main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph Les Misérables movie

Discussion in 'Community' started by Miana Kenobi, Sep 20, 2012.

1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    We started talking about Tom Hooper's newest film adaptation on the temp boards.

Today we get a behind-the-scenes look at Les Mis and Tom Hooper's approach to making the cast all sing live.

And here's a look at the first trailer:

2. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Still a bit panicked over not even hearing a peep from Javert in that BtS thing (we got Eponine, Marius, Valjean, Cosette, Fantine)... but the part of On My Own we heard killed me.

3. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I was hoping to hear some Javert as well.

But OMG, it's to the point that I'm not sure if I'm more excited for this or for The Hobbit. And that's saying something coming from me.

4. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    Singing it live? Why hasn't this been thought of before?

5. laurethiel1138

laurethiel1138 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 6, 2003
    You and I both... Luckily, they don't come out on the same night, so we don't have to choose which film to go see and can actually be there for both opening nights.

As for Javert, I only hope that the overall quality of the cast is a good omen. I'm counting on old Rusty's perfectionist tendencies to do the rest and carry the day.

Cheers,
    Lauré :)

6. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    ... Unless a date's changed, they DO come out the same night.

Singing it live has too many variables; the music isn't precise, the singing isn't precise (and you can't fix it in post), and it's probably a lot harder on the sound guys to record it well.

7. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    Maybe because before it would have involved technical problems (wireless microphones, etc...) that weren't quite resolved yet, ot that people weren't confident with? Hopefully this will be a breakthrough performance and give a breath of fresh air to the musical genre, so that we can see many more of those over the next years.

Cheers,

8. laurethiel1138

Feb 6, 2003
    As per imdb.com, The Hobbit comes out on the 14th, and Les Miz comes out on the 25th... unless in select markets they have advanced Les Miz's opening night?
    Cheers,

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
  10. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    And per the rest of the internet, Les Mis is still opening on the 14th. [face_worried]

Edit: Oh good. Now come on, Google, and get your stuff updated. :p

11. TiniTinyTony

TiniTinyTony JCC Super Bowl Pick 'Em Winner star 7 VIP - Game Winner

Mar 9, 2003
    If this turns out as awesome as it sounds (wink wink), then I hope Hollywood remakes "Phantom of the Opera" applying this same method.

Anakin_Padme4ever likes this.
  12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I just want Tom Hooper to tackle The Scarlet Pimpernel next. (The book, preferably, but I'll take the musical too).

13. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Because most people sound better/passable when they get harmonised to hell by electronic editing *cough*Gerard Butler*cough*
    I would hate to hear Pierce Brosnan sing live, he was bad enough in Mamma Mia anyway

I've heard Ewan McGregor sing live, he wasn't as good as in Moulin Rouge because his voice wasn't altered to make him sound as good.

The advantage of recording this live will be that they won't have some dodgy dubbing as often happens in musical films and as they said the tempo is better. Plus they can then edit the audio in post production anyway :p

I'm assuming that is why we haven't heard Russel Crowe yet, he will be messed about with in editing so the film people can claim what we are hearing is his real voice

14. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    [face_plain]

15. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah I'm guessing Crowe will wind up being dubbed, at least in parts. It doesn't make me confident in his singing that we haven't heard any of it yet. I fear it's just as I thought it would be.

However, everything else looks SO AWESOME.

16. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    I will probably see this just because Hugh Jackman is Jean Valjean, singing be damned.

17. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I repeat: On My Own killed me. Especially that part of the song... and I've heard Lea Salonga do it live on stage (non-10th anniversary)...

18. SoloKnight

SoloKnight Jedi Master star 4

Feb 13, 2003
    While most of the songs in the movie version of Rent were lip-synced, Idina Menzel's performance of "Over the Moon" was live. She had to sing it seven times.

19. TheGuardianofArlon

Feb 26, 2007
    Interesting. I didn't even know that.o_O[face_laugh]:p

20. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    It has been done before, in a little remembered but vastly underrated Peter Bogdanovich picture called "At Long Last Love," which embraced the difficulty as making the singers shaky performances deliberately as part of its intent and charm.

The reason classical musicals were dubbed is because of a)the difficulty of recording live sound (even many non-musicals feature extensive post-dubbing) b)the inconsistency of sound that would occur from shot to shot and c)the sheer elaborateness of golden age musical numbers. Watch a Busby Berkely musical and tell me how you can sing one of those numbers live on set. Or "Make 'Em Laugh" in Singin' in the Rain. You'd probably die.

21. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    Likewise, legend has it that some of Rex Harrison's work in My Fair Lady was live, simply because they couldn't reliably dub since he did the song different every take. Or something like that.

22. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    Right, and he could barely sing in the first place, so they specifically wrote his parts into talk singing (code for: speak rhythmically and then go up at the end).

23. solojones

solojones Chosen One star 10

Sep 27, 2000
    Yeah he did a lot of that live for that reason. And it worked just fine, but that's partly because he was the originator of the part so it was designed with him in mind.

24. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    These days it's called rapping :p

25. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I so hope Javert raps.

EDIT: "Stars. Uh. Dig it. Stars in their multitudes. Uh. Yeah yeah. Filling the darkness uh huh."

Admiral_Volshe likes this.