main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

NSWRPF Archive Music: The Great Communicator - A Musical RPG

Discussion in 'Non-Star Wars Role Playing Archive' started by Penguinator, Apr 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Penguinator

Penguinator Former Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 23, 2005
    Rob Kurovich
    ZoSo

The audience applauded, whooped, and cheered.

"This is great so far!" yelled Rob over the din to his friend, LT.

LT, a well dressed record exec, nodded, a smile on his face. Everyone he had seen so far would work out great at his label, Leetness.

But, even as the audience applauded, a few booed. Rob turned around, confused. He saw, at the bar, the members of Dross, and one of them seemed a little tipsy.

Rob, thinking fast, went up to the mic again, saying, "Well, guys, you liked them, but it seems that our next guest, Dross, thinks they can do better. Come on up!"

Tag: Livi-Wan

2. Chukles38

Chukles38 Jedi Master star 5

Jun 10, 2005
    GM Approved

Name: Nicholas (Nick) Robinson
    Appearance: Short hair, neatly trimmed. Black hair, brown eyes. He is 5' 9", and has a medium build. He has no distinguishing features aside from that. He dresses in kahki pants and polo shirts most of the time. In the summer, kahki shorts. Perhaps he needs to expand upon his wardrobe?
    Personality: He's kind, social, but pretty secluded. He likes to tlak and mingle, but never reveals much of what is really going on inside of him.
    Bio: Seemingly one of the few trumpet players left in this rock-and-roll world, he can find it at times difficult to make a living. He has found himself playing the trumpet in scenarios he would have never imaginged, playing music one may think impossible for a trumpet to play. He wants to find a band--of any type--pretty baddly jsut now, as he needs something consistant for income.

Nick grew up in the suburbs of Austin Texas. He was always skilled at the trumpet, playing in Band class and latter taking his skills solo. He moved along throughout the country trying to make a living following his passion--the trumpet. It's been a decent life, but by no means luxorious. He is still fairly unknown, though wishes to change that soon. He also dabbles in other type sof instruments.

Equipment:

Trumpet- +1 to flair; +1 to technique
    Large Laser Set-up- +5 to flair
    Pyrotechnics- +3 to flair

Talent: 5
    Technique: 1+1=2
    Flair: 2+8=9
    Popularity: 1

IC: Nick

Nick pulled up slowly to the club. He had decided not to take the limosine offered him. He really did not like the lavish lifestyle. It didn't suit him. He parked, then opened his trunk. He pulle dout his battered instrument case, his trumpet nestled inside. He was anxious to get this night over with. He did not really knwo why he had decided to come. Probably out of boredom. He locked up his car then walked up to the bouncer at the door. In an uneasy voice, he said, "Uh, yeah..... hi. I'm a little late, but....."

TAG: Penguin

3. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    German Bouncer

"Ist name on guest list? Herr...Robinson? Ja? Ist gut. You may go." said the Bouncer in accented English.

He undid the red rope, and let Nick through, putting a firm hand on someone who tried to follow him.

"Herr Kurovich is waiting backstage. Give name to bouncer, he let you in, ja?"

Tag: Chukles

4. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005

Nick entered. He had no idea where to go or what to do. The bouncer's heavily accented english did little for him. So, he strolle din and found his way to the back of the main room. A band appeared to be readying for performing. Nick wondered how they would play. He also wondered... looking around at the people around him... how his music would be accepted byt them.

TAG: Penguinator, any

5. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Rob Kurovich

"Nah, that won't work. I can't sign Dross, Rob, they're just so...unrefined. Yubari seems like she'd fit in at Leetness, you know, what with the Prog-ish stuff and all."

"Look, I know, LT, but it's hard to market prog, the only major success was Rush, and well..." said Rob, trailing off as he saw Nick Robinson standing in the main hall, with nowhere to go.

"Hold that though, Lt. Bob, I've got to go say hi to someone," said Rob, turning and walking over to Nick. "Hey! Nick Robinson, right?" he said, extending his hand.

6. Livi-Wan

Livi-Wan Jedi Master star 4

Sep 29, 2002
    Dross
    Club ZoSo

"Well, guys, you liked them, but it seems that our next guest, Dross, thinks they can do better. Come on up!"

