main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Members of the Wedding, COMPLETE, Qui-Gon, Obi-Wan mission, humor, drama

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by ardavenport, Jan 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    fun [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] with your describing of the dressing. They are sure in a situation.[face_laugh]

2. nada_smith

nada_smith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2006
    Goody, goody...a new story!

I was really fascinated by the droids that look like plants. When the archbishop mentioned that the Zembu believe all things are alive (or at least should be treated as though they are alive) it seemed to make sense that they might like to create machinery to mimic life while also animating plant life a bit. Very interesting detail.

Also, I love the archbishop! Asking if her toenail clippings were imbued with the force! [face_laugh] And I liked her point about teacups and chopping people up, overstated though it was.

How wise Qui-Gon is to not bother arguing with her or elaborating when it would do no good. I've certainly struggled to resist the urge to argue my point in similar circumstances even when I know the other person isn't interested in listening with an open mind or is just baiting me.

And just why did Qui-Gon disrobe completely, hmmm? Did he perhaps enjoy shocking the Protocol minister and asst. just a bit? Of course Obi-Wan couldn't be outdone! :p

And now they're aqua-green! I'm surprised Obi-Wan didn't grumble a bit at that. He's being a good padawan.

Another colorful and intriguing story! Thanks for sharing!

(P.S. if the muse should grant, I'd love to see more of Xanatos, former temple sanitation aid, and new padawan-terror, Bruck Chun!)

3. nada_smith

nada_smith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 8, 2006
    Oops...I somehow missed the latest post.

Seems I spoke too soon about Obi-Wan and grumbling. It's nice to see him still learning. Besides he seems to enjoy feeling a bit put-upon even as an adult Jedi. ;)

I loved how Qui-Gon narrowed his choices down to the pajama outfit (and that he's not above "accidentally destroying <cough> unsuitable <cough> choices)! Seems I'm properly attired for Jedi business right now. [face_laugh]

And again the archbishop is wonderful! "NO PEOPLE-CHOPPING!" But she's fine with droids w/ blasters that may or may not be on stun. The fine lines we walk to define and defend our principles. And I absolutely agree with her that shutting annoying people up would be a force power I would be hard-pressed not to abuse. That's why it's a good thing I don't have the force.

Poor Qui-Gon, the phallus. Guess Obi-Wan is being good after all if all he's doing is grinning.

Great post!

4. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    Poor Qui-Gon..looks like a giant phallus! [face_laugh] Poor Qui and Obi, having to dress so silly for this occasion.

This is really funny. Looking forward to more.

5. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    earlybird-obi-wan: Thank-you! :)

nada_smith: I am posting this story a little faster than usual -- it's an experiment. Qui-Gon is experience enough to know when to argue and when to not. But poor Qui-Gon tried to pick something sensible, but ended up with something very different. I think Obi-Wan knows better than to do more than grin at his master. ;) Thanks for reading!

obimom: Thank-you! Wearing silly outfits is one of those things that the Jedi Code forgets to mention. ;)

6. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004

- - - Part 7

The wedding went well.

There were no surprises, no more assassins. Qui-Gon sensed a strong disappointment in the Archbishop, when she complained about the traditionalists being 'all talk and no grallets' at the reception. She had wanted a chance for her droids to demonstrate that they could be as fast and effective as Jedi. Qui-Gon graciously accepted her discontent with no comment.

The collective gasp from the large crowd when they first saw Qui-Gon ascend the steps to the raised dais under the flower-covered canopy had not been to his liking. But his only task in the whole ceremony was to lead the the glowing green and giggling couple in their vows and declare them 'united in bliss'. Nealdine and her priests did everything else amidst a splendor of scented flowers, hanging streamers, flags and a flock of colorful floater droids that prompted the crowd in the High Chapel when it was time for them to cheer, sing and stomp. And the Archbishop, standing at a high podium, pronounced her son dis-inherited at the end of the service. The crowd erupted in shouts of joy and derision competing for maximum volume, the air trembling with the sound.

