main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Media/Press Information

Discussion in 'Star Wars Celebrations' started by MattDoc, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattDoc

MattDoc Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 10, 2009
    We haven't started talking about this one so I figured I'd get the thread going. Official info is here:

http://www.starwarscelebration.com/en/Media/Media-Registration/

Who has applied for media credentials?
    If you have applied, has anyone heard if they were granted yet?

Anyone go to past events as press? How did it work? What cool stuff or access did you get?

2. AnimeNut

AnimeNut Jedi Youngling star 1

May 17, 2002
    The most obvious benefit that comes to mind would be in the Autograph Hall, where you could take photos of all the guests, free of charge.

3. Robonino

Robonino Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 29, 2009
    I've applied, waited the three weeks like they asked, then checked in to follow up. Reed Expo (very cool people, btw) told me the Lucas people are handling it all and that they were running a bit behind. That's all I know for now!

4. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    I applied for the heck of it. Didn't think my humble little photoblog would qualify as the kind of media they want to give credentials to. But you never know 'til you try, right?

Well, I just got the "sorry" email...no media pass for me. No biggie though. I only really wanted it so I could maybe have some special access for some photos. I'll still be shooting 100s of photos each day anyway.

5. lazer310

lazer310 Jedi Grand Master star 3

Apr 23, 2000
    Has anyone heard any updates? Last I heard from Reed was they were still waiting on Lucasfilm to get back to them. Do they really have THAT many press requests? I submitted on December 18th.

To compare, I got my press badge for SDCC submitted through snail mail and accepted in a month.

6. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    Seems like Reed and Lucasfilm are working through the applications. Some people have heard back already and others haven't.

7. Robonino

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm still waiting over here... glad that I'm not the only one. Hopefully, we will get the good word soon.

8. ArdathBey

ArdathBey Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2010
    I just received my confirmation. I'm in.

So yeah, any previous press attendees who could
    share what the experience was like, what you able
    to do would be appreciated.

9. lazer310

Apr 23, 2000
    When did you send in your media registration? Hopefully I'm not too far down the list....

As for previous experience, at C4, it was run by a different company, so I dont know if it will be the same. But the press pass for C4 pretty much only got you into the press room, which was just a small little corner with some water and stale bagels. They gave you the press conference schedule for the day, which was only one or 2 per day. The pass got you into those press conferences, and some panels had reserved seating for press. And you dont have to wait in line to get in, in the mornings.
    Thats about all I got out of mine from C4. But it was still helpful for the panels and lines.

10. JayTee_Erricck

JayTee_Erricck Jedi Knight star 2

Aug 2, 2004
    I submitted my request a WHILE ago. Haven't heard any word back yet.

I was granted a media pass for C4 so I don't see why they would deny me this time.

May the Force be with us.

Jay Tee Erricck
    Rebel Legion State Captain, Hawai'i

http://www.rebellegionhawaii.com

11. ArdathBey

ArdathBey Jedi Youngling

Feb 10, 2010
    I sent it in on Dec 21. I heard nothing so followed up with them,
    they mentioned about ten times how far behind they are so if you're still
    waiting just give it a little more time.

12. lazer310

Apr 23, 2000
    I figured I would contact Lucasfilm directly about my press badge. Even though I received an email confirming I registered, they did NOT have a record of me doing so. So I had to reapply. Heres hoping it works this time.

The LF rep also told me that reapplication/duplicate applications will not auto reject you. So, if you haven't heard by next week, I would send an email, or reapply.

13. Robonino

Dec 29, 2009
    lazer310, can I ask to what LF email address you sent your inquiry? I'm having trouble finding my registration confirmation email, and I'd like to follow up... Thanks so much!

And, this may be an obvious question... but do the media passes get us in for free all three days, or do we need to buy passes and the media passes simply extend our access and privileges?

14. lazer310

Apr 23, 2000
    Sure, I sent my inquiry to chris.argyropoulos (at) lucasfilm.com.

He is listed under the contact section of the C5 website. So I think it should be OK for me to post his address here.

By the way, I still have not heard back from them, so be prepared to wait after you submit your application. My 21 days is coming up, so hoping by this Friday I will know.

And the press pass does get you in for free for the entire length of the con. If you are approved for a press pass, you wont need regular badge.

15. Robonino

Dec 29, 2009
    Thanks man! I appreciate it.

16. lazer310

Apr 23, 2000
    Just heard I was approved for a media badge! I am excited, but I'm still on the cautious side. As stated above my original application was "lost", and my new one took over 21 days. I emailed Chris at Lucasfilm, and heard back today.

My advice (for whats it is worth) is to apply asap, and stay on top of it after you have waited the 21 days.

If anyone else with a media badge wants to team up, let me know! I run ihnradio.com along with my co-hosts, and all coverage is good coverage! Hit me up at:
    chris (at) ihnradio.com

17. MattDoc

Dec 10, 2009
    Kinda seems like they REALLY favor any site, blog, podcast, etc. that is Star Wars focused. I applied for my standard photoblog (that is not Star Wars only) and was declined. While I can understand that they want the coverage from the SW-focused media/blogs, I also hope they are letting at least some general media and bloggers get passes. This includes photography. So far the only approvals I've heard are blogs and podcasts...nothing photo or video related yet. Shame.

18. Robonino

Dec 29, 2009
    I'm in, finally. I'm quite excited. Looking forward to rubbing shoulders with my fellow media-types.

19. lazer310

Apr 23, 2000
    Did you get a form reply? Or was it a direct email from Chris at Lucasfilm? Just curious.

20. Robonino

Dec 29, 2009
    From Reed Expo... Just have patience, mine took forever, but I'm quite glad to have been approved, and hopefully so will you!

21. Robonino

Dec 29, 2009
    Anyone get an email update from Reed Expo? I was told to expect one, but have not gotten it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.