main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Art Archive JEDI MASTER ART (updated 5/16)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by THEFORCE16, Nov 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. THEFORCE16

THEFORCE16 Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 15, 2004
  2. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Just an FYI - I am having problems with this thread and
    I think it may be related to either the number or size of the images in it. I am on AOL dialup and when I try to look at the first 20 posts it kills my session consistently. I've posted a query about the problem in Mod Squad to see if any one has any ideas, but could you post links to the images instead of the images themselves to make it a bit easier on those of us with dialup? Thanks..

3. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Once again - WOW!

Those graphite ones of Yoda are awesome. Very nice shading and the details are amazing. I also love your colored pencil work in the one with Gandalf. Once again, you really have a knack for details. :)

And I don't quite understand why you would fold up the one of Anakin - that's awesome. Then again, they say we're our own worst critic. ;)

4. THEFORCE16

Nov 15, 2004
    Ok, I went back and changed all those pics to links. Whew. I remember what it was like to be on dial-up. Hope it works for you now, LAJ_FETT.

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    Hey, that's a lot better, THEFORCE16. I think it had to be the size of the download because I haven't had the problem in any of the other threads here so far.
    Thanks!

6. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    Some amazing work there. You have really mastered Yoda's wrinkles and the complexity of his face.

-Seldon

7. jacemathem

jacemathem Jedi Master star 5

Oct 3, 2003
    Oh wow! Your sketchings are so REALISTIC! You're one of the most talented artists on this forum. Keep it up. =D=

8. THEFORCE16

Nov 15, 2004
  9. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    Woah. That looks great. You have some real talent.

10. HanSolo29

HanSolo29 RPF/SWC/Fan Art Manager & Bill Pullman Connoisseur star 7 Staff Member Manager

Apr 13, 2001
    Looks great so far! Just keep at it. I'm sure it'll turn out just fine. :)

11. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Obi-Dawn Kenobi Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 27, 2000
    I think it looks amazing. :)
    What about it is giving you trouble?

12. THEFORCE16

Nov 15, 2004
    It's the same old problem. I'm cursed to see nothing but flaws. I can enjoy the heck out of other people's work, but my own stuff really bothers me. Especially when it tries to borrow money or wrecks my car. Does your artwork do that or is it just me? Maybe I just look like a pushover. Or a lunatic. It's definitely one of those.

13. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I'm cursed to see nothing but flaws.

I am so a part of that club too. We should have a secret handshake or something. :p

My artwork has never wrecked a car, but it has angered me enough to want to wreck my car. tee-hee....j/k

But, you know, I think it's just an artistic trait. When the flaws in my work become all I can see, I think back to my favortie painter, Michelangelo, and remember how he felt about his paintings on the Sistine Chapel ceiling. What is today considered as his painting 'masterpiece' is what he considerd to be horrid. I even have the following quote of his that talks about how he felt about his Sistine Chapel paintings written on a piece of paper and pinned to my wall:

...Try
    To succour my dead pictures and my fame;
    Since foul I fare and painting is my shame.

-Michelangelo

If even he thought his work was bad, when it clearly was not, then maybe our perspective on our own work can be skewed too. You know?

In all seriousness, your talent is undeniable. Take pride in the fact that other people enjoy it. ;)

14. yodas_clone

yodas_clone Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2003
    wow! the first gandalf pic is amazing! and all the yoda pics are really cool! great job, great job =D=

15. THEFORCE16

Nov 15, 2004
    I'ts so obvious why you're the manager of this forum, Dawn. Your insight and support are beyond mere words like astounding or amazing. Your words have meant a great deal to me. People say things like that all the time, but I do mean it. To everyone who has leant criticism or kindness I want to say thank you. It's good to be noticed by like-minded people.

16. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    Just trying to be supportive. ;)
    Thanks for the kind words, but I'm not a manager anymore...long story. :p

And, yeah, it's always nice to be recognized by like minded people. That's one of the reasons I enjoy this forum so much.

Hope your Tolkein portrait is behaving.

17. THEFORCE16

Nov 15, 2004
    I finished the portrait from hell. I'm calling it finished because I dont want to look at it anymore. If it's in a drawer, under a lot of stuff, it must be finished, right? That seems to be where a lot of my 'finished' art goes. I find that if I walk away from them for eight or nine years they eventually start to look good to me. Then I wonder who did them. Manager or no, you are a valuable resource to this forum and specifically to me, Dawn. You're every bit the artist, and I always enjoy your posts.

18. Obi-Dawn Kenobi

Jan 27, 2000
    I find that if I walk away from them for eight or nine years they eventually start to look good to me. Then I wonder who did them.

I've done that too! [face_laugh]
    I look back on stuff I did in college and wonder if it was really me who pulled that stuff off. It's a crazy thing.
    Thanks for the nice words too. I appreciate them. :)

I think your Tolkein portrait deserves to be out in the light though. It's totally display worthy.

19. ShrunkenJedi

ShrunkenJedi Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 26, 2003
    Nice work, truly. Very realistic. The Yoda and the Tolkien portrait are awesome :cool:

20. THEFORCE16

Nov 15, 2004
    This is my latest..thinking of doing a Darth of some sort next.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v470/mikegipson/fett1.jpg]

21. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Now that's real nice, THEFORCE16. It has this Fett fan's seal of approval! :D

22. hear+soul

hear+soul Jedi Master star 6

Nov 5, 2004
    flawless, man. you got this one's too.

23. soitscometothis

soitscometothis Chosen One star 6

Jul 11, 2003
    Beautiful work. Did you use a range of pencils or just stick to one (eg. a 6b)?

24. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    That was amazing. Your Boba Fett is truly perfection. It looked like it was concept art published in a book, it was that good.

-Seldon

25. THEFORCE16

Nov 15, 2004
    Thanks everyone. SOITSCOMETOTHIS: I used just one pencil on this. Im not sure what hardness it is, but its an Excelsior black 2235 from the reliance pencil co. A friend of mine gave me a bunch of these a long time ago and I just started using them recently. The range of values you can get out of these things is astonishing. I used to use a mechanical drafting pencil with an f lead but its values were sorely limited. I hate changing leads all the time so I experimented with everything I had until something worked. Oh, and I'm drawing on bristol board and it takes the lead better than ordinary paper I find. Although those B&W yodas I did were both on crappy typing paper.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.