main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Leonardo Di Caprio would've made a better Anakin

Discussion in 'Archive: Attack of the Clones' started by yodaschum, Sep 17, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jedi_Master_Orion

Jedi_Master_Orion Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    Hey guys I'v been watching this for a little while and while the topic is pretty interesting I would ask you to please cool down this thread abit and respect each others opinions

you are right Lenardo Decaprio is to short to play Anakin

but he does look somewhat like an older version of Jake Loyyd

yeah I can see Eminem playing Anakin

"Hey Obi, I drink a fith of vadca dare me to fly"

2. darthtj

darthtj Jedi Youngling star 2

Sep 27, 2002
    Leo is way too old to play anakin, and quite frankly would have been a disasterous choice.Lucas made the right choice going with an unknown.

3. anakin_girl

anakin_girl Jedi Knight star 6

Oct 8, 2000
    Before Hayden was ever cast as Anakin, a friend of mine and I were going through the prospects, including Leo, Jonathan Jackson, and some others, Leo being the predominant one. She agreed with a couple of people who mentioned that Leo looks like an older Jake Lloyd--and for that matter, so do I. However, there is much more too it than that.

1) IMHO, and in the opinion of several others, while Leo may be a good actor and may have done a good job in Titanic and other films, he is not the quality of actor that Hayden is. See my other post on the praises Hayden has received from various people he has worked with. He also amazed Kevin Kline, a very established actor, when auditioning for Life as a House and Irwin Winkler, the director of LAAH.

2) To whoever said that Leo would be a "big star" and Hayden would be remembered as Anakin--so? One of the things I like about Hayden is he is not into the Hollywood scene--he loves acting for acting's sake, not because he wants the glitz and glamour of Tinseltown. He even told one person he worked with on Higher Ground that he wasn't sure he'd want to audition for a film as big as Star Wars because he wanted to act because he loves acting, and doesn't want to be remembered as a teen heartthrob. (He changed his mind because the opportunity to play Darth Vader was worth some of the drawbacks, he said.)

3) People would watch Leonardo as Anakin and expect him to say, "I'm the king of the galaxy!"

4) Lucas said that Leo was too old and he was looking for someone younger. Leo is also too short.

Hopefully that's a good recap of some points that have been made so far, and that people who want to debate my points will be able to do so intelligently without bashing Hayden just for meanness. However, KR may be right and I may be expecting too much out of these boards.

4. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
  5. AngelPadme

AngelPadme Jedi Youngling

Jul 30, 2002
    Anakin=Leo..............................................................................AH HAHAHAHA

6. One-with-the-Force

One-with-the-Force Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 16, 2002
    Oops... Looks like I replied without looking at what page I was on. I said "LOL" to MobartZmuda...

7. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    I originally envisioned someone like Russell Crowe playing Anakin in episode 3,but that was back when I thought Lucas was going to take the prequels more seriously than he has.

8. Danteek

Danteek Jedi Youngling

Aug 28, 2002
    Leo as Anakin...riiiight.

A four foot tall blonde baby faced Darth Vader.

I don't think so.

9. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    Russell Crowe as Anakin = [face_plain]

10. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    "take the prequels more seriously than he has"

???

I think you're just bashing for the sake of bashing.

11. Massiff_Attack

Massiff_Attack Jedi Youngling star 3

May 25, 2002
    "Leonardo Di Caprio would've made a better Anakin".

What, better than Hasbro!!
    Is he that good a craftsman??

:)

12. guittarjedi

guittarjedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 21, 2002
    Kessel Runner,in 1998 did you envision things like Jar Jar Binks and silly C3PO antics?

13. MobartZmuda

MobartZmuda Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 3, 2002
    Sometimes you just got to take the good with the bad. Sure, you get Jar Jar Binks, but you also get the best lightsaber duel IMHO in TPM. Sure there's C-3PO's antics, but I found them amusing, unnecessary, but amusing none the less.

But clearly no one had envisioned the PT as it is to day and I think that might be a good thing--people would complain it's too predictable if otherwise.

14. Kessel Runner

Kessel Runner Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 10, 1999
    I didn't envision those things, no, but I also didn't envision Jango Fett, Zam Wesell, Mace Windu, & Count Dooku.

The OT had plenty of things for the kids (Artoo, Threepio, Ewoks, etc.) Sure JarJar took it to the extreme, but by AOTC we see he was serving a distinct purpose.

15. cybertea201

cybertea201 Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 19, 2002
    i think toby miguire would of had been a great anakin

16. Vaders_Clone

Vaders_Clone Jedi Master star 1

Dec 29, 2002
    ARE YOU KIDDING ME????? Leonardo Di Caprio CANNOT AND I MEAN CANNOT ACT AT ALL!! Ever seen titanic? Many of the lines he presented were with the wrong inflection and wrong emotion for the line. Totally out of place! LDC would have butchered the part. Granted Hayden didn't do an oscar winning job, but i think he did great. If you know anything about acting you will know that you do what the director tells you or he will get someone else! And Hayden was allowed his freedom, and George would just give them ideas. Watch some of the documentaries!!!!!

17. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    i can't stand christenson but on the other hand, i wouldn't want leo to be him either. between the two of them (quote me on this b/c i'm anti-anakin) i would pick christenson to be anakin.

leo has that type of face where he always looks innocent...can anyone really think of him as bad boy in episode iii? i can't. i can but it would give me nightmares.

18. Darth_Goofy

Darth_Goofy Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2001
    To all the people saying Leonardo can't act: Since when are you all such distinguished actors?

The way I see it is that Leo would have made a decent Anakin. I think he would have acted well and had he not have the cloud of Titanic over him, people would have liked him. However Hayden, on the other hand, was practically MADE for this role. When you see Anakin on screen, you don't think of him as the actor, you think of him as Anakin.

Leo would have made a fine Anakin, I'm sure, but Hayden was fantastic, and I don't think anyone else could have played him as well.

19. Jedi_Johnson

Jedi_Johnson Jedi Grand Master star 5

Apr 6, 2002
    LDC as Anakin = :( No offense but that would have been terrible. When I was drug off to see Titanic I thought two things. 1. C'mon sink already. and 2. LDC is an overrated actor.

20. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Irwin Winkler wants to work with Hayden again (January 2002):

LOVE AND WAR -- Oliver Stone is revisiting the Vietnam War with his script The Hunted, which producer Irwin Winkler (Raging Bull) hopes that Stone will also direct. "It's about Bobby Garwood, the longest-held prisoner of war during the Vietnam conflict," says Winkler, who wants to cast Star Wars and The Virgin Suicide Canadian born hunk Hayden Christensen for the part. Oliver Stone is rewriting the script which is an adaption of the novel Spite House. Winkler Film/Columbia are producing

To those that think HC will only ever be remembered as Anakin (which wouldn't be bad, he's the best SW character dreamed up by GL - the character is George's baby), He has done some very good things and specializes in angst (which is what Anakin is all about IMO, I mean who wouldn't be with Obi as a "teacher"?). He's set to play in two other movies besides the one above "Shattered Glass" and "The Other Side of Simple" - Trust me, he was noticed long before Star Wars, and likes to do smaller, more character centered stuff, but I mean, let's be honest, when George Lucas offers you the character of a lifetime - whaddya gonna do?

You'll do what Hayden did - act his ass off.

EDIT: However Hayden, on the other hand, was practically MADE for this role. When you see Anakin on screen, you don't think of him as the actor, you think of him as Anakin

Amen, Darth Goofy, Amen.

21. winter_chili

winter_chili Jedi Master star 5

Nov 6, 2002
    Leonardo Di Caprio CANNOT AND I MEAN CANNOT ACT AT ALL!!

yeah he cant, but hayden is even worse

22. ST-TPM-ASF-TNE

ST-TPM-ASF-TNE Moderator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 27, 2001
    I think both Leo and Hayden can act just fine. But I don't see Leo fitting into SW for some reason. Hayden is fine for me.

23. TheVioletBurns

TheVioletBurns Jedi Master star 4

May 27, 2002
    He even told one person he worked with on Higher Ground that he wasn't sure he'd want to audition for a film as big as Star Wars because he wanted to act because he loves acting, and doesn't want to be remembered as a teen heartthrob. (He changed his mind because the opportunity to play Darth Vader was worth some of the drawbacks, he said.)

Huh, he saw that one coming. Thankfully he'll outlast the mindless disrespect and fickle criticism. Actually, seeing how every actor/director who's come into contact with him sings his praises - what are the asinine comments of the media and a select few in comparison? Seriously, just being picked by Lucas out of hundreds - many "safe" choices could have been made I'm sure - for the most important role in Star Wars says a lot.)

I don't have anything against Leonardo, but... he is just wrong for Anakin. Perhaps Hayden has spoiled this Vader fan. But... DiCaprio, Skywalker... no, sorry, doesn't add up. :p

24. BLUEJEDI3

BLUEJEDI3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 12, 2002
    He is too short to become Vader, simple as that.

25. Jedi_Satimber

Jedi_Satimber Jedi Knight star 8

Jul 3, 2002
    Leonardo Di Caprio would've made a better Anakin.
    He's a star in his own right, so he wouldn't have taken **** off of Lucas. One of the problems with the PT is Lucas has chosen wimpy actors/actresses like Christensen and Portman who just go along with everything George says. You need more people like Harrison Ford and Carrie Fisher who'd say: "go to hell George, I want to improvise this scene myself and change the dialogue too".

Bite your tongue...I am so happy that Leo did not get the part. I would have given up on SW if he had gotten the part.

And the whole thing about SW and the actors is that it is not about the actors. Do you really think Harrison and Carrie were in a position to do the things that you are saying they did? They and Mark were nobodies back in 1975 when they were chosen.
    The only 2 certifiable stars at that time were James Earl Jones and Sir Alec Guiness. That's it.

Natalie Portman is a very good actress.

And Hayden was perfect for the cry-baby Anakin, just like Mark was perfect for the cry-baby Luke.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.