main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

LUCASFILM's RESPONSE>>>>>

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by kitarusapien, Feb 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kitarusapien

kitarusapien Former RMFF CR star 6 VIP

Nov 19, 2001
    Dear Jennifer, Tim and William--
    Many thanks for your note about your planned event. Coming from a fan background myself-and still being one-I think that grassroots events are fantastic. We were all amazed by the lining-up phenomenon for Episode I. At the same time, if we got involved, it would no longer be a grassroots event, but seen by many cynics as an attempt to manipulate fans and garner publicity for Episode II. Also, we are receiving similar
    requests on a near-daily basis, and we simply don't have the bandwidth to approve or monitor individual events. We are putting all of our efforts into Star Wars Celebration II in Indianapolis May 3-5, sponsored by the
    Official Star Wars Fan Club. In addition, we already have plans in the works to sponsor charities in a number of cities upon the release of Episode II. While I wish we
    could comply with every request we receive from enthusiastic fans, we simply are
    not able to. The bottom line is that Lucasfilm cannot authorize, sanction, or in
    any way be involved with an event that we are not directly planning or sponsoring. If you proceed with your event, please make sure that people understand that it is a grassroots fan event and in no way connected with Lucasfilm. Please do not use our images, logos and other intellectual property, again so that no one confuses anything that your group does with an official Lucasfilm event.
    Best Regards,
    Steve

Steve Sansweet
    Director of Content Management & Fan Relations
    Lucasfilm Ltd.
    P.O. Box 2009
    San Rafael, CA 94912
    Phone: 415 662-1919
    Fax: 415 662-1111

Well, folks, there ya go.....best we get together and talk about what we'd like to do.

2. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jedi Girl of Corellia Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 23, 2000
    *sigh* well, at least we tried...

3. teneniel_djo

teneniel_djo Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 6, 2000
    i told you to mention the 'is it hot in here, or it is just steve sansweet' fan club! :)

kidding, of course. we can still do something though!

4. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    You guys should know by now that I'm anything but a quiter, but truth be told, without Lucasfilm's blessing, United Artists corporates are likely NOT to allow it to happen, and we absolutely cannot auction anything off without their permission since it's on their turf. It was bad enough when Urban Peak said they didn't want to push their sponsors for even a letter, but without Lucasfilm's blessing, United Artists have the perfect excuse to say no to us. Seems to me that we can line party all we want, as long as UA lets us line up, but for U.P., it probably ain't gonna happen. BUT, I will proceed as ya'll see fit with the same vim and vinegar as before....just tell me where to aim{;>

5. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    OK, this isn't too much of a shocker. :( We hoped for more, and almost got it. I'll re-check with they guy who did the LOTR event, and see how they got into the theater only.

On the other side, I still think it's important that we tell UA that the Continental is the place that the FANS want to go to for opening night. I think they'd be stupid to not want to cooperate with us.

As for UP, isn't there some way that we can still work with them? I know other FF groups work w/charities. I think that there are activities that we can do outside of the theater that will still help UP, whether or not Steve approves of it. I can understand why they can't.

But it's no reason why we can't still have fun.

Bill

6. Faceplant

Faceplant Jedi Youngling star 2

Aug 6, 2000
    Wow, a reply from <lukewarm> Sansweet himself!

That is discouraging news. I feel that it is better be declined permission and then go through with it without. Even though the intentions were good, there could have been trouble otherwise. I applaud everyone involved with this to make it legit.

Perhaps we can focus efforts towards StarFest. From what I gather from the letter, we can still make this happen, as long as Lucasfilm trademarks aren't used.

I am not an IP Lawyer so I am really not sure how to proceed.

I know this might be hypocritical being a member of the 501'st and all. So far we've been very lucky.

7. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Like I said, I have no problem with continuing the effort, I just wanted to be upfront with everyone about the reality of the corporates at UA letting us continue on their property. OW, let me know what the LOTR guy says, OK?

8. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Is there a place nearby we could hold the party? Then we could all troop over to the theater and get in line. A parade would be kind of cool. With a bunch of people in costume. We could have 'Attack of the Clones or Bust' signs too.

