main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Live What You Learn-AU Obi-Wan/Anakin/OC Complete 8/9!!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by obi_ew, Jan 6, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. obi_ew

obi_ew Jedi Master star 5

Apr 14, 2002
    Title Live What You Learn

Author obi_ew

Timeframe PT

Characters Obi-Wan, Anakin, Original character- Eitan Delano

Genre AU

Summary The Force is determined to intertwine the lives of Obi-Wan and Anakin, regardless of what others decide.

Special thanks To Shanobi for providing the yummy plot bunnies that spawned this. :)

note As part of my learning experiment, I'm not sure how often this will be updated.

[image=http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y10/eitansowner/oe_live6.jpg]

Jedi Master Eitan Delano. Winner in the Summer 2004 awards for Saga Best Original Character.

Cover art by Altaira . [face_love]

Prologue

"It....it?s too late."

"No!"

Struggling to draw another pained breath, deep creases of pain radiating out from his eyes, Qui-Gon slowly lifted a trembling finger and gently traced the young man?s lips. A small affectionate smile briefly tilted the edges of his mouth, blue eyes filled for the last time with a bright spark of love.

"Obi-Wan. Promise, promise me you?ll train the boy," he prodded the young man in a voice that was rapidly loosing strength.

Tears filled the luminous kaleidoscope orbs, a sob causing the young Jedi?s chest to rise sharply as he fought to maintain a strong veneer. "Yes Master," he replied, the tremble in his voice belying his efforts.

Qui-Gon willed his apprentice to hold his gaze, allowing the young man to see how much he believed in him by requesting something so important.

"He is the Chosen One. He will bring balance."

Eyes growing too heavy to keep open, Qui-Gon Jinn began to release his physical self into the Force?s warm and waiting embrace. He didn?t fear his death, knowing that his legacy would live on in Obi-Wan. His only regret was never being able to gaze into the young man?s bright intelligent eyes again, or hear that cultured voice raised in laughter and song. Never again being touched by the incredibly pure and noble spirit of his beloved padawan.

"Train him," he urged his apprentice one last time.

Arms tightened around him desperately, a muffled sob reaching his ears as he felt himself slipping away. A gentle rocking motion comforted him as he released his last breath; his soul flying up to join those who had gone on before him in the Force.

While he found final peace, the one left behind found himself burdened with a grief that would linger for some time.

{Remember. Remember all you have learned ,my beloved Obi-Wan.}

It was the time of day where all initiates and padawans were busy in classes, knights on leave either relaxing or off practicing their lightsabre skills or katas. It allowed the lone individual that sat on a marble bench a rare chance to spend time alone to evaluate all that had happened recently; the roar of the distant waterfalls acting as a soothing backdrop for his thoughts.

A gentle breeze moved through the Gardens where many Jedi came to meditate and find their center, bringing with it the faint smells that had brought a sense of comfort over the years. Tilting his head back, long reddish gold lashes fell as he inhaled the sweet aroma of the flowers that swayed in the wind and the more earthy fragrance of the fresh cut grass and the dirt that gave it life.

They reminded him of his childhood. A time of innocence and learning when he had believed, as much of the galaxy did, that Jedi never died. He could recall vividly the times he knelt in this very spot and listened wide eyed as the creche master regaled the class with tales of the knights that had lived and battled the Sith in generations long past. They had been led to believe that the Sith were weak and to be pittied for having lost their way on the path of Light.

A brief cynical laugh escaped his lips. He was now all too aware that those lessons had been greatly misleading. The Sith were not only incredibly powerful, but they were willing to do whatever it took in order to achieve

2. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Wahoo! First reply!

Beautiful, OE. You've certainly taken your resolution to add more description to heart - I could picture it all as I read it. I think that was the best flashback I've read of those last moments that Qui and Obi had together. I'm glad you saw it like I did - that Qui wasn't saying what he did to be hurtful, but rather that he was trusting the person he loved most with an important responsibility. I loved the last paragraph about being comforted by the gentle rocking as his soul moved upwards.

Beautiful work, OE - you've outdone yourself. Can't wait for more, but take care of yourself and your family first. :)

Shaindl

3. VadeyFan2002

VadeyFan2002 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2002
    Hi there, obi_ew!
    First reply on your new fic? I must be lucky today.

I will follow this of course as well as I'm able to at the moment.

[face_love] Vadey

Edit: Of course, while I wrote this reply , I was beaten to it. I'm typing is too slow.

4. Bekah_K

Bekah_K Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 3, 2002
    That was wonderful o_e! :)

I especially liked this description:

Tears filled the luminous kaleidoscope orbs...

That describes his eyes perfectly.

What Obi-Wan was feeling, all his mixed emotions of certainty and uncertainty concerning his life: past - his childhood, what they were taught concerning the sith and the duel where he lost Qui-Gon; present - awaiting the Council's decision and how Anakin had found a way into his heart, even if a corner; and future - his hesitation where Anakin's training is concerned and the danger he feels there, were all clearly felt.

