main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY LGA Table Top Gaming thread

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Well, I'm trying to do just that Appo with these dry erase cards I'm making by adding in the game steps and rules as I can. It is confusing, as the Action: Evade, is not called Evade on the card. It is just a little squiggle symbol. And what Evade does is let you re-roll certain dice results. But yes, there is a cheat sheet in the rulebook-- and the link to said rulebook is in the first post. It is actually an easy to learn game-- you just have to play a round first before it all makes sense. I've only played it three times, but I'm pretty sure I got it. It is a lot simpler than most mini games I play-- and it is a lot of fun.

I'm sure there is some sort of strategy to the game too, but I don't know what it is. In my last game, I loaded up my three rebel fighters with torpedoes thinking I could just blow the crap out of the Empire---but I got vaped before I could get into a position to use them! Also, we didn't read the rules carefully, so we didn't know how to fly "past" another fighter so toward the end it looked more like 64 at 5:00 on a Friday than the Battle of Yavin! (Note: to fly past another fighter you just fly past the other fighter: not sure why we thought you couldn't)

Appo, what about;
    ACTION: stop to fill up tank with gas (repeat action each turn)

2. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Or,

Clone Pilot Appo;
    Action: VAYCATION HAT when Appo equips Vaycation Hat everyone must have fun. Dangit!

3. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    So I really want to try this out. I can play rebel or imperial. Maybe next weekend? How does Saturday sound? Does someone want to host (not it) or shall we meet at my comic shop or another public gaming arena?

4. Commander APPO

Commander APPO Jedi Knight star 2

Oct 19, 2012
    I'm out for the next couple of Saturdays; got other appointments guard and gun training. If it dosen't take to long I think you said somewere between 30-120 min? Maybe a evening start around 6 or 7 ish?

5. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Comic shop closes at 7PM so someone would have to host.

6. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Are we gaming this saterday?

7. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I guess not, we'll shoot for another one I suppose.

8. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    OK all pass this around to as many as you can cuz I know not everybody gets on here all the time.

We've got a plan for the moment. Who wants to come play X-Wing on 17th Nov at 07:00 pm?

1st Sound off for a head count!!!
    2nd what equipment will you be bringing ? Model(s), dise, cards, fake voices, imitation characters ...:D
    3rd Bring something to snack on and please post it also that way were all not bringing chips and bean dip.
    4th wear what ever is comfortable for you to sit and visit.
    5th Arrival time can be between 6:00 & 7:00. If you show earlier then you can help us set up the place (which won't be much really) and were not here come on in we'll be back soon.

Yea we're gonna shoot some rebel scum uh, uh, I mean we're gonna have a good time.....

9. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    I'm in if we can get professor Jammies to teach us. Thanks for hosting. I've got a starter set and extra ships I'll bring. I expect our dogfights will be small scale at first while we learn the rules so we should be good. Let me think on an appropriate snack to bring.

10. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    X-WING GAMING INFORMATION (DETAILS)

Zannah and Bane um, um, I mean APPO sometime I forget who uh, uh were I am. Hosting and bringing some chips, soft drinks, some booze and good times.
    Jammies with Ms Jammies= Game with instructions, know how (teaching), some models,
    Mika= starter and extra ships, snacks

11. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  12. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Rodger Appo!
    I will be bringing the core set, with the rules, and my knowledge of the game. As mentioned before, I do not use the official ship counters nor the official Pilot Cards: as I have my own models (and they are so dang cool, I have been working on them this week), and I can create new dry/erase cards based on the stats off of the official Pilot Cards (you will see).

So, at least: it will be 6 TIE Fighters, I Tie Advanced, 5 Xwings, and 4 Y Wings.

If anyone cares, my models are 1/144 scale, and the official ship counters are 1/270. So. Not that big of a deal. As I use the regulation bases, it will not affect the game if we mix and match.

The rules suggest that the first game be i x-wing vs. 2 TIES. That would be a good intro. Interested folks could watch or play. Then, we can move on to more advanced stuff-- like using Named pilots like Luke and Darth Vader. Or using upgrade cards like R2D2 or Proton Torpedoes.

It seems complex, but it is not. I have played a lot of table top games (love them in fact: you know I did create my own capital ship game if anyone is interested, but it is more complex then this game), and this is the easiest rule set to pick up. I bet my 7 year old nephew would love it.

Any one have questions?

Twisty can you make it?

11?

So Appo: that is what I am bringing. I might not bring a snack, but will mooch. I always have on comfortable cloths, and I plan on showing up early to help out-- which means I will be there late.

13. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    OK Jammies sounds good, how about Ms Jammies will she make it?

That's OK on the other stuff as your bringing the lions share of infor and game so, that makes it OK with me.

I'll see if I can find a 7 year old to help us out...

14. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Okay, I decided I'll be bringing XWing and Tie Fighter cookies.

Been doing some scouting for play locations (besides my comic shop) in case we want to play and no one can host. Just something to keep in our back pockets.

"Something To Do" is in Oxmoor and has a long history in the area as a go to game shop. On the minus side their popularity means they always have something going on there and it would probably be hard to snag a table to play at.
    http://something2dogames.com/
    Hours Mon-Sat 10AM-9PM Sun 1200-6PM

I've been seeing commercials for a new place called "BluegrassMagic Gameshop" on the Outer Loop. I checked it out and it's nice and new and fresh and BIG. Almost small Bingo Hall big. They had so much store space tied up in a gaming area I asked them how they made any money (it costs nothing to snag a table and play) and they said through selling rare cards and tournamnet fees. They told me anytime is good to snag a table unless they have a Yu-Gi-Oh tournament going on or something. They're not just cards (although that's the most popular) they had other games on the shelves including our XWing game. Days open are limited but they're open longer.
    Mon/Tue =Closed Wed/Thur =Noon-10PM Fri/Sat =Noon-Midnight Sun =1PM-8PM
    https://www.facebook.com/BluegrassMagic
    I think this would be a good place to go.

15. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  16. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Just running this up the flag pole:
    [​IMG]

This is the game card, unaltered. It gives you the stats of the ship, plus some symbols that are explained in the rule book. To move, you turn a dial (sold separately) to record your movements. To choose an Action: you use a game piece (sold separately). These are all in the rules. In my next post, I will show you the cards I have made, and intend to use. Comments welcome.

17. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  18. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Looks really good. Of course once we play we'll probably come up with something to change.

19. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  20. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    We'll know for sure after Saturday.

21. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
  22. Commander APPO

Oct 19, 2012
    YEA!

What he did...

23. jedimika

Apr 2, 2008
    Yeah I'm a little surprised my comic shop has had to re-stock the game.

That fan site is pretty neat. I like some of the custom paint jobs players have given their miniatures.

24. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Wait till you see the custom jobs I'm bringing! (in 1/144 scale)

25. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    So, Ms. Jammies had a question or two:

Will there be food? (or as she put it, should I eat before we eat, or will their be enough to have a meal) and she wondered if she would be the only person not interested in playing to show up. She really wants to go and see everyone, but hasn't (yet) been thrilled with the game.

?

It's 4, and I am still getting my stuff organized. I think this will be great, but I just hope I do a good job teaching, and that the dry erase stuff and the models work out ok.