main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Jedi Snapshots *New story 15/06/06* 'These Boots Were Made For Walking'

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Jemmiah, Mar 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Healer_Leona

Healer_Leona Squirrel Wrangler of Fun & Games star 9 Staff Member Manager

Jul 7, 2000
    Dex, oh Dex. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

LOved that in the midst of hanging injured in a tree Mace did realize Dex was his friend... thoug that last line of his is truly hilarious!

Brilliant Jem, just brilliant!

2. mouse2

mouse2 Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 29, 1999
    "I wash my hands of the whole affair. I'm not awake, I never heard you and I have no idea what you are doing. I deny everything."

I wonder how many years Qui-Gon has been saying that... :p

Awwww! Mace admitted that Dexy was his friend! Miracles do happen. As for Dexy being caught by the reptalons, I'm not worried he is Corellian after all. With his luck (or Force before you get all Yoda-like on me) he'll end up being commemorated on a coin face for being able to attract the sacred lizard things. [face_whistling]

3. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000

I could so picture them in the cabin at night!

Very funny, but are we going to find out what happened to Dex? My guess would be that the others heard the PA system and thought there was an attack so come back and save them!

4. Jemmiah

Jemmiah Jedi Master star 5

Mar 5, 2000
    Night Must Fall
    By Jemmiah

This one was written as a get-out clause, and hopefully it just about works. The Jem Chrons started over 5 years ago back in the days when we had no idea who Dooku was or his relationship to Qui-Gon. It was, in the early days of pre-TPM fan fic, the accepted wisdom that Yoda was Qui's master, something I just went with at the time. Of course now we know the truth, so maybe this will go some way towards digging myself out of a very large plot hole! :D

It seemed impossible to Qui-Gon - utterly unthinkable - that the one, steadfast rock to which he had clung for so long might soon be snatched from his grasp.

If there was a constant in the galaxy then that person was Yoda. For hundreds of years the elderly Jedi master had taught younglings and padawans alike, passing on his knowledge and special brand of wisdom and insight to those who sought it. The honour of being selected to be his padawan was immense, and at first Qui-Gon had found it to be an incredible burden: always comparing himself to the illustrious names who had gone before him over the centuries. Now, on reflection, he realised that this was a pressure he had unnecessarily placed upon himself. Yoda did not seek to compare, or find fault, merely content to nurture the particular talent in his charge the best way he could.

And now he was sick. Dying, perhaps.

Qui-Gon felt his stomach lurch to his throat the same way it might have in a falling lift-shaft. He had spent the whole morning at the infirmary by his old master's bedside, telling himself repeatedly that Yoda would not die?[i]could[/i] not die. That come what may, [i]he[/i] wouldn't allow it to happen. And yet Qui-Gon knew that if the force deigned his master's death there was nothing he could do to stop it.

If the worst happened he would accept it. But oh, how his heart would break?

He looked so frail, lying there upon the bed with his head resting against an over-large pillow: so?old. When had that happened, Qui-Gon wondered? Why had he never noticed it before? Certainly for as long as he could remember Yoda had used a stick to aid his mobility but this latest development had come as a shock to Qui-Gon. He had always taken for granted the fact that Jedi like Yoda would go on forever, so long had they been an integral part of the temple.

[i]Don't die, master.[/i] Qui-Gon willed silently as Yoda gave the smallest of sighs, the tips of his green ears twitching as he did so. [i]Not yet. I need you?I do not know what I would do without you to guide my steps.[/i]

"Trust in the will of the force, I do, young Qui-Gon." Yoda murmured beneath his breath. "Worry not over me."

Qui-Gon blinked slowly, wondering if he had somehow imagined hearing his master's voice. It had been a mere thread - a whisper - in response to his own silent prayer, but he [i]had[/i] heard it?hadn't he?

"Trust your own feelings you should." Yoda opened his left eye a tiny fraction, the skin around it pale and lined, reminding Qui-Gon of an old walnut. "Speak I did, padawan. Alive I am. Rid of me yet, you are not!"

Jinn's shoulders - tensed for what had seemed a lifetime - dropped in relief.

