main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DFW, TX Jackie Chan the MAN, or Jet Fire Li

Discussion in 'MidSouth Regional Discussion' started by krwade3, Feb 19, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krwade3

krwade3 Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 4, 2000
    Now it has been previously discussed time and time again that some believe that Jet Li would bring down the house of Chan. I say this is not true. So I ask for my friends opinion on this ever so controversial.. If you havent seen much of chan in action or if you have,but not everything in his selection I suggest you take a look at these three movies. "Who Am I","Gorgeous",and "Dragons Forever". These have to be some of the most stunning works of art in regards to action scene's that is.. Drop a post and lets start a poll...

2. Genetic_Misfire

Genetic_Misfire Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 4, 2000
    Hey Kenley! Good to hear from you.

I do believe we ALL know that Jackie Chan wouldn't stand a chance against Jet Li. Your the only one with the sad, pathetic misconception that Jackie Chan would take out Li.

James

3. Nabooty_Call

Nabooty_Call Former RSA / Obi-Wan Impersonator star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 11, 2000
    So are we comparing martial prowess in RL or from the action segments of their movies?

Admittedly, I've only seen a little of Chan (Supercop & Rush Hour) and Li's (Black Mask, Twin Warriors) work, but imo it seems like Chan's focus during his real stunts would give him an edge in a RL encounter.

Li probably has the better movie fight scenes.

Please let me know what films to have a better basis from which to judge!

4. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
    See I knew of all people that you would say Jet Li. But until you have seen the movies listed I think you should reserve your judgement... Especially Gorgeous... what he does in that is beyond anything I can ever dream of (the work out) training they way he does at 47,man Im not that in shape at 25.....

5. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    Kenley, WAKE UP MAN! Jackie Chan is ok, but you have to admit that Jet Li would smack him around.

BTW, when do you come back in to town?

James

6. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
    OK I just got done watching Fist of the Legend. And Jet li is muh slower,much smaller and not as agile. He is second best to none other than Jackie Chan. Question... Why is it no movie of Jet Li's ever shows him off... I mean in almost every Chan movie they show his workout him doing Hand Standing PUSH UPS.... Good God can you imagine... The strength necessary to do a push up with ALL the wait of your body directly above your head!!!

Red 5 out

7. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
    BTW Ill be in town pretty soon,but Im not gonna say when,I rather enjoy surprising you Peeps... Only a few souls know and would rather Die than tell... So dont go asking around,cause then I will have to call in a favor from one of my Cali Cartel Friends...

Red 5 out

8. JarvisW

JarvisW Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 21, 2000
    They are both ok. Chan's stunts are unsurpassed and Li's great too.

But have you ever heard of Bruce Lee!?!
    He'd kick both these guy's into last century! And Chan yould be the first to admit that.
    MHO

MTFBWY!

9. Kurgan1

Kurgan1 Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 19, 2000
    That's true. Bruce Lee put both of them to shame. I wish the poor guy was still around. =(

10. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
    Bruce Lee opened the way for Chinese AMERICANS,and he came far considering he was parelized. But I have actually researched this.(watched alot of DVD's) and chan has surpassed Bruce. Now that may be because he is dead... But Chan was studing Kung Fu Before Bruce and was in movies BEFORE bruce. see Chan is 47 maybe older I will have to go check. He has been traing since he was 2... He didnt learn how to read til he was 17... all he did was train and practice. So for 45 years chan has been training.... Broken almost every bone in his body (well alot of them anyway) He has been Black barred from all insurance agencies in China. He is # 1 and his stunt team is #2(as far as being black barred from the insurance agencies) Chan was Bruce lees stunt double for a while. Bruce lee had something going for him. He was born on american soil. Chan was not. as a matter of fact he was sold to the Chinese Opera for money for his family so they could survive. We are not talking the Glamor of a camera,because as we have seen it can make anyone look good (Steven Seagal Van Damne him,and even beloved Lawrence fishburne) (morpheous). I give credit where credit is due. All are good and had Bruce been alive Chan wouldnt be where he is today. As a matter of fact he is where he is today still because of the foundation that was laid for him by Bruce. Even Jordon had to retire...!! Doesnt mean that there wont be or isnt another greatest Basketball player in the world. Before him it was Julious Irving,before him it was Mosses Malone... Let not the camera fool your mind people....!!