J.M, Jazzer, Dylan and Stuart all went up to the stage and started setting up their battered equipment- they couldn't afford roadies and in any case Dylan wouldn't let anybody else touch his drum kit. There were assorted thumpings and whinings and more than a few muffled swearwords as they got set up, leaving the audience to have a short break and a mutter. Stuart saw a couple more people sneak in at the back.

Finally, they were ready. J.M grabbed the mike from Jazzer and shouted at the crowd.

"You ready?"

They cheered back at him. Obviously they hadn't heard of Dross before. Jazzer tried to snatch back the microphone, and there was a breif tussle before the singer replaced it on the stand. Stuart groaned.

"This song's called Crim'nal Intent." mumbled Jazzer, before the band started up. The guitar exploded out of shrieking feedback, Dylan attacked the drums like a man posessed and J.M's bassline pounded out of the speakers. Jazzer let go of his guitar and placed both hands on the mike stand, swaying crazily. Those audience members standing at the front could just make out the lyrics among the cacophany.

When the light is fading
    In your worn out brain
    And the rain's cascading
    Down a back street drain
    You wanna have a good time
    But your money's all spent
    So you're out wiv yer mates
    And you've got criminal intent!

Jazzer screamed down the microphone and kicked the amps over. Dylan flung his sticks in the air. J.M shouted something at the audience- who knew what, the music was too loud to hear anything any more- and Stuart wondered how long it'd be before they got thrown out. The song came to an end in the same crackling, whining feedback that had started it.

"You've been a terrible audience! Frag off!" shouted J.M, raising his hands in the air. Someone threw a bottle at him. He fell over.

[TAG anyone]

7. agap_afima

agap_afima Jedi Youngling star 2

Dec 19, 2005
    Robert Baker

Robert watched bemusedly as the band Dross left the stage in disgust. That had actually been pretty funny. Robert noticed two members carrying the vocalist backstage, unconscious. Wow, tough crowd. Hopefully he could calm them down.

Robert approached the owner of the club, Mr. Zurovich, and said, "I'd like to go next."

TAG: Penguinator

8. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Rob Kurovich

Still speaking with Nick, Dross' antics on stage distracted Rob.

"Sweet Johnny Christmas..." mumbled Rob, watching Dross' "performance".

Of course, the audience didn't care. They were still having fun, cheering, hollering, everything was hunky dory with them. But his stage...those....punks! When a bottle hit the singer, Rob almost lauged, and then did, seeing it's thrower: LT.

Robert Baker approached him then, asking to go up next.

"You sure? I mean, it's going to be tough following up on Dross-" Rob grimaced at the thought of them, "-not to mention the crowd's all riled up."

Tag: Agap Afima

9. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005

Nick looked at the man who approached. He heard him introduce himself, adn he responded. He took his hand and shook it. "Yes,. that's right. Uh,. what am i sup[posed to be doing, exactly?" He was still rather confused.

TAG: Penguin

10. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Rob Kurovich

Rob blinked in confusion. Then he remembered.

"Oh, man, yeah, Nick, right? Okay, it's a little crazy right now, so until we get your stuff backstage, stick with me or LT here-" he jerked his thumb at LT, "-and just enjoy the show, okay?"

Rob offered him a seat between LT and his own seat, and sat down.

"Okay, Mr. Baker. Let's see what you've got!" he said, smiling again.

Tag: Chukles, Agap Afima

11. agap_afima

Dec 19, 2005
    Robert Baker

Robert nodded and turned to the entrance of the stage. The piano was being wheeled in. Robert strode out and turned to the audience. There was applause, not as much as for the previous bands, but it was enough to make Robert feel good about his performance. He cracked his knuckles and sat on the bench. The noise died down to a few murmurs.

Robert began to play.

He started out slowly, listening for the crowd to quiet down. Robert picked up a bit of speed as he played his best piece. Robert became excited, playing the piano elegantly. He missed a key or two, but nothing serious. The crowd listened to Robert, fascinated. The high point of the piece arrived. Robert played with such emotion that he had tears welling up in his eyes. The music continued; Robert wished that it would never end, but it did. Robert hit the final keys and stood up. He wiped the tears from his eyes and smiled as he listened to the applause.

