main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST JJ Abrams to direct Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Kuestmaster, Jan 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Obi-Wan21

Obi-Wan21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2002
    While I feel as though he is a safe, mostly reserved choice, he should do fine to get audiences comfortable with the initial film. I do hope he seriously only does one, and Disney returns to the original trilogy's setup, with a new director for each film. Hopefully we'll see an VIII by Neil Blomkamp. He has a passion and eye for sci-fi. And I think he could do as good, almost as good, as Irvin Kershner. No one could replace him, but I think Neil deserves the chance to really show off his director chops. He's a far superior director than Abrams, anyway. Sorry, but his films aren't exactly passionate and powerful as the original films are.

Krueger likes this.
  2. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    Yes, yes, so we've heard... Nothing is as powerful and passionate as the original films. Not childbirth or a star dying or a tsunami or the prequels...

LawJedi, KED12345, DarthBoba and 4 others like this.
  3. SaberTheMoment

SaberTheMoment Jedi Youngling

Jan 29, 2013
    Generally speaking though, prequel backlash will be diffused. I'm hoping coherent conversations about Lucas' film-making career will be more practical than they are now. You'll have to avoid talking about Abrams for a while, but the discussion surrounding Lucas' body of work has been rather severely dumbed down by a fear of accidentally complimenting the wrong movie.

4. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Childbirth is an incredible experience. I know, I have a daughter. But for science/fantasy films, where Star Wars is sort of isolated in that, there's really no fair comparisons, so it requires a unique amount of fun and lightheartedness. The prequels were just as good, if a little too clean, I like the dirtier OT. I just hope we get someone like Kershner, who was a wonderful director, and Abrams feels like Lucas, he'll play it safe for the first go.

5. A Chorus of Disapproval

A Chorus of Disapproval Head Admin & TV Screaming Service star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Aug 19, 2003
    I agree with everything. Including having a daughter.

6. Darth_Articulate

Darth_Articulate Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 1, 2012
    Exactly. I tried having my child stare at the sunset while playing John Williams in the background, but it kept moving. Lame.

7. EMPEROR_WINDU

EMPEROR_WINDU Force Ghost star 5

Nov 23, 2002

Nothing against you personally, but I've always hated when fans berate the prequels for being too clean. To me, that's what the time before the Empire was supposed to be like. I always connected Obi-Wan's line in ANH about lightsabers being from "a more civilized age" to correlate to the Republic being clean due to the lack of conflict.

Not to mention the OT is primarily focused around the scoundrels and outcasts like the beat up Falcon while the PT centers around senators and Jedi who obviously have the best the galaxy has to offer. Having a preference for the feel of the OT is great and a respectable position, I just get irked when fans complain that the PT didn't follow suit.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  8. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    I wasn't berating the prequels at all. I was simply stating my preference, while I completely understand the necessities for its sleek and clean visual cues, I like my ships clunky, I'm sure you can understand that. I love the prequels, and I respect Lucas' desire, and rightfully so, to cast the prequels in the distinct, unique light they desired. At the end of the day, though, we all have our favorites.

The prequels remind me of Jack Kirby's New Genesis in a way, from their design aesthetics, and that is a compliment.

9. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002
    I certainly can respect your having a preference for the feel of the OT and I didn't think you were berating the PT but I've come across that quite a few times in the past and just had a desire to get it off my chest. I'm hoping for a pretty good mix in the ST though since I think we're going to get our fair share of scoundrels and folks from the proverbial ivory tower.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  10. PrincessKenobi

PrincessKenobi Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 12, 2000
    Yeah I've always felt the same E_W. I always loved how in the PT everything was shiny and good, like there is no way anything can go wrong we're doing great. Then by the time we get to ANH it shows what toll the war had and how horrible things are under the Emperor. In the words from a favorite little show called Community "Things got dark man."

Darth Chiznuk and FRAGWAGON like this.
  11. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    As a kid, and certainly growing up the feeling has stuck with me, but the OT had such the underdog appeal with its misfit band of heroes, and that lead to its dirty, clunky feel. That love stuck with me. And I certainly believe that the world reflected its characters, and I absolutely loved that about those films. Walking into the prequels, you can see this is a different period, about different people. I've always loved how Lucas took that effort to revolve the world around its characters and their positions in life. It's truly wonderful and engaging, bringing the Saga together in a whole new light.