Btw did a lil research He has Written, directed, acted and produced just under a hundred movies. His first being in 1962.

check this out.. http://jackiechan.nu/biography/

and he will be 47 in April.

RED 5 Out

11. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    I'm not trying to argue with you just bringing up a valid point. :)

I said that Chans stunts were awsome, and if Lee had survived maybe we would still have heard of Chan (most likely), but what I'm saying is its the fighting that I watch a kung-fu movie for. In that aspect there has never been any better than Bruce! He could knock a black belt 5 feet back on his butt from a 1 inch punch! Watch some of the great documentries made on his life. I also think I saw Chan say that Lee would win a fight between them. I think it was on Conan or Letterman but I'm not sure.

And you arent going to convence me of any argument that Segal's name is brought up in! ;) JK!
    There's a real hack! (Along with Van Dame)

Remember that Lee still lives in film and thats all it really is, A Movie. And you have to look at both that way. But Lee was a better fighter in RL. On film he is more intemidating. I didnt mean to PO you, I just wanted to make sure that Lee's name was involved (as it should always be ) in a Kung-Fu discussion.

:) MTFBWY :)

12. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
    very valid point Sir,but this thread is regards to the living not those that have lived. Often James and I have discussed battles between Chan and the Jet. See you have done your homework as far as Bruce. But research further. Because in a actual fight all the moves and styles that are used would be useless. Thus the reason for not even including me Lee. Stick to the topic,Bruce hasnt been forgotten just sitting on the side. We wouldnt ask who would win a light Sabre dual and say but wait,Bruce Lee was the Best swordsman that ever lived so if he had a Light Sabre he would win...

RED 5 Out

13. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    Ok, I wasnt trying to change the subject. I just brought Lee up because he is the only one I think about when it comes to Kung-Fu. I do like some of Chan's movies, alot of the original chinese ones that were dubbed over are good. But some of the first ones he made when he came over are just bad. And he wasn't used fully. The latter films are good too but when the stunts started to overshadow the fights it lost me, (Not that it wasn't enjoyable it just isn't my thing.)
    As for Li, I still havent seen Crouching yet but I'm planning on seing it this week at the Granada.

For the lightsaber thing, well let me just say that it's mixing metaphors and that Lee really did have a great fighting style off camera ( he was world champ for gods sake!)and so does Chan. I really did heard Chan say that Lee is the man and it took it as that. Also that the on camera fighting style for both is questionable in RL (Its only a movie like I said)

I'll leave this discussion to the original topic. Untill I see Li's latest work I can't comment. And will only talk about Chan/Li in your topic after that.

BTW: Did we met at the dinner last week or see each other at the last meeting? I just wanted to put a face on your name. I'm still meeting all the DFW members. :)

Have a good time and MTFBWY!

14. krwade3

Dec 4, 2000
    No we havent met yet that will be in a couple of weeks. I havent been in Dallas for a while. Crouching Tiger Stars Action star Chow Yun Phat, not Jet Li. Jackie Chan is a very Humble man. I think he would say that I could beat him, but we all know that isnt true. But I look forward to meeting any and all the New members.

see you soon

RED 5 Out

KP

15. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    Oh yeah, I have got my filcks crossed.

Cool! be glad to meet ya. Just because we see films differently dosent mean we wont get along.

Later.

16. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    You're all wrong. Mark Hamill is the greatest swordsman and martial artist that has EVER lived. No one can swing a lightsaber back and forth, hitting everything in his path quite like he can. And he moves so fast that you can hardly see even a blur. Only old Alec Guiness even comes close, with his sweeping, graceful motions with a saber.

I'm also convinced that George Clooney has yet to show his true nature as the baddest martial artist in history, and would wipe the floor with Jackie Chan and Jet Li with a mere look.

And if you believe any of that, I have a WHOLE BUNCH of beachfront property in Arizona to sell you. =)

17. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    Kurgan, I am turning red LMAO! That did sum it up well.

