got at least one more season because season 4 had some great episodes I'm hoping Star Trek XI is good and will lead to a new series a few years down the line.

13. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    ^That's a long sentence without any breaks, not even a comma. [face_hypnotized]

14. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Sometimes mods wish they could use their edit buttons for the power of understanding... ;)

Malkie yes I feel very strongly about Trek. Like many things, I have strong opinions. I look forward to this next film to see where it goes. I did notice when watching the extras for the earlier Star Trek films that this Kirk/Spock at the acadamy idea has been tossed around before. I think it was like Star Trek V era...

15. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    DS9 is easily the best Trek series, I'd also go as far as saying it's the best Sci-Fi series.

I felt like Voyager dragged Trek through the gutter.

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Well yeah that's why I made my comment that people have really widely varied reactions to Star Trek. Like I hate the Original Series. Cannot stand it. Love TNG. We all have our things. All of this really is a case for making a new Trek film with a cast culled from TNG, DS9 and Voyager. Then we'd all have someone we like.`

17. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    That was my point. No one will ever convince anyone otherwise, and I didn't try to. I just wanted to throw my support for DS9 in there. :p

18. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Alright, let's get back to discussing the forthcoming film; I am sure that there are other threads on TNG, DS9, Voy in general! :)

I remember a while back, on AICN reading a script summary of the cancelled Academy movie that was going to be the alternate option if Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country wasn't made. It was actually quite good...

19. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    http://trekweb.com/articles/2006/11/24/Harve-Bennett-on-Parallels-With-His.shtml

Harve Bennett again talks about the nearly-made 'The Academy Years'. John Cusack as Spock?! Ethan Hawke as Kirk?!

20. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Harve Bennett lost all respect from me when I saw him state that Star Trek V was the best ST film ever, even better than IV. Put down the crack, Harve.

21. CaptainBinaca

CaptainBinaca Jedi Master star 3

Jul 15, 2005
    Did he really say that? Maybe it was because of his little cameo as the Admiral.

22. Kol_Skywalker

Jun 9, 2006
    Are you sure it wasn't a typo, and he left off an 'I'.. and meant VI, instead of V? Because VI: The Undiscovered Country was a great Trek movie, and one of the best of the Original Cast.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Go watch the extras for the 2 disc DVD of Star Trek V. He said it. I lost all respect for the man.

24. DarthButt

DarthButt Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 11, 2003
    Harve Bennett lost his job after ST 5. He wasn't in the picture for 6. Nicholas Meyer and Leonard Nimoy are responsible for the better Star Trek movies. Star Trek 4 was the highest grossing, but 2, 3, and 6 are the better movies of the OS generation, IMO. I think 3 is highly underrated.

25. Everton

Everton Chosen One star 10

Jul 18, 2003
    I agree with zacparis on these issues.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.