main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:SA Medieval Faire this weekend (14/15 of November)

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Quinten_JarVos, Nov 7, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quinten_JarVos

Quinten_JarVos Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 18, 2004
    Just to let all You guys know, the Medieval Faire will be held this weekend at McLaren Vale.

It looks like it's going to be a good weekend and the SCA are going to put on a Shield Wall Demonstration

Hope to Cya's there, oh and come see the fighting ;)

2. Adalia-Durron

Adalia-Durron WNU/Costume/Props/EUC Mod. star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jun 3, 2003
    I did hear about it on the radio, sounds wonderful, might have to 'cruise' down Saturday if I'm up to it. ;)

3. I_am_Kooky

I_am_Kooky Sth Aust. Chapter Representative star 4

Jun 28, 2004
    I think i should go to that. I am doing Medieval History in SOSE at the moment.

4. TK1571

TK1571 Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 10, 2003
    Sounds interesting but i have Bucks night on Sat. so expecting to be hung over on sunday :D i hope.....

5. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    [face_shame_on_you] Bad boy!! Killing all them braincells for no reason.... :p

6. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    Nothin wrong with killin brain cells if you have a good reason :)

7. evil-incarnate

evil-incarnate Jedi Youngling star 7

Jun 30, 2004
    If I were to be married, i'd like to do it with as few brain cells as possible. It's all pain afterwards.....

8. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Beg to differ.....sorry....very happy with my 'man'....he's pretty cool. [face_love]

9. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    Groveller !!!!!
    What do you want from him now ??????

10. Nawara-Ven

Nawara-Ven Jedi Youngling star 3

Sep 19, 2004
    I wanna go!! *stamps feet like a three year old*
    :_|
    But I can't. Damned prior engagements. When is the medieval fair going to be at Carrick Hill again, Quinten? Or did I hear a rumour that it's not?

11. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    Yeah it's not :(

Basically from what I understand is this...

The people who used to run the medieval faire went bankrupt. Insurance to cover the event at carrick hill went through the roof (Thank you global terrorists) and essentially it became to expensive to hire the location.

So... a new group took it over and set it up just outside of Mclaren Vale. It's a pretty location and it's still on for the two days. The Interesting thing is that the people who look forward to the event and the people who are interested in this type of thing still goto it. The casual person obviously cant run accross it out where it is now, unlike when it was at the hill.

But hey, it's still fun. there is Jousting this year and the SCA are going to do a shield wall fight. So it's going to be fun!

12. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    jousting?? shield wall fighting??

argh!!!

you just made it worse! I didn't see or hear any advertising for it, but if I had, I'd have planned things around it, just to be able to get there!! As it is, it's just too difficult to now. :(

Is it the 14 and 15th, cos if that's so, that means it's Sunday and Monday, which just might be do-able..did they realise they'd planned it on the same weekend as the christmas pageant?

is it every year, or like the old one at Carrick Hill, only bi-annually?

do I ask too many questions? :D

13. evil-incarnate

Jun 30, 2004
    yes,
    yes....... you do.

14. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    Yeah that would be my fault, it's ment to be Saturday / Sunday so 13th / 14th.

Personnaly I think it's ****** they did it on the same day as the damn Pagent.

No, No you dont ask to many questions :p

15. Adalia-Durron

Jun 3, 2003
    Groveller !!!!!
    What do you want from him now ??????

Um....nothing?!? He's just been great support the last few months and I needed that....

16. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    sooooooo....what did I miss?? what was it like?? is it going to be happening again next year?

17. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    The Jousting was cool... even if one of the horses was a little shy.

the live steel weapons people were as vocal as ever... nothing like a conversation about eating babies to attract attention to them. lol

As for us :)

Well I manned the SCA table for most of the day, saw many cool costumes. In fact one girl made arwen's headpiece from LOTR by hand, she also had the costume on with the exception it was crushed velvet not silk. Very pretty

We gave roses to female members of the crowd, we fought, we won and died in typically excellent fashion.

When I can remember what I did with my digital camera I will post some pictures of the fighting and the different events of the day..... Oh...

We had a guest fighter, he was the 1st crown prince of lochach (which is what Australia is called) and he was the first prince to be recognised here. He's been fighting for the better half of 20 odd years and I had the pleasure of seeing a man, old enough to be my grandfather fight.

Now.. you might be thinking that a man that old, in all that armor wouldn't stand a chance against people who are younger, quicker and who in there own right are known as some of the best fighters in Australia.

But this guy... he was like watching yoda, he came out with moves, speed and sheer skill that i've never seen in any other fighter. This man was bloody brilliant. Problem is.... lol he comes from WA hehe

18. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    ooh, ooh!! piccies would be great! thankyou Quinten!!

*sits back and dreams of men with big swords, fighting for her...er...honour* :D

gotta love a man with a big sword. and a kilt. kilts are good. (anybody who knows me well knows that I'm a sucker for a man in a kilt - something about the knees, I think :) )

sounds like I missed a great weekend - bummer. next year? maybe? do you think they'd put it on again just for li'l ol me? :D

19. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    well if you contact me via private message you can come to the fighter Auction Tournament. Basically you can bid on a fighter and have one with a big stick end this week

20. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    [face_laugh]
    thanks for the invite, but somehow I don't think that would go down too well with my significant other.....

[face_laugh]

21. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    lol my fiance is going to be buying a Knight :p

22. Nawara-Ven

Sep 19, 2004
    [face_laugh]

I could say a number of things here.....but I'll restrain myself. I don't think you guys are ready for my smut. :)

but in all seriousness - do the proceeds go to any place in particular?

23. Quinten_JarVos

Aug 18, 2004
    Yup..

Procedes go into bringing people from abroard (Much Better Knights) to come to south aussie and teach us the new styles of fighting. anything left goes into the society to keep it running. Sounds simple but you wouldn't believe how quickly fighting styles change when your not in the eastern states

24. starfire-phoenix

starfire-phoenix Jedi Knight star 5

Jan 2, 2004
    I was there on the Saturday, but not on the Sunday unfortunately. I had a costume that needed to be finished in time for the next weekend. I've been to the last 5 faires, and I almost missed one of them because they only started putting up posters a couple of weeks before the event (the one in 2003).

I hope they announce the date for this year's soon :) I'd hate to miss out on it because of something else on at the same time.

The jousting was so much fun to watch!

As for the NVG, all I'll say is 'COME-ON AELLA!' :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.