main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Literature member interviews

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Point Given , Jun 6, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CooperTFN

CooperTFN TFN EU Staff Emeritus star 7 VIP

Jul 8, 1999
    10. Anyone who's read the last week's worth of the social thread already knows the answer to that. :p

Briefly, yes I watch it, and I enjoy it a great deal, but I'm totally conscious of both A, how much deeper the world is in novel form, and B, how much HBO plays up certain, um, elements, for the sake of its traditional audience. I often have to remind people around here that I am not normally a serious SFF fan, and something's got to really stand out for me to devote my time to it. I see the show as a nice primer to the universe that will ultimately allow me to make an educated decision about whether the novels are worth a year or so of my life (I'm a very slow reader). The last thing I want to do is change mediums midstream, through, so I wouldn't even think about reading the books until the show has concluded--I just hope the last book is actually out by then.

2. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    I wouldn't count on it.

Jedi Ben likes this.
  3. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Well even if they don't keep splitting the books in half, there are what, three and a half to go? That's four years--not crazy, even for Martin. Though Scott Pilgrim proved that they could be perfectly happy to take his outline and move ahead without him.

4. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    His current estimate for the number of books left in the series may be considered...inadequate...given the pace of the last book.

CooperTFN likes this.
  5. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Martin actually has mentioned that if he doesn’t "get around to" finishing the story that the show has his permission to do so and that he gave them an outline for the ending.

6. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Continued this line of thought back in the social thread; didn't want this one to get crazy.

7. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    11. Who are your favorite authors (in Star Wars and out).?

12. You've had that avatar for a while. Why do you like seeing Tycho get hit in the face? :p

8. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    No way, not even Erikson is now doing a book a year, Martin certainly won't so you're probably looking at 6-9 years, 2-3 years per book!

9. cthugha

cthugha Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 24, 2010
    a) that would be so awesome
    b) you do mean Pius Dea, right? (Because I was just reading about the real Opus Dei, and this got me kind of confused at first :p)

10. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    11. I have one favorite author: Kurt Vonnegut. I was inspired to read Sirens of Titan after a reference to it in Y - The Last Man, and no other non-SW author has actually gotten me to pick up other books of theirs purely because they're the one who wrote them--I think thirteen and counting so far. On that note, the only SW author whose non-SW work I've been motivated to read is Stover, in the form of Heroes Die. I want to keep going with the Caine books eventually, but per my Game of Thrones answer, fantasy doesn't come easily to me. Reading Heroes Die took me three months, and when I saw how long Blade of Tyshalle was, I knew I'd be taking a while to get around to it. Beyond Stover, Stackpole obviously has had a big impact on me and I hate that he hasn't been around for so long, though Allston is nothing to sneeze at himself. I appreciate what Luceno does more than I am totally enamored of his storytelling, and I appreciate what Reaves and Perry do even if their overall quality has been patchy lately. JJM has yet to make a single misstep despite having, I think, the broadest résumé of SW work ever. Randy is really knocking Dark Times out of the park--and honestly, that goes for the entire DH lineup right now. Last but not least, if Sean Stewart ever wrote another SW book I would pay $100 for it without blinking.

12. While the actual icon is, apparently, lost to time, I was Tycho at the old forums as well--this is the best version of the image I can find. He may not have been my very first avatar, but certainly as long as I can remember. Aside from just being a fan of the character generally (I was probably working my way through the XWRS TPBs at the time, which gives you an idea of how long ago this would have been), and of he and Winter specifically (in my defense, I was a teenager), I may have chosen him specifically because I have dirty blonde hair myself, and he always stood out to me as one of the few major male characters in SW outside of Luke himself (again, his prominent role in the comics may have helped there). Someone has to speak up for the blonde, blue-eyed white guys, am I right?

As for the current image, I dunno--I just thought it was more interesting than a plain ol' yearbook photo-looking thing, while keeping with my tradition. And I'd like to think it's a subtle indicator that I don't take myself and my statements here too seriously, though not everyone seems to pick up on that.

11. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    :oops:

I mean, how dare you! Obviously, I meant the real Opus Dei finds a portal and invades the GFFA. Duh. [face_whistling]

12. Rogue_Follower

Rogue_Follower Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2003
    Re: blonde dudes in Star Wars. Aves doesn't get nearly enough love.

[​IMG]

13. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    I don't even remember who that is.

14. Gorefiend

Gorefiend Chosen One star 5

Oct 23, 2004

Karrdes third in Command. ;)

15. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Is that his first name, surname, or is he like Zsinj a guy with only one name? Even Wookieepedia doesn't have an answer.

16. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    We don't know.

17. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    How about the last big SW Encyclopedia?

18. The Loyal Imperial

Nov 19, 2007
    We still don't know.

19. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    Surely they can't expect us to go on like this.

Who are we talking about again?

20. Sinrebirth

Sinrebirth Mod-Emperor of the EUC, Lit, RPF and SWC star 10 Staff Member Manager

Nov 15, 2004
    Speaking of which, I miss Avan.

21. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    13. What was your reaction when Disney announced their purchase of Lucasfilm and plans to make the sequel trilogy?. Has your opinion changed since then?

14. What are your hopes for the sequel trilogy? What do you think about the selection of J.J. Abrams and Michael Arndt for director and screenwriter?

22. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    13. My immediate reaction was this. My second-most-immediate reaction was this. I stand by both.

14. Per #13, I think Empire and Jedi prove that a Star Wars movie not written by George can only be an improvement. I can understand how Trek fans might see JJ Abrams' directorial efforts as somewhat...let's say, shallow...but Michael Arndt is absolutely a fantastic writer, and I'd be excited to see Abrams take on material from outside the usual Bad Robot family even if it wasn't SW. I'm at peace with whatever it ends up meaning for the EU, but I would much prefer the ST to just do its own thing entirely and perhaps take elements from the EU (which I think is inevitable no matter what) than to match up 90% with the EU, but be just different enough to keep it all from hanging together properly--in other words, the TCW approach. Ultimately, as much as I love continuity, I love Star Wars more, and if it feels like Star Wars, I'm sure I'll enjoy it. Amalgamation is at the very core of what makes SW work, and perfect consistency is impossible because we are ourselves inconsistent. Anyone who believes in absolute continuity lost that war the second the SEs came out.

23. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    15. What are your favorite video games? Is there a certain genre you prefer?

16. What are your favorite books outside of Star Wars? Are you more of a fiction or non-fiction kind of guy?

24. CooperTFN

Jul 8, 1999
    15. With as little free time as I have, I'm an intermittent and not totally attentive video game player--at most I play maybe 6 or 7 games per year, and they tend to jump around a lot stylistically. My favorite games are Starfox 64, Shadow of the Colossus, and XWA, which shows you what I'm talking about. My most recent big franchise "discovery" was Uncharted, so if you can look at what Naughty Dog is doing as its own genre, I'd say that's the one that's most exciting to me right now--and man, 1313 would have been sweet if it was half as good as Uncharted 2. I love the Assassin's Creed games, but I waxed and waned on buying Brotherhood and Relevation for a long time, and now I'm trying to catch up on them before I get into 3, but it's been slow going. I am also the worst Splinter Cell player on the planet, but I love the story and manage to get through all of them sooner or later. Last but not least, I am a resolute Valve acolyte and am still waiting patiently for Half-Life 3 (or Episode 3, or whatever the hell), though the Portals were an awesome diversion. I guess the one thing that unites most of the games I like is strong storytelling--I'm a single player narrative type of guy; no deathmatches for me.

16. My favorite book of any kind is Watchmen. Period. Next is Cat's Cradle, my favorite Vonnegut book, and that's as far as I rank anything. Anything Vonnegut is up there, obviously, plus Fahrenheit 451, Cloud Altas, Kavalier and Clay, High Fidelity...I want to read more Bradbury and Hornby, but I've only read a couple from each thus far. Chabon is intermittently interesting. I've never touched Stephen King other than Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption, but I plan to pick up 11/22/63 after I get a couple more SW books out of the way. As Watchmen should indicate, I don't make much of a distinction between graphic novels and regular ones, and some of my favorites there are Walking Dead, Y - The Last Man, Scott Pilgrim, V for Vendetta, and Alias. My monthly titles are mostly either Marvel or SW, but Image has been encroaching more and more into my longbox lately, and Saga is far and away my favorite current series--the first trade is only nine bucks, people! It's not too late! As for fiction vs. non-fiction, I think this list speaks for itself, but I am a huge political buff (hence the blog) and I spend as much time reading Chuck Todd, Nate Silver, Ezra Klein, and the Atlantic as I do any traditional books.

Mia Mesharad likes this.
  25. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    Stephen King is hit or miss for me, but I definitely recommend Salem's Lot and The Dead Zone. Also if you like Naughty Dog, their newest game The Last of Us, is getting rave reviews.

17. If you could re-do canon post NJO, what choices would you make, if any?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.