"I would never wish to be rid of you, master." Qui-Gon's voice cracked fractionally despite his best efforts to control his emotions. "You are a part of me?like my own heart."

Yoda's eyelid opened further still, the pupil fixing itself rigidly upon Qui-Gon. The intense scrutiny made the young man feel inexplicably uncomfortable in a way he never had before. He had likened Yoda to his own heart, and whilst the answer had seemed to please the wizened old master Qui-Gon could sense his words had brought a deal of discomfort, too.

"Respect I have for you, padawan. And love also." Yoda admitted after an uneasy silence had developed between them. "But allow yourself to get too attached you should not. Guard against this you should, and accept the will of the force. If die I should, as one day I must, how would you feel, hmmm?"

"Distraught, master!" Qui-Go

5. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Aha! Finally, an answer on that matter! I was wondering... Very sweet and appropriate.

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    AWWWWWWWWW!!! *huggles Yoda and Qui*

Very nicely done, Jem!

7. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    Wow! Just beautiful Jem!

But this: He withdrew his tiny, gnarled fingers - knotted like the bark of a crooked tree

Amazing imagery! Even if you hadn't seen the movies (okay, everyone stop laughing now) you can picture exactly what Yoda looked like.

8. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Really, Lucas should check with us fan fic writers before he throws in characters we weren't expecting! :D

Nicely done! =D=

9. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    I'd agee with VaderLVR, for more rhan just the reason she listed. He could have used fanfic help for his dialog and consistency errors as well. :D :D

Oh, that was more than perfect Jem. It can explain so very much. Like why Obi-Wan had never heard of Dooku and such.

Bravo!!! =D= =D=

10. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    TITLE: True Mastery
    CHARACTERS: ANA, LISAAR
    TIMEFRAME: 12 years pre-TPM
    Summary: Some situations call for drastic measures.
    A lot of people said that Ana had a death wish.

This was mostly an impression fostered by the fact that nearly all of the Jedi who knew her had been shocked when she survived the ten years that it took her to obtain a Master. Even then, the aforementioned Master was her father and it was common theory that he had been bribed by the other potential Masters to get her out of the queue.

After all, it seemed improbable that any Master would like a girl who rappelled off the Council tower in her free time or who practiced her balancing on the Senate flagpole. Such feats were unfortunately prone to happen around any group of pre-teens who felt compelled to do something impressive with their 'talents.'

Even if it was a talent for getting into trouble.

Since she lost her Master, however, the death wish of being a daredevil had turned into somethat was more fitting to the term.

She was hardly the oldest of the potential Padawans, but the others had already received their assignments to Bandomeer or other AgriCorps worlds. She was left fighting every suggestion that she accept her place outside of the Jedi Temple.

Some had already passed judgment on her, since the ruthless demands that she had imposed on herself as a swordsman and athlete bordered on actions spawned of the Dark Side, but others seemed to be curious as to whether she could survive her attempt to get a Master.

To make matters worse, Ana wasn't sure herself.
    She hated crying. It was messy, ugly and made her sound like a ronto in heat. It made adults scared of her and children make fun of her.

At midnight, however, she was going to turn thirteen and if she didn't have a Master at that point, the Council had assured her that she would be receiving her reassignment to the Agricorps.

To make matters worse, she had only two hours left and, since the Temple Games were for Masters and Padawans only, Crechemaster Khut had assigned her to mind the younglings for the night.

THey probably wanted her to leave the Temple feeling that she'd done something to contribute, but instead Ana had found herself watching the younglings running amok with a kind of gloomy indifference. After they realized that she wouldn't try and stop them and didn't seem to care, it lost its appeal, so she had grudgingly put in a holo of Nigel Nerf and settled them all in for a long, mind-numbing night.

She hadn't bothered to cry until they were all tucked into bed with only the occasional complaint or request for a glass of water.

I'll have to remember that moping them to death is an effective tool next time, she had thought mused in the five seconds before she remembered there wouldn't be a next time.

"You must be special," a voice behind her said. "You actually managed to get the squidlings to fall asleep."

