main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Oregon Meeting #2 - any thoughts?

Discussion in 'Pacific Regional Discussion' started by JediWookie, May 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediWookie

JediWookie Jedi Youngling

May 25, 2002
    Allright, one thing is clear to me - this group needs to meet again.

I'm up for about anything after the 2nd.

What dates work for you people here?

2. ImperialJedi

ImperialJedi Jedi Master star 3

Sep 23, 2001
    I'm busy most of June, so there is a good chance I won't make the next one. I'm open the 13th of June and the 26th and after.

-IJedi

3. WinduWasher

WinduWasher Jedi Youngling

May 2, 2002
    I would have to go with making the next meeting for after the 15th of June... as for a location... I dunno... we'll have to see

-Dave

4. CountBakufu

CountBakufu Jedi Master star 2

Oct 10, 2001
    I am pretty open except June 8th, and the weekend July 20th.

5. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well I am going to Hawaii in mid-June or something, or like sort of later June I guess. I forget, but I am gone for a week, which is kinda cool I guess but kinda lame because I cannot see AOTC in Hawaii where we are, stupid isolated area. I will use my time to work on my writing probably. I will also have to be away from my friends for that time, jesus. I hate vacations, seriously, lol. If it were to Mexico at least I could drink margaritas but this damn country and its stupid drinking laws, haha. ;)

6. JediTah

JediTah Jedi Youngling

May 29, 2002
    I just joined the board today. I live in Portland (Right by Clackamas Town Center) and would love to meet some fellow Star Wars fans. The people I work with thought I was a freak for going to see AOTC at midnight when it came out and my wife thinks I'm crazy too (But what does she know? She's never seen ANY of the Star Wars movies :eek: ) Anyway, I'd love to meet some fellow SW fans. I don't think I'll have much of a chance to get together anytime in June as we will be having out of town family visiting for the month. Maybe though, just depends on the day.

7. ImperialJedi

Sep 23, 2001
    Check which week Bowen. I've mapped when everyone is open and it looks like the last weekend of June (29-30) or in August. Quite a wait, but more turnout.

-IJedi

EDIT: Oh, and welcome JediTah! :D

8. WinduWasher

May 2, 2002
    I don't know if I'm gonna be available on the 29th or 30th of June... I might be making my annual trip to the Indian Reservation that weekend. (if you know what I mean) ;)

I'll try to make my trip in the first couple days of July, but I'll have to coordinate that w/ my buddies.. nothing is set in stone for that, yet.

9. ImperialJedi

Sep 23, 2001
    Whatever works I guess.

10. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    It's like June 15 to June 22 or something along those lines that I am gone. Bummer, a missed week of AOTC viewings. :(

I'm through my 14th viewing already though.

Wait... you married a girl who has never seen a Star Wars movie? Man, you gotta get her to watch them first, THEN marry her, haha. ;) Well unless she says she doesn't like the movies, then you just forget about the whole thing. Haha.

11. JediWookie

May 25, 2002
    Amen.

A girl who cannot understand Star Wars would never survive a marriage to a guy with a wookie suit.

12. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    I got to viewing #15 today. #16 is tomorrow. #17 is Thursday. I imagine #18 and #19 come on the weekend.

I am trying to beat this guy on another SW forum. Last time, I was champion of TPM viewings on the forum(s) at which I posted, so I'd like to see if I could do that again. Last time it was really close. Basically, I conceded and admitted defeat 40 viewings to 34 after the movie left theaters on Nov. 3. I thought that was it, and WizzDom (a poster on this forum) had me beat by 6 viewings, simple as that. Then the charity release came around. I saw it 6 times that week, or just enough to tie me, right? Wrong. She saw it 4 times, which is not bad either, so I again admitted defeat 44 vs. 40. Then the movie actually came back to theaters yet again. On x-mas day, it started playing again at Valley Tri Theater, that cheap one in Beaverton right next to my old high school, JHS. So obviously, I took advantage of that x-mas gift! Haha. It played at Valley for 5 weeks and I saw it 10 more times there, bringing me to 50 viewings. Wizz did not have the same chance. She remained stuck at 44, and I won 50 vs. 44, she surrendered to me.

Ahh, persistence is the key here people :)

I lost 2/3, sorta, but the one I won was the only one that mattered -- the final tally.

With TPM, I was always slow, though. Early on I often trailed other posters. I saw it only 4 times in the first 5 days, which was well behind many people. A friend of mine saw it 10 times in 4 days. I only saw it 8 times in May. I got to 14 at the end of June, but what finally separated me from the pack was just seeing it with exactly the same consistency even though a lot of time had passed. They all stopped seeing it as much, heck I needed my fill just like before. I saw it 13 times in August, my biggest month, 3 more in September and October combined (school hurt me a lot here), then 8 in December, 8 in January. Classic tortoise vs. hare story, haha. ;) The people who had seen it the most the fastest could not compete with my slower, more reliable pace.

But now with AOTC, I have a car, and that has made a huge difference, only my competition is far more unrelenting! I am being pushed to my limits here, haha, ok not really I have all of the time in the world, so bring it on, but point is this isn't an easy opponent.