Can't wait for more!

~Bek

5. Seraphena

Seraphena Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 20, 2003
    Possitively Wonderful. Very descriptive.

hope everything is going well.

:D

6. LuvEwan

LuvEwan Jedi Master star 4

Mar 24, 2002
    What a beautiful first post, o_e. :) Your writing was wonderful before, and it continues to be with these stirring descriptions. I especially liked your description of his eyes blurring. Perfect. ;) Can't wait to see where this is going. Hope everything is going well for you. [face_love]

7. astroanna

astroanna Jedi Master star 4

Jul 8, 2002
    A new obi-ew fic! YAY!!!

:)

Great beginning, obi-ew, and I'll definitely be around for this one!

:)

BTW, Linkin Park never fails to provide a good title, do they? :D

8. dianethx

dianethx Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 1, 2002
    Excellent. I really liked your use of description and the flow of words. The touching scene between Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan was very close to how I picture the scene and then thoughts behind it.

And now we will find out about what the Council thinks.

Keep it up but, always,always put your family first. Hope your husband is feeling better.

9. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    I was thrilled to see your new story on the boards tonight oe. The first post was stunning and I loved the way you described Qui-Gon's death. I eagerly look forward to more. :)

10. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    You captured the moment perfectly in that flashback. :( And then Obi-Wan's uncertainty about his future, his decisions...his friends greeting him...that was just wonderful!

I can't wait to see more of this learning experiment!

11. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    that was sad, but sweet.

12. shanobi

shanobi Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 11, 2001
    I totally agree with everyone else, that flashback was GREAT! You did a wonderful job with that, so much that it gave me a wonderful warm feeling - as I sit here waiting for the woodstove to heat up in my 17 degree weather at 6:30 in the morning :) Ugh! That's what I get for living in New England.

Anyways, you are off to a lovely start. I loved it all - Qui's farewell, Obi's grief, Anakin's uncertainty, Bant's sympathy, and I just love when anyone includes the rest of the gang-Garen and Reeft. I could just imagine the three of them meeting Obi and sharing his grief. I will check back as often as I can, as I, along with everyone else i'm sure, is very curious as to where you're going to go with this.

--Shan

13. tvdunlop

tvdunlop Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 15, 2003
    this is an excellent story, i really like how you wrote the characters, i could feel all of their emotions. Please keep writing

14. diamond_pony2002

diamond_pony2002 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 6, 2002
    Now, o_e, you know what I think of this already! IT'S AWESOME!!!!!! AND ANI/OBI!!!!!!! I'M STICKING AROUND!!!!!!!!

15. lkl

lkl Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2003
    Great job. I'm looking forward to months of great story telling...

16. Darth_Leia_6669

Darth_Leia_6669 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 26, 2003
    If this is the result of your resolution, then I'd have to say you are doing great! Excellant even! *don't mind me, I'm in one of my weird moods again!* You captured everything so wonderfully! Can't wait for more *even though I must!*

--later--
    6669 [face_devil]

17. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    I'm really impressed, obi_ew. That was one of the most exciting starts to a story that I've read in quite some time. I can't wait to learn what the council ruled about Anakin. :)

18. JadeSolo

JadeSolo Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 20, 2002
    Well, well, it looks like someone has been sticking to their resolutions! :D And now I've got that song stuck in my head. Anakin in a sea of strangers was such a sad image! Great job, obi_ew :)

19. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Shaindl I have froggy to thank for pointing out several lame spots. :) I believe that Qui trusted his apprentice to do a good job.

Vadey I hope you can keep up. :)

Bekah Those eyes of his are certainly inspirational. [face_love]

Seraphena I'm thrilled you enjoyed it.

LE The blurry eyes came about thanks to froggy's prodding. ;) I'm honored you enjoy my writing.

astro I thought maybe I could slip that title by you all. I should have known better! :p

diane Hubby is doing better. Thanks for the concern. :) I've always seen that lip touch as a clear indication of just how much they loved one another.

Sheila I was kinda afraid that everyone would think I was just reciting the movie. Glad it held up. :D

Red [face_blush] You're reading one of my fics?! I'm so nervous now!

PK Thank you for always reading and replying. [face_love]

Shan I have you to thank once again for inspiring me. [face_love] Love your fic by the way!

tvdunlop Nice to meet you. :) Hope I can keep you coming back for more.

dp Lots of Obikin mush ahead I bet! :p

IKL So glad to see you. This will be a challenge for me to keep up! :eek:

DL Yes! Wait you must! :p

Sara_Kenobi [face_blush] Thank you! Next post will reveal the Council's thoughts.

Jade What song? :p These resolutions will be tough to maintain!