"I bored them to death," Ana mumbled. 'I don't think there's anything special about that."

The man's voice continued, but he still didn't come into view. "I'm looking for my Padawan."

"Only Initiates and farm fodder here," Ana countered. "You might try the training halls."

Finally, he came around the chair so she could see him, a tall, dark-skinned man that she'd seen only in passing and at training inspections.

"I think you misunderstand me," he said gently. "I'm looking for my Padawan and I was hoping you were her."

That inspired something along the lines of a complete breakdown, which, of course alarmed him.

"I didn't mean to offend you," he protested. "I just..."

"I don't even know your name," Ana hiccoughed, "but you're the only one who still wants me here."

"That's not true," the man insisted, "but I'd say that's a good reason for you to accept my offer."

She attempted a watery smile for the first time that night. "Agreed."

11. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Oh, wow...

How did I miss this??? Poor Ana, going through that process...do you know, it's been oft talked about but I think you are one of the few to tackle the subject of being shipped off to agricultural worlds on turning thirteen! But it turned out okay in the end - thank goodness! I wonder how many of her contemporaries were never picked to be Jedi. There's a sad thought!

Here's my own response to Ish's recent challenge on the Oldbie's thread.

TITLE: When Young, I was
    AUTHOR: Jemmiah
    SET: 20 years before TPM
    DESCRIPTION: A master and an initiate discuss what life was like in 'the good old days'...

"When young I was," the sanguine, almost sleepy voice relayed to the silent young initiate, who hung reverently on his every word, "Know my place I did. Respect for my elders and betters I showed, always bowing my head in deference of their wisdom. Learn from them, I did!"

The small figure, dressed in his traditional Jedi robes, shuffled slowly on his way. The human initiate beside him stood taller than he for all that he was a mere five years of age, instinctively hanging back a pace as a good Jedi should when in the company of such an esteemed individual.

Tap, tap, tap?the master's walking stick connected authoritatively against the ground with each hobbling step.

"When young I was, vast the galaxy seemed!" His eyes sparkled in fond remembrance. "So much to learn and absorb. And when older I became, greater the mysteries of the universe grew. As a youngling, eat when I was told I would. Sleep when the crèche masters instructed, I did. Learn my lessons with my master, as instructed?there was no time for play."

"None?" The youngling's brow furrowed in consternation. "Not ever?"

"A Jedi should have a most serious mind!" The master cautioned the initiate, although the mischievous light remained in his eyes. "Take delight in learning we did. Few we were in those days, before the temple grew in size and stature. Unlike myself, who did not." He tittered at his own joke.

"Did you not learn how to use a sabre?" Asked the initiate, still wearing his puzzled frown.

"When young I was, work hard we did. Hours of sparring and practising in the training halls, and honing our skills to perfection we endured. Then meditate for hours and hours on our knees we did, getting up only when allow us our masters would! Learn to harness the force we did, and learn its secrets." Leaning against his stick the wizened green master placed his hand affectionately on the boy's shoulder. "Still learning am I! Still an apprentice to the force after all these years."

"But you are old, aren't you master?" Wondered the youngling. "How can you still be learning?"

"Learn all there is to know we never will." Sighed the master. "More than a lifetime that would take. Always changing is the galaxy, bowing to the will of the force. There is no span long enough that would allow us to comprehend its wonders."

"If we were immortal we might." The boy answered with a solemnity that made the senior Jedi chuckle once more.

"Seek that we do not." He replied. "Instruments of the force are we."

The youngster scratched at his crop of thick red-brown hair. "Did you never get to do anything for yourself? Didn't you ever have any dreams or ambitions?" He blinked two innocent blue eyes at the master. "Never at all?"

"When young I was," recollected the stooped figure, "Dream of being invited to the council I did! To serve the force - and the Jedi. And now I am old and weary, serve it still I do. Train the younglings to be dedicated and devoted I do; to concentrate their minds and develop their special talents for their own greater good, and that of the galaxy."

