main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LOTR- The Two Towers

Discussion in 'Archive: Milwaukee, WI' started by MiladyJ, Nov 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Skywalker1138

Skywalker1138 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 7, 2002
    Return of the King Spoilers (and Star Wars gets reference):

Promising to be the most spectacular of the three films, Jackson has had to pull out all the stops for the climax, including the enhancement of the film's principal villain, the dark lord Sauron. "The Sauron in the books is sketchy at best, which makes it hard to turn him into a screen villain," says Jackson. "But imagine not really seeing Darth Vader for all three Star Wars films. You just can't do it." It's fair to say that the dark lord will have an increased presence in Jackson's adaptation, rather than being restricted to his role so far, that of a disembodied eye, but the question plaguing Jackson and his crew has been how best to represent the lord of Mordor? "You can't reduce him to being a big guy striding around in black armour, but he cannot be limited to a flaming eye, either."

Sauron's henchman, the Mouth of Sauron, will also make his debut in the third film, bedecked in a large helmet that conceals all of his face except his nose and decomposing jaws. Likewise, we'll be introduced to Boromir's father, Denethor, the Steward of Gondor, played by John Noble." "Denethor resents never being king, and Boromir inherited that bitterness," says Noble. "It's what led Boromir to try to steal the Ring in the first film. It is my job to show the humanity of the man, he is literally driven mad by grief and fear."

What we can take for granted is that the action set-pieces, which have multiplied in scope from part one to part two, will reach an all-time high with the final leg of the tale. Jackson promises bigger and better battles that will make the fight for Helm's Deep look like a minor barny down the Rat & Parrot. "The battles will be the biggest you have ever seen," says Jackson of the third film. "We have a piece of software that allows us to have 200,000 computer-generated extras fight each other. You simply press a button, sit back and watch these enormous battles unfold before your eyes."

The final scene of the film, which takes place across the landscape of the Grey Havens is tipped by the director to be his favourite of all three films, the high point of the story and what everything has been working towards. "To me, it's a culmination of the entire story," he says." It represents what it is to give and what it is to lose. That scene is probably the most powerful part of the entire film."

PS. By the way, Superman V is on it's way into production with only a "great director" on board that we know of so far.

2. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    More Spoilers:
    "The Return of the King," will be inching toward the 3-1/2-hour mark. "It will be as long as it needs to be," says director Peter Jackson, who is busy editing the film right now. "The third is my favorite one in the trilogy. It's almost biblical and makes me cry. It's about incredible courage and the last part of it is just mind-boggling."

3. Figrin_D_an

Figrin_D_an Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    For those of you interested in the history and additional back story of "The Lord of the Rings", look into reading "The Silmarillion" and Tolkien's book of "Unfinished Tales." If you haven't read The Lord of the Rings yet, though, read those first... there are a lot of details that get passed over in the films, and the appendicies following The Return of the King are useful as well.

Thomas Shippey wrote a new book that came out in 2000, I think, about Tolkien's life and his work. I personally haven't read it, but I've heard it is quite good.

As for TTT film... twas good. Some changes/additions worked quite well (Elves at Helm's Deep, Sam slipping down the cliff at the Black Gates), some I didn't really care for that much (one too many Arwen/Aragorn flashbacks, Osgiliath). Very good film though. As an adaption of Tolkien's work, which is key to keep in mind, it did quite well. It certainly has supplanted the Star Wars Prequels, IMO, in the anticipation department.

oh yeah... and... hi. I haven't been around in quite some time. Did I miss anything? :p

4. SySnootles

SySnootles Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 13, 2002
    I really need to see this again. I'm thinking Friday afternoon. I'd like to see it at the Ultrascreen in Waukesha. Maybe there's a 2o'clock-ish show. Anyone want to join me?

5. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    I'm in.

6. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    Sorry Catie, I'll be at work, otherwise I'd go.

7. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Yeah, I know it's kind of a bad time for the people who have normal jobs. I was just hoping the moron-to-moviegoer ratio will be in our favor.

8. Auraveda

Auraveda Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 5, 2001
    Oh, I totally understand. I'd rather go to the movies during the day as well. The crowd probably will be much better. If the idiot to intelligent viewer ratio remains constant throughout the day, then it should be a better crowd even if it's only because there will likely be less people in the theater during a weekday afternoon. Have fun!

9. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    I'd go if it were on a Saturday matinae

10. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    Catie, I have the day off of school (it's exams week, and I have nothing on Friday) so I'd be willing to go. I'd just need a ride to and from the theater.

11. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Well I've got nothing better to do...

12. Mauler_II

Mauler_II Jedi Master star 3

Mar 13, 2002
    Hmmmm.....

Perhaps half a vacation day is in order.

The later in the afternoon the better...

13. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Excellent, Liz! I would be happy to be your chauffeure for the day.

Does everyone have off of school? Or is it just you Catholic kids?

14. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Is that the Dan Quayle interpretation of the word?

15. TwistyMaeSkywalker

TwistyMaeSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 3, 2000
    Not everyone has off. My high school has exams this week, so they gave us this Friday and next Monday off. Pretty sweet deal for our first year of having real exams.

Catie, do you need/want directions to my house?

16. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    If anyone also or would prefer to go on a Saturday during the day, I'm going to NorthShore for a matinae show. Haven't selected a time yet.

The matinae times at NorthShore through Thursday are:
    12:00 4:10

I'll have to wait until Friday to post when Friday & Saturday's shows are.

17. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    Yes, Liz, that would be most helpful. Would you be able to hang out for a while afterwords, or do you have to go home right away?

And Tom, I'm assuming you're commenting on my alternative spelling of Chauffeur. It was intentional. Chauffeur is French. It is masculine in gender. I was attempting to use a female version (although truly gammatically incorrect)so to reflect my own gender. Like "comedian" and "commedienne."
    Capice?

18. Mauler_II

Mar 13, 2002
    Are we going to the Westtown Ultracsreen showing?

There seems to be some confusion as to where we are going on the other board...

19. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    I'm confused too.

I know there's a group going on Friday.

I can't be part of that group since I work during the day too.

I'm going on Saturday to NorthShore 'cause it's closest to me in Mequon. If anyone wants to go to a matinae, the invitation stands.

Otherwise, if there's any other group going to a theater on Saturday during the day, where and when are you going?

20. Bishop76

Bishop76 Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 1, 2002
    I think we're going to the Ultrascreen on Friday. Well, at least I hope so.

Jeff

21. Mauler_II

Mar 13, 2002
    Thats what I believe too. Ultrascreen Friday afternoon. Then Chumly's later on.

22. SySnootles

Apr 13, 2002
    WestTowne was the original plan. As for the afterwords, I think that may be still open for discussion. Check the other board for details.

23. TheWampas1138

TheWampas1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2002
    Depends on what time everyone is going. I have to get the Dster to work at 1PM so if it's after 1pm, I'm in as well. And yes, I'll be without the D, contrary to popular belief we can be separated without any ill effects.

M

24. Skywalker1138

Apr 7, 2002
    [image=http://www.salon.com/ent/movies/feature/2002/01/09/lotr_starwars/story.jpg]
    Star Wars versus Lord of the Rings

Lucas has often cited The Lord of the Rings as a major influence on Star Wars. Here are a few of the superficial similarities between the two stories:

Yoda is to Gollum (greenish, raggedy midget with a speech impediment)

Lightsabers are to Magic swords

Obi-Wan Kenobi is to Gandalf

Princess Leia is to Galadriel

Darth Vader/Saruman are to the Black Riders

Emperor Palpatine is to Sauron

Obi-Wan digs Anakin's lightsabre out of an old wooden box, gives to Luke is to Bilbo digs his magic sword out of an old wooden box, gives to Frodo

Darth cuts off Luke's hand, which plunges into the abyss with Luke's lightsabre is to Gollum bites off Frodo's finger, which plunges into the abyss with the One Ring

Yoda foretells the future, and Luke must decide whether to help his friends or not. Yoda warns that he's seen only one possible future... is to Galadriel foretells the future, and Sam must decide whether to help his friends or not. Galadriel warns that she's seen only one possible future.

Darth tries to convince Luke to join the dark side, thereby bringing order to the galaxy is to Saruman tries to convince Gandalf to join the evil wizards, thereby bringing order to Middle Earth

SW: Mundane name and special name (Ben and Obi-Wan)
    LOTR: Mundane name and special name (Strider and Aragorn)

Mysterious figure throws back hood of robe to reveal that he's Obi-Wan is to Mysterious figure throws back hood of robe to reveal that he's Gandalf

Luke: "I shouldn't have come, I'm endangering the mission." (Because Darth can sense him)is to Glorfindel: "It is you, Frodo, and that which you bear that brings us into peril." (Because Sauron can sense the One Ring)

Luke watches from across a chasm as his mentor Obi-Wan duels with Darth Vader using blue and red lightsabres is to Frodo watches from across a chasm as his mentor Gandalf duels with a Balrog using blue and red flaming magic swords

THE CHALLENGE

25. solo414

solo414 Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 28, 2002
    I'd be up for another trip to see TTT. Still going on Friday?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.