main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

London, ON Jobs for the Summer!

Discussion in 'Canada Discussion Boards' started by Wolf, May 11, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Well most of our topics here are winter and club oriented but i thought a topic about summer jobs would be fun!

This can either include your attempts to find jobs, what you are looking for, your frustrations in trying to find a job...

Or if you have one this can be a place for complaining and moaning about hard day's annoying co-workers or even just saying how much you enjoy what you are doing.

Anything job or work related lets talk about it! Share your frustrations and Successes!

2. Rabellaka

Rabellaka Jedi Master star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    ok, I'm looking for a different line of work, but I'm not having any luck in even finding out how to get into it!!!!!

Most of you probably already know that I want to get into costume design, and I really do want to, but like I said, I don't know how to get into it, and I've really been searching for a few weeks.

3. Primrodo

Primrodo Jedi Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    mmm...summer jobs. :)

4. The_Last_Warrior

The_Last_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002

WEll, I've got a pretty sweet set of jobs for the summer.

1) Janitor at a primary school. 40 hours a week, $10 an hour American.

2) Website construction, as many hours as I want, $25 an hour American. I'm rich! Rich I tell you!

5. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    I thought you were Jake ;)

6. Lelila

Lelila Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 16, 1999
    I'm still hunting, but whatever it is I find I'm sure I won't be making as much as you, Jake. :)

7. The_Last_Warrior

The_Last_Warrior Jedi Youngling star 2

May 6, 2002

LOL...I needed a job that paid that well.....so I can work myself out of student loans....*groan*

8. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Student Loans *shudder* Something I am not looking forward to paying back!

9. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    I've been paying loans back for two years, and probably will be till the end of time.... To quote Mel Brooks "Life stinks" (good movie, if you haven't watched it, you should)

10. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Well i actually got my job back at Rogers this summer. I got slight raise of 35 cents. Hopefully i will be able to raise that by the time i go back to school and "HOPEFULLY" get a transfer to the location in London.

I'm also really hopeing that they start training me to open the store. That way i can be free for evenings instead of having to work till 12am every night.

11. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    Success!
    I can post in this thread because I finally have a job! I'll be working at an overnight "camp" in Collingwood for adults with developmental delays. It's sort of a vacation for them and we also teach them life skills. It's four sessions of two weeks each so I'll only be working June 9 - Aug 17. The down side of this is that I'll be scarce during that time, I don't expect to have net access there, and I'll only be back in Toronto every other weekend.

12. SarahSkywalker

SarahSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 24, 2002
    I have no job, I'm poor and slightly bored.
    I figure no one will hire me from June to mid-July, so I haven't really looked much.
    And Debbie, you need to come visit me as I'm only 45 minutes away!

13. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Well today was my first day closing the store on my own.

First there was a fire two doors down at the Shoppers Drug mart, so i had to quickly organize the evactuation of my store while locking all doors turning off the open sign, phoning my manager and grabbing the store key.

Other than that though today at work went pretty well!

14. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    Well it turns out that I'm actually leaving next Friday, June 13th, instead of the following Monday as I thought. I plan on writing a lot of letters to make up for the probable lack of e-mail so PM me your addresses if you want me to write to you :)

15. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    Wow, looks like this thread has stopped dead! Well I'm going to post in it even though probably no one is actually reading it. *starts talking to herself*

I'm back in Toronto until Sunday morning. My week up in Collingwood for training was awesome! All of the other staff are super, and we've bonded really, really well. A few are into Lord of the Rings and a bit into Star Wars so we should have some fun with that! Actually my senior has the most awesome Star Wars shirt ever! It's vintage from the 70's, and strapless with a slight frill around the shoulder, red with a blue Star Wars iron on. She got it recently in Vancouver, I would love to find it one day, and it's a GIRL shirt!

Anyway, as I said, this week was a mix of bonding and training. Gorgeous location, right at the foot of Blue Mountain, and my cottage has water access :) We went to Wasaga beach (a short drive away) and did a kareoke bar last night (I was DD so I didn't drink but I sure sang a lot). We also did a medication course so now I know how to administer medication (be afraid, be very afraid), and cleaned up around the cottages. Finally, I learned how to drive the huge van we'll be using up there, it seats 12 or so, it's long and very wide and sounds like a bus.

We're working on getting internet up in my cottage, one of the girls brought her computer up, and we're trying to use the free 3 month AOL CD, but we're having a bit of trouble with that, so I don't know how long it will take to get it up and running.

16. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Hey Deb! I was gonna ask you right before you went off how it was :)

Glad to hear everything is so great! Blue Mountian is a beautiful place even though I barely remmevber it in the summer...I was born in Collingwood don't you know ;)

Heres hoping you get internet!

17. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Yay Deb!

On my job front, my manager has quit so i have to prove myself all over again to a new women. They also hired about 6 new people so i'm afraid my shifts might be cut down :-(

hopefully they wont though, next week i still have my 39 hours.

18. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    Wow summer jobs...thats been a interesting and Turbulent topic for me.

I started working Nights at A&P. Though I hated it, it paid well. Then the same day I got that Job I was also asked to sell knives. I tried that and trained in sales but unfortunately due to conflicting Points of Veiw about jobs goals between me and my boss, I walked.

Well two weeks ago I picked up some shifts and New York Fries Balancing the job with A&P, until I got the big news.

As of yesterday June 18th I am an official temporary employee of Alliance Atlantis. And if you know me at all you would know that this is HUGE for me, this film is my whole life. sure I am doing paper work but who knows what doors it will open. Pls the whole experience is kinda cool. It is handsdown the best job I have ever worked.

:D

19. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    sorry if this sounds stupid, but what are you doing at AA? (spelling problems)

20. Lelila

Jan 16, 1999
    Cool about AA!
    Just wanted to say that I have internet now, though I won't be on it that often.

21. Wolf

Wolf Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Yay Deb,

Well i can say tonight at work was extreamly troubling.

They Assistant manager gave me like 10 things to do and it was only me and a trainee from 6pm-12:30am.

Add to that the fact that the air conditioner was broken down and the entire store was at 80 degrees +. I had to teach the other girl how to cash out and then do so myself which took me till about 12:40.

Ok so i'm finally done work, i turn on the alarm walk out of the store, all the doors are locked everything is good, i drop my key in the return slot turn to face my car... **** i locked my keys inside Rogers and i've already got rid of the store key. Safe to say i had to call my dad at 12:40 am to bring me a spare key. Now i'm tired have heat stroke and have to work again tomorow...

man life sucks sometimes :)

EDIT: inappropriate language

22. Jymm_Roquand

Jymm_Roquand Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 25, 2002
    sorry if this sounds stupid, but what are you doing at AA?

Whatever they tell me to do. :p

Actually my dream is to write and direct films as a career and open a fully independent and operational Canadian Studio, after my own independent international production Company. I have a lot of amibiton but the hardest part is starting out. So my aunt who has worked at AA for like 15 to 20 years got me a summer job filing and cataloguing. Its not the most exciting job but its a start.

23. Rabellaka

Nov 20, 2002
    Hey, I got a new job! As of Monday I'll be working at TeleTech for a whole $2/h more than I get now.

24. Primrodo

Jun 23, 2002
    Yay Janet!

25. -Phi-

-Phi- Jedi Master star 3

Jun 27, 2002
    Congratulations :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.