main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph JJ Abrams' Star Trek Into Darkness

Discussion in 'Community' started by Ulkesh2, Sep 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    Oh, I don't know if I'd give Star Trek credit for ever having really seriously bothering with explaining itself.

Two words: Heisenberg Compensators.

2. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Oh sure a lot of it is hogwash, but at least they tried to explain it. Every detail and line on all the ship designs (Federation at least) had a purpose and a function. Someone actually sat down and thought about it. Spock's ship looks like it was pulled straight from The Phantom Menace. I'd like to see them try and explain that one in the technical manual.

3. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    It didn't even look consistent with Federation technology... then again, the Narada didn't look like a Romulan ship, either.

And I think there's a difference between stuff not making sense in the real world ("Heisenberg compensators") and not making sense within the universe (usually apart from physics). Like design inconsistency other than the justifiable "we don't want to use tacky 1960's design."

4. Souderwan

Souderwan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jun 3, 2005
    True, Evan. I was actually more bothered by Spock's ship (it's design just didn't seem functional and was antithetical to Spock's personality) than anything else. Most other things you mention (bigger Enterprise, for example), I chalked up to the proverbial butterfly effect of the time change. But Spock's ship was ostensibly set in the same universe and timeline we're all familiar with. So there's just no excuse for it.

There was also no excuse for this.

5. Tholain

Tholain Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2011
    This is an alternate timeline, who says they have to stay there.

6. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Chicken/egg. Someone designed the models because they were aesthetically what they were looking for, and then Okuda or whoever retrofitted reasons to the various rhymes.

7. zacparis

zacparis VIP star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 1, 2003
    Yeah, that's pretty much it.

The designers outlined the basic shape and themes of the Enterprises, then they (or someone else) got out the bible to fill in all the necessary details. Like I said, it was all thought out, they didn't just slap tentacles and spindly bits on for the sake of it.

There's some great design comments around the E-D and the E-E out there, it's a really interesting process.

8. FlareStorm

FlareStorm Jedi Grand Master star 6

Nov 13, 2000
    Lore, comics, and the novelization all say that the Jellyfish was specifically designed to transport Red Matter, which the Vulcan Science Council was messing around with before the whole Romulan supernova incident.

Red Matter was in inherently dangerous, so you need spinning stuff for the containment procedure.

Also, I can only vaguely recall a couple of examples of pure Vulcan ship design. Maybe they just like circles like the Federation likes to make it's ships like a girl spread eagle.

9. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
  10. Magellan_the_Cat

Magellan_the_Cat Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 21, 2003
    Well, I think it has all the strengths and weaknesses of the movie.
    All flash eye-candy.
    Lots of shakey cam.
    Lots of bright-lights and dark backgrounds to cause eyestrain.
    And scenery that looks like it was copied from StarWars.

I would say, "meh". I certainly have no interest in playing the game.

11. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    Liam Neeson a Klingon? This is intresting but no I don't want him to play as a Klingon even if it is Kang. It's good to hear that the Klingons will be coming back now let's see if we get the war that should have happened in "Errand of Mercy" which would be epic!!!!!!!!!!!!

12. MasterDillon

MasterDillon Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 28, 2010
    An intresting fact is that J.J. Abrams took alot of ideas from Star Wars, and put it into the new Star Trek movie. He said that he was more of a fan then Star Trek which is ironic considering he directed the 09 film, and might be directing the 2012 flim.

13. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  14. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    I knew two of those things! And one of them was #9.

15. firesaber

firesaber Jedi Master star 4

Mar 5, 2006
    I don't believe for a minute that bit about Shatner not watching himself, but I found the rest of the list....fascinating ]-}

16. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    I thought it odd too but there are many actors like that. Harrison Ford claimed to have not seen any of his films at the time he was on Inside The Actors Studio.

17. Jedi-Anakin-Solo

Jedi-Anakin-Solo Force Ghost star 6

Dec 26, 2001
    It's an alternate timeline created by the Narada's interference. I doubt anything Nero did affected the Hirogen, so their history would remain unchanged (except for the chance Voyager won't get thrown into the Delta Quad, unless the timeline has a way of self-correcting ala LOST).

18. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    To each their own. I'm an old school Trek fan. For me most of the magic died with the travesty that was Enterprise (personal perception) and has only gotten worse since. (again, personal perception). I do wish Zach well with Spock. So glad he has Leonard's confidence and blessing regarding the passing of the torch. It was a pleasure to see them together at Grand Slam in 2008! :D

19. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    He has finally been confirmed as directing the next film, which might not arrive in 2012.

20. RX_Sith

RX_Sith Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 13, 2006
  21. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    A Klingon?

A rogue Starfleet captain?

Some TOS character like Harry Mudd?

Hopefully not Khan, this is a new universe, they need to forge their own destiny.

22. Chancellor_Ewok

Chancellor_Ewok Chosen One star 7

Nov 8, 2004
    I am guessing a Klingon. At one point he was going to play Darth Maul in Ep. I.

23. DaenaBenjen42

DaenaBenjen42 Jedi Grand Master star 5

May 15, 2005

There's also the fact that the Hirogen have a satellite network and not a rapid-transport network... It would be far more likely to hear from the Vadduar (or however one spells it) than it would the Hirogen. If, you know, they weren't all in cold sleep underground on a planet suffering a nuclear winter...

24. LandingGirl05

LandingGirl05 Jedi Master star 1

Dec 6, 2005
    [image=http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_8SlQIdQ0ehg/TSibFVPK1gI/AAAAAAAAG0o/xmkj64snJj4/s1600/quadrants.jpg]

25. DantheJedi

Aug 23, 2009
    I have the book that's from. It supposedly has some errors, but I don't mind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.