main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Movies . . .

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by Kitt327, Aug 27, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Blades of Glory is pretty funny!

Transformers eh, I'm in two minds but I might go see it if I'm not doing anything one night.

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    The ol' calendar looking pretty full, is it? :p

3. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Just got home from seeing Transformers, and all I can say is holy %@$# that was fun!!

Hot cars, hot chicks, laugh out loud humour, this was a great flick.

And the best thing was I went to see it at Sylvia Park, on the 30 m wide mega screen they have. Just like back in the day, the way movies are supposed to be seen.

4. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Back in the day the screens were way smaller... so how can you say that? lol

5. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Dec 8, 1999
    Depends on which theatres you went to...

6. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    which theatres ever had screens as big as imax or sylvia park back in the 80's or whatever?

7. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Well obviously not as big IMax, but many old local theatres (standalones not cineplex's) have pretty big screens, the one in Ypuk is pretty lasrge

8. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Hey there Canuk. Chugged and Maple syrup lately?

9. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    It's spelt Canuck! [face_talk_hand] :p

And no I haven't, we have a botle but Rach won't let me chug it :(

10. Checkity_Chur

Checkity_Chur Jedi Youngling

Jan 6, 2007
    How can they say that? 'cos it's true, that's why. ;) Before multiplexes made their way into most cities and towns, screens were pretty large -- even in small towns like Waipukurau (HB, represent!). Heck, Levin has one of the largest screens in New Zealand! And you can't compare IMAX to a standard cinema screen as it's a format that eclipses 35mm, by default. But, even way back when they had similar formats: Cinerama and the like (Todd-AO, Super and Ultra Panavision 70) -- and even plain ol' 70mm prints (the vertical equivalent of IMAX) were struck for films up until the early '90s (but it was pretty rare, by then). But to me, going to the flicks is a widescreen experience (even flat widescreen is cooler than IMAX, in my opinion -- but once again, you can't compare them)... but IMAX has its moments, for sure. :) Roll on, The Dark Knight in '08! But I'll still catch it in its anamorphic glory on the BIG and W I D E screen at Courtenay Reading.

11. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Off to see Eagle vs Shark on Wed night :)

If you have itunes, I highly recommend anyone who likes a good bit of comedy to download (for free) the Flight of the Conchords HBO TV series podcasts. Episodes 1 and 4 are available, and a lot of small featurettes also.

... they are of course New Zealand's fourth most popular folk parody act

12. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Eagle vs Shark

A complete MUST SEE. The Director is a Genius.

It's such a pity (I thought this in the middle of the film) that they didn't manage to get this to a screenplay back in '05 when they first started on it because people will liken it to Napoleon Dynamite... which was brought up at the Q&A post-screening.

It's a shame people can't just appreciate a film for what it is, and feel the need to compare it or liken it to another already existing film, but in saying that; it could be likened to worse films.

I believe it's being released to Hoytts and Village cinemas in the future; highly recommended. :)

13. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah it's been hard out bagged here in Nth America as a complete Napoleon Dynamite rip-off

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Well, I'm just surprised the yanks even understood 90% of it

15. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Yeah, "Eagle vs Shark" was great. I think the "Napoleon Dynamite" comparisons were pretty superficial. Sure, it's quirky, and the protagonists are social misfits. but it's darker, and more adult, and there's a real New Zealand-ness to it. The score, mostly by The Phoenix Foundation, was really really great. I'll definitely be buying this on DVD. (And good to see you JP and SFL.)

16. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Movies Ive seen since moving to Canada (i think this is all)

Spidey 3 - 1/5, complete crap, but then again I never did like these movies to begin with.
    The Ex - 2.5/5, pretty good but had potential for being awesome so left you wanting more.
    Pirates 3 - 1.5/5, complete crap, impossible to understand, at least 30 minutes longer than it neeeded to be.
    Transformers - 3.5/5, pretty decent, didn't like alot of the designs and had Bays usual cra, but enjoyable action all the same, and how hot is the chick!!
    Die Hard 4 - 4/5, great movie, John McClane still kicks ass, oh and Kevin Smith cameo was brilliant

Movies on the 'to-see' list

Hot Rod
    Super Bad
    The Simpsons (this week!!!!!!!!!!!!)

17. Kai_Halicon

Kai_Halicon Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    Superbad = best teen angst comedy since Fast Times At Ridgemont High (which is on C4 tonight). Ah, memories of a young Phoebe Cates stepping out of that pool...

Gah, I'm old.

18. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Dec 8, 1999
    For those that haven't seenn it, or want to see it again, from the 20th they will be screening Transformers on the IMAX screen in Auckland.

19. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    yup, I'd recommend "Superbad" too ... I read one review where someone called it 'the Citizen Kane' of dick-joke movies. Which pretty much sums it up. Awesome.

20. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
  21. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Superbad= a super bad film....lives up to its name totally. lame

22. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    ^ Needs to have head examined!

Best movie of the year!

23. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Yea, I've heard it's pretty good.

Saw knocked up, that movie lacked! It was kinda odd... most of the film had no backing track or stuff and seemed kinda dead silent at times. Also most of the funny stuff from the trailor was in the first 2mins where there was no talking just intro video of character building and credits lol

24. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Knocked Up was funny when he was dancing ('doing the dice') to Savage's 'Swing' song, that'll keep most of Otara fed for this year.

Finally saw Eagle vs Shark over here in Canada. Must say I was pretty impressed, it was soo stupidly awkward that made it classic to watch. Jemaine is awesome (although he's better in FoTC) and it makes NZ look like it's still stuck in the 80's.

'You foolish sucker' [face_laugh]

25. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    Superbadyes it lives up to its name! When judging a film I look at what it brings to the genre. Hmmmmmmm this brings nothing new that I can think of. Standard storyline seen 1000's of times. Standard characters seen 1000's of times. Standard jokes seen 1000's of times.

Basically a film full made to contain every swear word (minus the C word) and every nickname for genetalia. No highlight jokes or scenes. Oh there as a shock, horror, gasp -----not-------period joke. During some of the jokes I think even the young actors were shamed.

Storyline.....3 teens wanting to lose their virginity before graduation.........how original............not. 5 minutes into the film I could tell you how it would end! There was no attachment to the characters at all. The morality lessons were weak and under achieved also. Actually....nothing was achieved but I guess that may be the point?

A very poor film in comparison to American Pie, but not the worst film I have seen though.

I am Legend
    Was this film effected by the writer's strike? The ending was rushed and so much of it was so lightly handled! Only touched upon his madness, no real emotional attachment to his new found friends, a narrative gap after his dog dies and no exploration into the mutants! The CG was average also.

I liked it but I would have loved it with more of a story there and better direction! It would have been biblical with a Charlton Heston cameo lol

I am hanging out for....not....Dungeon Siege - In the name of the King

http://inthenameoftheking.com/

Problem is it is being directed by the new age Ed Wood, Uwe Boll! lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.