main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    If Disney's Marvel can do Rocket Raccoon, Disney's Lucasfilm can do green bunny men!

2. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Think about how many characters there are from the EU, then compare that with how many characters there are in the films. Now think about how many action figures there are for each. This alone suggests where the money lies.

LawJedi likes this.
  3. Jedsithor

Jedsithor Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 1, 2005
    Brad Bird for a fun VII
    Duncan Jones for a darker VIII
    Alfonso Cuaron for a climactic IX

Follow up with:

Joe Johnston for Star Wars: The Dark Times (featuring Boba Fett and maybe some of the TV show ideas if Underworld doesn't go to series).
    Peter Jackson for Star Wars: Prologue aka the old Jedi/Sith conflict that started it all.
    Neil Blomkamp for Star Wars: Epilogue, a thousand years after the main saga where the Star Wars tales have become legends and the Force has become a forgotten myth.

Finally:

Tales Of The Old Republic - a series of short stories, each directed by different directors, woven together into a single film.

Episodes X, XI and XII all written and directed by me because by then I'll be a major film maker...maybe...possibly...probably not. :p

syferdiasisalie likes this.
  4. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    There was never any reason for the EU to be canon other than that that's the way Lucasfilm wanted things to be. If the EU is de-canonized, it will not cease to exist, nor will it cease to be a viable source of revenue and storytelling source for perpetuating the SW brand. Its material will still continue to be relevant and worth reading, and there will still be stories to be told in order to keep it alive and going strong. Nothing about the relationship between the EU canon and the filmic canon will be changed from what we currently have.

5. DealAlterer

DealAlterer Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 2, 2012
    Yea... this scares me.

6. Chaos123x

Chaos123x Jedi Knight star 2

Nov 5, 2012
    Anakin Yoda Qui-Gon and Obi-wan all arguing and bickering on what Luke should do next as Jedi Master.

JediGirl_Angelina likes this.
  7. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    Yea... that scares me even more.

8. Artoo-Dion

Artoo-Dion Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 9, 2009
    Don't forget, "Yoda will always be with you."

Master Hamahiga likes this.
  9. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    I'd only consider Yoda if Frank Oz voices him. As much as I like Tom Kane in Clone Wars, there's something special about the way Oz does the character. Plus, is it just me or does Clone Wars go way overboard with Yoda's backward speech?

Obi-Wan can't show up for obvious reasons and Luke doesn't have a clue who Qui-Gon is. That really only leaves Anakin or Yoda.

10. DealAlterer

Nov 2, 2012
    How about no prequel tie-ins whatsoever and no shoehorning of Darth Vader and/or Yoda into the new movies just so their faces can be plastered all over the new merchandise.

No past Jedi need to be in this movie at all. Alec Guiness is dead, Yoda's part of the story is over... and the prequels didn't happen :p. Any inclusion of the sort would feel like nothing more than a giant fan service. And it would feel very transparent. Let's move forward.

11. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Well, not really considering AOTC:

"Around the survivors, a perimeter create."

12. Jedsithor

Oct 1, 2005
    One of these days I'm going to cut together a video and put it on Youtube, showing everyone dying in the time it takes for him to say that line. :p

entermemo and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  13. InterestingLurker

InterestingLurker Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 15, 2011
    Where was it revealed in the videos that Kathy and George were having story conferences with Arndt?

14. Jango_Fett21

Jango_Fett21 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    ^ It isn't; at least not specifically. Kathy says - twice - that they (herself and others at Lucasfilm) are in the process of sitting down with various writers and hashing out the potential direction that the stories for the ST might go.

Now that we know Arndt had submitted a treatment for all 3 of the films months ago, it's clear that she was simply playing it coy.

15. DM99

DM99 Jedi Padawan star 3

Sep 26, 2012
    please elaborate. maybe i am doing something like that in the moment. What do you want to see in a star wars series/Movie? How should a propable female main hero character be?

Emotional? Calm? feminine? A tomboy? A girlie? Emo? or A mixture?

16. spoooooky

spoooooky Jedi Master

May 2, 2000
    Very promising. I really enjoyed both Toy Story 3 and Little Miss Sunshine.

As for returning force ghosts, I wouldn't mind seeing Yoda, Anakin, or Ben as long as they were short scenes and the main focus was on Luke. You know if there's a way to work them into the story, they will do it. The more appearances of fan favorites (from all eras), the more marketable the film is. Luckily, it sounds like they've chosen a writer that won't shoehorn in anything that doesn't effectively move the story forward.

17. yodasbum

yodasbum Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 4, 2004
    Production has been going on for 4 months. IMDB says July release. That would give a 3 year development timetable.

Now for a director. Spielberg out. Abrams wants to watch it as a fan. Bird has 1952 and that seems more unlikely that it is VII with each bit of news (the screen writer attached to the project). So who is left who hasn't got a job lined up 2013-14.

Matthew Vaughan
    Joe Johnston

Also now that Arndt has been confirmed for VII (very happy by that) are the other writers also working on VII or are they wirking on VIII and IX?

18. Mange

Mange Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2003
    It's mentioned in the official announcement over at StarWars.com: Michael Arndt to Write Screenplay for Star Wars: Episode VII

19. Llew

Llew Jedi Youngling

Oct 31, 2012
    I find this pretty exciting. I enjoyed both Little Miss Sunshine and The Hunger Games. LMS, especially, shows Arndt knows how to work with character development. All in all, VII is shaping up to be a wonderful thing already!

20. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Good solid production news at last. And good news at that - Little Miss Sunshine is one of my all time favorites. :)

But the "treatment" he'll be working from is Lucas - if Luke and co. are involved it is because that is the story Lucas gave him.

21. TtheForceHurts

TtheForceHurts Jedi Master star 4

Jan 28, 2010
    I could imagine a CG Alec Guiness Ghost voiced by Ewan McGregor... A cool main villain from the Eu would be Asajj Ventress ( played by Noomi Rapace. After all she is a Dark Side User, semi-canon ( TCW) and seems to have survived. This does make sense, especially, since Maul was originally conceived as a female warrior...

22. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012
    Kennedy and Lucas say in the vid that they are having story conferences - but they don't say with who.

The announcement makes it clear that this is Arndt.

Still though, I don't get why Lucasfilm has made it official in such a low key way .

Just because it is a rumour on the internet is not sufficient reason to do so.

23. DebonaireNerd

DebonaireNerd Jedi Grand Master star 5

Nov 9, 2012
    Interesting choice but pretty left field since action/sci-fi doesn't seem his forte. I suppose former Doctor Who producer came from a comedy background and Skyfall Director Sam Mendes has a pretty diverse CV. We'll see but I was hoping for someone along the lines of Frank Darabont.

24. Bib Fartuna

Bib Fartuna Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 4, 2012
    I'd love to be a fly on the wall for that threesome.

25. Panakas_Dawg

Panakas_Dawg Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jul 29, 2004
    I'd never want a solely "sci-fi" person to do SW. The best writers don't just read in their genre. A good writer is a good writer. Arndt's films show a deep understanding of characterization, motivation, and the need for the personal relationship audiences love to have with onscreen characters. I support this choice. Until some kids find a lost Jedi map and go on a wacky hijink-laden trip.

FinleySlade likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.