main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Looking for help/tips to track an element into a scene....

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Joel_K, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Joel_K

Joel_K Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 22, 2007
    Hello folks,

It's been quite a while since I've posted anything. I come to you now at my wits end as I am having trouble with what I thought would be a relatively simple visual effect.

What I am attempting to do is to track a still image from a separate scene onto the sketch pad that my actor is drawing on. The still image is manipulated to look like a drawing so that once the sketch pad fills the frame I can then transition from the "drawing look" to the scene that the still-image was taken from. Does that make sense?

Here is a link to the clip for reference:

Password: motiontrack

I tried to use Mocha for the tracking data(because I thought the planar tracking method might be more effective) but I couldn't get the orientation to translate correctly in to AE. So I tried using The Foundry's CameraTracker which gave me a pretty good track but it's not perfect and so I tried fixing where the track went off but that seemed to do more damage than anything else.

It has been a while since I've had to use these VFX muscles so I'm a little rusty. And I can't help but feel that there should be an easier way to accomplish this. So I call to you, in all your wisdom and experience, for any suggestions and tips that could help me overcome this obstacle.