main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Speculation Jedi Temple and the Senate in Episode 7?

Discussion in 'Archive: Disney Era Films' started by rezpen, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Padme: From the Sith?

2. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Padme's a special case because Anakin would have told her about the Sith, and she died so who knows if she ever even told anybody. I'm sure Bail Organa and probably the rest of the leaders of the Rebellion knew too, maybe even everyone in the rebellion, but that still wouldn't make it common knowledge across the galaxy, especially when the Empire controls the information that the public receives as any good empire does.

3. DarkGingerJedi

DarkGingerJedi Chosen One star 6

Nov 21, 2012
    One of those Admiral guys in ANH: "Don't try to frighten us with your sorcerer's ways, Lord Vader. Your sad devotion to that ancient Jedi religion has not helped you conjure up the stolen data tapes, or given you enough clairvoyance to find the rebels' hidden fortress..."

Their contemporary viewpoint of Vader is that he is a Jedi. They think of him kind of pathetically, actually. There's no mention of the Sith. And why, deception. Why let the Sith take any blame, when you can just as easily let people's ignorance allow them to blame your most hated enemy - the Jedi.

Han is kind of the same way. Sees the Jedi as just an ancient lame religion. I mean, it's not till even after RotJ and Luke has SAVED him that he begins to see the value.

Echo-07 and LawJedi like this.
  4. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    It makes you think that there's more to Old Ben's lie to Luke. Perhaps Ben was just using the existing propaganda about Vader to save Luke the pain.

Echo-07 likes this.
  5. Mystery Roach

Mystery Roach Chosen One star 4

Mar 10, 2004
    Actually you inserted the word Jedi in between ancient and religion. I don't know if that was in the script or the book, but it wasn't in the movie. I don't know what most people thought Vader was, but I doubt the public at large knew he was a Sith, and nether did the Imperial officers because they probably wouldn't have provoked him if they did. On the other hand,why would the public assume Vader was a Jedi when the Jedi had been declared enemies of the Empire?

darklordoftech and DarthRelaxus like this.
  6. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I remember being a kid and seeing all these references in comics and ads and sci-fi magazines about "Darth Vader, Dark Lord of the Sith." And then you never hear anything about The Sith anywhere. My friends and I had all kinds of outlandish 10-year old kid ideas about wtf "Sith" were.

Count Yubnub likes this.
  7. Lando's Little Maneuver

Lando's Little Maneuver Jedi Padawan star 2

Nov 26, 2012
    I never got into the EU as a kid, so I never even heard the name Sith till TPM production started up.
    Even the video games back then would always refer to the bad dudes as Dark Jedi.

LawJedi likes this.
  8. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I just recall seeing that phrase in Starlog or in a comic or something in the 80s. My friend Tom kept hoping we'd find out what "Sith" were. And this was before ESB, I'm pretty sure, because we didn't know Vader was Luke's pop yet and I thought a Sith was a kind of "alien" creature/race.

9. Echo-07

Echo-07 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2012
    Great point on which i'll attempt to expound. Had Kenobi told Luke right from the start that Vader was actually his father, what would have happened? Luke would have been conflicted about the need to DEFEAT Vader. So to make sure that Luke maintains the "right path" in his hatred toward the Empire and Vader Obi-Wan allows himself to be cut down, knowing Luke is watching, knowing that becoming a martyr will make him "become more powerful than you can possibly imagine."

Arawn_Fenn likes this.
  10. Han Shot First

Han Shot First Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 29, 2012
    Look at Russia, after the fall of the Soviet Union, the rise of the oligarchs, grabbing financial power and the Russian mafia going after the rest!

11. mattman8907

mattman8907 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2012
    do you think everyone was like "who the heck did we get into bed with?" when ole Palpy boy declared the republic an empire? i mean how many of those senators were corrupted and if so was one of Leia's official acts when creating the new republic was to get rid of them?

12. THE PortmanLuvva

THE PortmanLuvva Jedi Master star 2

Oct 26, 2012
    DarkGingerJedi
    "Their contemporary viewpoint of Vader is that he is a Jedi. They think of him kind of pathetically, actually."

Yeh, the guys who haven't been strangled or killed by him without him even touching them!![face_laugh]

13. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Hey, Tarkin and Motti were pretty ballsy, considering that they were talking smack to a supervillain.

14. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    Darth must've been feeling pretty pissy by the end of ANH. First Tarkin makes fun of his religion and keeps him on a short leash. Then the Admirals tell him he's not even good at that old fancy-pants religion. Then, on that very same day, Old Obi-wan leads him on a force goose chase around the Deathstar where he taunts him and then disappears half way thru the fight in a puff of Force smoke magic. Clearly Palpy was holding out on some important Force Powers. Then the next day, some scrappy kid blows up said Deathstar and he's left wandering, "WTF?!?" (stands for: what the force).

darklordoftech and DarthBoba like this.
  15. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    So true. But... this sounds like the typical critique of a TCW episode. :D

16. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    this is what i think of when i think of Palpy finding about the death star blowing up.

]

17. DarkGingerJedi

Nov 21, 2012
    I haven't read any of the EU stuff. I don't even know what TCW stands for. I know some of the character names and vague plots. I've never been a fan of Dark Luke, or Palpy clones, etc.

I am reading Darth Plageaus now though just because I needed a break from my other books.

18. mattman8907

Nov 17, 2012
    TCW is The Clone Wars.

19. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    \
    The Clone Wars cartoon.

20. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Palpatine handled that for her when he dissolved the Senate in ANH.

21. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Even the Emperor can't battle the power of... INCUMBENCY!

Count Yubnub and DarthBoba like this.
  22. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    I'm assuming dissolving the Senate was less "go away" and more "die by blaster fire, Senate dogs!" :p

DarkGingerJedi and LawJedi like this.
  23. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Good point. But even a dead incumbent always has some preppy son or daughter that got sent to private school on Coruscant, and is just waiting to use the family name to get into politics. :rolleyes:

24. Count Yubnub

Count Yubnub Force Ghost star 5

Oct 1, 2012
    Interesting... that's actually an interpretation I haven't heard before, but it's not an incoherent one. Is the actual event ever described in the EU?

25. LawJedi

Jan 11, 2009
    Is the answer to that question ever "no"?

Count Yubnub likes this.