Luke the master of the whine:" Nooooooo!... He told me YOU killed him!... BEN!" and of course "Were just a couple of shooting stars Biggs and we'll never be stopped!"

18. THX_Jedi

THX_Jedi Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2000
    You were really starting to scare me for a minute there Kurgan. We all know that Bruce Campbell is the king of sword fighting and "come get some" hand to hand fighing. :D

19. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    Hail to the king, baby.

20. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    So Kenley doesn't kill me, in the immortal words of Ike Broslovsky doing his impersonation of David Caruso's career, "It's my turn..."

When trying to compare the careers of Jet Li and Jackie Chan... I simply can't. To me, they are two completely different ballgames. Jackie, in the films that I have seen him do, has always taken an almost "court jester" approach to his fight scenes, and Jet has taken a more serious, kickass approach. Not to say that I respect either less than the other, but they are just different. And not in that short bus kind of way, either.

I have the utmost respect for Jackie Chan. Hell, he got to even do a scene in "Enter The Dragon" with the greatness of Bruce Lee (God rest his soul). He's got more history in cinema, and he kind of paved the way for the new wave of Asian film stars in America. I honestly believe that it took Chan to "break through" to the mainstream over here to get us acquainted with the greatness of people like Michelle Yeoh, Chow Yun-Fat, and even Jet Li. There are some of us that were familiar with their work before now, but the masses have not really been privy to their great work.

Then, there's Jet Li. The first time I saw "Lethal Weapon 4" (even if it isn't the greatest example), I was severely impressed with this guy. Then, I got to see the original cut of "Black Mask" (although a bad copy from a guy watching a laserdisc, who would rewind it at some scenes, so I ended up watching some stuff more than once, whether I wanted to or not), and was even more intrigued. And even if you didn't like "Romeo Must Die" (which I did), you have to admit that the guy has got mad skills.

Perhaps Li is going to be the guy that Chan passes the torch to, in order to keep great martial arts cinema going into the years to come. But, I am just the man who would stick his neck out for his brothaman...

Can't wait to see you when you come home, Kenley. Or should I call you the King of Legoland? ;-)>

21. JarvisW

Nov 21, 2000
    Oh OK! He's the guy in LW4!
    *slaps forehead*
    Yep hes pretty good.

Like Bamm said. Chan does approach the fights tounge in cheek. Its not bad and mostly enjoyable. I just take it as that entertainment. (well thats what all films are :p)

Later, MTFBWY!

22. Kurgan1

Nov 19, 2000
    In Hong Kong, you would be dead.

He he he he he he he. I dig that movie. =)

23. Obi_Bamm_Karaoke

Obi_Bamm_Karaoke Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 19, 2000
    "It's fried rice, you plick."

"You have the right to an attorney. If you hire Johnny Cochran, I'll KILL ya!"

Hey Brandon, have you heard the commentary on that? Very good. That box set was the first DVD's that I ever bought.

24. Genetic_Misfire

Dec 4, 2000
    Kenley, I think you summed it up at Eric's birthday dinner.

"There are three things you never discuss with friends, family, or co-workers: Religion, politics, and Jet Li vs. Jackie Chan."

Jet Li is THE man, and I'm sorry that I haven't seen all the same Jackie Chan movies you have but I have seen quite a few (including Gorgeous). I stand by the simple FACT that Jet Li would annihilate Jackie 'old fart' Chan.

As far as Bruce Lee is concerned, he's a little girl that would get smacked by the likes of Mark Hammill and Alec Guiness. Not even worth Jet Li's effort.

James

25. Thom_Jadal

Thom_Jadal Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2001
    Blasphemy! Anyway, besides the fact that they are ALL stage fighters. (that's how they all trained) Bruce Lee is the only one I have heard of fighting in any real competetion (of course I dont know all that much about Jet Li) But this isnt about Bruce Lee versus them. Id have to say that Jackie Chan would win. They both have fast hands and yes Jackie Chan is by all definition a comedian(Half a Loaf of Kung-Fu) But Chan is a Drunken Style fighter and the basis of that training is learning to take a hit and push past it. Ah well. Just my opinion anyway, not that that ever amounted to much.
    Thom

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.