main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lord of the Rings music... Gosh, I love it!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Oct 28, 2001.

1. sithgoblin3

sithgoblin3 Jedi Youngling star 3

May 4, 2001
    Does anyone know what the music is that play's in the Lord of the Rings tv ads?

2. Sithman

Sithman Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 6, 1999
    Couldja be more specific? :D

3. sithgoblin3

May 4, 2001
    You know, the ads that introduce the members of the fellow ship and such. I think you can get them from aint it cool news is you havn't seen them. I mean the music at the end of those ads.

4. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Ooooo, I downloaded one track from the FOTR soundtrack. I'm asking for the whole score for Christmas, and I don't to spoil the whole thing, so I'm JUST going to listen to this one track.

I downloaded "The Bridge of Kazad-Dum". HOLY HAM! This soundtrack is gonna rock! I think I have located the "Fellowship Theme" and it's AWESOME! Actually, for those of of us who live in America, doesn't the Fellowship Theme sound like the "NFL on CBS" football theme? To me it does. :D

5. Son of the Suns

Son of the Suns Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 6, 1999
    "BTW, who was the CD published/released by? Sony?"

Reprise Records, which is part of AOL Time Warner.

I was going to get the CD today, but it cost too much everywhere. Plus they didn't even have the Gandalf cover (which is the one I want) in most places.

6. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    BTW, SotS, is FOTR a 1, or 2 disc set?

\\hopes it's a 2 disc but has a weird feeling that it's only 1\\

7. GriffZ

GriffZ Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 27, 2001
    It's one disc. There's a lot of music missing if the movie's 3 hours... [face_plain]

Anyways, I got the one with Saruman. Chris Lee's a badass. ;)

8. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    There's different covers for the jewel cases? What are the different options?

9. Vaden-Rose

Vaden-Rose Jedi Youngling

Nov 24, 2001
    There's Saruman, Arwen, Bilbo, and Aragorn, I know. . . and I heard there's Gandalf cover and a Frodo cover, but I didn't see them. They're really just insert cards over the real jewel-case cover, but it's still cool.

10. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    But the label on the actual CD is always the same?

BTW, does anyone want to comment on my above thoughts on "The Bridge of Khazad-Dum"?

11. Shmi52

Shmi52 Author of New Jedi Order: Balance Point star 3 VIP

Nov 20, 1999
    I just bought a copy of the FotR soundtrack (NOT the special edition, and I'm grateful to everyone who warned us that was a waste of $$). I've listened to it once, with the exception of #17, "The Breaking of the Fellowship" -- gorgeous! Some years back, I learned to be careful about pre-release music when I bought John Williams' soundtrack to RotJ, fell in love with it, and then found that my prescient knowledge of the film music was a distraction to my enjoyment of the movie! (Thank the Maker, RotJ was a film that stood up well to that kind of distraction)

If I was anxious for December 19 to arrive before I heard this sound track, I'm chewing my fingernails now.

See you in line (I'll be wearing an elven-gray cape),
    Kathy Tyers

12. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Doncha love the "Fellowship Theme" (or at least what I'm guessing it is)? It's so memorable, I've had it stuck in my head for days now. :)

Whoa. You're the person who wrote Balance Point! [face_shocked]

13. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    I just picked up the soundtrack for $13.99 at Borders. That's much cheaper than the $18.99 that it cost in other places. I got the one with the Gandalf card/cover, which like I said, was the one I wanted. Looking forward to listening to it later.

14. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    I just read about 50 pages in FOTR (I'm re-reading it) and I just read the whole "A Journey in the Dark" (Moria). Man, after reading that, then listening to the soundtrack for that section, it is truely cool. :D

15. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Hi Sithman --

So far I've tried not to get any of the themes stuck in my head, but the temptation to listen again is strong.

What do you (general question, plural pronoun) think of sitar music in Lothlorien? My first reaction was "No, no, no! I wanted celtic harp or hammer dulcimer here!" I'm still not sure I like it, but it will definitely make the place seem otherworldly, the Elves seem ancient and mysterious.

Yup, BP-are-us.

Good forum, good thread.

Kathy

16. Mastadge

Mastadge Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 4, 1999
    I LIIIIKE IT!!!!

This is great. I want the OTHER two hours to be released now!!!

17. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Shmi, actually, I've restrained myself to only downloading *ONE* track of the score. I don't want to hear more of it until I watch the movie and get the whole CD for Christmas. I tell ya, it's hard though. :)

18. Shmi52

Nov 20, 1999
    Now that's self-control! :)

Only 24 days . . .

19. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Where can I find the music? I'm dying to hear it. I finished reading the first book for the fourth time yesterday on my trip back from Boston, I got the Official Guide to the movie for my birthday (today), and I am dying to hear the music.

20. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    where can you find the music? Just about any music store. :D

21. Son of the Suns

May 6, 1999
    When I first listened to the CD early in the morning, I was somewhat dissapointed. It was nothing like I expected the score to a Lord of the Rings movie to sound like. But then certain events happened throughout the day, and I was pretty desperate to listen to good music. And on the second listen.... it really delivered.

My favorite tracks, in no particular order:

"The Bridge of Khazad-Dum" - A triumphant version of the "Fellowship Theme" starts off what may be the best action cue of the year.

"The Council of Elrond" - Enya's contributions add a lot to the score, IMHO. Her "Aniron theme for Arwen and Aragorn" on this track is a good example of that.

"Concerning Hobbits" - It may sound silly at first, but this is the most melodic cue and a very enjoyable one at that. Very classical sounding.

"The Breaking of the Fellowship" - Almost completely devoid of the darkness of the rest of the score, this seamlessly segues into...

"May It Be" - It may not the completely original, but this Enya piece perfectly captures the LOTR feel. And it ends with a great final performance of the "Fellowship Theme".

"Lothlorien" - An ethereally beautiful cue. I agree with Shmi52 that those instruments would've been preferrable, but I don't really mind the sitars at all.

"The Ring Goes South", "The Great River" and "The Prophecy" were also memorable. The rest of the tracks have their moments, but don't really go anywhere.

I'm not sure how this score ranks when compared to my other favorites of this year and I won't even think about that until I see the movie. All I'll say is that I liked it quite a lot on my second listen and I can't wait to hear what the rest of this score (and its sequels) sounds like.

22. Sithman

Jul 6, 1999
    Gah! I want to hear all those tracks!

Right now, restraining myself is very, very hard........ ARGH!

23. Jeff 42

Jeff 42 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 14, 1998
    I just finished listening to the CD for I think the third time in its entirety since I bought it. It is an incredible score that just draws you in so deeply with its beautiful, triumphant, and haunting themes. Right now I'd say it's my favorite movie score since TPM's, if not (gasp!) even longer than that. I can't wait to see how it goes with the movie.

24. sithgoblin3

May 4, 2001
    I love The Black Rider... the begining when their all walking and feeling merry... it's just such a great tune! Then the way it turns into a scary track... I love this score!!

25. bright sith

bright sith Jedi Knight star 5

Aug 27, 1999
    Now that I've listened to it a lot more times, the complete wholeness of the score is only standing out even more. Really, I think for those who have only listened to it a couple of times, you might feel that some tracks are too similar to others, or that some have too little thematic development, but it works as one piece of music perhaps more so than any other this year. That being said, once you listen to it more than a few times, each individual track also grabs you. Tracks like Many Meetings (which has the longest performance of the Fellowship theme I believe) or The Black Rider didn't instantly jump out at me when first listening to them, but they only cook better and better each time around.