TAG: Anyone

12. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005

Nick stammered an, "O... ok." Then took the seat offered him. He was nervouse. He had no idea why. He usually didn't act like this. He was quite a social person... his thoughts were interuppted by the piano playing. It was a wonderful melody. A truly moving peace. Tears welled up in Nick's eyes. You didn't hear music like this muhc anymore.

TAG: Any

13. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Kurovich

Rob stood, applauding Baker's performance. Truly moving.

As he looked around, many others were joining him, and it wasn't long before Baker had a standing ovation.

Rob walked up the stage, shaking hands with Baker as he left.

"Amazing, sir. Amazing." Rob said.

Going to the microphone, he exhaled. "Wow."

The audience laughed, and he continued.

"Really, really amazing. We've had our socks thoroughly rocked off, our hearts moved... I think we need to feel a good groove, ladies and gentlemen. What do you think? Should we have Mr. Nick Robinson show us some moves on the trumpet?"

14. Chukles38

Jun 10, 2005

Nick was unprepared for this. He had just gotten comfortable. Regardless, he stood and made his way to the stage, his case still in hand. He grabbed a stool from off stage and put it in center stage. He sat down and waited for Rob to finish whatever it was he did as a new band came on stage... at least waiting for him to get off and take his seat. He opened his case, pulle dout his silver, slightly worn trumpet, and twisted the mouthpiece in. He thought about what he was going to play. Something slow, and such. Since they are already in the mood... he decided. He lookwed up, saw the audience getting lost already, and noticed Rob had left the stage. Nick licked his lips, and put his trumpet up to his lips. The audience was slightly excited and restless after the wonderful piano performance, so Nick had chosen something a little sad, to bring a different mood. He figured he needed to get their attention, and nothing would do that like a drastic change of mood. And besides, what would happen if thye didn't like it? It's not like he had any fame to lose.

His performance was very basic. He motioned for the lights to be turned off, and for blue spotlights to shine on him. That was it. Nothing else fancy. It really was quite dramatic, and it managed to get the audience's attention. With that, he started playing. The melody was a slow one. It rang with emotion. It truly was a sad piece. One of Nick's favorites, actually. As he progressed through the song, the notes rang from his trumpet beatifully. They almost seemed perfect. He performed all his crescendos and decrecendos perfectly, he tounged every note in a lazy like fashion, making the notes sound rather drawn out and down right sad. The music rang through the room, reverberating off the back walls and coming back onto the stage in a sort of delayed background music. It really did sound better than Nick had ever thought it could. As he finished, the notes rang out and hung in the air saddly for several moments, then Nick lowered his trumpet, pulled out the case, placed his instrument in, closed it, and walked off the stage. He didn't care how the audience reacted.

TAG: Any

15. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Rob Kurovich

Wild applause broke out from the audience. Of course, given the talent of the night, how could it not?

When Nick left the stage, Rob returned, ready for something new.

"I've got a confession to make, people. There has been an ulterior motive in bringing all this new talent in. Well, two motives, really. One: The Starship Tours are back. For those of you who don't know, the Starship tours are a competition that ZoSo has held for a while now. And I'm hoping that all the new talent here tonight will join me on them."

After the cheering died away, Rob continued.

"And in keeping with the theme of 'new', let me introduce to you the rest of my band - Sam Redson on drums, Gerhardt Wulf on Bass, and Mr. Philip Hackle as out vocalist!"

Four spotlights descended, one by the drum set, another on the bass player, and a third at the microphone. Filling the fourth spot was Rob, his amps and guitar ascending from a trap door beneath the stage. He picked up his Les Paul, and, fiddling for a moment, lapsed int a warm, cheerful tune.

The guitar rang clearly, backing the vocals, and Gerhardt thumbed the bass idly, harmonizing with the guitar. Cymbals from Sam were quiet, almost jazzy, and Hackle began crooning in his Robert Plant-like voice.

"Never to stay,
    Always away..."

Rob lapsed into a rich riff, with heavy gain. Very Zeppelin.

"...Where I roam, I make my home,
    Land for a bed, where I rest my head!"