9. Joseph_Orion

Joseph_Orion Jedi Master star 4

Nov 9, 2001
    Yeah, we can get some rooms at the Marriot and party like crazy star wars psychos and see AOTC and have an after party and everybody can take the next day off and we'll just party all night until 6 am when the pool opens and we can all jump in there and get more wasted and as the sun rises we can run around naked out there and get all the people mad that are eating breakfast in the restaurant that overlooks the pool, and if we get wild enough we can steal plants from the lobby and put em in our room and act out scenes from Endor, that'd be fun (we did pretty much the same thing at Prom my senior year lol)

10. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Yea, and the party should end near the train station so we don't have as far to go when they run us out on the rails!!!!! Oh, wait...that would be....BAD!

11. Jedi Girl of Corellia

Jun 23, 2000
    Oooo... Maybe I should do that for my Prom [face_devil]

12. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    Okay, I was waiting to see what everyone's response was before I put my own two cents in.

Our good buddy Steve, did not say that we could not hold the event. As a matter of fact, he was glad to see our efforts in planning an event. I think we might just have to change it around a bit.

First we need to find out if UA has any plans for one of these "Charity Events," and if not, they are going to be pissed off about being excluded. So, we should still approach them about the event. Definately find out about LOTR, because this might prove helpful in convincing UA.

Next, we need to think of a contingency plan. Maybe we hold a simple benefit w/ a SW theme. We can lobby a couple of places to hold the event, maybe even D&B's @ the Colorado Center. Something for the weekend before, maybe. That way we can still do the Adopt-A-Teen program and get the kids into the movie and raise some money for the shelter. Plus, with a hall or banquet room, the whole band concept would be even better.

Another option would be to get those blocks of tickets for something later that weekend and have a pre-show event at the theatre (whichever theatre).

I think we should still go after UA, we are definately not dead yet. So, chin up and let's proceed. The rebels didn't give up after Hoth and those crazy Imps didn't give up after their 2nd Death Star was blown to bits, so let's keep up the fight.

-Jennifer

13. SilverDragon

SilverDragon Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2001
    I'm all for an after party. If I'm scheduled to work the next day, I'll just take a day of leave or something, who knows. I don't know about the running around naked part though...oh, and I don't drink, so I could be a DD...but I'd probably get lost driving anyone home, lol.

14. Faceplant

Aug 6, 2000
    Who are you calling a crazy Imp? Gad, am I super-sensitive or what?

If this goes on, we could do a special section on our page to promote the event. We could hand out flyers at StarFest or post them at toy/comic book stores or whatever. Perhaps have pics of the items we have for auction on the flyer and on the page. That's gotta drum up interest.

15. SilverDragon

SilverDragon Jedi Youngling star 2

May 3, 2001
    What, when, and where is "Starfest"?

16. Faceplant

Aug 6, 2000
    What: Sci Fi Convention.
    when: April 19-21, 2002
    where: Holiday Inn DIA Convention Center

For more information, check out Starland.

17. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    Now we can't use the flyer that Rory made, how crappy. They have to be Generic flyers now since we can't use logos, names, or images of LFL. LAME!

18. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    We could use the no image banner that used to be on our website. TD should have that somewhere. It doesn't have any LFL specific grapphics on it.

-Jennifer

19. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    yeah but those symbols are property of LFL. We might as well have a plain text black and white saying "Line Party" LFL, those nerf herders, first they take away our card game and now they're taking away our flyer. I hate star wars now, lol

20. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    On that note, I've already asked them to identify just what we can and can't use for ourselves....be patient....we'll have an answer soon enough.

21. teneniel_djo

Dec 6, 2000
    i'm wondering, also, if i can't use the banner that's on the site now anymore.....

22. kitarusapien

Nov 19, 2001
    Leave it be for now....they can't do anything while I'm still putting valid questions to them in an honest fashion.

23. teneniel_djo

Dec 6, 2000
    and i'm thinking, as far as their copyrights go, we're not using it for commerical purposes, so it should be fine.

24. Joseph_Orion

Nov 9, 2001
    Don't take it off the site, they can't do anything about that. But as far as flyers for THIS event, that's a no go unless it's an ugly one that we see on college campuses with neon colors and plain wording.

25. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    As long as we are not trying to generate any financial gain and not perpetrating a liablous act, we can use their images. I spoke w/ my lawyer about it. Copyright law only protects things from being used in a manner as to represent yourself as part of the entity, a detriment to the entity, or in place of the entity. Basically, anything that might cause them to lose money in any way shape of form. Unfortunately, our little charity thing falls under those guidelines.

-Jennifer

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.