And I do hope that VII brings those two distinct worlds together in another unexpected direction, with an aesthetic that I can't even imagine. I'm looking forward to the surprises of it all.

I love the Star Wars saga as a whole though. All six films have a place in my heart.

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  12. EMPEROR_WINDU

Nov 23, 2002
    And I was too young to have a lot of those feelings for the OT as a kid. I was 14 when the PT started and wasn't all that into Star Wars even when TPM came out. I have come to really appreciate the differences between the two trilogies and it's a testament to GL that he didn't try to simply recreate the OT when he made the PT.

Hurry up and get here sequels, I'm getting anxious. Anyone here remember when there was a countdown on the boards for how many days were left until the premiere of ROTS? We need to bring something like that back!

13. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    Very true. It takes a bold creator to take something proven to work, and then risk it all for storytelling purposes. GL did a brilliant job and I applaud him for the risk. The heroic prequels are so incredible in comparison to the misfit originals. That takes risk to pull off appropriately.

14. Darth Claire

Darth Claire Force Ghost star 5

Dec 21, 2012
    I'm hoping that JJ breaths new life into the franchise while not strictly restricting himself to the original films. The last thing we need is a film that tries too hard to be a love-letter to the originals that it fails to be something new and fresh for this generation *kinda like what Superman Returns was. Too focused on honoring the classic Donnor flims that it failed to be modern*.

15. Krueger

Krueger Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2004
    I bet you anything that the biggest text in the title for Episode 7 will be the title of the film itself (like TESB or ROTJ), like the originals and unlike the prequels, which had the biggest text being the episode and number. Just little things like that will signal more of an overall influence from the OT.

16. Pro Scoundrel

Pro Scoundrel New Films Expert At Modding Casual star 6 Staff Member Manager

Nov 20, 2012
    A LOT! Ever watch politics? :)

LawJedi likes this.
  17. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    [​IMG]

Scared yet? :)

Darth Chiznuk likes this.
  18. Pro Scoundrel

Nov 20, 2012
    I know, I can't wait. :)

LawJedi likes this.
  19. the_sinister_hologram

the_sinister_hologram Jedi Knight star 3

Nov 3, 2012
    That was the problem really. The "dirtier" trilogy, the one who focused primarily around scoundrels and outcasts gave a more sense of camaraderie between the main characters than the PT did. The fact that there ware so many Jedi as secondary characters only added to the count of emotionless characters. There was something missing.

20. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Pro Scoundrel likes this.
  21. Ridley Solo

Ridley Solo Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 27, 2010
    Gah! No, I hate politics! [face_not_talking]

22. SevrinThree

SevrinThree Jedi Padawan

Nov 23, 2012
    Sadly, I have to agree with this statement. As a huge fan of Trek (especially the classic series), I was appalled at the majority of the choices he made from big to small -- the basic plot was senseless, the engine room with the oompa-loompa tube was idiodic, and character motivations were utterly random. With so much of Ep VII in other's hands, I don't think he'll screw it up wildly, but I fear that we'll see a return of the same lapses of internal logic that plagued the prequels.

23. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Demonstrably false. He might know more than you.

No, they weren't. Disgruntled viewer complaints were utterly inaccurate.

Such as?

Because Lucas doesn't know **** about Star Wars, right?

SithLordDarthRichie likes this.
  24. Obi-Wan21

Aug 27, 2002
    As far as I know, Abrams didn't write the script for Star Trek, it was written by the awful duo, was it not? I realize milage may vary on that term and some might disagree, but their names truly escape me at this point. The logic of the plot itself is not really up for discussion when we rate Abrams as an Episode VII director, he's not writing it, Michael Ardnt is, and he is an Oscar winner (a notation that doesn't matter to me, but if we're discussing writing chops, there ya go).

If a flaw is to be had with character motivation, look to the screenwriters. It's the execution of the film itself that needs to be inspected. And Abrams isn't necessarily a bad director, he's just a safe one.

25. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    I didn't have an issue with how Star Trek's script was, it was a whole lot better than the PT's managed to be (and had actors who could at least deliver the lines better).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.