main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Jedi / Light Side Jedi Boot Spats

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by MasterYe, Aug 2, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MasterYe

MasterYe Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 30, 2006
    hey guys, can anyone show me pix of their customized spats for jedi boots? i bought some Chippewa boots but i feel like they need the spats. so i think im gonna make some spats of my own.

2. Jedi-Loreen

Jedi-Loreen Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 2, 2002
    I just made a pair for my own Jedi boots, before I went to San Diego Comic-Con. I'll try to get some pics taken and put up soon. Mine cover the whole front half of my boot.

3. MasterYe

Jul 30, 2006
    greeat! that would be nice if you can post some pics up. im just thinking of doing simple spats similar to how urs covered the whole front half. did you do yours w/ spare leather pieces?

4. MomMaster

MomMaster Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 4, 2006
    I made vinyl ones (with acrylic paint shading) for Anakin that fit over the boot and velcro shut. We may glue some on some day. I did all the stitching on my sewing machine.
    I can send you pics through e-mail if you want.

5. MasterYe

Jul 30, 2006
    yeah i was thinking of velcro-ing the spats onto the boot itself. since i dont have that many resources on leathering. yeah i'd love to see pix. ill PM you with my email.

6. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Yeah, scraps left over from the whole side of leather that I went through for a big group holster project. [face_hypnotized]

7. MasterYe

Jul 30, 2006
    damn its gonna be a mission trying to do some anakin boot spats. i think ill try it though. btw does anyone know where they might make and sell just the anakin boot spat/shin guard? or is anyone willing to make it and sell it to me? haha

8. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I'm working on a set, there will be alot of stitching involved...not sure about how to attach to the boot....I am also thinking Velcro?

9. MasterYe

Jul 30, 2006
    yeah velcro but w/ some sort of super glue on the back for the adhesive. hey actually where did you get ur leather pieces to make the set?

10. MomMaster

Apr 4, 2006
    I made these out of vinyl about a year ago. We needed something quickly to wear over shoes. Now that we have basic brown boots, I may do them over but here's some pics.

[image=http://s95.photobucket.com/albums/l154/SingerSewer/]

11. cyodarun

cyodarun Retired RMFF CR star 4

Apr 23, 2002
    I am using stone oiled leather, it is way flexible and lovely to work with. I get mine at the local Tandy, it is a bit pricey, but way worth it... It is also waterproof. My plan is to use a 4 prong punch and stitching awl to finish. Will not get to work much this weekend unfortunatly, these projects always go slower than expected.

12. MasterYe

Jul 30, 2006
    omg MomMaster! you must sell them to me!!!! or at least tell me how you made them? lolz

13. MomMaster

Apr 4, 2006
    I didn't know these are what you were talking about. Like I said we made these a year ago. I would be happy to make you some! I want to at least make a new proto type first.
    I made Obi-Wans too. I'll have to take more pics. (Photobucket is brand new to me!)

14. MasterYe

Jul 30, 2006
    would you please!? that would be grrrrrrrrreat!!! would you please let me know when you finish the prototype? or how long do you estimate it will take?

15. Queen-of-Naboo

Queen-of-Naboo Jedi Master star 1

Jul 21, 2006
    Hey MomMaster: I couldn't see your link. It didn't work for me. But I'm also looking to buy some Anakin spats. Only mine are for a girl instead of guy's. I'd obviously be willing to pay if your willing to sell.

thanx
    Tally

16. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    You could just copy and paste the link that's what I did, since the image didn't post right, because it's for the album.

But I'll try it because that link was incomplete for a single photo.

[image=http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l154/SingerSewer/Pict0344.jpg]

I don't know if that's the photo they wanted to diplay, there are several in that album.

17. Arsinoe

Arsinoe Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 24, 1999
    Guys, you might want to read the forum rules...

http://boards.theforce.net/costuming_and_props/b10019/18114736/p1/?22

specifically the part on no soliciting.

Keep all that stuff to pms or else SisterSola will be forced to close this thread and that would be a shame since we could turn this into a nice spat tutorial thread. ;)

18. Jedi_Ranger_007

Jedi_Ranger_007 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 15, 2004
    I made these a few months ago. Made of leather, steel rivets, and polished brass side-release buckles.

[image=http://members.shaw.ca/Jedi.Ranger/SW_Gear/IMG_0549_small_cropped.jpg]
    [image=http://members.shaw.ca/Jedi.Ranger/SW_Gear/IMG_0550_small_cropped.jpg]

19. MomMaster

Apr 4, 2006
    PMs for now on!

Thanks for showing that pic of my son's messy room [face_laugh]

Actually, there's not much in my photo buck. album. There's a better picture of the spat though. hopfully, I learn how to post it :)

20. MomMaster

Apr 4, 2006
    Jedi Ranger, they look great!

I did it!...I figured out how to post a picture!

[image=http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l154/SingerSewer/Pict0345.jpg]

These were made quick for Halloween. I'm going to make them again.
    It's a fun challenge to make these or have someone you know make them, as oppose to ordering Anakin boots for $400. It's all part of costume and prop "duplicating"!
    I happen to be a seamstress so it's probably more fun for me than someone who needs a costume who doesn't sew.

21. MasterYe

Jul 30, 2006
    i agree! it may be very fun to make them! i guess im just a bit confused as to use which material and what not :( thats when i turn to you MomMaster! haha

22. MomMaster

Apr 4, 2006
    Here is what I would use if you just want the fronts and not something that wraps around.
    You can use the straps with velcro to go around your leg. It would just be the front panel. The wrap around is good if you just have shoes to wear and not boots. With this Anakin, I used stitching to look like the leather was pieced (after much studying of his boots to figure out the spacing and the strap widths.) The straps are sewn on separately.

[image=http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l154/SingerSewer/Boot%20Spats/Pict0347.jpg]

[image=http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l154/SingerSewer/Boot%20Spats/Pict0346-1.jpg]

23. MasterYe

Jul 30, 2006
    that method you used seems very easy MomMaster. i have another question. what kind of material did you use for the spats/shin guards? and do you remember where you bought them from?

24. MorgonKEN-BUR

MorgonKEN-BUR Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 23, 2005
    hey mom master those are pretty good spats. But just for technically sake, the spats are made with 6 strip sewn together. If i remember each strip is 6.25 inch wide and when sewn together the strips make a 1/8 inch seem, so there is a ridge somewhat on them, its not completely flat like many boots for sale do it. The ridge is minimal but there. Its really not too hard to do either. Also for anakins boots, there is a strip running down the back of the boot, and 3 ridges on the heal also.

also i would cut the toe section back some, it covers the boot too much. Here is a real shot of the boot from c3.

[image=http://petridish.net/pics/19502/md-a6.jpg]

otherwise good job.

25. Jedi-Loreen

Dec 2, 2002
    Strips 6.25 inches wide? I think you got that wrong, that couldn't possibly be right, that would fit around your waist, with 6 strips that wide.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.