Thanks to all of you for giving this a look see. Hope to get a new posty up in a few days. :)

20. VadeyFan2002

VadeyFan2002 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 30, 2002
    Have to lift this up from page 4! :eek:

21. obi_ew

Apr 14, 2002
    Vadey Thanks for digging this up! :D

CHAPTER TWO

Stepping before the Council still had the power to make him uneasy, even after nearly twelve years of being Qui-Gon?s apprentice. Force knew that his late mentor?s inability to follow the Council?s wishes had landed them here on countless occasions and under less favorable situations than he now faced. There was one major difference that made today vastly different than those other times. Today, he stood here alone.

That thought had him once again struggling to blink back the ever present sting of the tears that now seemed to be his constant companions. It was such a foreign and uncomfortable feeling to be standing here with their full attention focused on him alone. There should have been a towering muscle of man dwarfing his much smaller frame, allowing him to remain inconspicuous in the regal Jedi?s shadow. His shattered heart ached a little bit more at the realization that he was truly on his own now.

Tucking his hands into the sleeves of his robe, Obi-Wan straightened from his bow and faced the assembled Jedi Masters with a firm resolve. As his gaze swept the circle of powerful Force users, he marveled yet again at the years of wisdom and strength in the Force that was gathered before him. These were some of the wisest and most skilled Jedi to ever serve the Order. The thought of coming before them alone was daunting. The very air around him was charged with the incredible power harnessed by these individuals, making him feel slightly lightheaded. He tightened his shielding, trying deflect some of the powerful current swirling through the room.

Coruscant's sun shone through the wide windows that circled the room behind the row of Jedi, causing the inlaid star he stood upon to cast his shadow on the highly polished floor directly in front of Master Yoda. He could feel their eyes resting upon him, an array of emotions directed at him. Expecting the waves of sorrow and sympathy that drifted to carress him, a frown furrowed his brow as he briefly felt a flare of what appeared to be anger from one of them. A quick sweep of their faces revealed no hint of what he had sensed.

Gathering himself, he forced himself to meet the slanted eyes of Master Yoda. The little gnome?s ancient eyes studied him with affection and a hint of sorrow in their wizened depths.

"A decision we have made, Obi-Wan. Difficult it was," Master Yoda admitted with a faint sigh as he leant on his gimmer stick.

Drawing in a sharp breath at the words, Obi-Wan swallowed through a tight throat as he awaited their decree. His senses had been warning him all day that they would not vote in his favor. No matter what the outcome, their decision would have a major impact on his future. Focusing his attention on the matter at hand, he braced himself as Master Yoda continued.

"Very skilled and powerful you are, Obi-Wan. One day soon a great Jedi Knight you will be," Yoda began, his pointed ears dropping slightly. "Too young and green you are to take on the responsibility for one as powerful and untrained as young Skywalker however. Denied your request is."

Although a part of him had been expecting this, it still had the power to hit him like a blow to the stomach. Shoulders hunching a little as if he had taken an unexpected punch, Obi-Wan?s lips parted slightly as he drew in a calming breath of air. Watching as the young man fought to maintain his calm, Mace Windu sat forward in order to address him.

"Obi-Wan, this in no way is a negative reflection on you. After much discussion, we came to the decision that to join you and Anakin at this point would be unfair to the both of you. You need to have the opportunity to go out on your own and find your own place in the Order. Saddling you with an apprentice would be a great disservice to you and the boy," he explained in a compassionate voice. "You are much too young for such an undertaking. We feel that Anakin would profit more from having an older father like figure to guide him. You would be more like a brot

22. Shaindl

Shaindl Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    Ah, the decision the Council should have made in TPM! Lovely how you included Mace. There's a character that needs more exploration, especially his years growing up with Qui. I'll be interested to see how Anakin takes the news.

Great job, OE! More when you can would be lovely. :)

Shaindl

23. Sheila

Sheila Jedi Master star 4

Oct 6, 2002
    I liked the way you handled this scene with the Council and Obi-Wan's final acceptance that he would not be the best choice as Anakin's master as he was still trying to accept Qui-Gon's death and his new role as knight. I wonder how Anakin will react to the news. I love this story already oe. :)

24. PadawanKitara

PadawanKitara Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 31, 2001
    I absolutely agree Shaindl. But it begs the question- would having a different master prevented Anakin's turn? Most of the discussion I have come across seemed to think that fate was fate. In other words a different master would have made no difference. The twist here is that if Obi-Wan acts as a big brother figure, would Anakin go to him for counsel and advice instead of Palpy? To me that is the crux of the issue.

25. red rose knight

red rose knight Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 3, 2001
    I loved that scene with the Council and especially Mace. That is what should have happened. :( Obi-Wan's reaction to the news was perfect, that expectant shock.

I do worry how Anakin is going to react to the news though. How long do we have to wait for the next post?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.