main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

BTS Lucas Quotes and Interviews about the starwars saga.

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Keeper_of_Swords, May 22, 2004.

1. NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER

NICHOLAS_SKYWALKER Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 3, 2005
    Hey im interested in what lucas has said about people hating jar jar and what he thinks of it all and everything, and anything about what he has said about jar jar after the release of episode I and the hatred towards him. So is there any quots there about that?

Also what he has said about tons of people hating the love story in episode II. Im interested what he thinks about people hating the things he does :D

2. Keeper_of_Swords

Keeper_of_Swords Jedi Master star 5

Sep 20, 2003

Hey im interested in what lucas has said about people hating jar jar and what he thinks of it all and everything, and anything about what he has said about jar jar after the release of episode I and the hatred towards him. So is there any quots there about that?

From an article from TIME, back during AOTC's run in theaters in 2002, posted by Jedi_Ford_Prefect in this thread?

Lucas blames the anti-Jar Jar sentiment on "37-year-old guys who spend all their time on the Internet. But you have to remember that when we did The Empire Strikes Back, some people hated C-3PO. When we did Jedi, they just loathed the Ewoks. There was no Internet to jazz it up, but there was the same conversation. Fans are very opinionated, and that's good. But I can't make a movie for fans." Nonetheless, Jar Jar has a far less prominent role this time. In movie theaters you will hear a cheer from Binks-ophobes when, as he launches into an anecdote, Padme cursorily cuts him off.

Im interested what he thinks about people hating the things he does

From quotes posted previously in this thread?

"Right or wrong this is my movie, this is my decision, and this is my creative vision, and if people don't like it, they don't have to see it."
    --George Lucas

I'm very proud of all the movies I made. I am very happy with everything I've done. I like to watch my movies. Some of them work. Some of them don't. Some of them people like, most of them they don't.
    And that's all right with you?

It is all right because I like making movies. I like the process. I like trying out new ideas, and if they don't work, they don't work. That's the reason I generated the money in the first place, to be able to try things. That's where I spend my money.

Big-screen industry wags say Phantom Menace will outgross Titanic, plus resuscitate a moribund toy industry; it's now a foregone conclusion you'll have a $100 million opening weekend.

I've never got that involved in the success side of these things. My hope is that the film makes enough money so that I can make a new one. But I don't judge my movies by how well the public accepts them. My own yardstick is, How much have I enjoyed the process and am I proud of the results?

3. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    From http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4548589.stm :

4. AlrikFassbauer

AlrikFassbauer Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 2, 2003
    I have found a *very* interesting interview with GL in a newspaper of Berlin. Need a few days to translate it, though.

Alrik.

5. xoliver

xoliver Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2001
    Despite people's efforts, this thread is missing quite a bit of recent stuff. Here are some recent GL interviews online:
    http://www.rollingstone.com/news/story/_/id/7314866
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.05/lucas.html
    http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.05/lucasqa.html
    http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Movies/05/17/star.wars.overview/index.html
    http://www.staticmultimedia.com/content/film/features/feature_1115643931
    http://www.gotriad.com/article/view/15364/1/15/

But I think we're still missing quite a bit. Can anyone provide stuff GL has said in this year about the SW galaxy itself: perhaps the origin of the Jedi and Sith, stormtroopers in the Empire, the nature of the Force?

Subtext Mining likes this.
  6. PGM

PGM Jedi Youngling

Jun 1, 2005
    They never explain about R2 and 3PO. For 3PO, I just figured he was oblivious. He was on the ship with the Princess (in the original) and he doesn't even know who she is (just that she is important).

They also don't fully explain about Qui Gon disapearing (or not disapearing).

7. AlrikFassbauer

Apr 2, 2003
    Translation from the German language into the English language of an Interview with George Lucas that appeared in the Newspaper „Berliner Zeitung“, Number 114 from Mai, 19, 2005.
    Interviewer : Jens Balzer.
    Translator : Alrik Fassbauer (Internet Name).

8. xoliver

xoliver Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 3, 2001
    Thank you, Alrik. Stuff there about what happens after Episode VI I've never heard before.