BuffJedi, the new "competition," has seen AOTC TWENTY times already in twenty days. I'm at 15, so despite being far ahead of most other fans, I'm desperately behind at this point. On Sunday, though, I was behind 19 vs. 12, now 20 vs. 15, so I'm making steady progress by going daily. I'd rather not let him win.

JediWookie and I are going for four viewings in a day sometime fairly soon, and that should also help me a lot. I want to have the lead before I go to Hawaii because I know he'll use that time to catch up or build his lead, which will hurt.

See I take this SW viewing thing very seriously. :) Between Buff and I, we're the reason this movie will be in theaters for a few extra weeks, haha, j/k!

Buff's goal for AOTC viewings was in fact 100. He knows he won't reach that with the box office numbers falling faster than we had hoped, but my goal was 75 and I know I will never reach that either. Realistically I think I'm looking at 35 to 40, but if it comes down to it, I will defend my title and I won't let Buff win if I can help it, so I think I will cross 50...

JediWookie, I need your help here too, lol. I would never see AOTC 4 times in a day alone, but with you, it would definitely be possible to go for a few daily doubles and also try our 4 showing plan. That's my only chance of winning I think. Yikes, stiff competition, just like with AOTC at the box office, much stiffer competition that with TPM! :)

13. ImperialJedi

Sep 23, 2001
    Hey! My plans changed. I'm now open almost all of June.

-IJedi

14. CountBakufu

Oct 10, 2001
    Are we any closer to a second meeting yet? Who is leading this group anybody taken that role yet? Hope all is well with everybody.

15. WinduWasher

May 2, 2002
    I'm thinking this nex weekend? Either Saturday or Sunday... pick a theater... we'll go see AOTC again... Out of convinience I would suggest Evergreen, just cuz that's the theater I live closest to... I have been wanting to see AOTC at Movies on TV for the stadium riser seating they have (I just saw Minority Report there... they have a very nice venue)

Any suggestions from the rest of the gang?

-Dave

16. ImperialJedi

Sep 23, 2001
    This coming weekend I'm running a garage sale. I will not be able to go. There will always be other meetings though.

-ImperialJedi

17. CountBakufu

Oct 10, 2001
    I can't make it on Saturday. I was hired for a recording session from 11-6 so I'm booked for the day. Maybe next time.

18. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well, considering I don't have a car...

I'm going to have another car pretty soon, after the Montero bit the dust.

I'm getting a red Toyota Celica GTS pretty soon, I cannot wait. I love that car, for the money, that is. $20,000 to $25,000 gets you a dang nice car if it's a Celica, but otherwise it doesn't go very far. The only other cars that look that cool and drive so nicely are 3 to 4 times as much, or way more, like a Ferrari, an Aston Martin, a McLaren F1, lol, etc.

I cannot wait to have a car again finally. This is hurting my AOTC viewings. I've seen the movie 27 times, though. Not too bad. :)

19. Strilo

Strilo Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 6, 2001
    Any word yet on a leader or a second meeting?

20. ImperialJedi

Sep 23, 2001
    How about a meeting at a food place (Probably pizza place) the Saturday after the 4th? Eat, then go to AOTC.

21. JediWookie

May 25, 2002
    Hmm... I'll check my schedule ^^

But that's a good idea. We should do more than just see star wars, hehe.

22. ImperialJedi

Sep 23, 2001
    *IJedi looks at a previous post* Hmm, "June 29-30 or August", guess I forgot a month.

LOL, anyway...

Who is availble July 6th, 7th, 13th, 14th, 20th, 21st? I'll map it out so we can make a meeting. Most people work the weekdays, so that's why I'm looking at the weekends.

Right now it looks like I'm available the 6th and 7th. I don't know about my work schedule this summer so I can't make any promises on my part. Don't let it stop you guys from meeting without me.

ttyl

-IJedi

23. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    Well I do not know how much longer AOTC will play at Evergreen. It may be as short as the next few days, ending on the 12th, Friday. I hope not, though.

Nonetheless I'll continue my viewings even if I have to drive to California for each one, haha. j/k, but Movies on TV will have it for a longer time I am sure.

I will reach my 30th viewing tomorrow. I'd still like to hit 55 to 60 if possible. I still do not have a car. I should pretty soon, though. I am calling that lot tomorrow... they should have called me back by now. Grr...

I am behind on the other forum I post at! BuffJedi is beating me 33 viewings to 29, and maybe more, but he didn't post his newest viewings yet. I think he could lead 35 or 36 to 29, ouch. I still want to win!

24. JediWookie

May 25, 2002
    Yeah, it's nearing the end of it's run >.<

We need to have several meet ups. I can't do the 12th, because I have to be at the U of O from tomorrow until friday. >.<

Bleh, college stuff has been a pain in the ass lately.

25. Bowen

Bowen Force Ghost star 5

Sep 6, 1999
    It is at Evergreen another week at least, through the 18th of July. I'm very happy about that :)

I'm at 33 viewings, going for 34 tomorrow, maybe 35 too, but I haven't decided and probably won't until the last minute. Just gotta see if any friends want to get together, then I should be social, but if they are all busy I'll just do my own thang :)

I should hit 40 sometime next week I suppose. That'll be neat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.