Hackle sang, rich vocals with a bit of rasp. Every so often, whenever the riff reached a cresncedo, Sam would add a little flourish on the drums. Gerhardt's bass playing was funk-laden, and slap heavy. It popped and jumped, creating a groove that one could dance to.

And the chorus came, quick and fast, petering out into a long note.

"Well, the land alone can make me roam,
    To the place that I belong!
    C'mon, now, I can see,
    The one you want is really me!"

Rob lapsed into a solo, then. Warm, rich, full of energy, it soared high, skittering wildly at the high notes, before dropping to a soulful low. The crowd was whooping and cheering, everything was great.

"Always to roam,
    Land for my home,
    But now I dunno what to do,
    Since I've been loving you!"

The chorus came again, and the song ended, rising to a climax, and dropping to the cheers of the crowd.

Tag: All

16. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002
    Dross
    Club ZoSo

The three concious members of Dross were sitting back with the other musicians, J.M slumed down somehwere at their feet where Dylan and Stuart had dumped him. Jazzer was listening to the performances after theirs with contempt. These guy's music was all the same- where was the kick? Where was the volume? Some of the audience had been crying. You didn't cry at real music, Jazzer thought. Well, some people had cried at their music before. He guessed that that was for different reasons.

When Rob spoke again he perked up. Stuart was trying to revive J.M, who was throwing a half-hearted punch at the guitarist and asking to be left alone.

"The Starship Tours? My brother had a poster from them a couple of years back."

Stuart looked up. "Yeah, I remeber them. Some bands made it and got really big. Fame, money, women, the whole lot."

This was the wrong thing to say. Jazzer grinned, his eyes filled with visions of the future where Dross were the biggest band ever, and he was the richest bloke to come from Chessington since... well, ever.

"Let's do it!"

[TAG anyone]

17. Darth_Joesha

Darth_Joesha Jedi Master star 4

Apr 22, 2004
    ic: Maya Yubari

Maya sat silently at the edge of the stage. She had just given the lighting guy a sheet of paper instructing him what to do during her performance. Now she just had to wait, at least she couldn't be the worst she thought having watched Dross' performance if you could call it that. She had just tied her hair in an elegant knot slightly to the side of her head. She shoved a diamond clip in it and stood ready to walk on when Rob and his band finished.

tag: Everybody

18. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Rob Kurovich

"Thank you! Thank you! Please, give a warm welcome to Maya Yubari!" said Hackle, as the rest of the band dissappeared off the side of the stage.

As he passed her, Rob said, "Good luck."

Tag: Joesha

19. Darth_Joesha

Apr 22, 2004
    ooc: Sorry for the delay

Zoso

"Thank you Rob." Maya said walking to the mic. her long black lockes fell in her eyes as she repositioned it next to her grande piano. "Now this piece, I have to admit, is not one of my own. I was in the process of writing a song especialy for tonight but, alas, writing for me is like trying to squeeze blood from a stone. So this is called "Building a Mystery" and its by the great Sarah McLachlan." Maya then turned from the mic to the piano and started playing a quite upbeat solo. A single white light lit her face in a very atractive manner. A few bars in she turned her face to the mic and started to sing.

"You come out at night
    That's when the energy comes
    And the dark side's light
    And the vampires roam
    You strut your rasta wear
    And your suicide poem
    And a cross from a faith that died
    Before Jesus came
    You're building a mystery

You live in a church
    Where you sleep with voodoo dolls
    And you won't give up the search
    For the ghosts in the halls
    You wear sandals in the snow
    And a smile that won't wash away
    Can you look out the window
    Without your shadow getting in the way?

You're so beautiful
    With an edge and charm
    but so careful
    When I'm in your arms

Cause you're working
    Building a mystery
    Holding on and holding it in
    Yeah you're working
    Building a mystery
    And choosing so carefully"

At this point the lights all turned on revealing a backing band provided by Zoso. Maya stood up and took her guitar from a stagehand and started playing that. The music instantly reached a peek as the drums and bass line came in.