Here's the 2005 Vanity Fair article: http://www.vanityfair.com/commentary/content/printables/050131roco03?print=true

9. AlrikFassbauer

Apr 2, 2003
    Ah, thanks.

10. Lars_Muul

Lars_Muul Jedi Grand Master star 6

Oct 2, 2000
    What is the meaning of all the hands, arms, legs, and heads being chopped off in the films that have emerged from Lucas's brain?

"That's what happens," he says, "when you play with swords."

Finally, we get an answer! :)

Stuff there about what happens after Episode VI I've never heard before.

Hehe, Lucas will say anything to make us not want to see any more Star Wars movies.

Does anyone have a quote, BTW, about what was originally intended for Luke's sister, who was not Leia, in the last trilogy? Was Luke supposed to train her or was she supposed to have been trained by a Jedi on the other side of the galaxy?
    I've heard both versions from fans, but never anything official.

Lucas rules
    /LM

11. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    this thread is awesome. good work all

there really is no reason for 7,8, and 9

although i guess it will never happen, i would really love to see a fil set in the KOTOR times or during the Jedi and Sith war with the emergence of the Republic

we can only dream i suppose

12. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    Okay! I just finished going through "The Making of Star Wars: Revenge of the Sith" and collecting little quotes and stories that I thought might be of interest.
    I've divided them into three categories: those that refer to the story, those that refer to the making of Star Wars and those that refer to moviemaking in general.
    I have probably missed a few good ones(I skipped a few semi-interesting ones too), but I think I got most of it. Some of it will be other people than Lucas, BTW.
    Enjoy!

About the story

About making Star Wars

About making movies in general

13. Ogmios22188

Ogmios22188 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 12, 2004
    He really is a brilliant man.

14. MatthewZ

MatthewZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 21, 2003
    Proof that Lucas gives his actors direction.

15. colivo

colivo Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 25, 2004
    Whether you agree or disagree with Lucas on how he did the prequels, I have to say whenever I read any interviews with him they are utterly fascinating.

He has to do more interviews about the prequels, because I think he does alot of things in these movies that either go right over peoples heads or are totally misinterpreted. This is a really good thread.

One negative: He was thinking of Qui-Gon in the final scene in ROTJ with Yoda, Anakin and Kenobi? The guy was not mentioned once in Episodes IV, V, and VI! Luke would have been like, "Hey, is that the guy from Schindlers List?" THANK GOD he didn't do that. Please George don't tamper with the originals anymore!

16. -maynard-

-maynard- Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 1, 2005
    i agree the quotes are facinating

he needs to compile all these things and write a book

17. Lars_Muul

Oct 2, 2000
    He was thinking of Qui-Gon in the final scene in ROTJ with Yoda, Anakin and Kenobi?

As the quote says, he was joking(also, remember that Qui-Gon can't become a ghost). He didn't seem to be joking, however, about reshooting some of Episode IV on the Tantive IV set. I don't know if they ever did that, though. It was never mentioned any further in the book.

Lucas is a genius
    /LM

18. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    Upping for current discussion.

19. asiy05

asiy05 Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2007

20. asiy05

asiy05 Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2007

21. asiy05

asiy05 Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2007
    anything else?

22. Cryogenic

Cryogenic Force Ghost star 5

Jul 20, 2005
    Not a quotation from Lucas, but this comes from his first ever film, "Look at Life":

"Hate stirreth up strife, while love coverth all sins."

It's exactly one minute long, featuring images of scenes of mass unrest in the 1960's, the era in which it was made. The quoted line is derived from the Bible and is the only narration heard in the film. If ever there was a distilled "Look at Lucas", this is it, I think.

23. Vortigern99

Vortigern99 Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 12, 2000
    "Hate stirreth up strife, while love coverth all sins."

Darth-Stryphe should consider quoting that in his signature. ;)

24. asiy05

asiy05 Jedi Youngling

Jan 8, 2007

according to rebelscum, lucas provided this. hope we can post writings from lucas in this quotes and interviews thread.

(Mod edit: This is the prologue to the novelisation of SW)

25. Keeper_of_Swords

Sep 20, 2003
    From a post by Vortigern99:

From a site: