main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Mara Jade Fan club- reborn!

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Thanos6, Nov 18, 1999.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marie_Jadewalker

Marie_Jadewalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 14, 2000
    General_H_Storm: What are you concerned will become like Club Jade? (or just exclusive in general?) Are you talking about the proposed Yahoo board or this club, if we put some guidelines on it?

If your conscern is this club, I'm sure we will not become exclusive. Basically, if you're a Mara fan you're welcome here. And even non Mara fans are welcome if they discuss things politely and respect the opinions of others. I'd really rather not invent guidelines for posting here, but if we have to I'd prefer that to closing the club completely. What do the rest of you think?

2. TK-667

TK-667 Jedi Youngling star 3

Feb 21, 2000
    Glad to see some people agree with me. That is what I hate is DL warned us, but about what? I mean I've seen other fanclubs further off topic than us. Are they just biased because we are a large thread, or they don't like Mara?

At least we talk EU. Oh well. I'll see about the Yahoo Groups.

Guidelines. Ugh. That would be so hard. We really wouldn't have a way to enforce anything either.

I don't know what to do here. Any of you have suggestions? What could we do or not do? See above for guidlines. A new thread with a loose title? Just go to Yahoo Groups? Just give me suggestions.

I'm out for now. Tired, been in a bad sleep rut. Be back sometime today, hopefully.

~The Insane One

3. General_H_Storm

General_H_Storm Jedi Youngling star 1

Mar 16, 2001
    I was just commenting on them in general. They make me sick!

I doubt this club or the yahoo one will become like those snobs.

4. TK-667

Feb 21, 2000
    All right, REVOLT, REVOLT! COUNTER REVOLUTION! This is to grab your attention. Eyes locked on screen? Good.

I found the JC rules in Communications. I am horribe at linking, so they are there in Dark Lady Mara's thread. I read through their rules.

From what I saw there, there are no true rules against being off topic. Not written anyways. So to me there is nothing wrong with being off topic. The only place it's a crime is in an admins head. There was also no mention that your thread and all posts within have to match the subject title. So like I said, it seems to be at an admins discretion. Which in some ways is unfair. No matter what no one here will ever be happy.

Now another thing is there are tons of violators of certain rules. Truth be told, I have done it myself. There are rules against, (Quote)"You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law. Advertisements, chain letters, pyramid schemes, and solicitations are inappropriate on this board."(/Quote)

So therefore the people should be protected. When we post a topic, people should not get away with making hateful comments or abusive ones. Even towards a fictional charcter or another persons belief's or ideals. I have before, but I mostly have passed that stage. Of course we're all only human though.

My thoughts, the JC needs more control. The common folk need some control of their own posts. It maybe more diffucult in ways, but I think it would be better.

When a person starts a thread, they should have control and be able to edit any post within. So if someone comes in making negative comments, threats, whatever. The thread creator can edit that post. If they feel it violates JC rules, he could pass it on to an admin for possible temporary or IP ban. I'd say use it only in extreme cases though. This way people wouldn't have to listen to the abuse. I've said things like this before and taken flak.

The things I like is the Hater Community. If people have problems with characters, let them group there. I have no qualms with them. If people want to read they're opinon, they can. Just don't start any trouble, basically no posts that would provoke them. IE, supporting a character that is being trashed there. Let them talk and talk pro in your own or in the thread for your favorite character. If there is a pro charcter thread with polite dissension, I can deal with it. But when they come right in with their, they suck, I hate them banter. It spoils it for everyone. I know it is hard to police all thes people, which is why I say let the creator of thread deal with posts at his discretion. They could not ban a person, but could edit any post in their thread. Of course you'd have to use it wisely. So no editing just because you don't like the person. I'd say have witnesses. So have at least one person attest to your claims when you edit someones comments.

Ah well whatever. Guess discussion is truly not welcome here. Only attacks.

Like I said, we discuss EU topics here, yes it isn't always Mara Jade, but at least it's EU related. We go out on the main boards and get flak for our comments, ideals and who we like. A few remeber the C thread we started to be nice? Mara fan's are not known to like her, but we played nice and even the C fans were intrested. Of course there were a few people trying to ruin it. It happens constantly and in my opinon sometimes violates the JC Rules and Regs, yet is allowed to run rampant. WHY!? I want to know WHY!?!?!!

There is no safe haven, except for the one you create. Mara fans don't seem welcome here, or at least openly. We TRY to tolerate other people and we get no respect back. Whatever.

My thoughts are totally jumbled beyhond this. Any comments, suggestions? Am I just a rebellious spirit. Is all I say being deaf and blind or does this seem to match the J

5. MJ.Frodo

MJ.Frodo Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 1, 2000
    I agreed on the Yahoo group,cuz some things you cann't change. :D

CURE MARA!!!!

6. MARA-JADE

MARA-JADE Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    I have just been to the following thread

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=2270136&replies=38

were a member was complainning that it wasn't on topic and they also mentioned us as well, I'm wondering if this had anything to do with our warning.

7. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    If someone starts a Yahoo group, I'm there.

If they're going to start closing threads that stray off topic, then most of the threads in Lit would probably be closed. I think they need to be a little more concerned with the name calling and flaming that goes on in certain threads.

8. Marie_Jadewalker

Nov 14, 2000
    I agree with you guys. PDK and I signed up for Yahoo accounts yesterday. :) So let us know if you start a Yahoo group and we'll be there.

M-J: I would guess that the warning came as a result of a complaint, but not that one. It came after the warning. The only bright side is Gatherer's comment in that thread:

"I am trying to organise a forum under 'Expanded Universe' where we can put all our fan clubs."

Maybe then people wouldn't whine as much. And if they could move us safely I wouldn't mind. I just wouldn't come back to lit. (Not that anyone outside the MJFC would think that was a big loss.)

9. TK-667

Feb 21, 2000
    Guten Tag MJFC'ers. This situation still is making me ticked. So to alleviate my anger, I'm listening to a track from a local band called I'm Still Here. This does wonders for me.

DL already said he didn't want to do that(split the forums). So the Gatherer is going to try. Well whatever, it's to late for me. I'll only come here now and then. Mostly for fanfix.

It's clear that insubordination and other things are allowed to run rampant as well. Can't believe the comments I saw in The Gatherer's thread. One of them is one that irked me before. I won't name any names.

Oh well. I was going to start it last night, but I hate their Terms of Service legal mumbo jumbo. That stuff makes me nervous. Oh well, just start up and hope I don't get arrested, though I doubt that would happen.=) I'll see about starting it now. Need to figure it all out. Mainly a decent name and if we should have restricted membership. I think it's restricted where one person is the moderator and approves folks. I just don't trust the public.

I guess I'll come back, tell you the name and possibly add the address. I'll approve most of you if it is restricted. That's no problem.

~The Insane One

10. GirlJedi

GirlJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 10, 2000
    Yeah I am upset too. It doesn't seem like we are causing any harm here. Some are complaining about it. What are we doing that is wrong here? is this clogging up anything more than "ANH - word by word"?

Each thread is a conversation, sometimes we get off topic but we ususally go back to the main thing. Rename this thing: "Discuss Mara Jade and all topics related to her"
    Mara Jade only exists in the EU -> Literature, so why are they wanting to change things? I feel like they're pushing us around based on some people's not liking to see "fan" threads. Why? What is wrong with it? We do not get into nastiness in here, nor does anyone post a one-word line to raise the thread to "the top of the heap." I would like to discuss this character - even with those who don't like her as long as they are interested in discussion and not flaming or name calling or ignorance. For me I don't understand why people put so much effort into talking about what they hate. But everyone is entitled to be a part of what they want.
    For me, we're not doing anything wrong here, nor do we get much off topic talking about soap operas or anything.
    thanks for your attention.

11. GirlJedi

Nov 10, 2000
    Yeah I am upset too. It doesn't seem like we are causing any harm here. Seems like a few others are complaining about it. What are we doing that is wrong here? is this clogging up anything more than "ANH - word by word"? or the many other threads that turn quite nasty and aggressive/attacking.

Each thread is a conversation, sometimes we get off topic but we ususally go back to the main thing. Rename this thing: "Discuss Mara Jade and all topics related to her"
    Mara Jade only exists in the EU -> Literature, so why are they wanting to change things? I feel like they're pushing us around based on some people's not liking to see "fan" threads. Why? What is wrong with it? We do not get into nastiness in here, nor does anyone post a one-word line to raise the thread to "the top of the heap." I would like to discuss this character - even with those who don't like her as long as they are interested in discussion and not flaming or name calling or ignorance. Personally I don't understand why people put so much effort into talking about what they hate. But everyone is entitled to be a part of what they want.
    For me, we're not doing anything wrong here, nor do we get much off topic talking about soap operas or anything.
    thanks for your attention.

12. TK-667

Feb 21, 2000
    Good morning again. Well, we have a group. I tried to name it the same, but obviously the e-mail address had to match, so I botched it. Oh well. At least its still named close to what I want.=)

Ummmm, send me a PM with your e-mail addy if it isn't in your profile. Otherwise, I'll snag your e-mail addy's and go over their and just invite you all. Means you'd have to check your e-mail today sometime. You'd be the first wave. The hardcore Mara fans. I'm also gonna poke around in other groups and make alliances. Mainly with Mara fans, like the Mara Jade fanfiction groups.

Well, this is essentially my last full time post at the JC. I will come back now and then for the fanfiction and to occasionally play here. Otherwise I'm basically retiring from this thread and the JC. See you all over at our Yahoo Group!

Just follow my above instructions, or accept the e-mail.(Pray I figure it out!) Otherwise I'll return here to figure it out and make sure you all make the transition.

Marie: I have an assigment for you. Try to track down all the Tales we have and bring them over to our group. Can you do that? Many thanks if you could!

Goodbye and no thanks awards go to all haters, flamers, bashers. You are the reason I'm leaving, though I dout you would care.

~The Insane One

13. General_H_Storm

Mar 16, 2001
    Continuing Pantha Poodo

"We're scum! We suck!"

LONG LIVE THE SKYWALKER FAMILY!!!!
    AND, FOR FORCE SAKES, CURE MARA!!!

14. Marie_Jadewalker

Nov 14, 2000
    Hi everyone.

Many of you (those who post here often) will be getting e-mails or PMs from TK or PDK soon about the Yahoo e-group. Several of the regular posters from this group have switched over there.

I can't speak for the others, but part of my reason for doing so was actually so that this group could stay afloat. Darth Ludicrous has asked that we restrict conversation in this thread to Mara only. He doesn't want to close the thread, but he does want us to abide by that. I really do not think I can do that, so I am going to post over there and not jeopardize this forum. If you want more information, you can PM me. I'll still be on the boards, though mainly in FanFiction.

If you choose not to join us at Yahoo I'll understand. I will miss you. I've really enjoyed talking to you all in the last few months. Maybe I'll come back to posting here once I'm less angry. We'll see. May the Force be with you all.

~Marie~

Mara related content: There are only a few days until Conquest comes out. I truly hope that Mara will be portrayed accurately in that novel. I'm looking forward to her being cured (though Force knows when that will happen) and to the birth of Skycrawler.

Long live Mara Jade Skywalker!

15. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I know I've been MIA for a while...Darth Real Life and my own padawan arriving in August are getting a lot of my attention right now.

But I just wanted to say that I got the PM @ the Yahoo group (thanks for remembering me, TK!) and I'll try to lurk and jump in when I can.

Unless everyone stops posting here completely, I'll still consider this to be Mara Jade Central for discussion of the new books, etc. Personally, I hope that there will always be a MJFC presence here at the JC - although I certainly understand the creation of a separate group for "social talk" purposes. (We recently did the same thing for the CT Starbucks.)

Hope everyone is well and MTFBWY!

~Trace

16. Mazzic

Mazzic Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 6, 2000
    For those members of the MJFC still frequenting, I've updated my thread of "The Emperor's Hand Photoshoot" with another costume sketch, and commentary on past posts.

Some of the costumes are nearing completion, and I'll post photos of 'em on the thread, so keep checking back for details!

http://boards.theforce.net/message.asp?topic=1980291

-Mazzic

17. MJ.Frodo

Apr 1, 2000
    LONG LIVE MARA JADE SKYWALKER!

I've tried (TK knows it) but I'm not able to join the Yahoo egroup,I don't know why,but my computer refused to get connection to it.So if I want to meet MJ fans it has to be here or at the Jedinet.com messageboards. Hopefully someone of you entered this place now and then,cuz I think I'm gonne miss you guys,snif snif. :(
    I'm agreed with Trace suggestion,and I hope I can find someone here to discuss with me Mara in the upcoming novels.

Well about this thread,I'm proud of it and it's a nice place to talk and discuss with other Mara fans.Theres some chatting in it and some off topics I've to admit,but it's not different in this case from other similar fanclubs threads.Unfortunately it has to change,but not alot,cuz most of all we are and were talking about Mara and her life in the books. :)

Mara in Conquest! Just like you I'm very curious how Greg keyes would describe our Mara.Would it be just as good as Kathy Tyers did?? Or can we await another disappointment. I can understand it when Mara hasn't such a big role in Greg Keyes books,but if she has a minor role, it has to be the same Mara as we can find in BP imo. It's only a few days to wait till we knows more. There will be perhaps not many spoilers to find about Mara in the Lit.forum threads if Conquest appears.I suppose mostly they talk about othere charactere than Mara.
    Well I hope to find some spoilers about Mara in conquest here in this thread. [face_laugh]

Cure Mara!!!

