main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Just want to add Whose Line is it Anyway to favorite TV shows.

9. I love hiking up in the Catskill mountains. My parents have a small house up there that I visit periodically throughout the year to hike, fish, raft, and ski. It's a welcome change from the city at times and it's also great sitting on the deck at night and being able to see tons of stars, which is nearly impossible in New York

I did track in high school and some in college, as well as played basketball in high school. I pretty much with play any sport recreationally, but basketball and flag football are my favorites. Also anything with a frisbee (ultimate, golf) is great to do in the park.

Finally I enjoy writing a lot. I always have a ton of ideas for fiction stories that I want to put down on paper. The unfortunate part is finishing them before getting hooked on another idea; I always have issues with that. I do write some fan fiction, but there's no way in hell I'm sharing them :p

10. First off, Zayne Carrick is, and forever will be, my favorite Star Wars character. This includes the films. He's the perfect Jedi, though I wish he would be a bit more ruthless when it comes to it. Nevertheless I admire his sentence of justice and empathy. If I had to make a list it'd look something like this:

1. Zayne Carrick
    2. Jacen Solo (pre-Inferno)
    3. Soontir Fel
    4. Jagged Fel
    5. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    6. Jaina Solo
    7. Jarael
    8. Marn Hierogryph
    9. Darth Vader (post-Mustafar)
    10. Garik "Face" Loran

I've always been a big Fel fan, as well as for the Solo kids. I really enjoyed Jacen, even through half of LotF, until he went all nuts on Kashyyyk in Inferno. Besides Zayne, Obi-Wan is the quintessential Jedi. I really like Darth Vader after he gets put in the suit, even though I dislike Anakin Skywalker. And Face and Gryph are hilarious.

I do like the Big Three of course, but we've been exposed to them so much that I'm kind of tired of hearing about them. I pretty much like all the KOTOR characters, whether it be the videogames or the comics, even those in the Jedi Covenant. I like all the Wraits, pretty much all the Rogues, most of the Legacy comics cast, and the Knight Errant cast as well, especially the Sith Lords that JJM created for the novel.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I've always had that problem, too. So I wrote an infinite number of parallel universes into existence. Now I can develop all my ideas at once! :p

Point Given likes this.
  3. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Point Given 11. What are your favorite SW books and comics?

12. What non-SW books/comics do you like?

4. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

Anything by Matthew Stover, John Ostrander and John Jackson Miller automatically takes the top spots, particularly the Revenge of the Sith novelization, Traitor, Legacy, Agent of the Empire, Knights of the old Republic comics and the Knight Errant novel. I love the X-Wing series and I'm a big fan of the early to mid NJO, particularly (besides Traitor) Destiny's Way, Star by Star, the Dark Tide duology, and the Enemy Lines duology. Though it lags a bit with the Force Heretic trilogy, it ends superbly with the last two books.Other than that, I like Luceno's Labyrinth of Evil and Dark Lord books.Other comics I like are Dark Times (though the long drawn out release schedule kind of puts a damper on it), and I liked Invasion a bit, though there were some flaws. Since I like lists, I'll attempt to organize one.

Books

1. Revenge of the Sith novelization
    2. Traitor
    3. Starfighters of Adumar
    4. Knight Errant
    5. Destiny's Way
    6. Iron Fist
    7. Star by Star
    8. Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader
    9. Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor
    10.. Solo Command

I suspect that Kenobi will end up changing this list around

Comics:

1. Knights of the Old Republic
    2. Legacy
    3. Agent of the Empire
    4. Legacy (new)
    5. Knight Errant

I'm a huge fan of A Song of Ice and Fire, though I got into it relatively late. I finished the first two books just ahead of the first season of the show, and read the rest while it was ongoing. As a kid I was a big fan of Harry Potter. I recently re-read it, and though it's not as good on the re-read it's still very enjoyable. I also like Lord of the Rings, though sometimes Tolkien can get a little tiring (not to say that Martin and Rowling don't have their flaws) I also recently discovered a site where I can read all the Animorphs books, which I loved as a kid, so I've been going through them.

I'm currently reading a lot of British mysteries, chiefly those by Agatha Christie and Ngaio Marsh. Ten Little Indians, and Murder on the Orient Express have always been favorites of mine, but one I just read the other day, The Mirror Crack'd from Side to Side, is up there. That one is extremely tragic (even more tragically, it's almost completely based on a true story), and you end up feeling bad for the murderer.

Right now I have a goal of collecting each president's biography. I currently have biographies of George Washington (Chernow), John Adams (McCullough), Andrew Jackson (Meacham), Abraham Lincoln (Kearns Goodwin), Ulysses Grant (both Grant himself and Brands), Theodore Roosevelt (both Morris and Brands), Calvin Coolidge (Shlaes), Franklin Roosevelt (Brands), Harry Truman (McCullough), Dwight Eisenhower (Korda), John Kennedy (Schlesinger), Lyndon Johnson (Caro), Richard Nixon (Black) and an amusing parody biography of the immortal Millard Fillmore (Pendle)

My other current obsession is English history. Within the last year I've gotten books on the Norman Conquest, a history of the Plantagenet Kings (post Stephen I) and the Wars of the Roses. I also have a few books on Ancient Rome and Greece and a few on Russian history, particularly Peter and Catherine the Great.

