main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:NZ Music makes me happy.

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by SithForceLord, Mar 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithForceLord

SithForceLord Jedi Master star 6

Jul 2, 2001
    Hey,

Can't be bothered disturbing a mod to open the old music thread, and since no one comes here anymore, again... why bother.

http://www.amplifier.co.nz/news/36208/liam_finns_letterman_performance.html

/\ check liam finn on letterman, smashing a couple of different types of hell out of him drums (at the end). If you don't know how liam does his set, it's outstanding. Plays guitar, records and loops it, then plays lead again recording and looping, then plays drums for second half of song. Check out above link.

Also youtube me: mysteryman662 as I have Liam Finn concert split into songs and uploaded there.

2. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    He is definitely one talented musician, I think I'm going to go buy one of his albums now

3. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    he has only one, unless you're talking Betchadupa inclusive.

"I'll Be Lightning" - Liam Finn = worth the money.

4. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    MOTHA *&#$ING FOO FIGHTERS WENT %!@$ING OFF!!!!!!!!

Apart from missing the first few songs (N.O.T I.M.P.R.E.S.S.E.D) cause my mate wanted some extra pool, the show was OUTSTANDING. It was a few weeks ago I bought Skin and Bones DVD (an acoustic live set) and I was talking about how I'd love to see their rock show, but an acoustic show would be super... THEY DID BOTH.

1/3 through, at the end of the runway a big circle dropped from Vector Arena's roof and had the whole acoustic band's gear all set up. Then all the extra Foo's walked down, Pat Smear, Mr Heston etc etc etc and they did a stack of acoustic songs, Marigold, My Hero, Walking After You, Ballad of the Beaconsfield Miners. Then back to the rock and amped. 2 hours they played, then another hours taking requests and all sorts.

Dave got so amped in the middle of Monkey Wrench he went up to Taylor on drums and then turned, tripped on an amp, fell on his face, got up said "OH &^%# THAT!" biffed his $3000+ guitar and started SCREAMING down the mic as the guitar it smashed on stage! WAS FREEKIN INSANE~!!!

Big Me was a beautiful duet, he did Everlong by himself just at the end of the acoustic set, which they usually always leave till last song so I was shocked. Then the rest of the band cranked in and they thrashed the end of Everlong together.

DOA and Best of You were a blast... BEST SHOW EVER. :)

(so gutted I missed at least 3 or 4 songs at start, because when they went off they had a handycam and showed the set list, then Dave was asking if we wanted 1 song... then 2, then Taylor asked 1? 2? 3? and then Dave shrugged and asked 3? then they came back and yea, played half a doz more and went on for an hour cause it was last gig of tour and he said they would play for as long as they could be bothered. :D Anyway, I digress, the set list showed a song I can't remember, then The Pretender then like one or two more before Times Like These, which is when we walked into the gig. :(

//sigh//

Still awesome. :D :D :D

5. Star_Rocker

Star_Rocker Jedi Master star 4

Jan 16, 2006
    Finally got Liam Finn's album today.
    Just going through a first listen, and I have to say it's pretty wicked. I wish I'd got it sooner!

6. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Have almost finished reading "Scar Tissue" by Anthony Keidis of Chili Peppers fame. Anyone else read this? Opinions?
    Personally I am glad I have almost finished it, apart from a few nice things to say about NZ the whole book is rather repetitive. He comes off as a cocky, arrogant **** imo, man is he one **** up dude.

7. RogueJediNZ

RogueJediNZ Jedi Youngling

Mar 7, 2007
    [image=http://a755.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/58/l_e92510c3f33b84dd8fde5e2547cf1892.jpg]

Anyone in Welly should deff come and see these three band fly, fully worth the entry price for a night of mean boogie-downs and aural pleasure!

Aside from Liam Finn, who is amazing, and keeping with the New Zealand Music month theme, what other local acts are you guys all into?

8. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Being over in Canada I am somewhat out of the loop of new NZ music.

I do however listen to NZ radio stations every now and then online at work to get my fix. Op Shop are rocking my world especially at the moment. [face_peace]

9. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I'm sorry, but Opshop are generally overrated in my opinion.

10. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    But the clothes are so cheap! [face_laugh]

11. YouAgain

YouAgain Jedi Master star 5

Dec 20, 2001
    Anyone else going to the Mars Volta tonight? my girlfriend suggested it, I haven't listened to much of their stuff, but really liked "At the Drive in" so I'm quite looking froward to it!

12. Klimt_Of_Tornesdal

Klimt_Of_Tornesdal Jedi Master star 3

Dec 8, 1999
    Ticket prices are fairly steep, but must admit I'd love to make it to Billy Joel at the end of the year.

13. SimplyThrilledHoney

SimplyThrilledHoney Jedi Youngling star 3

May 19, 2002
    Anyone heard the American band The Hold Steady? Their albums "Boys and Girls in America" is rocking my world at the moment. It's this awesome blue-collar rock which sounds a little like late 70s/early 80s Springsteen. Great lyrics, and really energetic and inspiring.

14. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    na haven't, might look up itunes store and have a preview... ta.

If you haven't heard Eddie Vedder's "Into the Wild" Album for the movie of the same name. RENT THE DVD and then BUY THE CD. Both are awesome!!!

Also, if you haven't heard of Amos Lee, I'd be happy to email you an mp3 or two. I have two of his albums and they get thrashed. It's my "when I'm stressed and need to relax" music and I've introduced half a doz people to him and they all love the music! Great voice, awesome lyrics and great use of instruments.

15. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Yeah the music for that film is great, the film however......can't say I'm a fan.

The main character came across as a total ****er to me. Reading the book now and it just confirms it, the guy was a douche with no regard for anyone but himself, quite a selfish prick.

The new single from the Kings of Leon is great, can't recall the name, but certainly more great work from those guys

16. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    I enjoyed "Into The Wild" bit concur with solo that Alexander Supertramp was a self-centred idiot. I'd read the book first, so I guess I had some idea anyway.

17. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Well, he seemed to help a few people out along the way (in the movie at least). And I'd say he didn't have much regard even for himself in the end.

18. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Help? I guess some of them, but not the old man at the end and definitely not his family. He treated them like absolute ****

19. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    I felt the same, but I still enjoyed the movie, and love the music Eddie's done for it. I mean, any twit going out without a map of the area is asking for trouble and word has it that there was a crossible part to the river a short way away and so he didn't need to be "stuck there and die" anyway, if only he'd had a map it would have told him that. So it's his own fault. And yea, completely not telling his family was a terrible thing to do, esp when the domestic violence wasn't as bad as the movie made out I've heard too.

//shrug//

20. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    ^ Very true:

Many Alaskans have negative views about those who romanticize his fate. Because he chose not to buy a map and a compass McCandless was completely unaware that a hand-operated tram crossed the impassable river ¼ mile from where he attempted to cross. Had McCandless known this, he could easily have saved his own life. Additionally, there were cabins stocked with emergency supplies within a few miles of the bus.

But yeah not a bad movie overall and indeed a great soundtrack.

So any decent music coming out of NZ at the mo? Am out of the loop, haven't streamed any NZ radio stations in a while to keep up with the play

21. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Fat Freddy's has their new single out "Camel"; think a new album due out soon.

22. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Just buying the new Black Seeds album (Solid Ground) off itunes. :)

23. SimplyThrilledHoney

May 19, 2002
    Kinda digging the new Dave Dobbyn album, which I just bought today. It's getting its second spin this afternoon, which bodes well.

SFL ... I still can't get my head around buying music digitally. I still like having a physical artefact, although I do encode everything I own onto a big hard drive.

24. SithForceLord

Jul 2, 2001
    Na, i'm completely over it. Bloody CD's just sit in a mouldy bag and are a waste of space I think. I'm inches awaty from taking them all to real groovy or finding time to trademe them all... Bang! Downloaded $1.79 a song (so don't need to waste money on an entire cd if you only want one or two tracks, or $18 a complete CD and then onto a playlist - ipod. Simple.

The only thing that sucks, and it's probably true for the physical CD too as JP pointed out, is that NZ itunes store doesn't have a CD release yet that was released in the US back in June and I really want it! The single's on NZ itune, but not the CD :(

25. solo77

Aug 28, 2002
    Is the new Kings of Leon album out yet?

Can't get enough of those guys now that my old faves Wolfmother have broken up :_|

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.