"Didn't you want to travel the galaxy?" The boy asked breathlessly, his own hopes clearly visible in his eager expression. "Didn't you want to ride swoops and fight monsters? Didn't you dream of seeing things you had never seen before? Of doing things you had never done? Didn't you want to be a hero and rescue princesses?"

"Serious is the life of

12. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, I can totally see Yoda doing the banister slide.

13. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Dogs Dinner
    By Jemmiah

(Okay, this one was inspired somewhat by the Red Dwarf episode 'Marooned' - in that Obi-Wan does accidentally what Dave Lister did on purpose, not saying any more than that!)

So. The wanderer had returned. Again.

Jemmiah didn't know whether to be pleased or otherwise. Of course she was delighted that Obi-Wan was back on Coruscant safe and sound, save for a bacta pad that nestled around his wrist and a supporting sling to hold the wretched device in place, but considering the young padawan's track record Jemmy thought that getting off lightly. Imagining what life would be like without him was...unbearable. Intolerable.

In truth Obi-Wan stirred so many different feelings in the Corellian that she didn't know whether to keep him at arms length or embrace him with such passion that he would never want to leave her side again. While he got on with his Jedi life, obligingly following Qui-Gon into danger, disaster and force knew what other kinds of horribleness, Jemmiah had been left with only Zebedee for company. And the only reason she had him back was because her Uncle Kelik had insisted she take him as a guard dog whilst she was on Coruscant.

The fact that Zebedee was more likely to lick any intruders to death rather than sever their limbs had not matter one tiny iota. Of course Kelik's offer was completely altruistic and had nothing to do with keeping the monster-mutt away from his dwarf-sized Muja trees?

No, Jemmiah reflected thoughtfully, it wasn't that she didn't want Obi-Wan back: it was more that she didn't want Obi-Wan back right then and there, taking her for granted as he always did. They'd not seen each other for over a month and she had long accepted this as part of the Jedi way of life. So that was why when he turned up in his freshly laundered, crisp cream tunic and newly shaven padawan cut - with only his wicked, insolent smile to bestow by way of a gift - Jemmy found herself wanting to shake him by the shoulders until his teeth rattled.

He was after something. Knowing Obi-Wan the way she did there were only two possibilities: rubbing healing gel on his injuries whilst discussing how incredibly brave he had been or?well. A month was a very long time for a healthy young man to be taking cold showers and drinking calming herbal teas. Her money was on option two.

At least she had her fingers crossed?

Obi-Wan had sat down on Jemmiah's brown leather couch, trying to avoid the puddle of dog drool that had been flung far and wide across the room. Balefully the large cannoid eyed him from the exceeding large basket to which he had been banished on Obi-Wan's arrival. He scratched in doleful fashion at a tufted grey ear, sending clouds of wiry hair in the padawan's direction. Too bad if he was sulking, Kenobi thought as he smiled at the creature's antics. If it came down to a choice between the two of them he knew who would win.

"Tough luck, my canine friend." Obi-Wan said in a rather smug voice, crossing one booted heel over his other leg. "Jemmy has her priorities sorted out."

"What was that?" Jemmiah frowned, walking over to the poor beleaguered dog and offering it a kiss on the top of its head.

Obi-Wan sighed. "Nothing, apparently. I just thought I would come round here and see how you were getting on. After all, it's been over a month?"

"Has it really?" Her lips thinned into a wry smile.

"And I thought it would be nice to catch up with your news, that's all." He answered with a faintly embarrassed shrug of his unbandaged shoulder. "You know how important you are to me?and to Qui-Gon, of course. That will never change no matter where we are or how long we are away for. I'm glad you have the dog for company?even if he does drool all day."

"He does not!" Jemmy covered Zebedee's ears with her hands lest Obi-Wan's words offend her precious pet.

"And his feet smell." The apprentice continued to list his rival's bad points with apparent relish.

"I think that's rich coming from the sock manufacturer's nightmare." Jemm

14. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Grrr, I need a quick kick whenever you post Jem.