"You woke up screaming aloud
    A prayer from your secret god
    You feed off our fears
    And hold back your tears, oh
    Give us a tantrum
    And a know it all grin
    Just when we need one
    When the evening's thin

You're a beautiful
    A beautiful ****ed up man"

At this point the crowd cheered, Maya never understood this, how one word could make a crowd go wild simply because it was slightly naughty!

"You're setting up your
    Razor wire shrine

Cause you're working
    Building a mystery
    Yeah you're working
    Building a mystery
    And choosing so carefully

Ooh you're working
    Building a mystery
    Yeah you're working
    Building a mystery

Yeah you're working
    Building a mystery
    Yeah you're working
    Building a mystery

You're building a mystery"

The song ended on a relativly calm note and Maya slumped back onto the piano stool having used up alot of energy. The crowd cheered wildly and Maya couldn't help but smile.

The crowds cheers died down and Maya turned to leave the stage when one audience member shouted.
    "Do your unfinished thing!"

Maya turned and smiled.
    "It's not very good. It doesn't even have lyrics!" she said back shaking her head.

"DO IT!" the man replied.

Maya couldn't help but laugh, seeing the man wasn't going to give in Maya turned to the house band.
    "Just impro right?" she said cocking an eyebrow. The band nodded and Maya shouted what key to play in.

Sitting at her piano she played a perfect rendition of the Moonlight Sonata before stopping and turning to the audience.
    "This will be called Midnight girl" she said recieving a few cheers. She started the piece again and nodded to the band who came in giving the classical piece a rock edge. In the place of lyrics Maya just sang a strange screech that made the classical/rock piece eerie. On whole the mismatch of styles and genres confused many people but somehow made sense.

In the middle of a difficult string of notes Maya stopped to shout "D major" at the band which got some laughs from the crowd. One A major and a C minor later the piece finished to more applause than "Building a Mystery" causing Maya's ivory white skin to turn a peculier shade of maroon.

Maya walked straight to Rob when she left the stage,
    "Did they like me?" She asked gri

20. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    Rob Kurovich

"Hell, girl, they loved you!" said Rob, applauding loudly.

He went back up to the stage, and took the microphone.

"Hi. Me again. I hope you've all enjoyed yourselves greatly! Please, for the rest of the night, just have fun, kids!" said Rob, addressing the audience.

"And music-makers, please, if you're interested in the Tours, we can meet in the VIP room."

TAG: All - just a sort of rolecall right now.

21. SnipeHunter

SnipeHunter Jedi Master star 1

Aug 30, 2005
    ((gm approved))

Name:Matthew Maynard-Cullinan
    Stage Name: SnipeHunter
    Appearance:Think spike from buffy only younger
    Personality:all the nice things in a person but if he is pissed off he get violent
    Bio:A young and gothic Matt has a high degree of talent but is currently looking to get money and join a band. He playes guitar and sings. Has a good ear for pitch and can hold a note.

Equipment:
    Gibson SG
    DPA
    Marshall 100W

Talent:4
    Technique:3
    Flair:1

Popularity:1

22. Penguinator

May 23, 2005
    OOC: People - we need to post to continue. I'm waiting on you.

23. agap_afima

Dec 19, 2005
    Robert Baker
    Club ZoSo

Robert perked up when he heard the mention of tours. Excitedly, he started towards the VIP room. This could make his career for life, so Robert wasn't going to just stand around.

TAG: All
    OOC: Sorry about the short post.

24. Darth_Joesha

Apr 22, 2004

"Thank you Rob. I appriciate all this." Maya said smiling at the man before walking off backstage. Apon hearing Rob talking to the crowd Maya made her way to the VIP room. She noticed Robert was heading there too.
    "You were very good. Your piano skills are amazing!" Maya said to him as she caught up.

tag: Robert, Rob, anyone else

25. Livi-Wan

Sep 29, 2002
    Dross

The band had listened, bored, to Maya Yubari's performance. None of them had much time for that kind of prog-ish stuff, though secretly Stuart had liked the improvised song. He also thought Ms Yubari was very pretty, but he knew by now to keep his thoughts to himself as either Jazzer or J.M or, horror of horrors, both, would taunt him mercilessly until he was dead from shame and embarassment.

J.M had, by now, recovered, so the band got up and went over to the V.I.P lounge to discuss the Tours.

[TAG anyone]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.