18. Artemis

Artemis Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 20, 2000
    I too have been MIA, if only for the past couple of days. I've become involved in what I feel is an extremely important student movement at my school, and I haven't had much time to think about anything else.

The turn this forum has taken in recent weeks has certainly been upsetting to me, however, and I am sad it has come to this. I lost my egroups account when it switched to yahoogroups, but I will try to resurrect the account and visit over there, and, like others, I will continue to stop by here. Best of luck to each of you in helping to keep this community together, and I will see you all, I'm sure, whenever I can.

>artemis<

19. MJ.Frodo

Apr 1, 2000
    "Darth Ludicrous has asked that we restrict conversation in this thread to Mara only. He doesn't want to close the thread, but he does want us to abide by that"

Well so be it.Is not even a bad idea (yeah my angry mood is over I think :) ).To have this tread full of thoughtfull conversations about Mara is okay for me.I remember once that DL onlocked this thread again,doing this of my request. I'm very grateful for that,because it was happen while I got a misunderstanding with DL. But he done it,and unlocked this thread for the MJFC,and perhaps some members could remembering that too? That was very nice from DL.

Thanks Artemis,hope to see ya someday talking about your point of view regarding Mara and the upcoming novels :)

20. MJ.Frodo

Apr 1, 2000
    For those who stay here (ooops I hope I'm not the only ),one question:

1)In what age do you think used the Emperor Mara for his missions??? Do you think Mara served the Emperor as a very young child??
    About 8 year or so??

CURE MARA!!!

21. Hope

Hope Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 27, 1999
    Frodo:
    Sorry to hear about the problem you're having with Yahoo.

)In what age do you think used the Emperor Mara for his missions??? Do you think Mara served the Emperor as a very young child??
    About 8 year or so??

I guess it would depend on the type of mission. I really can't see Mara going on an assassination mission before the age of 16 or 17. I think something along the lines of spying could have been done at an earlier age.

I don't know how much of role Mara will play in Conquest, but regardless of the size of her role I hope Keyes was able to portray her accurately (along with the other characters). Judging from the short Gamer excerpt, I think Keye's did a pretty good job with Karrde's character.

Hi Trace! I'm glad to see that you're still around :)

22. MARA-JADE

MARA-JADE Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 22, 2000
    Frodo - sorry to hear your having problems with yahoo, we are trying to work on a solution.

As for Mara and her first missions, I think she would have been in her teens when she started to go on missions for the Emperor. I think 8yrs old would have been a bit too young.

23. Marie_Jadewalker

Nov 14, 2000
    Hi guys!

Frodo: My anger is abating, too. And thank you for reminding us that DL has been a good friend to this group in the past.

I think I'll still be at Yahoo pretty often because they have some nice features--like storage space for Files and Websites. That makes them readily accesible so they don't get burried under lots of conversation.

If TRMJ is willing, I think we should move the Tales of the MJFC contest over to the Yahoo group. It isn't technically on topic for here. (We could move it to Fanfic instead if you guys prefer, but I like the group because we can archive the stories easily.)

Speaking of that, PDK and I are working on diving through this board to find the previous Tales. We will post them on the Yahoo boards if we have the author's permission. So far I've found one from TRMJ and one from Artemis that I haven't posted yet. How about it, ladies? Do you mind?

I appologize for that, but some administrative stuff needs to be taken care of. On topic again now:

I agree that 8 is probably a little young for Mara to have begun missions. She was probably still undergoing intense training then. I could see her going on assignments starting about age 13, but I agree that she probably wasn't assigned assassinations until 16 or 17. Pure speculation, of course. It would be nice to know this sort of thing for sure.

I'm excited for the new book, although I think Mara will play a larger part in the second volume. I wonder where she is at the begining of Conquest... she wasn't mentioned in that chapter that was posted a couple of weeks ago.

24. General_H_Storm

Mar 16, 2001
    I assume she's resting for a while.

25. GirlJedi

Nov 10, 2000
    Marie's comments on Mara and age are about right with what I think. She's probably in heavy duty training at age 8, and maybe observing or something. Can see her going on her first assasination assignment at age 15 or 16.

She's due to play a bigger role in Rebirth - the cover said a lot, though one can't go solely by what a cover shows.

i'm still around, but need to take a break from the JC for awhile. I will probably lurk though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.