When Young, I was : Love Yoda explaining back in the day to a very yong Obi-Wan. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Dogs Dinner : If I'd rememberd the title of the story I might have figured out what was going to happen. As it was, the fact Jem made Obi-Wan dog food came as a hysterical surprise. [face_laugh] [face_laugh] Too funny that it was quite good until he learned what it was. :D :D

15. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    *giggle* That does make a lot of sense. Glad to have Zebedee around! Obi-Wan certainly got what he deserved.

16. Calamity Jinn

Calamity Jinn Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2000
    Yes, you'd think Obi would have learned about putting food first by now!

Great story sis! :D

17. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    When Young, I Was: I love that Yoda took a ride down the bannister after talking to little Obi. So typical of the little troll! :p

Dogs Dinner: Obi you totally deserved that! Letting your stomach think for you, especially when you think of Jemmy's track record, is a dangerous thing. Act like a dog eat like one! [face_shame_on_you]

18. Tanith

Tanith Jedi Youngling star 1

Nov 13, 2003
    When young I was - how sweet is young Ben. So little and innocent, and wants to go off saving Princessess. Bet he regretted that sentiment when he was older!

Dogs Dinner - Snrk, I do know someone who did this. The marriage didn't last funnily enough. But at least it wasn't as bad as the Red Drawrf episode, Ben didn't have to eat a Pot Noodle ;)

19. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    Living Doll
    By Jemmiah

"So," Jemmy spun around on one heel, pirouetting so that the shimmering fabric of her lilac coloured dress swung against her legs, "what do you think of this one?"

Rela gave her friend a searching look, chewing on a long curl as she considered her opinion.

"Looks good." She nodded approvingly. "Just like the other eight you already showed me."

"But do you think the colour's okay?" Jemmy tried to peer over her shoulder at the plunging back. "Is it too revealing? Too cheap-looking?"

"It's a bit late to take 'em back to Corellia if you want a refund!" Rela gave a sharp snort of laughter, amused as always by her friend's paranoia. "Seriously, I don't get why you're so darned insecure about the way you look! If there's a more attractive person in a twenty mile radius I've yet to see them. And for the record, the colour is fine."

Jemmy allowed her hands to drop against her sides in defeat. Rela was such a good friend that she never knew if she was saying what she wanted to hear or because she genuinely meant it. Perhaps she should ask Spider? If she didn't like it she'd come right out and say that it looked like so many feet of Dinko guano?

On second thoughts the idea of asking Spider about dresses and feminine things was possibly not the best she'd ever had.

"I wasn't always pretty." Jemmy stuck her chin out defensively. "I used to be so hideous that people would cross the street to avoid me. Or hit me like I was some insect." She added with a shrug, her eyes darkening as if at some distant memory. "Truth is even when I look in the mirror I don't always see an attractive person looking back at me. I keep expecting to see myself as a child with those freaky eyes and pointy chin?"

"Other people seem to think you're attractive." Rela answered airily, staring with pretended insouciance at the ceiling. "Valorum for a start."

Jemmiah frowned. "Chancellor Valorum? What makes you mention him?"

"Oh," Rela scratched lazily behind one ear, "nothing much. Except the way he chased after you last year when were on Florizan."

"Nonsense. He was on vacation." Jemmy rolled her eyes, twisting a few more times before finally deciding once and for all that she liked the dress. "It was coincidence he was there. And I looked kriff-awful anyway after what happened on Urior: he couldn't have had any ulterior motive, other than that he was Quiggy's friend who decided to keep an eye out for us both."

"Yeah," Snickered the redhead, wondering at the Corellian's untypical lack of intuition, "right. Of course that was it. Silly me."

Jemmy became slightly uneasy. "All the same, don't tell Obi-Wan. You know what he's like and frankly I can do without that kind of nonsense."

She began to parade up and down in front of the full-length dress mirror, admiring herself from every angle. She supposed it was safe to say she'd almost fully recovered from the events of Urior. Her figure was back, as curvy and as tantalising as ever. The brightness in her eyes had returned, and some of the pallor of her skin had begun to lessen as time had passed. Which was all for the good, because the one person she hoped to impress was taking her out that evening?

"I'll bet Scrubby liked the dress." Rela tittered unsubtly. "Got plans for the evening, has he?"

