main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Life Goes On (Sequel to 'Incurable') **Updated 3/08**

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by Miana Kenobi, Mar 24, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    *Smacks muse*

My muse was present for a few days, but my stupid chemistry and calculus midterms have scared him off again.

2. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I love holidays...

Will definitely work on it tonight!

3. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Finals are next week. Sorry, guys. :(

4. Casper_Knightshade

Casper_Knightshade Force Ghost star 6

Oct 18, 2000
    FINALS AWAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Get them out of the way, senorita! Retain focus! :p

5. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    :)

I managed to get another page written last night, though I'm thinking about redoing it because someone was WAY too OOC... but it might work.. who knows...

6. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Well you tell that someone to take their OOC and....

Oh wait....my bad. It's you talking about you. Never mind. [face_blush] :p

7. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm really sorry guys. I've been SO busy this past week, it's not even funny.

Spent most of the week frantically making my Jedi costume, spent ALL DAY yesterday on Trey Stokes' (Pink Five director) set making a movie with a kid from Make-A-Wish as Anakin, meeting Mark Hamill, doing a Toys for Tots event today, christmas shopping... I'm spent. :p

*Collapses*

8. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    <--- As someone who has now seen this movie, I am scarred for life. O.O

9. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    I'm horribly sorry for the long wait. I wish I could remedy it by a fantastic post, but I guess this will have to do....

(And I never said it was Kimbal/Khyte mush) ;)

Cynthia Linsday sat before her datascreen, rubbing her eyes with a tired hand. The deeper she dove into the memory bank of the infirmary records, the more records she found and would wearily have to transfer onto a fresh data flimsy. The records of Corban?s death. The record of his medical condition the year prior. The record of Corra?s birth. The record of Corra?s allergies. The record of Corban?s allergies? it was an unending list. And she had yet to even tough Khyte?s records.

After several hours of work, she had successfully transferred all of Corban and Corra?s files onto the disc. Rubbing her tired hands together, she inhaled deeply and pulled up Khyte?s records. She let the breath out in a heavy sigh, watching as the files appeared. It seemed as if Khyte had just as many medical files as Corban and Corra put together. While ironically humorous, Cynthia doubted that the courts would see humor in it.

A presence brushed against her mind, drawing her attention away from the datascreen. A moment later, a soft knock was heard at the door. She needed not to ask who was calling. ?Enter,? she called lightly, knowing who would come.

The door opened slowly, Rhy-Awn sticking his head in and eyeing the work piled before her. ?Have I come at a bad time??

?Not at all,? she answered, trying to hide her weariness as best she could. She felt fatigued, yet she mustered a smile and turned back to her work. She felt Rhy come near her shoulder, trying to focus on her work once more. The last of the files had transferred, Cynthia indicating that she wanted the next group to transfer as well.

By Rhy?s lack of voice and motion, Cynthia could tell that his eyes were focused on the screen as well. She mentally winced as she highlighted which files it was she wished, the description of each appearing.

She sensed that Rhy also saw the files, hearing him shift slight as he tried to find his voice. ?Could not a droid do this tedious work??

?Patient confidentiality,? Cynthia replied with a sigh. ?They are programmed to never break a patient's confidentiality nor give out files, even if we command them to. So, the work is left up until us." She waited as the last of the files transferred onto the flimsy, selecting a new batch and sending them over.

Silence came over them both, Cynthia continuing her tedious work. At length, she felt Rhy place one hand onto her shoulder, sending warmth into her sore muscle. She hid a smile as she continued to work, hoping to ignore the number of files remaining.

"I'm sorry," Rhy finally spoke, causing Cynthia to frown. She craned her neck to eye the Jedi, furrowing her brows as she scanned his face. "What for? You have no reason."

"For causing you to be involved in this mess," he said quietly, eyeing the floor.

Cynthia snorted a small laugh, then turned to her screen once more. "You need not apologize, Rhy. It was my decision, and I chose to help." She continued transferring, yet she felt the pressure on her shoulder increase. She turned to eye him once more, finding a look in his eyes that she could not comprehend. He tried to speak, yet his voice would not come. Cynthia reached up and covered his hand with hers, smiling warmly. "I love these kids too. I promise it will all work out."

Rhy peered down at her, doubt in his eyes. "Don't make promises you have no control over," he whispered.

Cynthia blinked, finding the doubt in his eyes ever so present. "You fear that Corban's parents will win?"

Rhy said nothing, yet gave a curt nod of his head. "I do. Money speaks loudly. And let's face it, they are right. Corra is not a Jedi, she is not apart of the Order in any way, and her family..." He let out a small sigh, looking down at the ground again. "Khyte may love her daughter, but all the courts will see are her records of il

10. jedi7

jedi7 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 8, 2002
    That was not so bad, but things still are not looking so good, and thats, well... thats not so good. 7
    HAPPY HOLIDAYS!!!!!!!! Miana.

11. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    That wasn't bad at all: in fact, it was required! In terms of the context of the story that is. So great work to get that in. :)

HAPPY HOLIDAYS! LATE FELIZ NAVIDAD!

12. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Thanks guys.

Sorry I've slowed down in writing... college and I are fighting (and college is winning). :(

13. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Don't worry: again, things take precedent over fan fiction. It's cool! :)

14. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Thanks Casper. :)

15. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    All righty...

Thanks to the great boards migration of 2005, I've been spending the past weeks rummagine back to posts from 2000 and finding all my old stories that I was never smart enough to write out first and save. So, hate to say it, but I might not get a chance to post until after the boards have been moved. :(

Sorry, guys!

16. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    [Gandalf]Yes, I'm here...

Okay: Old stories are finally completely saved (minus the ones that got butchered in the last move), and I am trying my hardest to get caught up on my homework. This story is still in my mind, so never fear, I shall not neglect it forever!

On a different note, after saving hundreds of pages of story on Word (PER story), I got to Incurable and was shocked to find that it was only 28 pages! I reread it, and was cringing the entire time.

Since it was so poorly written and executed, that horrid thought came to me that I should rewrite it. To get it the way I truly wanted it, I would have to completely rewrite the entire story.

What's your guyses thoughts on that?

17. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Good, good question.

As it stands on its own, Incurable is a good piece of work. So it's only 28 pages: a lot can be conveyed in less space: you're definately better than me at that.

I would do a rewrite for one of two reasons:

One, you believe you can do the whole telling of the story far better, or,

Two, there's more you want to add to the story: perhaps there were ideas back then that you didn't want to commit to posting because of low comfort levels (your unwillingless to 'expose' yourself), or whatever it was it just didn't seem to fit the context of the story; a fear that you don't want to lessen the power of the story, or it's context, and so on.

As I wrote my first long fiction here I got more and more comfortable and so the last part of the story was long, comprehensive, and importantly everyone enjoyed it. So on the second one, and currently the third one, I'm throwing everything in even if it isn't quite relevant to the story (it only lasts a paragraph, or at best part of a chapter). I've gotten creative with the process and took things, purposely made them irrelevant, and then later on in the story have something happen where it makes everyone go back to that irrelevant part. In fact I just did it again, but this time on a grander scale: going back an entire book.

But if you do decide to redo Incurable, I am interested to read it. :)

Just do what you feel is best. There is, really, no rush at all.

18. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Thanks, Casper. :)

One, you believe you can do the whole telling of the story far better,
    OOOOOH yeah. :p I wrote Incurable when I was 14. Ick. Just from writing these past 4 years alone (Okay, so advanced/honors/and AP English has helped a LOT), my writing has improved twofold. I could probably write the story with more acuracy, more depth, and a lot better grammar. :p

Two, there's more you want to add to the story: perhaps there were ideas back then that you didn't want to commit to posting because of low comfort levels (your unwillingless to 'expose' yourself), or whatever it was it just didn't seem to fit the context of the story; a fear that you don't want to lessen the power of the story, or it's context, and so on.

I most definitely want to add to it. I never got to show the whole process in great detail. I mean, Corban went from fine to sick almost instantly. There was never any progression. As for low comfort, perhaps. I didn't understand as much about health and medicine back then as I do now. Plus, I spent the summer with an elderly friend of the family and watched her slowly pass away, so I'm more familiar with it now (as sad as it is to say).

Thanks for your vote of confidence, Casper. :)

19. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Hey, I have 1 & 1/2 paragraphs on the next post.

*Waves tiny little flag*

20. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    Always a pleasure to help others navigate the constantly changing seas of life, Senorita! :)

FORWARD!

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    *Glares at Word* Still only have 1 & 12 paragraphs.

22. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
  23. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    3 paragraphs... At this rate, it'll be done by RotS. :p

24. Casper_Knightshade

Oct 18, 2000
    That's okay: I should have been done with my stories lightyears ago! :p

FORWARD!

25. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    LOL, I meant done with the post. :p

Easter break was hell, and I started classes bright and early this morning. However, I'm getting so irritated at my muse that I'm abought ready to grab my shotgun and go hunting for him.

Or fire him, whichever works better. ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.