main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

M. Night Shyamalan's The Last Airbender

Discussion in 'Archive: SF&F: Films and Television' started by Miana Kenobi, Dec 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth-Vassago

Darth-Vassago Jedi Master star 5

Jun 28, 2004
    How can they be displeased? I've read numerous accounts that say they were hands on with Shymalan during the entire process. Not to mention their names are attached to the movie.

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    One can still be displeased with something he/she had part in.

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    They said they were there making suggestions and hint and that Shyamalan just ignored them and did what he wanted.

On a different note, at least the soundtrack is going to be AMAZING.

4. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    I guess that's what happens when a company gives rights to a director who refuses to listen to the creators. However I heard the two were very involved and M. was listening to their input. I don't see why he wouldn't be--it's their creation. That would be like the director of 'Jedi' ignoring Lucas and doing whatever he wanted; it's Lucas' creation. He'd know best.

Oh well. We'll see in a week.

5. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Got this from an interview M. Night did with the heads of some of the Avatar fansites and media companies:

"Sillier moments and characters from the show, such as the Cabbage Man, will not be a part of the film."

MY CABBAGES!!!!! :_|

6. Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon

Jedi_Keiran_Halcyon Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 17, 2000
    Some might argue that the last 12 years of the franchise beg to differ.;)

7. Dawud786

Dawud786 Chosen One star 5

Dec 28, 2006
    It doesn't surprise me at all that Mike and Bryan would be displeased... I know that Sifu Kisu was alienated very early on in the process. Casting was part of it, another part was him being cut out of the martial arts work and a stunt coordinator that really doesn't know the first thing about kung fu put in charge of that. Mike and Bryan are surely contracturally bound to say positive things, especially early in the process of this thing getting going. I have a hard time believing those two were particularly stoked on the casting process itself, seeing as just how East Asian the characters in the cartoon are. I still can't agree with anyone that interprets Aang as white, none of the Air Nomads have European features and even Aang has East Asian(mongoloid) features despite the cartoony exaggeration of eye roundness. The younger the characters in the show the rounder the eyes, across the board.

On a related note, I saw the action figures at Toys R Us last week... I noticed they did the very same thing with the movie toys that they did with the cartoon show toys(which didn't sell well at all), they made none of the female characters. Not even Katara.

8. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    That's why I referenced 'Jedi' and not Revenge of the Sith, here.

9. Jedi Merkurian

Jedi Merkurian Future Films Rumor Naysayer star 7 Staff Member Manager

May 25, 2000
    [image=http://www.freewebs.com/theloveplant/storage2/bumi.png]

That's not unique to TLA. It seems like female action figures are sparse to nonexistant, no matter the tie-in.

10. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    ^With Star Wars, for instance, at least they exist. To great complaint they don't exist for any TLA action figure production. There was a HUGE stink by fans with the animated figures because obviously Katara and Toph are just as important as the male characters.

11. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Bumi. :( :(

I wonder if The Boulder and Combustion Man will also get nixed.

12. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    It's been my observation that SW represents the rarity instead of the rule when it comes to female action figures. Regardless, the problem is not unique to TLA; it's just another straw for that camel ;)

13. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    I WANT MY SUKI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not yelling at you, mind. Just yelling in general. I. Want. Suki! :mad::mad::mad:

14. Dawud786

Dec 28, 2006
    Yell at Hasbro, I think they are the one's with the license. Those TLA figures look pretty darned compatible with Star Wars figs.

15. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Planning on seeing this tonight. Hopefully I won't leave disappointed.

16. RK_Striker_JK_5

RK_Striker_JK_5 Force Ghost star 7

Jul 2, 2003
    Yeah.. I did specify I wasn't yelling at you.

17. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    With 29 reviews on Rotten Tomatoes, right now the film is sporting a whopping 7%.

[face_laugh]

18. Evil Incarnate

Evil Incarnate Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 18, 2003
    The movie was alright, it had amazing special effects paired with horrible acting. Kinda reminds me of transformers in that respect. :p

It does make for a good synopsis of the first book, and it got better as the movie progressed. :)

In acting it gets a 4, a 6 in presentation, and a 10 in special effects. Overall I give it a 7/10.

Evil.

19. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Emphasis mine.

Wow! I thought the whole point of choosing the three Caucasian leads was because they were uber-talented, "best for the role" thespians. o_O

Apparently not. :rolleyes:

Currently 6% at Rotten Tomatoes. One of the only two positive reviews called it "wooden" and the other said, "The Last Airbender seems as though it?s daring people to hate it. It?s hard to believe anything could be this badly written by accident." [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

At this rate, it's definitely a relief that the whitewashing happened otherwise we'd be hearing how this was proof that Only White People Can Make Good Movies That Sell Tickets. [face_shame_on_you]

20. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    Movie was alright. I didn't walk out disappointed like the people who came in droves dressed up. It amazes me, sometimes, how people can build things up to be so amazing and when they see it's not they lay blame on everyone and everything except their expectations.

The special effects were good, soundtrack was good, story was told for the most part. The acting is on par for most movies geared at kids. I don't think the name change/pronunciations were really needed; hearing "Ong" each time made my skin crawl.

Overall, my opinion, was not superior to the source (duh), but wasn't a piece of garbage. It could have been better.

21. Miana Kenobi

Apr 5, 2000
    Dude, even ethnic actors wouldn't have saved this. [face_laugh] [face_laugh]

Though to be fair, I wonder how that cast would have faired with a decent script, a competent editor, and a director not bent on making the worst movie ever made.

I SERIOUSLY wonder if he was making it this bad on purpose. Because really, you just CAN'T make something THAT bad. It makes Twilight look Oscar-worthy.

22. leia_naberrie

leia_naberrie Jedi Master star 4

Sep 10, 2002
    Lots of people on these thread would have said it was the ethnic actors that made it crash and burn. The whole experience has really shone light on just how shallow and selfish white American fandom is. [face_plain] As it stands, I'm wondering what happened to all that talent that Ringer etc were supposed to bring to the movie since they were obviously chosen because they were the Most Talented Actors Ever. [face_eye_rolling]

23. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
    Wait...what?

[image=http://i697.photobucket.com/albums/vv335/DarthVerrick/Funny/1264067911440.gif]

24. Darth-Vassago

Jun 28, 2004
    That's how Aang was pronounced in the movie. They didn't actually call him "Aang", his name was pronounced by everyone as "Ong" which is really hard to hear.

25. Jedi Merkurian

May 25, 2000
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.