Jemmiah ignored the remark but grinned all the same. Spending any time with Obi-Wan was becoming increasingly difficult, to the extent that even Qui-Gon seemed apologetic for his near-continual absence. When one mission ended another invariably began, and it was left to Jemmy to snatch what time she could with her Jedi suitor in the few moments that existed for them both.

That said, he [i]had[/i] liked the dress?

"He stopped by to welcome me back." She sighed happily, playing with the chain of her necklace. "I would have thought old master grizzly would have put in appearance, but Ben said something about him coming down with some kind of bug. He spent the whole of the mission wheezing and spluttering."

"Then no doubt he'll

20. mouse2

Oct 29, 1999
    ROFLOL!! This certainly brightened my day!

Thanks Jem!!

21. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Oh! How mortifying! So funny!

22. Jemmiah

Mar 5, 2000
    These Boots Were Made For Walking
    By Jemmiah

There were many facets to Obi-Wan Kenobi's personality, as Qui-Gon was finding out. Intelligence, yes: there was that in abundance. A certain dry wit, to be sure, coupled with a devious and lively mind. Loyalty above all things. The one thing he hadn't banked upon, however, was vanity.

The master stood beside the display of long leather boots and shook his head in bewilderment as Obi-Wan paraded up and down in front of a full length dress mirror, posing from time to time to examine his chosen foot wear from various angles. Or - as Jemmiah would call it - strutting. Qui-Gon had never thought of Obi-Wan as particularly bothered with his appearance other than his curious need to drain the temple of every inch of its hot water supply first thing in the morning?not that Obi-Wan was ever unkempt or scruffy. Simply, this latest example of finding the right pair of 'swagger' boots revealed a side to his padawan that Qui-Gon didn't particularly care for or, alternatively, he'd not read Obi-Wan's personality well at all from the start?

"I like these." Obi-Wan admitted with a slight twinkle to his eyes. "I like these very much indeed." He placed his hands behind his back, pushing the folds of his Jedi robes behind him for good effect. "I think these boots are 'me', master."

"They very expensive. That much I do know, padawan." Qui-Gon quipped, wondering where this was leading. "You're not seriously thinking of purchasing them, are you?"

Obi-Wan looked down at his feet with a frown. "Why, what is the matter with them?"

The truth was that there was nothing wrong with them, and Qui-Gon knew it. Except that they were perhaps a touch too extravagant in terms of design?maybe a fraction flamboyant. The quality and workmanship were there to be certain: the finest Kruskan skin leather held together by the tiniest and strongest of stitching, Corellian-style in make and shape. And perhaps that was what bothered Qui-Gon so much: this unexpected urge his padawan had to dress like a pirate and parade through the temple seemed very much at odds with the quiet, diligent Obi-Wan he knew and respected.

"The matter isn't so much with these boots as to why you feel the need to purchase them." Jinn frowned as he tried to express his concern in so many words. "Why you are prepared to pay for these when the temple will issue you made-to-measure boots that will fit and last you years?"

Obi-Wan responded with a shrug. "The temple encourages originality and identity within acceptable parameters, master. You said so yourself. I am merely trying to assert my personality in the way that I dress. In all other respects I dress as you would expect any other padawan might. However, I wish to find my own style by choosing a pair of boots and a belt that reflect a little of my own characteristics."

At this Qui-Gon arched an eyebrow. Obi-Wan dressed safely, never with any need to wildly stay from the basic Jedi dress code. This was how the master had always seen his padawan: straight down the line and unerringly reliable. So what was he trying to say to him? That he had his quirks and hidden depths after all? Was it some kind of covert warning?

"A belt as well?" Sighed Qui-Gon, scratching thoughtfully at his beard. "Can you afford it?"

Obi-Wan didn't seem unduly bothered. "Not yet." He replied earnestly. "But I am assuredly working on the problem."

"Why don't I like the sound of that?"

