main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Abq Mos Alba Costuming Thread

Discussion in 'SouthWest Region Discussion' started by LadyNaberrie, Feb 2, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyNaberrie

LadyNaberrie Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 7, 2002
    Since we're all costumers here, I thought I'd start a thread for the meetings and for help with people's costumes!!

I'm working on getting two dresses ready

The White petal parade gown from Episode I

and

The Dark Senate Dress from the cut scenes of Episode II

I need help with the Dark Senate Dress, no one has made it before.

2. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    Hum that will be a hard one, I have never seen it before. I will most likely miss you on Saturday due to conflicting schedules. But you may want to bring as many pictures as you can saturday and discuss it with others. and get ideas for the costume.

Have you checked out Padawan's? There is a link to there thru the Mos Alba Website. And they have a large collection of pictures of all the costumes. Its where I found a lot of pics for the gold handmaiden costume.

Also, if you are going to look for fabric-try denverfabrics.com you can order swatches of what they have for a dolalr each and no shipping. This way you can see what you can find and they have a HUGE selection of fabrics. Because of teh complicated style of the dress you may have to order the fabric-but their prices are pretty good... and you may be able to find something that works but is cheaper then something simiular here.

Example: an orange velvet here is 21 bucks a yard. I found 2 different styles of velvet at their website for less the 10 bucks each per yard.

I will be working on one as well-the gold handmaid costume. I bought the fabric for the dress yesturday.

3. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    I have pictures of it and Padawans has very limited resources on the dress

4. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    is it in one of the books? the art opf star wars episode 2 may have some art and the Image guide book from that Episode?

5. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    I don't know if it's in any of the books. I got some good information on the white parade dress from the costuming and props forum. but I tried there for the Dark Senate dress but, like I said, no one has done that dress before.

6. bobasparxx

bobasparxx Jedi Youngling star 3

Nov 9, 2003
    Do you guys get your fabric from walmart?

7. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    I haven't been back in the fabric department of Wal-Mart in a long time! I need to check there

8. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    i have been there and keep going to see if i can find something i can use. but unfortunatly they don't carry much of the fabric that i use. or find the color i want.

I have seen some of the parade dresses that have been done before at the rebel legion gallery and they look pretty cool.

9. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    I've been lucky enough to find the fabric for a lot of my costumes on the discount table at Walmart...great thing is it's only a buck a yard, so if I screw up - oh well!

10. SirLancelot

SirLancelot Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 10, 2002
    simplicity pattern 5840

^
    / \
    .|
    .|

good pattern for those peeps doing jedi costumes

11. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    I have pruchased some from wal-mart. the fabric for my long tunic came from there-the $1 rack at wal-mart. but i usually buy fabric for crafting there for when i make bags and such.

but it looks like for my next costume i will be buying from online at least the cloak part.

BTW, wook & brotherHalo this is what I am making next: Gold Handmaid Dress

12. Wook

Wook Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 23, 2002
    ok...now i understand. Guess I never really paid attention to the handmaidens in that scene. Should be a pretty good/simple costume to make...

13. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    Okay, now I am going to post pictures of the dresses I am going to make, so everyone has an idea.

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/amidala/parade/parade1.jpg] The ever so beautiful Parade Dress

[image=http://www.padawansguide.com/padme/dark/padme_dark3.jpg] The mysterious Dark Senate dress

14. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    have you found a pattern for the senete dress yet? I think there is one in Butterricks or Simiplicty for a 18century dress that might work.

15. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    we're using McCall's Pattern 3797 for both of the costumes. Dress C is an A line dress and Dress B has a collar we can fix. we would just have to puff the bottom of the dress. we also have McCall's 4028, which I think would work LOTS better.

16. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    I agree I think the 4028 would work a lot better as well. It already has the form in the fron for the different colour in the senete dress... A little simplifing on the collar and I think you would be good to go, and a little more poof on the upper sleeves.

That is actually the pattern I was thinking of.

17. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    the fabrics is what I'm worried about! Especially that beaded thing around the neck area...I really don't have the skill to bead anything that elaborate!

18. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    Well hum... don't know. Never beaded anything before.

BTW, I found a book that gives instuctions on making your own bodyform for making clothes. It looks pretty simple but it would take awhile to do since you have to wait for wet tape to dry and form to your bodytype.

19. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    edit: nevermind! I know what they are now!! LOL sorry I was having a mind blank for a second.

edit #2: I am also going to be making a better lightsaber. Saber style 4 from Big Yellow Box.

20. LadyNaberrie

Feb 7, 2002
    There are some pictures of the Flame Handmaiden costume at Padawan's Guide.

21. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    yeah got those ones... still looking for the correct colour. one day i wil lget it.

22. Gecko_Fett

Gecko_Fett Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 1, 2003
  23. varza

Nov 7, 2002
    yeah i belong to the board... didn't get much help though. seems like they wanted to tak to people who already have armor. i don't know maybe i just went at the wrong time.

24. BrotherHalo

BrotherHalo RSA Emeritus and Heckler star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 12, 2003
    Okay, it has begun. Just won an eBay auction for a DP Biker Scout bucket. I am SO psyched. Looks like it's happening, Gecko!

25. TK166

TK166 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 15, 2004
    Let's VacuForm it!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.