main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by The2ndQuest , Jan 8, 2007.

1. Merlin_Ambrosius69

Merlin_Ambrosius69 Jedi Master star 5

Aug 4, 2008
    All of the above considerations, plus the fact that the film has another four months of work to undergo, add up to the extreme likelihood that the CGI will be topnotch, and that we all be blown away by this movie.

2. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Well, to be fair, it might be a bit much to gush out right over it at this point- you shouldn't have to watch the trailer in HD or 3D for the CGI to look uncartoony.

3. Jedi_Master_Conor

Jedi_Master_Conor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 24, 2005
    While this movie is going to be very CGI-heavy, it does look very intriguing. Good cast line-up for it.

4. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I thought the thread title meant that James Cameron was posting here.

5. henchman24

henchman24 Jedi Youngling star 2

Feb 22, 2008
    Quality comes in its own time, and comes naturally.

Cameron was a visionary at one time, now he is trying to be a visionary, trying to set the bar and revolutionize Sci-Fi, instead of just making a good movie. It will certainly fail!

The same is true of anyone who starts to believe the hype, Tim Burton was a visionary as well, but the "wizard of weird" mystique effed that up. Now he is always trying to hard to be that guy, failing in the process.

I thought the trailer was comical, I felt cheated watching it for free online.

6. Salty

Salty Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 24, 1998
    What's so bad about it?

7. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998

I just watched the trailer a few times, and it finally struck me what I don't like about it: lack of shadows. It's very pretty, the CG is definitely first rate and it's awesome eye candy. But it's so bright, with so little in the way of shadow, it just looks wrong to my eyes. It's a style choice, not "wrong" or "bad" specifically, just not one that immediately appeals fully to my own taste in eye candy.

8. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The New Yorker has a great 12-page article on James Cameron as well as Avatar online. Some great Cameron quotes in there (though WARNING: language!). Also even comments on the reaction to the trailer, etc.

Also, this friday the final Avatar trailer, clocking in at 3.5 minutes, will hit theaters and be online on the 29th.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Watched a bootleg online, will hopefully be able to catch it in theaters tommorrow. Pretty solid trailer. Can't judge the CGI due to the bootleg quality, but there are some pretty great scenes in it. The film definitely has a "going native" element to it, but I don't think people will notice much will the rest of the awesome going on.

Funny enough, before I loaded the bootleg, I was thinking back to the teaser trailer and how it only cited Titanic to Cameron's credit and how Avatar's trailer should really pull out the trailer heavy guns and list off Cameron's filmography highlights, as that'd be incredibly awesome, if only from a historical trailer perspective (kind of like how Willow's trailer is the only trailer in history to use the phrase "From the Creator of Star Wars").

And, lo and behold- the trailer cites T1, Aliens, T2, True Lies & Titanic. :D :cool:

(sadly, no Abyss love :( - a shame, because I think that'd be the closest analog )

10. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009
    The CGI is innovative enough, which means that either the 'critics' are going
    to laud this film as a cinematic achievement, or they're going to trample each
    other into the dust as the race to tear this picture down.

11. Darth_Hydra

Darth_Hydra Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 14, 2001
    Saw the new trailer in front of Saw VI Friday. It looks a lot better than now IMO than the teaser. Also, this was definitely more action oriented. If this version had been released first I think there wouldn't have as much of a fuss as there was. I'm still getting used to the Na'vi's looks. Just hope the final product is entertaining throughout, especially if it's true about the approximate 3 hour running time.

12. JediXManSerenaKenobi

JediXManSerenaKenobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 27, 2007
    I saw the new extended trailer a few days ago. It looks really good, I think. Can't wait to see it.

13. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I saw the trailer for Avatar when I went to see A Christmas Carol. This may well be up there with Terminator and Titanic as one of the highlights of Cameron's career. I was extremely impressed.

14. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    From the commercials, I'd say it looks stupid. Seems like a movie made for all those people at places like deviantart who're into that 'anthro' stuff. I think I'll pass.

15. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    From the trailer I saw before Ninja Assassin... this thing looks pretty cool and interesting.

16. XCell

XCell Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 7, 2004
    (Shrug) Maybe it will be, who knows.

17. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I've starting to get excited about it- lines like "...you're on Pandora" and "...they are very hard to kill." are sticking in my head now. I mean, I was looking forward to it based on Cameron alone, but now that it's approaching, I'm actually getting excited about it. Plus we're starting to get some new shots in TV spots that are pretty cool (the "got movement" one) now that they're starting to finish up the FX for the film.

18. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    Vatican Astronomer: "The existence of aliens does not conflict with our faith because we cannot put limits on the creative freedom of God."

Stephen Colbert: "Hey! If I wanted a God who had complete creative freedom, I'd worship James Cameron."

[face_laugh]

19. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    As speculated / predicted, I thought the 'human body' of Jake would be used as a plot point, of him being put in danger due to his vulnerability.

20. Raven

Raven Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 5, 1998
    That part seemed pretty obvious to me. The question is, do we get an ending where he's permanently in his Avatar body (human body is dead) or permanently in his human body (sacrifices his Avatar body). I can't really see an ending where he can swap as needed.

21. Kol_Skywalker

Kol_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 9, 2006
    Jake's consciousness is transferred permanently into the Na'vi body at the end of the movie.

Guess this is not a spoiler now since the movie is officially released, well, it is here in Australia. Saw it yesterday Australian time.

Unfortunately, didn't see it in 3d, only the 2d version. I wear glasses, so didn't plan it in time to get contact lenses, so I could wear the 3d glasses.

I guess that this demographic (glasses wearing people) miss out on the 3d version, unless they have contact lenses?

22. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    Are you ****ing kidding me? That's not a spoiler?

Thanks for that. Really.

....God, **** my life.

23. anakinandpadmedoomed

anakinandpadmedoomed Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 27, 2007
    I cant wait to see this movie.It looks great!

24. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    WATCH THE SPOILERS!!!!!

Be courteous and HTR any major spoilers like that, Kol!

I mean, seriously, how could you think that, i don't know, giving away the ending before it's released in most countries wouldn't qualify as a spoiler? :mad:

And Raven- you should know better. [face_not_talking]

In other news- Avatar has received a few Golden Globe nominations, including Best Picture - Drama, Best Director and Best Song.

25. Bacon164

Bacon164 Chosen One star 8

Mar 22, 2005
    In other news, the iPhone game is fun. :)

:) :) :)