A small, subtle smile twitched at Obi-Wan's lips as he sat down upon the nearby seat and removed a boot from his feet. Qui-Gon was at least pleased to see that the padawan had put new socks on that morning: usually they fell off his feet when the fibres rotted away to nothing, or so Jemmiah claimed. Of course he had no right to insist that Obi-Wan keep his credits for a rainy day, as he was his mentor not his financial assistant. Not that Jedi had such things?but still, it seemed like sheer folly to fritter away the few credits that he'd accrued over the years on mere frippery.

23. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    LOL, that so reminded me of a semantics discussion in one of my linguistics classes. We were talking about the sign on the campus grocer's door that said "no shoes, no service" and we reflected that someone, by that rule, could wear a pair of sandals on their hands and walk into the Creamery on 9th buck naked and still get served.

24. Healer_Leona

Jul 7, 2000
    Jemmiah, first off, pleae always feel free to PM me whenever you've posted a snapshot. No, on second thought, don't feel free, conisder it a must of most urgency! :D :D

Living Doll: OMG ,that is just absolutely hysterical!! Poor Leona, what is WQui-Gon going to think of our shy and reserved healer. ;) :p I don't see Jemmiah hurrying to comm and get it back before it's opened and misunderstandings ensue. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

These Boots Were Made For Walking : Awww, yes Obi-Wan is quite the smart one isn't he? LOL I do ownder it he tired them at all or knew what he was doing in wrangling his master into that bet?? ;) :p

Both were just wonderful Jem.

25. DarthIshtar

Mar 26, 2001
    Title: Dream a Little Dream
    Author: Darthishtar
    Timeframe: 14 years before TPM
    Characters: Ana, Yrin and Li
    Summary: Sometimes, a little wishful thinking can go a long way.
    "This is ridiculous," Ana asserted.

Li glowered at her over the incense. "Look," she said curtly, "just because you've practically been apprenticed doesn't mean the rest of us are so lucky."

"Yeah," Yrin said grouchily. "I'm surprised you weren't born with a Padawan braid."

Ana looked quickly away, rather hurt by their claims. "It's not that easy," she muttered.

"Why not?" Li demanded. "If I could be trained by my Dad, it would be great!"

"Yes," Ana snapped, "but if he asks me to be his Padawan, it'll be because Mom made him. Family honor and all that."

For a long moment, they were quiet, thinking about the possibility that they might be stuck with someone who had to take them.

"I think he'd want you," Ana said quietly. "Why wouldn't he?"

"Because I keep messing things up," Ana reasoned, hand rubbing at her nose as if she anticipated it starting to run, "and half of the time, it's my fault!"

"Yes, but the other half, you can blame it on us," Yrin countered.

That made her smile a little. "Can we get this over with?"

"Yes," Li said cheerfully, trying to change the mood. "Now, write down your wish on the flimsiplast and put it in the bucket."

They complied dutifully, then stood there, staring at it.

"It's not going to burn on its own," Yrin whispered.

"I know," Li said in a like tone, "but I don't want to do it."

"Why not?"

"Bad luck," she explained. "I'll never get a Master if it goes wrong."

He looked at her as if she was totally crazy. She stared back, daring him to disagree and a look at Ana confirmed that she had the same suspicion.

"Fine," he sighed. "I'll do it."

Ana passed over the lighter fluid and matches silently, her expression that of someone performing a religious ritual.

"I'm not sure how much to use," he confessed, pouring it on. "Do you think this is enough?"

"Maybe a little more," Li suggested. "We want all of it to burn up."

"It's just three pieces of flimsi," Ana argued. "Maybe we should stop."

Yrin shrugged and leaned over, striking the match and dropping it into the bucket.

And then he screamed.
    "Well," Ana sniffed, "it worked."

"I can't believe the first Master who thought to use the fire extinguisher wanted Yrin for his Padawan!" Li said breathlessly.

"Well, maybe he felt sorry for him," Ana suggested.

"He said that he's been watching him for a while now," Li countered. "Maybe they were linked already and he thought they'd get on..."

"Like a Padawan on fire?" Ana giggled.

They considered for a long moment, grinning.

"Maybe it'll work," Ana suggested.

"Maybe," Li agreed, "but if anyone has a 'burning desire' to take me as their Padawan, I'm running for my life!"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.