main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lord of the Rings music... Gosh, I love it!

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Sithman, Oct 28, 2001.

1. Emperor's Prize

Emperor's Prize Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 17, 1999
    Does anyone else think that the Gondor theme is one of the most majestic themes in film music history? Its introduction in "The Great Eye" (FOTR CR) was simply masterful. And to hear it in its full majesty in the ROTK CR is something that I am greatly anticipating.

2. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Yes I love the Gondor theme.

3. Cerrabore

Cerrabore Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2004
    Eh, it's good. Like "Gerudo Valley" from The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time, I don't understand its overwhelming popularity. I think fans of it just approach listening differently than I do.

4. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    Lately I stopped crying at every little tear-moment, but the lighting of the beacons still gets me like almost no other

That wouldn't work with, say, the Transformers score :p

edit: oh, and I contributed to society: I made amazon.de change the name of the article to the proper one and also had them list Howard Shore instead of simply "Various" :p

5. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I just said I love it, I didn't say it was even my favorite LOTR theme.

6. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
  7. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Darth_Vader-Anakin Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 22, 2002
    Well, I love it, and wouldn't mind making love to it.

:p

8. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
  9. Emperor's Prize

Jun 17, 1999
    Heh ... I had no idea that the Gondor Theme enjoyed "overwhelming popularity." But if so, that's cool.

Oh ... and for the record, I do enjoy "Gerudo Valley" quite a bit, as well.

:cool:

10. Cerrabore

Jan 17, 2004
    In my readings of forums, YouTube, etc. I've found that these themes are generally the most popular from their scores.

11. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I would say that the Fellowship theme is the most popular theme from LOTR.

12. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    I always thought the Shire theme and its various iterations was the most popular.

13. darth_paul

darth_paul Jedi Master star 5

Apr 24, 2000
    I can appreciate a lot of the other themes, but there's just nothing that can get my blood pumping like the Fellowship theme can. It's the standout from among the trilogy, and affects me at least as much as such general gems as the Raiders March.

-Paul

14. TwiLekJedi

TwiLekJedi Pretty Ex-Mod star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2001
    "Moth Theme" > everything else

15. Emperor's Prize

Jun 17, 1999
    Thanks for the insight. I was unaware of that. My assumption had always been that it was the Fellowship Theme that tended to be most popular.

:cool:

16. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    I'd wager that at least with the regulars in this forum, that the Gondor theme is not the most popular.

17. PadmeLover1991

PadmeLover1991 Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 22, 2005
    I admit it may not be the most popular, but it's my favourite by far. The lighting of the beacons in ROTK just made me fall in love with it, its a brilliant piece of music (I still get chills down my spine whenever I watch that scene now, 4 years on. I hope it never dies on me).

If this one wasn't my favourite it would be the Fellowship, or maybe the Hobbit theme from FotR. The Isengard theme, throughout the first two was powerful too.

Are you referring to the "Nature Theme" or "Nature's Reclamation"? Used in the March of the Ents and when Gandalf talks to the moth on top of Orthanc?

18. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Nature's Reclamation

Master_Ysagon likes this.
  19. PadmeLover1991

Mar 22, 2005
    Ok, thought so. Reading about people's favourite themes has really got me in the mood to listen to the CR sets again, not that I'll get round to it though. I haven't listened to them in ages (except for TTT CR disc 3).

20. Darth_Vader-Anakin

Jul 22, 2002
    Another excellent theme.

My favorite theme is easily the Hobbit's Understanding Theme. Shore uses it very sparingly which makes it incredibly impactful and emotional whenever it's present.

EDIT:

Streamingsoundtracks is now playing the ROTK CR "by request". It's not great quality, but you can hear some of it now.

21. Emperor's Prize

Jun 17, 1999
    The lighting of the beacons is indeed a powerful moment, perfectly accentuated by the Gondor Theme. But as I insinuated above, I truly fell in love with the Gondor Theme when listening to "The Great Eye" from the FOTR:CR. It's the subtle, mournful presentation of the theme that really drove home, to me at least, just how good it is.

22. PadmeLover1991

Mar 22, 2005
    To be honest, I didn't realise it was the same theme which was used during the council of elrond (at first). I think I remember Howard Shore or one of the production crew saying that the "Gondor Theme" was written for the third movie, so I thought it wasn't therefore the same one used in the Fellowship. That was until in a documentary on the RotK EE, Shore IIRC said he'd used the theme during the council scene. So I think there must have been some crossed wires there. Then again I might have heard wrong.

Either way, I agree that the way it was played out in the council scene was beautiful too. The way it was played as if Gondor was dying, which it was doing at the time.

23. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    The theme was written before the first film. It was intended to be used primarily in the third film, as that is when Gondor figures prominently in the story, but the theme was composed during the work before the first film was scored. Shore used it in the first film as Boromir talks about Gondor. It fits there and is wonderful. It was not even Extended Edition footage, it was in the original theatrical version.

24. PadmeLover1991

Mar 22, 2005
    Oh yes, I realised that. I was just hearing mixed things about what had happened.

Beautiful rendition of the Gondor theme, on the french horn wasn't it? Or something along those lines.

25. Strilo

Aug 6, 2001
    Yeah that bit is wonderful. A real highlight of the more subtle moments in the score.