main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

KOTOR: General Chat & Discussion (NOT for Gameplay help / walkthroughs) - CONTAINS PLOT SPOILERS

Discussion in 'Archive: Games' started by Jaepee, May 18, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaepee

Jaepee Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 19, 2001
    http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories/news/0,10870,2762052,00.html

We've got some early information on Knights of the Old Republic.

LucasArts showed off BioWare's upcoming Star Wars role-playing game behind closed doors for the first time today. Called Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, the game was first announced last fall, but has only been in full development for about six months at BioWare, developers of the highly acclaimed Baldur's Gate series of PC RPGs. In fact, the game is very similar to BioWare's Baldur's Gate games, but it uses a brand new 3D engine with a floating camera instead of a 2D tile-based engine with an isometric perspective.

The game takes place approximately 4,000 years before the Star Wars movies. However, space travel still exists, and the universe is still very technologically advanced. You'll traverse worlds like Tatooine that will look very familiar to you and yet contain enough subtle cues to remind you that these are ancient times.

Keep checking back to GameSpot, as we'll have a detailed hands-on preview of this game later on today. Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic is scheduled for release in late 2002.

"but it uses a brand new 3D engine with a floating camera instead of a 2D tile-based engine "

See, Force Commander WAS ahead of its time! :)

2. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Thanks for the heads-up.

3. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    Cool! I like these games :D

4. Darth_Simpson

Darth_Simpson Jedi Master star 4

May 7, 2000
    More on Knights of the Old Republic here!

http://pc.ign.com/previews/16512.html

5. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    What I'm wondering most of all is when, exactly, this fits in to everything. I'm pretty sure that it's not an adaptation of the current stuff, so I can only assume it takes place either during the Nadd stuff before the TotJ comics or else a wholly new story shortly after them.

6. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    4000 years prior to episode 1. I think, anyway.

7. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    yeah, about that time, but what about in specific relation to the comic of the same name?

8. Jaepee

Jan 19, 2001

When LucasArts showed off Verant's Star Wars Galaxies yesterday, we were sure that nothing else would be able to trump it. After today's demonstration of Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic, however, we're not so sure anymore...

continued here;

gamespot preview

9. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    "During this particular sequence, Imperial battle droids and what looked like stormtrooper precursors were invading the city, while a group of Jedi knights were fending them off with lightsabers."

Imp battle droids and stormies during TotJ...uh-oh.

10. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Mastadge...
    "Imp battle droids and stormies during TotJ...uh-oh."

Don't worry. You have to remember, reviewers have their heads up their @$$es when it comes to actually knowing continuity elements. The fact is, the droids that were seen could be exactly like the ones who cut down Master Arca. The troops - some menacing guys wearing all the same armor in Star Wars instantly brings to mind stormtroopers.

Basically, these people have no idea what they're talking about and use battledroids and stormtroopers because people KNOW those things. If the guy said "Darkside Autonamatons" instead of battledroids and "Onderanian Raiders" instead of "stormies" then Joe Schmo Star Wars fan isn't going to know what the hell those things are.

11. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    ~~~^^^~~~I have changed my mind again. Look out.~~~^^^~~~

Continuity is ALL crap now! LEC DOESN'T CARE ABOUT CONTINUITY. IT WILL NOT FIT IN. IT IS NOT REAL. STAR WARS IS FAKE. FICTION, IT WILL NOT ALL BE PERFECT.

12. Genghis12

Genghis12 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 1999
    Did you mean Canon, continuity, EU Canon, EU continuity, Canonical continuity, Apocryphal canon, Apocryphal continuity, Apocryphyal continuity canon... :D

Jedi Bib, Han's screams of pain in the ESB torture chamber came to mind. I feel your pain.

13. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    I feel you guys. Try saying that in the literature fourm. Those guys will come at you with a pich fork and nouse in hand. All hail the sacred countinuty. Those who question will meet there doom. :p

14. Whimper

Whimper Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 11, 1999
    I know nothing at all about EU, or what happened 4000 years prior to Episode I. But I'll be the first to say that continuity of any kind will be shot when we see:

"During this particular sequence, Imperial battle droids and what looked like stormtrooper precursors were invading the city"

"you'll do most of your traveling on a spaceship similar to the Millennium Falcon, called the Ebon Hawk"

15. Jaepee

Jan 19, 2001
    >> But I'll be the first to say that continuity of any kind will be shot when we see: <<

See Ghenghis12's post above. He's right you know.

With all the effort that has gone into the EU, you can expect this RPG to fit in well. Lucas isn't that sloppy.

You need to take these journalist's descriptions of 20 minutes watching a one level development version of the game with a grain of salt.

Any ship with a hexagonal "windscreen" will be "Millennium Falcon"-like. And the reviewer DID NOT say there were stormtroopers in the game. And I'm pretty sure the "Imperial" part before the droid description was of the journalist's making.

Again, check the wise words from Ghenghis12 above.

16. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    pat, That's why I no longer post in Lit. I got in to many fights with Valentio.

17. Knju_Daot

Knju_Daot Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 20, 2001
    All your forums belong to AA.

18. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    Don't worry about continuity fights...say what you want to say, and if Valiento or Ghengis or DL or me or anyone else picks a fight about your post, ignore it instead of getting into a who-can-type-the-longest-least-coherent-post battle.

19. pat-fett

pat-fett Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 17, 2001
    Trust me I now Bib. I Posted some thoughts on lit fourm and boy did Valentio let me have it. Still I respect the guy. I wish I knew the EU as well as him. I only read most of the books and comics once. Twice say if they are as good as the Thrawn trilogy or X-wing books.

20. Mastadge

Jun 4, 1999
    I know the EU, excepting the tv shows, WEG stuff, and Marvel comics, about as well as anyone...but that's no reason to start superlong "well, actually" posts...not to say that I don't, just not that frequently. ;)

21. Jaepee

Jan 19, 2001
    More info on TFN;

At last- reported by a Star Wars fan, not a generic games reporter!

New details of RPG

Best bits;

"Each character will have over 100 skills to improve and use in the game as well as over 50 force powers and 100+ items. The game is set thousands of years before the movies but a couple hundred after the comic series. One of the main features will be the tons of Jedi that will be in the game."

"The presentation showed Sith troopers storming the new city- planet of Taris and Jedi fighting with sabers. "

SITH TROOPERS! Not Stormtroopers!

22. Forcefire

Forcefire Jedi Master star 4

Jul 17, 2000
    Well, I'm really looking forward to this. My assortment of RPGs is lacking, and this will finally give me a much needed boost.

23. Padawan716

Padawan716 Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 7, 2001
    Cool, I'd like to battle some sith lords 4000 years before SW... :D

24. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    the new policy is that everything is considered canon unless there is an "Infinities" icon on it, then it is just "Official".
    Everything is canon.
    I doubt this game will follow events from the comic, just because that would be retarded. A lot of Star Wars fans already know the outcome of that entire storyline. This will probably be in the same universe, only seperate,.

25. Bubba

Bubba Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2000
    I don't believe the Freedon Nadd Uprising took place on Taris, did it? :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.