main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Lucasfilm Confirms: Michael Arndt To Write Screenplay For Episode VII

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by Diggs, Nov 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Diggs

Diggs Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2012
    Do yourself a favour and watch both. They are very good films. Both feature variety of interesting characters, plenty of warmth and humour. TS3 showcases plenty of fun action sequences. He's a great choice and I suspect he was chosen for the family/ group dynamics he has handled well in both movies.

2. TheMasterOfSoresu

TheMasterOfSoresu Jedi Master star 1

Jan 23, 2011
    Isn't Star Wars a kiddie flick?

Besides, I haven't met one adult that doesn't like Toy Story or other pixar films. In fact, I'm sure adults enjoy them more than children.

3. Jinn-N-Tonic

Jinn-N-Tonic Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 17, 2006
    The Phantom Menace certainly borders on being a kiddie flick but the rest of the film series especially Empire Strikes Back and Revenge of the Sith are not kiddie flicks.

Correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Episode IV 's intended targeted audience science fiction geeks in their teens?

4. Barriss_Coffee

Barriss_Coffee Chosen One star 6

Jun 29, 2003
    Trust me -- the overall average IQ of all SW film scripts will get a +30 with Arndt in charge.

5. DarthLowBudget

DarthLowBudget Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jan 17, 2004
    All the Star Wars films are kid flicks. Adult films they are not. This isn't meant to be dismissive, because I happen to love a well done kid flick (as few and far between as they are) and if you've seen Toy Story 3 you'd know that a star wars movie is well within Arndt's wheelhouse. Little Miss Sunshine I'm less positive on, but its nothing disqualifying.

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Little Miss Sunshine is a BRILLIANT script and a great story. Not really a chick flick: more like a family comedy/drama.

Toy Story 3 made me bawl my eyes out. (And how have you not seen it?? SOOO good!)

I definitely recommend both.

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  7. DarthBrian

DarthBrian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 9, 2002
    Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaat!?! :eek:

Since when?!? :confused:

8. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    If you were on here more, Brian, you'd know. ;)

9. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    Yeah I loved Toy Story 3 and I'm 33 years old. That Arndt guy can really write a great story!
    Plus I hear he's a pretty hardcore Starwars fan. Isn't that the kinda person who'd be an excellent choice for the writer?

10. DarthMane2

DarthMane2 Force Ghost star 5

Sep 20, 2003
    I'd say all the Star Wars films are suitable for kids, not that they are straight kids flicks. TPM is a kids flick sure. ROTJ is pretty much border line. Still, I'd say ANH and ESB are movies for all ages. Saying that these films were kids films is like saying AVENGERS was a kids flick.

11. aeods

aeods Jedi Youngling star 1

Dec 3, 2004
    Not gonna lie, starting to get pretty excited right about now.. can it be 2015 already?

12. Jason79

Jason79 Jedi Master star 3

Oct 31, 2012
    I'm gonna get started on building that time machine. I can't wait till 2015.
    Now where did I put that flux capacitor?;)

Padme501st, krtmd and JainaSoloYJK like this.
  13. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Always in motion the future is. Friends you have there? If you leave now, help them you could. But you would destroy all for which they have fought and suffered. :D

14. swarm87

swarm87 Jedi Youngling

Nov 7, 2012
    so they burn people alive, decapitate defenseless old men, cut bloody limbs off drunks, slaughter children, and torture people with electricity in kids movies?[face_thinking]

Jinn-N-Tonic likes this.
  15. Pfluegermeister

Pfluegermeister Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 30, 2003
    They ought to, in any decent kids' flick...

ThatWanFromStewjon likes this.
  16. Buddha Fett

Buddha Fett Force Ghost star 4

Dec 18, 1999
    Are you familiar with Grimm's Fairy Tales and the like? Those tales are squarely aimed at children, and passed down through generations. They have infinitely more twisted stories than anything done by Hollywood, and have been around for over 100 years.

JainaSoloYJK likes this.
  17. ThatWanFromStewjon

ThatWanFromStewjon Jedi Knight star 4

Oct 8, 2012

I believe the target audience for all the movies is 12 year olds.

Turns me 12 - I can tell you.

That why She Who Shall Not Be Named has to schedule my TCW fix for one half hour every Saturday.

It isn't easy bringing me back to Earth ;)

Missed the slot tonight and snuck the opportunity when the phone rang.

:p

18. LawJedi

LawJedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2009
    You just basically described every fairy tale ever.

19. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I was thinking the same thing. In Snow White the wicked stepmother is made to dance in heated metal shoes until she falls down dead; in Cinderella the wicked stepsisters are put in barrels with nails hammered through them and rolled down a hill over and over until they're dead.

Lots of kid's films have more mature content: Bambi, Finding Nemo, The Dark Crystal, Wizards, and many others.

20. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    I suddenly have another reason to finally watch TS3...I'm sure it is brilliant because Pixar doesn't mess around (especially with their flagship) and Little Miss Sunshine was great! This guy will hopefully be a breath of fresh air. Too bad they didn't recruit writing talent for the prequels.

21. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Yes, no more nor less violent or terrifying than any fairy tale you've read to a child.

22. ThatWanFromStewjon

Oct 8, 2012
    Sorry - I didn't mean to plagarise.

23. Darth-Seldon

Darth-Seldon Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 17, 2003
    A professional screenwriter can glide between genres and can handle a child's movie versus a more adult themed film. Bickering about how we personally view SW seems pretty pointless (Lucas himself has always said the movies are for kid's and those young at heart but sure there is definitely some violence...)

24. The-Eternal-Hero

The-Eternal-Hero Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    I loved violent stories as a child. Not horror, but fantasy and drama. I loved the Godfather I & II, Bible stories, fairy tales, myths, and violent movies. I think most kids do. They like being (reasonably) scared, gross-out stuff, monsters, and fantasy violence. SW has all of these things.

A lot of psychology has been written about it. When I was growing up the defense was that fantasy violence provided a safe "catharsis" for childhood frustrations. I don't know if that's true, but I sure loved violent, tragic stories.

25. FRAGWAGON

FRAGWAGON Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    Any children's film worth it's salt does. And people will whine (like children, interestingly) at the political machinations of TPM which are not particularly kid friendly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.