I'm not much of a comic guy, outside of Star Wars, though.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  5. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Ahhhh so that explains all that pesky president question!:p

CooperTFN likes this.
  6. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
  7. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    She meant ethnocentric.

8. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    You're ethnocentric.

CooperTFN likes this.
  9. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    12.5. America: great country, or the greatest country?

10. RC-1991

RC-1991 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 2, 2009
    Read Malazan ASAP, PG.

11. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    No.

Which is why I have all those books on English, Russian, Roman, and some Arabic history right? o_O

12. instantdeath

instantdeath Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 22, 2010
    Bah humbug.

13. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    You don't get to answer a question with a question. Who do you think you are, Vergere?

14. Todd the Jedi

Todd the Jedi Mod and Loving Tyrant of SWTV, Lit, & Collecting star 6 Staff Member Manager

Oct 16, 2008
    Point Given
    I've never read any Agatha Christie, but Murder on the Orient Express with Albert Finney is one of my favorite movies.

13. Are there any aspects of SW canon you dislike? If so, what changes would you make?

14. If you could live anywhere in the GFFA in any time period, where would it be?

15. HWK-290

HWK-290 Jedi Padawan star 2

Jul 29, 2013
    Are we playing a game of Questions?

16. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

13. I would do away with the TOR time period and have Bioware make KOTOR 3 where Revan and the Exile journey into Sith space and destroy the Sith threat and emperor, but die in the process. The end

I would also change the post NJO era drastically. Though I like Legacy I'd probably push it back a few decades, if not a century. I would probably have Darth Krayt just be some dude instead of A'Sharad Hett, and definitely would not have K'khruk and the tree.

For the immediate post NJO era, I didn't have much of a problem for the Dark Nest Crisis per se, but I would definitely have the galaxy more broken post Vong War, especially having Denon still as the temporary capital of the GFFA. If Jacen were to go dark (and I would rather he did not go over the edge) I would have him survive LotF and become a recurring antagonist. I'd rather he not though. Heck, as I think about it, Havac had the perfect post NJO storyline, so I'll go with what he said.

Also I would have Jedi vs Sith supersede Path of Destruction and influence the entire Darth Bane trilogy.

14. I've always enjoyed the "lone wanderer" type of story where some random guy or gal travels the land/world/galaxy and becomes a force for good. (It's why I like the Fallout and Elder Scrolls series so much) so I think I would a perfect fit for the Knight Errant time period during the New Sith Wars. Heck, it could work in any time period, but I prefer living the NSW as opposed to the Galactic Empire timeperiod because Kerra had a far away safe haven, whereas you're essentially screwed if you act out during the GCW.

Barriss_Coffee likes this.
  17. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Point Given What was your reaction to the Disney purchase of SW, and what are your hopes for the ST?

18. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Complete surprise was my first reaction :p I've been on the fence since the beginning; I think Star Wars, as a whole, needed some shaking up since it was in a rut. But I then became worried that the shaking up would be a complete reboot of the EU.

I've pretty much accepted that the EU is done as we know it, which is a shame. I loved how everything connected together, the varied stories, the amazing characters. Sure in the past few years it had gone downhill, but there were still good works and we could always look at stories, comics and games from the past.

Anyway, I hope they don't bring back the Emperor as a threat, and I hope they don't try to top the previous films with a new superweapon or uber Sith Lord or something along those lines. I hope they keep the basics (Jacen Jaina and Anakin and at least Ben, I wouldn't mind if they gave Luke extra children)

Also if they kill Wedge, I'm done.

19. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003

And what if Wedge isn't played by Lawson?

20. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Depends who they get.

Like they should totally get Ewan McGregor. Family connections and all and he did say he wanted to be back.

21. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    YOU SHUT YOUR MOUTH

22. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001

Fixed.

23. Todd the Jedi

Oct 16, 2008
    Point Given 16. If you could be any non-human species from SW, what would you like to be?

17. If you could choose one Force power to have IRL, which one would it be and why?

24. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

SPIDER DUCK!!!

Tough time choosing between Mind Trick and Force Speed. Mind Trick would be cool to get out of things and save money. "I already paid for this!" but Force Speed means I can sleep longer before having to get up before work since I can get there quickly. It would also save me a lot of money for the subway.

I guess Mind Trick would win out in the end, cause I'm evil.

Rogue_Follower likes this.
  25. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Wait, you mean you wouldn't want the power to determine exactly the point of conception for female Jedi like Etain?

I'm shocked!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.