Obi-Wan had even less to do; his only task was to stand nearby and hold a bulky golden chain from which dangled an enormous set of keys. But he grinned broadly at the crowd's first reaction to Qui-Gon's appearance. That was also not to his Master's liking.

At the reception afterward, where Qui-Gon was obliged to bow and accept the line of well-wishers with the Archbishop and her family, a bleary-eyed Senator Chochard marched up to Qui-Gon and announced that he looked like a huge smustick before staggering off to drink himself senseless again. But most of the people just grinned up at him, elbowed Nealdine, winked and congratulated her on her future grandchildren. Obi-Wan rattled the keys whenever this happened until Qui-Gon gave him a cross glare.

He had hoped to leave the party after that last duty, but Nealdine demanded that he stay near, just in case she needed him for that, 'shutting up my sister thing.' But Trahina and Vossi made themselves conspicuously absent.

Qui-Gon patiently waited out the celebration until it got dark when Nealdine invited him up to a quiet dinner in a tower room. It turned out to be a very pleasant meal with just him, Obi-Wan, the Archbishop and her Consort in the dimly lit tower room, the lights and sounds of partying coming in through the windows from below. They talked about the Force, the Jedi and the Zembu and the misconceptions people had about each order.

Over a desert of candied nuts, the Bishop leaned forward, her face gray and serious.

"The Prelate of Bzzoff-Kun told me this story. I don't really understand it and the Prelate said that only a Jedi could understand its mystery. So, since you're here, I thought I'd like to try it out on you."

Qui-Gon shrugged. "I will do what I can to help."

"Well." Nealdine gathered her thoughts. "A little green man walks into a bar on Thuradan-Toom. He's very small and slow and nobody notices him. Until he almost gets to the bar when a waiter with a full tray of drinks trips over him. Everything on his tray goes flying and crashes to the ground.

"Well, the little man is a bit startled at first, but he looks around and sees all the drinks and scattered cups about. And you know what? He just tsk, tsks and raises his hand. . . . and suddenly the tray and all the cups fly back up into the air. The drinks stream back into their cups, perfectly mixed again; even the little stirring sticks with the sparkly stars on them are back in their places. The waiter is a bit startled, but he quickly recovers and moves on.

"Two Thuradans at the bar are so impressed by this bit of magic that they offer to buy the old man an ale right on the spot. The little green man nods and the bartender brings the drink, but instead of taking a seat, he hops up onto the stool, then up onto the bar, right next to this enormous mug that is almost as big as he is, and he hops right up on top

7. Commander-DWH

Commander-DWH Manager Emeritus star 4

Nov 3, 2003
    I admittedly don't read a lot of prequel character-centric stories, but I love your Qui-Gon. He's appropriately even-keeled for a Jedi, but with a splash of sass. I never cared for the Jedi Apprentice series, but I would have read it if it had been more like this. Well done!

8. obimom

obimom Jedi Master star 4

Oct 31, 2010
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] That was so funny!!

Qui-Gon made his point quite thoroughly, didn't he? [face_laugh]

Fun story, I enjoyed that. =D=

9. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Funny and a very enjoyable read. And the end with the joke and Yoda[face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh]
    Don't tell Yoda or[face_mischief]

10. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Commander-DWH: Thank-you! I'm glad you like my Qui-Gon. I like him, too. ;)

obimom: Thanks! Qui-Gon can be very direct and to-the-point (of a lightsaber) when he needs to be.

earlybird-obi-wan: Thanks! I've been looking for a place to use that joke. And I imagine that joke has been around for centuries and every few decades some Jedi hears it and spreads in around the Temple and Yoda just has to grit his teeth and bear it until it dies out again.

11. Luna_Nightshade

Luna_Nightshade Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2006
    That was great fun the whole way through. I love your Qui-Gon and his calm...snark? The interaction as they were getting dressed was also highly entertaining. A very fun read to catch up on while I ate lunch. :D

12. ardavenport

Dec 16, 2004
    Luna_Nightshade: Thank-you! It was fun to write.:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.